HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Way around the Cap?????

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
timlap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
Disagree, if it is done legally why not? This cap will be bastardized at some point IMO, there will be many creative ways teams will find to bend the rules if they choose
If it's done legally then it's not breaking the rules.

And how do you see teams in the NBA and NFL "bastardising" the cap?

Old
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Rules are not made to be broken. This is quoted so often that you would think it came from the Bible. It is a joke, however, and not an argument in favour of anything.
What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say ..

OJ Simpson, Michael Jackson, Robert Blake ?

When in fact even the Bible has a different position on this ..

Old
07-07-2005, 12:23 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
What is the first thing that comes to mind when I say ..

OJ Simpson, Michael Jackson, Robert Blake ?

When in fact even the Bible has a different position on this ..
??????

Please explain.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
??????

Please explain.
Are these examples of circumventing the Law and the Bible ?? Are there any higher set of rules then those to break ??

If Wayne Gretzky can be traded then anyone can and you can really never say never and make it a fact is what I am implying ..

I think Bettman's biggest enemies indirectly by the CBA will be his own employers in the new NHL .. IMO

Old
07-07-2005, 12:36 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Are these examples of circumventing the Law and the Bible ?? Are there any higher set of rules then those to break ??

If Wayne Gretzky can be traded then anyone can and you can really never say never and make it a fact is what I am implying ..

I think Bettman's biggest enemies indirectly by the CBA will be his own employers in the new NHL .. IMO
I think I'm going to stay far away from any discussion of Simpson, Blake, and Jackson.

Is there any higher set of rules than the Bible? Interesting question. Regardless of the answer, I think NHL teams will be allowed to go against the Bible as long as they don't go against the CBA.

Trading Wayne Gretzky, while shocking, was not against the rules.

I'll accept that we should avoiding saying "Never." But most of the time, when we discuss the future, we discuss probabilities. I think it's improbable that teams will get away with circumventing the cap.

Bettman's biggest enemies will be his employers? Sounds like a harsh work environment.

Old
07-07-2005, 12:47 PM
jb**

Quote:
I think I'm going to stay far away from any discussion of Simpson, Blake, and Jackson.

Is there any higher set of rules than the Bible? Interesting question. Regardless of the answer, I think NHL teams will be allowed to go against the Bible as long as they don't go against the CBA.

Trading Wayne Gretzky, while shocking, was not against the rules.

I'll accept that we should avoiding saying "Never." But most of the time, when we discuss the future, we discuss probabilities. I think it's improbable that teams will get away with circumventing the cap.

Bettman's biggest enemies will be his employers? Sounds like a harsh work environment.
I think it is more probable that teams will cicumvent the cap if they can find a way if it only cost money. Most times there loopholes that just need to be found and a team that can afford to pay somoene specifically to find the loophole will. Say a teams payroll was 60mm last year, with a cap of say 37mm this year, all that extra money they make will be profits. they are already accustomed to paying that much and still make a profit. So if they go 10-15mm over the cap and pay a tax they will and still have lower payroll then the previous season and still make more money. Unless they lose draft picks the cap may not be such a bad thing for the big market ,revebue producing clubs. This all an assumption of course until we see what the CBA will look like. If you don't think teams will try to find ways around the cap you kidding yourself IMO

Old
07-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I can't really take credit for my thinking outside the box .. Bill Waters and Sportsnet Panel have discussed this point .. TSN Hockey panel as well ..

The CBA is reported going to be 500 to 600 pages in length and lots of attention to these issues .. Lets hope the they are thorough

Old
07-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Or start doing what football does, signing bonus. Say you sign a really good young player for 3.5 a year and you give him a 5mil signing bonus and a bonus to earn another 1mil if he hits a certain target.

Old
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Kill 'Em All

Circumventing the Cap and "Maple Leaf Square"

apparently a suite in the two condominium towers in the yet to be constructed "Maple Leaf Square" is going to cost in the $2-3-4 million dollar range.

now, with MLSE owning these two condominium towers, who's to say they can't/won't offer FA's a suite for free. maybe just for the duration of the contract, for a little longer, maybe for ever.

anyone think this might work?

- http://www.mapleleafs.com/story.ml?t...4&e=AdminGroup

- http://www.mapleleafsquare.com

Old
07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Is it true that Mats is hiring the Gary Roberts Fitness group for 1 million a year to help keep him fit while on the road?

Makes it a business expense to Mats(tax deduction), and a perhaps encourages Gary to sign on cheaply to the Leafs?

Closed Thread