HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best of the Rest Series: Doug Weight

Old
07-31-2014, 03:23 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Best of the Rest Series: Doug Weight

Our best of the rest series moves on to Edmonton and Doug Weight.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/...s-doug-weight/

Hope you enjoy

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 04:00 PM
rookie boy

Very enjoyable, thanks.

Always admired Doug Weight. Thought he was one of the best leader the Oilers have ever had. This was a guy that had a bad, bad, team around him and actually elevated everyone's play and dragged this team into the playoffs.

Never complained, always faced the media and loved the city. I know I may be in the minority, but I hope his number is retired at some point. While he never won a championship with the team, I thought he accomplished more with the support cast he had than what other "greater" Oiler's would have accomplished with those same teammates.

rookie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 04:56 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
Very enjoyable, thanks.

Always admired Doug Weight. Thought he was one of the best leader the Oilers have ever had. This was a guy that had a bad, bad, team around him and actually elevated everyone's play and dragged this team into the playoffs.

Never complained, always faced the media and loved the city. I know I may be in the minority, but I hope his number is retired at some point. While he never won a championship with the team, I thought he accomplished more with the support cast he had than what other "greater" Oiler's would have accomplished with those same teammates.
I dont read sponsor articles but echo sentiments about Doug Weight.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I dont read sponsor articles but echo sentiments about Doug Weight.
I've never found one that didn't just echo thoughts I could have read on this board or else where. This is the kind of sponsored post I can get behind.

Thanks for sharing.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 05:50 PM
0ilerman
The King

my favourite oiler growing up. absolutely loved this guy

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:49 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
I met Doug Weight on a couple occasions at Barry T's(does that place even exist anymore). He was extremely friendly. He bought me and my boys a few drinks both times and actually hug out and shot the **** with us. Outside the 80's he was by far the best Oiler hands down. Awesome guy period.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I met Doug Weight on a couple occasions at Barry T's(does that place even exist anymore). He was extremely friendly. He bought me and my boys a few drinks both times and actually hug out and shot the **** with us. Outside the 80's he was by far the best Oiler hands down. Awesome guy period.
Shouldn't he have been spending his time working out?

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 05:04 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Lol. Arnott maybe. He always had like ten chicks around him. I believe that's where he met his baby's momma.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 11:15 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Shouldn't he have been spending his time working out?
Believe me when i say that there is zero doubt he was there to watch others. Him and his wife were always tight. She is as fantastic and classy a lady as he is a fantastic and classy man.

Big mistake not picking him up when he was available january 06...or in the summer 05 when we grabbed pronger.

Mind you rem murray i thought did a terrific job in the playoffs and i felt he was due for a goal the last two games of the scf. But rem would have been just as good on dougs wing.
It always made me mad that we didnt check into his availability on the last year of his contract when we grabbed prongs. Prongs was coming off an injury and there was alot of doubt hed be the same player...espedially with the new rules. Doug weight in the summer was on the block already as well but had a good playoff performance in 04.

My man crushes in life, paul coffey, doug weight and bruce campbell (Ash...housewares), and mario lemieux for giving me gold in 2002.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-06-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old
08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
oilinblood

Double posted somehow

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-06-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Double posted somehow
Old
08-08-2014, 04:47 PM
THall4

Loved Dougie Weight.

Been saying for years that the Oilers need to honour this guys career somehow...doesnt have to be a # retirement...maybe introduce an "Once an Oiler, Always an Oilers" section in the rafters of the new rink (like what the Flames did with "Forever a Flame")

PLayers to be honoured - IMO:
Tikkanen
Lowe
MacT
Weight
Smyth
Jason Smith

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Believe me when i say that there is zero doubt he was there to watch others. Him and his wife were always tight. She is as fantastic and classy a lady as he is a fantastic and classy man.

Big mistake not picking him up when he was available january 06...or in the summer 05 when we grabbed pronger.

Mind you rem murray i thought did a terrific job in the playoffs and i felt he was due for a goal the last two games of the scf. But rem would have been just as good on dougs wing.
It always made me mad that we didnt check into his availability on the last year of his contract when we grabbed prongs. Prongs was coming off an injury and there was alot of doubt hed be the same player...espedially with the new rules. Doug weight in the summer was on the block already as well but had a good playoff performance in 04.

My man crushes in life, paul coffey, doug weight and bruce campbell (Ash...housewares), and mario lemieux for giving me gold in 2002.
Rem Murray was a great Oiler the first time around, he was a shadow of his former self during the playoffs. I don't want to say any more about a player that I really like.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
I saw DW in the Roxy in Vcr and I was surprised how long he spent hanging out with us and chatting. I gave him a few easy segue-ways to go hang with his buds because I didn't want to be a pest but he just kept talking to us.

Other players were surrounding themsleves with women (Alex Mogilny had one on each knee lol) but DW was drinking a pint and chilling.

Classy guy, but gave up the copper and blue when he was already a multi-millionaire so, whatever. He's not really an Oiler alum in my books now, I consider him a Blue.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote