HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Way around the Cap?????

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2005, 03:41 PM
habfan4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Another option, which probably makes the most sense is reverse order after every round.

If you get first overall, getting your next pick at 60 probably wouldn't concern you a great deal.
The snake draft does have it's merits, especially in a deep draft if you're at the end of the picking order.

Old
07-05-2005, 03:45 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
I like this idea a lot, and I think it should absolutely be implemented as a permanent rule.

I doubt you will be saying this if the leafs have a poor season.

The draft is around to create parity, to give teams an equal chance by ensuring that success is possible for every team.

I really cant believe you guys are questioning the draft system. What league have you ever seen that gives the best teams the best draft positions, its absurd.

Old
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert

The draft is around to create parity, to give teams an equal chance by ensuring that success is possible for every team.

I really cant believe you guys are questioning the draft system. What league have you ever seen that gives the best teams the best draft positions, its absurd.
The New CBA actually adds integrity to the entry draft .. No longer can a team dump salary as Washington did and get Ovechkin ...

With a Hard Cap floor to keep above and the fact the dumping big poor contracts will be nearly impossible in the Cap world ..

Old
07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
So you are suggesting the Leafs would pick the best player available.

Why thanks.

Now don't come back here questioning Leaf prospects cuz, that would be like hypocritical.

Old
07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Why does everybody want to find away around the Cap?
to win.

Quote:
What's so wrong with a level playinig field?
no, no, no. the question should be: why should the toronto's, detroit's, and philadelphia's play on the same playing field as the carolina's, pittsburgh's, and anaheim's?

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather see the Leafs wint the Cup fair and square playing by the same rules as everybody else instead of exploiting some loophole and filling their rosters with high-salaried guys so other teams fans can come in here and say "whatever you just bought the Cup?"
oh, please. what is this, share time in the 2nd grade?

and don't tell me your are that naive as to think that only the leafs would exploit loopholes.

besides, exploiting loopholes is NOT cheating. if teams stay within the rules of the CBA, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a little creative.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be way more satisfying to win because you were the best, plain and simple?
a win is a win is a win.

Old
07-05-2005, 06:10 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill 'Em All
no, no, no. the question should be: why should the toronto's, detroit's, and philadelphia's play on the same playing field as the carolina's, pittsburgh's, and anaheim's?
Umm, cause they are all franchises in the exact same league?

Old
07-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:
Umm, cause they are all franchises in the exact same league?
umm, so?

do they all turn out the same profit, have the same funds to compete, have the same radio+tv deals, bring in the same number of fans, too?

Old
07-06-2005, 12:02 AM
timlap

Quote:

Who said the best teams should have the best draft positions? Not me. Reply to the right post, please.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:08 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:

What league have you ever seen shut down for a year?

What league allows teams that lose money to dictate how the other teams spend thier money?

What league actually pays to be on network TV?

The NHL is quite absurd, I like the random draft idea though.

Old
07-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill 'Em All
Perhaps Toronto, Detroit and Philly should start their own little 3-team super-spender league! I don't think they'd be missed all that much.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
Perhaps Toronto, Detroit and Philly should start their own little 3-team super-spender league! I don't think they'd be missed all that much.
Yeah, the NHL would never miss 3 of it's top revenue-producers.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Might throw some other big league teams in there and get the rest into the tier 2 grouping some have wanted all along.

Glad you support the creation of a tiered North American Hockey League.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Fozz

I guess some people don't recognize sarcasm when they see it...

Old
07-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I guess some people don't recognize sarcasm when they see it...
You're right when you are labelled a troll first by your actions , its really hard to see the sarcasm in your posts or take you seriously for that matter as well.

For your reputation proceeds you !!!!!..

Old
07-06-2005, 09:10 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Here is how you go around the cap: Sign the player for 500 K and then sign his wife, kids, parents, etc as special consultants for 10 million!

Old
07-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
Here is how you go around the cap: Sign the player for 500 K and then sign his wife, kids, parents, etc as special consultants for 10 million!
My new one is to offer the player profit sharing in the company .. Profit Sharing occurs from after tax dollars .. What teams do with their profits is up to them ..

The Leafs will make 30-40 mil profit under the new NHL system .. You could offer the UFA a smaller base and 10% profit sharing .. Make him a true partner in the Business and none of this 54% nonsense.

At 10% the player would make $3 - $4 mil in addition to his NHL contract, and have a vested interest to perform at his highest level as his reward would go as the teams did proportionately ..

Old
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
And he makes an appearance.

Another thought would be:

Each year, corporations pay to advertise around the rink, on Leafs TV, on the scoreboard etc.

Let's say for a change we have the Leafs pay Sony and Nike (for example) $4 million /year for the use of their respective copyrighted logos and charge little to nothing to them for airtime and board space. In return, those corporations have endorsement deals with a few Leafs, for instance, Pronger (just for the heck of it again ) could have an endorsement deal in place that would pay Pronger $4 million per just to voice act a few ads as long as he's a member of the team paying for their trademark rights which of course he would be at a reasonable $ 1 million per year salary.

Salary on books come down, corporate sponsership costs go up, therefore so do operating costs resulting in a lower reported profit which would likely mean less shelled out in revenue sharing.

Old
07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The Leafs sign the player to both an AHL only contract and an NHL contract at the same time split the difference and pay him simultaneously for both, knowing full well he can't be in two places at the same time.

If the NHL doesn't like that .. Then perhaps MLSE could partner up with a Euro team ..

Offer to invest $4 mil in the Euro team and under the terms that they sign Leafs new UFA to a $3 mil guaranteed contract with an NHL out clause to return to the NHL.. If they picked a Swiss team they could put the money directly into the players Swiss bank account where I am sure the big Stars put some of their money already today ..

What is Robert Svehla doing these days and does his team Dukla Trencin in the Slovak league still need funding ??

Old
07-06-2005, 09:51 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

I could see the press conference now:

We like to introduce the latest acquisition by the Toronto Maple Leafs, Chris Pronger. Mr Pronger has signed a 6 year deal worth 3 million dollars (stunned silence)

In addition we would like to announce the signing of Mrs Pronger as a special consultant to the #1 defensemen, Mrs Pronger, who will receive 7.5 million annually for the next 6 years. (McCabe drools and then Homer slaps his forehead when reality sinks in, while in Carolina Peter Karmanos finds his "will drop pants for fans sign)

Old
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Well of course there is the obvious answer right under everyone noses ..

The new CBA will have a set of rules that determine punishment for Cap violations and revenue hiding actions ..

Here is what the NHL's last proposal included ..

Quote:

JOINT AUDIT CONTROLS FOR CALCULATION OF CLUB REVENUES AND CAP VIOLATIONS

-- Each year's accounting will be performed by an independent accounting firm jointly selected by the NHL and the NHLPA.

-- Mandatory $2 million fine and loss of 1st Round Draft Pick for first Club offense for failure to disclose required financial information.

-- Mandatory $5 million fine and loss of 1st Round Draft Pick for second Club offense for failure to disclosed required financial information.
So the Leafs blatantly and obviously violate the Cap and sign and pay Pronger his full amount and only register a portion with the league as contract to fit under the cap.

When all the dust settles the Leafs will be fined $2 mil and the loss of a draft pick ..

If they win the Cup the money is irrelevant and the fine could be paid from petty cash and the 1st round draft pick would be 30th overall .. BIG WHOPPIE !!!!

Heck that is what the Leafs have been doing now taking on a big contract at the deadline and given up a 1st in the process to win the cup.

Old
07-06-2005, 10:21 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Well of course there is the obvious answer right under everyone noses ..

Quote:
JOINT AUDIT CONTROLS FOR CALCULATION OF CLUB REVENUES AND CAP VIOLATIONS

-- Each year's accounting will be performed by an independent accounting firm jointly selected by the NHL and the NHLPA.

-- Mandatory $2 million fine and loss of 1st Round Draft Pick for first Club offense for failure to disclose required financial information.

-- Mandatory $5 million fine and loss of 1st Round Draft Pick for second Club offense for failure to disclosed required financial information.

Somehow I can't see Jacobs in the authorship of this. This is an NHLPA concession. Can't see Rangers and Flyers getting away with dumping their broadcast rights for nadda now.

Old
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Heck that is what the Leafs have been doing now taking on a big contract at the deadline and given up a 1st in the process to win the cup.
Uh... Except fr the 'win the cup' part.

Old
07-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Uh... Except fr the 'win the cup' part.
But not for lack of trying .. Which I commend them for .. Only one team can win ..

Its not like we are sitting at the bottom getting rid of all our good players and waiting for handouts with $$ and draft picks ..

Must be some reason the NHL feels the need to tear down the Strongest and Best Run and most Profitable team??

Were we getting a little too close for the leagues liking ?? So now we need to give them both players and money just so we can compete for the Cup.

Old
07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Must be some reason the NHL feels the need to tear down the Strongest and Best Run and most Profitable team??
Bettman has no interest in any Canadian team winning the Cup.

It would be best for the health of the NHL if all the Canadian teams were perennial busts.

For the good of the game, it is imperative that only US teams make the playoffs, and better still if they are teams in the south.

Old
07-06-2005, 11:15 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Bettman has no interest in any Canadian team winning the Cup.

It would be best for the health of the NHL if all the Canadian teams were perennial busts.

For the good of the game, it is imperative that only US teams make the playoffs, and better still if they are teams in the south.
It was Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver that received revenue sharing and not any US teams. If they wanted those teams out the league then they would be gone by now.

Closed Thread