HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The MLD 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL: Regina Capitals vs. Cornell Big Red

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2013, 06:49 AM
  #26
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,203
vCash: 500
Yuri Lebedev is another player I would rather see on a 4th line. I know VanI wants him to be a glue guy on this line because he in fact was a very physical player. Sadly for Lebedev he simply wasn't big enough and was easily nullified in '76 when he faced NHL class opposition.

He would suit better as a fore-checking energy line type of player with big people.



PS. I'm sorry for doing some assassinations this late but I wasn't around too much when we were doing them.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 06:52 AM
  #27
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,203
vCash: 500
Also I'm surprised by all this love for the old soviets and no one picked Viktor Zhluktov.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:00 AM
  #28
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Yuri Lebedev is another player I would rather see on a 4th line. I know VanI wants him to be a glue guy on this line because he in fact was a very physical player. Sadly for Lebedev he simply wasn't big enough and was easily nullified in '76 when he faced NHL class opposition.

He would suit better as a fore-checking energy line type of player with big people.



PS. I'm sorry for doing some assassinations this late but I wasn't around too much when we were doing them.
Don't be sorry - the more discussion about players the better. IMO, that's the whole point of these things.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  #29
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Also I'm surprised by all this love for the old soviets and no one picked Viktor Zhluktov.
He's pretty high on my list going into the AAA.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:03 PM
  #30
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Don't be sorry - the more discussion about players the better. IMO, that's the whole point of these things.
Well, I agree but it feels bad doing it in the finals.

Quote:
He's pretty high on my list going into the AAA.
Now, him, Droz and Yuri on a first line in AAA would've been something. Now Zhluktov actually has a good showing against the best in the world. It seems that soviets are extremely hard to compare to their NHL counterparts since Vikulov goes in the ATD and the gap between him, Tumba, Sterner and Lebedev (and some other euros) isn't that large as the picks suggests in my opinion.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 01:47 AM
  #31
Hawkman
Moderator
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
He's pretty high on my list going into the AAA.
I have my eye on a AAA player and I can't wait to see when he goes and who picks him. I'll mention him when he gets picked.

__________________
Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:08 AM
  #32
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Yuri Lebedev is another player I would rather see on a 4th line. I know VanI wants him to be a glue guy on this line because he in fact was a very physical player.
I agree in an ATD context. At the MLD I think him a fair MLD 2nd line glue guy. He belongs on a MLD 2nd line as much as a Keith Crowder belongs on a 1st line!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 03:37 PM
  #33
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
Would Lebedev have the upside to lead any NHL team in scoring? Would he even come close?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
  #34
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Would Lebedev have the upside to lead any NHL team in scoring? Would he even come close?
Would Keith Crowder?

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:28 PM
  #35
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Would Keith Crowder?
1st - 1985/86 - Bruins
(T) 3rd - 1982/83 - Bruins (w/ Peter McNab)
5th - 1984/85 - Bruins

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:31 PM
  #36
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Well then.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:42 PM
  #37
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
voting time?? come on, make at least one argument this draft!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:56 PM
  #38
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
I have put a lot of effort into constructing BIOS that are each in themself an argument for the greatness of the players.

Please don't criticize my level of effort.

G'day.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:18 PM
  #39
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
Bios do nothing for actual comparison, though...

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:31 AM
  #40
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
Should we not both engage in the exercise of comparing our teams so that the voters can make an informed decision? If you're not willing to do this, what are we to conclude? It can mean many things, of course, but one thing it may mean is that you don't think that your squad would benefit from a critical up and down analysis of each lineup. That is not a good sign...

I think you're being facetious when you say your bios should do all the talking for you. You don't really believe this. You fostered the creation of the playoff system yourself, complete with spirited debate!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:46 PM
  #41
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Should we not both engage in the exercise of comparing our teams so that the voters can make an informed decision?
If you were objective and fair in your reflections on this series then voters are well informed. Besides, they are a smart bunch. They can make up their own minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
If you're not willing to do this, what are we to conclude? It can mean many things, of course, but one thing it may mean is that you don't think that your squad would benefit from a critical up and down analysis of each lineup.
Do you at all think that the reason why I'm not arguing with you is that I see how superior your team is in every area, as you have detailed in your argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think you're being facetious when you say your bios should do all the talking for you. You don't really believe this.
I never said that. My main point was not to criticize my level of effort because I put a lot into assembling bios that show the greatness of the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You fostered the creation of the playoff system yourself, complete with spirited debate!
Spirited? I appreciate when GMs compare lines and match-ups, imagining their own team's strengths and weaknesses when playing in a series. I like the comraderie, and RESPECT for the players and the GMs, of dialogue and appreciation of each other's line-up.

I do not like the oneupmanship bravado of trying to convince the gallery of how much better one's own is over another by putting down the other. Heck, even line-up assassinations have traditionally been reflective, balanced appreciations of line-ups, not a pick by pick demonstration of how much better one thinks oneself over another.

I don't want every little thing I say to be criticized and twisted against me. But alas, that is what I should expect with some GMs. I regret not having much time to converse with Rob Scuderi last round, as he was quite reasonable and respectful in his analyses. I thought the world of his St. Louis Eagles. It was a quality squad.

I don't have the stomach to battle an enemy, even if it's in mock form. I want to have friendly discussions of the history of the great game without egos or I'm-better-than-you kind of posturing. Some enjoy that, heck, politics is full of such types. Fine. But I don't roll like that.


Last edited by VanIslander: 09-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 05:11 PM
  #42
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
I miss Hockey Outsider's "reasons why this team will win" paragraph followed by his "reasons why this team will lose" paragraph. That was an awesome way to reflect on a series!

Anyone is encouraged to participate in any series discussion.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:38 PM
  #43
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
If you were objective and fair in your reflections on this series then voters are well informed. Besides, they are a smart bunch. They can make up their own minds.
I was. I would expect that you would be as well. But if, as you imply, voters are just going to vote for whoever regardless of the debate, why are we doing this?

Quote:
Do you at all think that the reason why I'm not arguing with you is that I see how superior your team is in every area, as you have detailed in your argument?
This just in - describing why your team has an advantage in EIGHT of NINETEEN starting spots now means that you think your team "is superior in every area"!

Nothing's open-and-shut. If you disagree so much with something I said, then you should explain why. "My bios are my arguments" is a lame way to conduct oneself in a finals series.

And considering we've had GMs here who've ACTUALLY gone and declared an advantage for themselves at every position up and down the lineup, I'm really surprised that NOW is the time you've chosen to apparently make some sort of a stand against comparative series debate.

Quote:
I never said that. My main point was not to criticize my level of effort because I put a lot into assembling bios that show the greatness of the players.
OK, I won't criticize your efforts. Because it appears you're actually making an effort to not talk about the players in the series. You're doing a great job of that. I still question why, though.

Quote:
Spirited? I appreciate when GMs compare lines and match-ups, imagining their own team's strengths and weaknesses when playing in a series. I like the comraderie, and RESPECT for the players and the GMs, of dialogue and appreciation of each other's line-up.
This series started like any other series between any two GMs sharing mutual respect. There was nothing in my opening volley that signified a lack of camaraderie, respect, or appreciation, and I'm pretty sure I've been very vocal in my desire for dialogue.

Quote:
I do not like the oneupmanship bravado of trying to convince the gallery of how much better one's own is over another by putting down the other. Heck, even line-up assassinations have traditionally been reflective, balanced appreciations of line-ups, not a pick by pick demonstration of how much better one thinks oneself over another.
Describing the advantages one's lineup has is "oneupsmanship" now?

Quote:
I don't want every little thing I say to be criticized and twisted against me. But alas, that is what I should expect with some GMs. I regret not having much time to converse with Rob Scuderi last round, as he was quite reasonable and respectful in his analyses. I thought the world of his St. Louis Eagles. It was a quality squad.
I agree Rob Scuderi is a great GM.

Do you expect every person to debate exactly the same?

Quote:
I don't have the stomach to battle an enemy, even if it's in mock form. I want to have friendly discussions of the history of the great game without egos or I'm-better-than-you kind of posturing. Some enjoy that, heck, politics is full of such types. Fine. But I don't roll like that.
That's not my problem that you took a run of the mill series debate as "ego" or "I'm-better-than-you" posturing. There is no such attitude in my posts.

I'm genuinely disappointed that you've robbed me of the chance to have a real MLD final.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
  #44
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:00 PM
  #45
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
More like:


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-16-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: embedded youtube
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:02 PM
  #46
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,870
vCash: 500
well then

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:13 PM
  #47
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
well then
indeed

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:25 PM
  #48
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'm genuinely disappointed that you've robbed me of the chance to have a real MLD final.
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
There was nothing in my opening volley that signified a lack of camaraderie, respect, or appreciation,...
Other than your blow by blow account of how in EVERY respect your team is better or equivalent to mine. There was not even one (not one) respect in which you saw my team as having any advantage.

As I said at the time, by your analysis it will be a four game sweep. If you truly believe what you wrote then there is no need for conversation. Your team is simply too good in every respect. Even your goaltending is better, as you present it, contrary to opinions around here, as you put it.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:34 PM
  #49
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,700
vCash: 500
How does this follow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Seriously?


Other than your blow by blow account of how in EVERY respect your team is better or equivalent to mine. There was not even one (not one) respect in which you saw my team as having any advantage.

As I said at the time, by your analysis it will be a four game sweep. If you truly believe what you wrote then there is no need for conversation. Your team is simply too good in every respect. Even your goaltending is better, as you present it, contrary to opinions around here, as you put it.
From this:

Quote:
Goalies: I know Crozier has become an MLD sacred cow here in recent weeks, but Peeters has a practically identical resume and, in some ways, even better.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
  #50
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 38,700
vCash: 500
For what it's worth, I had Seth Martin as the #1 goalie, Crozier as #2, and Peeters as #3 in this draft, with the rest of the starters kind of jumbling together.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.