HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Training Camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2013, 01:35 PM
  #676
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Foligno isnt likely to go on the IR...so he still will count as a roster spot.
I said Foligno will likely start in the opener.

Quote:
They will not go with 9 Dmen for the season.
That's what I already posted

Quote:
I do see them giving Zadarov some exposure to full NHL play for a couple games with the full intnet of sending him back. At least give him some exposure so he understands what the true NHL level play is like.
Why?

Quote:
You could also send Foligno down to Rochester and give Zadarov a couple game exposure if they feel Foligno wont be available until game #4. Not long enough for IR.

If they need the extra forward they could shift McBain to RW
Again why would they bother with this level of manuvering just to get Zads a handful of games? That makes no sense. There is no urgent need to do this.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:21 PM
  #677
jc17
Registered User
 
jc17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Again why would they bother with this level of manuvering just to get Zads a handful of games? That makes no sense. There is no urgent need to do this.
I agree, at this point its not worth it.

As much as i want to see girgs play, I think he should go to Rochester.

I think it all depends on the organizations goals. Whether they want to ice their best team or whether they are following through with the big rebuild.

jc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:21 PM
  #678
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,864
vCash: 500
So we are now down to 27 with Armia on IR. 4 more to go.

Adam and Zads for sure. Then its 2 of Porter, Flynn, Girgs, Sulzer.

EDIT: I'm guessing Flynn and Girgs since they don't need to pass through waivers.


Last edited by joshjull: 09-26-2013 at 02:41 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  #679
AmerksPuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So we are now down to 27 with Armia on IR. 4 more to go.

Adam and Zads for sure. Then its 2 of Porter, Flynn, Girgs, Sulzer.

EDIT: I'm guessing Flynn and Girgs since they don't need to pass through waivers.
with the Ennis move to center, I am starting to think Larsson may be the odd man out.

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 03:11 PM
  #680
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
I'm going to wait until Oct. 2nd to assume Ennis will be playing C.

Also...I'm not using pen to write Ristolainen into the starting line-up either. I see next year's starting D-corps as Ehrhoff-Myers, Zadorov-Pysyk, Weber-Ristolainen. If they went that route early and iced that unit Oct. 2nd I wouldn't be too unhappy if they really are ready. I'd just hope that Regier can trade Sulzer and McBain instead of losing them through waivers for nothing, and that Tallinder or Weber don't mind sitting too often or until injury.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
  #681
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 6,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm going to wait until Oct. 2nd to assume Ennis will be playing C.

Also...I'm not using pen to write Ristolainen into the starting line-up either. I see next year's starting D-corps as Ehrhoff-Myers, Zadorov-Pysyk, Weber-Ristolainen. If they went that route early and iced that unit Oct. 2nd I wouldn't be too unhappy if they really are ready. I'd just hope that Regier can trade Sulzer and McBain instead of losing them through waivers for nothing, and that Tallinder or Weber don't mind sitting too often or until injury.
Sulzer is relatively safe to move through waivers. He was for a ferw days a UFA before he was signed by Buffalo. A team could have signed him but didn't. I highly highly doubt he gets through waivers.

McBain---some teams would take a shot and claim him.

They could also send Risto down to rochester to start so they give Zadarov the try out. then call up risto when Zad is sent back

Porter went through waivers last year and likely could make it through again. If they want to give Larsson a serious lookthen they do this and have Porter as a back up, then keep MCormick on the team because he provides more toughness.

McCorm

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
  #682
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 6,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

That's what I already posted
Thanks for taking it out of context....

I sau not using 9 for the entire season---but they could use 9 for a shorter period...like say 5 games and shift McBain to play RW (basically replacing Armia/Tropp)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
  #683
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So we are now down to 27 with Armia on IR. 4 more to go.

Adam and Zads for sure. Then its 2 of Porter, Flynn, Girgs, Sulzer.

EDIT: I'm guessing Flynn and Girgs since they don't need to pass through waivers.

Sulzer is a no-brainer...no value to me

Then it's one of the other three... and I think it'll be Girgs, but he won't be down there very long.

There's ZERO need for Sulzer on this team, sorry.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  #684
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
with the Ennis move to center, I am starting to think Larsson may be the odd man out.
No chance.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:34 PM
  #685
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
So when can we trade Stafford. I'd rather have a bag of pucks

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:37 PM
  #686
dotcommunism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
So when can we trade Stafford. I'd rather have a bag of pucks
I'm glad you aren't running the Sabres

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:51 PM
  #687
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,271
vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
So when can we trade Stafford. I'd rather have a bag of pucks
As I posted in the Captain thread, your railing on Stafford is getting a tad over the top. By no means has he played all that great this preseason, but he has two primary assists in his last two games--and would've had three had Girgs finished his pass on the OT 2-on-1 in the home TOR game. Both Pysyk and Grigs praised him in postgame interviews for the plays he made on their goals. Rolston frequently goes out of his way to commend him on his leadership with the young guys.

It's fine if you don't like him as a player or think he's a chronic underachiever. But going out of your way to complain about almost every little thing he does or doesn't do is getting rather tired.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
  #688
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
As I posted in the Captain thread, your railing on Stafford is getting a tad over the top. By no means has he played all that great this preseason, but he has two primary assists in his last two games--and would've had three had Girgs finished his pass on the OT 2-on-1 in the home TOR game. Both Pysyk and Grigs praised him in postgame interviews for the plays he made on their goals. Rolston frequently goes out of his way to commend him on his leadership with the young guys.

It's fine if you don't like him as a player or think he's a chronic underachiever. But going out of your way to complain about almost every little thing he does or doesn't do is getting rather tired.
Lol. He made two little passes that even I could make. That doesn't give him a pass in my book. He's been average at best this pre-season, and that's been his mantra his entire career. Average at best.

What else are they going to say about Stafford? "Yeah Staff's pass was sick, but quite frankly my 80 year old grandma could've made that pass."

I think I've been pretty fair with the criticisms during the pre-season, and I've been watching Stafford for a long time, and seeing the continued mediocrity from him frankly makes me sick now. So forgive me for voicing my displeasure. Oh, in the Captain's thread I was saying don't give Stafford an 'A', god if he was even in consideration for a 'C', I think I'd just not watch the Sabres this year as seeing a 'C' on his jersey would make me nauseous.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:28 PM
  #689
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
As I posted in the Captain thread, your railing on Stafford is getting a tad over the top. By no means has he played all that great this preseason, but he has two primary assists in his last two games--and would've had three had Girgs finished his pass on the OT 2-on-1 in the home TOR game. Both Pysyk and Grigs praised him in postgame interviews for the plays he made on their goals. Rolston frequently goes out of his way to commend him on his leadership with the young guys.

It's fine if you don't like him as a player or think he's a chronic underachiever. But going out of your way to complain about almost every little thing he does or doesn't do is getting rather tired.
I agree with everything you said. Equally I think it's odd that you come to Staffords defense, more than any other poster. It seems almost every negative post about Drew is accompanied with a defensive post. It's odd. I want Drew off this team going on 3 years now. I guess the difference is I don't take a shot at him after every freakin game

On the topic of Stafford, Stop Winnin likes to repeat himself apparently.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:34 PM
  #690
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I agree with everything you said. Equally I think it's odd that you come to Staffords defense, more than any other poster. It seems almost every negative post about Drew is accompanied with a defensive post. It's odd. I want Drew off this team going on 3 years now. I guess the difference is I don't take a shot at him after every freakin game

On the topic of Stafford, Stop Winnin likes to repeat himself apparently.
And zzamboni loves complaining about complainers.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:48 PM
  #691
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
And zzamboni loves complaining about complainers.
Only when it's repetitive or really really ignorant. Other than that... Complain away.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
  #692
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 13,270
vCash: 500
Stafford is a 20 goal scorer.... not his fault for your misguided expectations.

Do I want him to play better? Yeah.... Does that mean Im on his ass for every little hiccup he has or dismiss any of his positive plays? No.

Give it a rest.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:01 PM
  #693
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 19,604
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Sulzer is a no-brainer...no value to me

Then it's one of the other three... and I think it'll be Girgs, but he won't be down there very long.

There's ZERO need for Sulzer on this team, sorry.
Agree in full. Nothing against Sulzer, but he's a soft offensive-defenseman who is only decent at offense. At this point I believe they should keep 7 defensemen, with McBain being the #7. If they need more defensemen, they can call up Ruhwedel or McNabb. This allows them to more comfortably scratch forwards and carry young guys they think deserve to make the team.

Regarding Stafford, he's responsible defensively and a strong PKer. I wouldn't mind seeing him gone to free up space for another player but that really makes more sense after this season. I just hope they don't force him in the top 6 if other players are going to be more effective offensively.

Regarding Larsson, it doesn't matter if the top 3 centers are Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigorenko. He should still make the team. He can center the 4th line, which won't last for long. He'll quickly jump up the line-up as a center or winger.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:02 PM
  #694
BananaSquad
Registered User
 
BananaSquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Who exactly replaces Stafford in this lineup? I don't see anyone ready to takes Stafford's role yet.

BananaSquad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:06 PM
  #695
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 18,271
vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Lol. He made two little passes that even I could make. That doesn't give him a pass in my book. He's been average at best this pre-season, and that's been his mantra his entire career. Average at best.

What else are they going to say about Stafford? "Yeah Staff's pass was sick, but quite frankly my 80 year old grandma could've made that pass."

I think I've been pretty fair with the criticisms during the pre-season, and I've been watching Stafford for a long time, and seeing the continued mediocrity from him frankly makes me sick now. So forgive me for voicing my displeasure. Oh, in the Captain's thread I was saying don't give Stafford an 'A', god if he was even in consideration for a 'C', I think I'd just not watch the Sabres this year as seeing a 'C' on his jersey would make me nauseous.
Evenhanded, as always.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:12 PM
  #696
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,989
vCash: 500
Frankly?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:21 PM
  #697
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 13,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Who exactly replaces Stafford in this lineup? I don't see anyone ready to takes Stafford's role yet.
A bag of pucks obviously


Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:27 PM
  #698
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
predictions:

cut/waived
Sulzer - waivers
Adam - waivers
Armia - Rochester
Flynn - Rochester
Girgensons - Rochester

that gets them to 24

Tropp - INJURED
that gets them to 23

Looks like Zadarov will stay... for now

Foligno-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Ott-Grigs-Leino
Kaleta-Porter-McCormick
x Scott

Tallinder-Myers
Ehrhoff-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x McBain, Zadarov
They won't keep Zads up just to sit him in the press box. IF Zadorov stays up, he'll be playing--and I just don't see the space for that right now.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:39 PM
  #699
AmerksPuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Agree in full. Nothing against Sulzer, but he's a soft offensive-defenseman who is only decent at offense. At this point I believe they should keep 7 defensemen, with McBain being the #7. If they need more defensemen, they can call up Ruhwedel or McNabb. This allows them to more comfortably scratch forwards and carry young guys they think deserve to make the team.

Regarding Stafford, he's responsible defensively and a strong PKer. I wouldn't mind seeing him gone to free up space for another player but that really makes more sense after this season. I just hope they don't force him in the top 6 if other players are going to be more effective offensively.

Regarding Larsson, it doesn't matter if the top 3 centers are Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigorenko. He should still make the team. He can center the 4th line, which won't last for long. He'll quickly jump up the line-up as a center or winger.
the problem is the 4th line already has 2 centers in McCormick and Porter. One of them is already going to have to play wing. I think they would rather have Larsson being the #1 center in Rochester to start the year rather than playing 4th line/being a scratch in Buffalo. I don't see them moving him to wing at this point.

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:53 PM
  #700
hizzoner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
If giving Zadorov a few games does not hurt the program I say go for it. a side note-would he not get paid an nhl salary per game--a nice little teaser to bust your buns and be up here next year...

hizzoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.