HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Maybe MacT Does Know What He Is Doing

Old
01-14-2014, 11:48 AM
KlimasLoveChild

vCash: 500
Maybe MacT Does Know What He Is Doing

To the MacT haters and Smid fan boys out there, have a little gander at this:

http://oilersnation.com/2014/1/14/di...y-just-in-time

Ladi:

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
armandh01

Smid was awful this year. Don't care how warrior he was I was mostly fine with the trade. At 3.5m he was good to go, before someone caught on.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
The win/loss thing is most easily explained by goaltending, but the rest is interesting. And it goes to show that people really are far too harsh on Petry

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Smid has taken a nosedive in his numbers, but he's done it on two subsequently bad goaltending teams. I love his heart. And he blocks everything. Wonder what happened...

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
nally

I would really like to see Petry with a vet top 4 dman.
Bet he develops very nicely and becomes a good number 3 guy.

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Mac-T was also channeling DIONNE WARWICK for that Grebeshkov signing

/sometimesyoulookgoodoutofluck

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
armandh01

I also think Eakins needs to keep Marincin paired with Petry, that looks like a really good combo and maybe stop playing Nick Schultz like permanently.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Smid may be struggling, but as is always the case in these types of analysis, there are massive gaps in the logic of Willis' argument:

Who do the two guys that Willis' reference as being so much better without Smid play with that elevates their numbers so much?

Since he is using Corsi as the ONLY metric, what forward group is predominantly on the ice when Smid is on the ice?

Smid GA On/60 is 2.97 and his GA Off/60 is 3.13. So the Flames get scored less with Smid on the ice than with him on the bench. Goals meaning little of course in the advanced stat world, but they still do have some influence on wins.

Too bad this stuff is over my head, of course, if I actually understood these numbers I would see how terrible Smid really is.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 01-14-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
NedPlimpton

vCash: 210
I don't doubt Mac T as much as most people. I think he's perfectly capable. What worries me is who is (still) really pulling his strings.

NedPlimpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
whoop D doo... a defensive dman who averages 0.6 shots \ game makes his team shoot less..

I bet a winger centered by RNH would have better shot differential team stats than if he was centered by Gordon.
Did the article factor in special teams considering Smid plays a lot of PK and none on PP?

It was a horrible trade for the Oilers from an on ice perspective... I am sure 99% of it was due to things that happened behind the scenes...

Best of luck to Smid the Olympian!

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Beerfish

I said it before, I'll say it again. If MacT today traded Anton Lander and Tyler Bunz for a 27 year old 8 year vet defenceman that was limited in the puck moving department but was tough a shot blocker and decent character guy he would be lauded as a savvy Gm who was improving the back end for spare parts.

Oh, this vet Dman is currently 7th in the league in hits for defencemen and 5th in the league for blocked shots for defencemen.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Tekneek

MacT has always been a pretty shrewd evaluator of players. I remember everyone raging about the limited playing time he would give to Shremp and some of those other young guys back in the day. Turns out he had a pretty good idea that those guys would wash out. I think he is far better at evaluating hockey skills than coaching, and there are lots of coaches less qualified than him behind the bench today. This is the right job for MacT.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
backhandsauce

Brossoit could become a 1A goalie. You make that trade everyday of the week.

Horak was a throw in. If he can become a 3C or 4C then Mac T robbed Feaster.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Slats432

I like advanced stats. But this is one that concerns me to define a player.

If you play Smid in a purely defensive role against other top players, and as a PK anchor, doesn't that automatically kill his "Corsi" "PDO" etc?(And if you play him in that role, anyone who plays with him gets killed too?)

If someone can explain the theory, I would appreciate it.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
ponokanocker

You had to have a pretty good idea that Smid's days as an Oiler were likely numbered when McT took over. He was never a fan of his. It just really shocks me with Smid that he is such a poor puck handler considering where he was drafted. He had to have shown that ability in his draft year to go that high. I guess he just isn't capable at this level.
Yes his blocks and hits have always been awesome, but when he is consistantly giving the puck away and incapable of making a solid break out pass, he essentially pads his own stats as he has to block another shot, or hit the guy that just got the puck back after a bad pass.
McT thus far has made some solid moves, but the team still sucks. Perron trade was a clear win, he had to move Horcoff and got a return without having to buy out the contract. He did try and overbid to add a #1 goalie and top 6 F with size, but both went elsewhere. He added the best D he could in the offseason, who clearly looked much better beside much better D. I think he sees what the team needs, but probably realizes it's harder to accomplish than first thought. The Gagner rumors go hand in hand with this as well. The contract looks bad, but look at the numbers Gagner had to argue with from the 2013 season. If he was on pace for over 60 points this season, there wouldn't be such a huge uproar over the contract. The player still doesn't fit, but the contract would be decent.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
MacT has always been a pretty shrewd evaluator of players. I remember everyone raging about the limited playing time he would give to Shremp and some of those other young guys back in the day. Turns out he had a pretty good idea that those guys would wash out. I think he is far better at evaluating hockey skills than coaching, and there are lots of coaches less qualified than him behind the bench today. This is the right job for MacT.
No, he's far from shrewd. He black listed Penner, he press boxed Stoll, Greene and Torress and they were then traded. He hated Brodziak. If you are a player that falls into that narrow window of what mact thinks an nhler should be you are good, if not out you go.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post

LOLOLO, every goalie every drafted is looked at as being a #1 tender. the oilers thought so much of brossoit in his draft year that they drafted 8 other guys before he was selected in the 6th round.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
dem

Im not even going to read the stats... but everyone who watched knew Smid sucked. Nothing good happened when Smid was on the ice. He had one good year.

My issue is that we could have held on to him until the trade deadline and gotten more of a return. Everyone is looking for a tough dman at the deadline.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I said it before, I'll say it again. If MacT today traded Anton Lander and Tyler Bunz for a 27 year old 8 year vet defenceman that was limited in the puck moving department but was tough a shot blocker and decent character guy he would be lauded as a savvy Gm who was improving the back end for spare parts.

Oh, this vet Dman is currently 7th in the league in hits for defencemen and 5th in the league for blocked shots for defencemen.
all those blocked shots just means he running around in his own zone a lot

Smid is also -7 (5th worst among their Defense) with 1A and playing less than Giordano, Wideman, Brodie Russell and Butler on D

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

Brossoit is an experiment that shows up on your roster 3 or 4 years from now. Smid is the best or 2nd best D-man the Oilers had. No, you do not make that trade every day of the week; you only make it if you acknowledge you are going to continue the 'suck' for the foreseeable future. In addition, it just shows how bad the organization was at filling the goaltending ranks. Unless the team finds a homerun goaltender for next season, it will be another very bleak year.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Smid is also -7 (5th worst among their Defense) with 1A and playing less than Giordano, Wideman, Brodie Russell and Butler on D
How many of those minuses came from his time with the Oilers.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
LSnow

So you say that team that had awful defence, traded an defenceman and he turned out to be awful. Shocking.

LSnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:34 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Quote:

Kinda like how Deslaurier could still become a 1A G somewhere ... There are far more NHL ready goalies with higher upside available for pocket change.
LB was like the 4th best goalie prospect for Flames.. and there are atleast a 100 goalies that i would take ahead of him..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Smid has played on 2 of the worst teams in the league.. Dismissing Smid's blocked shots as running around in his zone is pretty lame considering how much of a warrior he was for the Oilers.
Brodie is -16, Butler -15, Wideman -12 .. D.Smith -10
Not sure how you get the 5th worst Dman . Giordano is -3 and Russel is +1

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No, he's far from shrewd. He black listed Penner, he press boxed Stoll, Greene and Torress and they were then traded. He hated Brodziak. If you are a player that falls into that narrow window of what mact thinks an nhler should be you are good, if not out you go.
Hindsight is 20/20, and even then you're wrong on a few accounts.

MacT did not "blacklist" Penner. Penner was playing like garbage, and got the treatment he deserved under MacT, which uncoincidentally is the same treatment he got everywhere else he's played since he left here.

The only time he press boxed Greene was early in his career. In fact, I distinctly remember many (probably a majority) of posters on here ******** on Greene constantly up until he was traded.

MacT played Brodziak a lot in his time here. It was Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum upstairs that made the mentally retarded move and traded him for nothing.

With respect to Stoll and Torres, if you remember correctly, they were both playing like steaming hot **** when he PB'd them. They deserved it plain and simple.

It's easy to drop a bunch of names that have now turned out and say "MacT benched and ruined them he doesn't know what he's doing!" when you don't look at what was done in any context whatsoever.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:50 PM
AM

MacT didnt look at Smid and dislike his game. But he liked what he could get for Smid more.

That along with the fact that he has some players in OKC who need their chance, thus the reason for the trade.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote