HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mason Raymond will attend TOR camp

Old
09-19-2013, 02:19 PM
goonx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Take a look around the board. This is the first comment that recognized what he has done here.

Comparing him to the third line is ridiculous because his tenure mostly had him on the second line. So compare his contract to Clarkson.

he brings a lot less than clarkson..... He's inconsistent and soft. When hot, he's great.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:36 PM
zeke
#freewilly

It is pretty funny that the lucky, overrated Leafs have witnessed 3 3rd liner from last year all move on to top-6 roles on "Legit Contenders" this year (Mac in OTT, Frattin in LA, Grabo in WAS), while at the same time seeing 2 2nd liners from "legit contenders" come over here to make up our 3rd line (Raymond and Bolland).

maybe the leafs are actually pretty good or something.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:38 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

vCash: 50
I'm pretty sure Mac and Frattin spent some time on the 2nd line.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:43 PM
zeke
#freewilly

some time, yes, thanks to Lupul's injury.

3rd liners always spend some time on the 2nd line during the season.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:45 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

Shoulda kept one of em, we all know he's going to get injured again. Don't think Raymond or Kule have the production to replace what Mac or Frattin woulda brought.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:49 PM
zeke
#freewilly

2012-13

Kulemin: 48gms, 7gls, 23pts
Raymond: 46gms, 10gls, 22pts
MacArthur: 40gms, 8gls, 20pts
Frattin: 25gms, 7gls, 13pts

2011-12

MacArthur: 73gms, 20gls, 43pts
Kulemin: 70gms, 7gls, 28pts
Raymond: 55gms, 10gls, 20pts
Frattin: 56gms, 8gls, 15pts

2010-11

MacArthur: 82gms, 21gls, 62pts
Kulemin: 82gms, 30gls, 57pts
Raymond: 70gms, 15gls, 39pts
Frattin: 1gms, 0gls, 0pts

2009-10

Raymond: 82gms, 25gls, 53pts
Kulemin: 78gms, 16gls, 36pts
MacArthur: 81gms, 16gls, 35pts
Frattin: ---

Old
09-19-2013, 02:52 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

All I see is Macarthur for the last 3 years being the best. Frattin was still a prospect too.

Old
09-19-2013, 02:54 PM
zeke
#freewilly

except for last year, of course.

Old
09-19-2013, 03:15 PM
hockeywiz542

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-goalie-issues

Quote:
Meanwhile, I’d bet on the Leafs making a contract offer before the end of camp to tryout invitee Mason Raymond. The Leafs view him as a potentially good fit on a third line with Dave Bolland and Nikolai Kulemin. The Leafs won't offer too much in a deal, I don't think, something around $1 million for one year. The hook for Raymond is that he could re-establish himself this season and hit the market next year when the cap goes up and get a better deal.

There's always the chance Raymond gets a better offer from another team at the end of camp; you can’t discount that, either. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if other teams called on Raymond. But I do think the Leafs would like him to be part of their squad this season.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Two things stand out

- I saw a quote of Nonis saying they have an offer to Franson they want him to take, and if not they are perfectly fine moving forward with the guys they have in camp.

- Mason Raymond, both in the pre-season game, and the camp itself has looked damn good, and fits perfectly with Bolland and Kuli.

Franson really can't afford to wait any longer. Raymond looks poised to get signed, and it could happen if Raymond continues what he has been doing tonight.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
It is pretty funny that the lucky, overrated Leafs have witnessed 3 3rd liner from last year all move on to top-6 roles on "Legit Contenders" this year (Mac in OTT, Frattin in LA, Grabo in WAS), while at the same time seeing 2 2nd liners from "legit contenders" come over here to make up our 3rd line (Raymond and Bolland).

maybe the leafs are actually pretty good or something.
LA doesn't have very good winger depth, specifically on the left side. If Toffoli was a lefty he'd likely be on Richards' line instead of Frats.

Bolland was also usually the 3rd line C for the hawks.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Bolland was 2nd in ATOI among hawks centres for the last 3 seasons.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:15 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
LA doesn't have very good winger depth, specifically on the left side. If Toffoli was a lefty he'd likely be on Richards' line instead of Frats.

There is always an excuse though. On HF players become better once they leave the Leafs. That's no conspiracy just a fact.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Bolland was 2nd in ATOI among hawks centres for the last 3 seasons.
I've always been under the impression that it was Toews, then Sharp/Kane, and then Bolland operated on the third line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
There is always an excuse though. On HF players become better once they leave the Leafs. That's no conspiracy just a fact.
I know, just pointing out those things. Players definitely take a hit in their perceived value once they join the Leafs. "haters gonna hate"

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 04:37 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
I've always been under the impression that it was Toews, then Sharp/Kane, and then Bolland operated on the third line.
Sharp was an injury fill in centre at times (after Bolland took over the #2 C spot 4 years ago when they traded for Madden), Kane's time at centre was a very brief experiment.

Old
09-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm only using the information on NHL.com, Sharp is listed as a winger.

Bolland has also been 1st or 2nd in draws taken on the hawks for the last 3 years.

That, plus the time on ice stats say 2nd line to me, but I could be wrong.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Bertie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
All I see is Macarthur for the last 3 years being the best. Frattin was still a prospect too.
Except that Mac didn't have to recover from a crushed vertebrae in his spine. Do some research and find out how that affects an athlete, not only in the immobilisation of a back brace but the recovery of core strength.

Bearing that in mind and bearing in mind some of the goofs Raymond played with on his line with the Canucks latterly, I think he measures up pretty well.

One thing Raymond is NOT though (and he wasn't before the injury either) is a physical aggressive player. However despite CDC having a thorn up their butt about Raymond NOT going to the net, I think last night's goal shows he will if he sees the opportunity.

Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:48 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
Except that Mac didn't have to recover from a crushed vertebrae in his spine. Do some research and find out how that affects an athlete, not only in the immobilisation of a back brace but the recovery of core strength.

Bearing that in mind and bearing in mind some of the goofs Raymond played with on his line with the Canucks latterly, I think he measures up pretty well.

One thing Raymond is NOT though (and he wasn't before the injury either) is a physical aggressive player. However despite CDC having a thorn up their butt about Raymond NOT going to the net, I think last night's goal shows he will if he sees the opportunity.
raymond has made the team IMO ....colborne at some point has to do something to show why he was a no 1 pick ......same as carter ashton ......they are invisible ,i thought percy has showed some improvement ,and reilly ......well nuff said ,hell look like paul coffee back in junior

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:22 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Albeit a 25 year old one.....

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:24 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

They should sign him before he plays anymore games. 4 points in 2 games is it? His cost maybe increasing as the days go on. I sure hope they do have some agreed upon contract.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:30 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
They should sign him before he plays anymore games. 4 points in 2 games is it? His cost maybe increasing as the days go on. I sure hope they do have some agreed upon contract.
TSN was talking to Nonis during the 1st intermission and Dave pretty much said they're going to do what they can to get Mason signed.. he also told Duthie bluntly that nothing was happening with Franson, so that empasse will continue..

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Fogelhund

MayRay is currently being MayRay, impressive in pre-season, and typically that continues through to the early part of the season... then he disappears, and has in the playoffs as well.

Even if that happens, and he has full effort... I don't mind him at $1 million.

This is one of his last opportunities though, if he pulls his usual disappearing act, his future employability will be shot. If he continues to be the player we are seeing in pre-season.. all season long, it will be a win, but impossible to judge over the short-term.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:05 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
MayRay is currently being MayRay, impressive in pre-season, and typically that continues through to the early part of the season... then he disappears, and has in the playoffs as well.

This is one of his last opportunities though, if he pulls his usual disappearing act, his future employability will be shot. If he continues to be the player we are seeing in pre-season.. all season long, it will be a win, but impossible to judge over the short-term.
This is what I hear from most Canucks fans.. Mason shows up in pre-season and early October, and then disappears.

I think he has a good situation here where (when) he makes the team, he's not going to be relied upon to provide primary or secondary scoring - in Van city, they seemed to be expecting more out of him to score and put up points where then he has to fight off heavy checking units that lines 1 and 2 get put up against nightly.

I could see how he would whither against these units as physicality is just not his game. But as a third-line checker/occasional scorer, we should see him excel where there is less pressure and he can use his speed on the counter-attack against cherry-picking opposition.

His effectiveness on the PK will be invaluable too - that puts less emphasis on Bozak to be on the PK and use up energy that could be used with Kessel. Mason/Bolland/Kulie/Silent Jay.. 4 very good PK'ers for both units.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Bertie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post

Another urban myth.

What actually happens is that as you say Raymond plays well in the first half, more like 2/3 of the season then with the playoffs in sight AV starts to have multiple brainfarts and starts juggling the lines and usually using Raymond as a "fireman" to offset the slackers and goofs in the 3rd line.

Basically Raymond was good all year with Kesler and Sammy. Sammy was traded for the white elephant that is Booth and suddenly Raymond finds he is on a line with 2 puck hogs (one trying to look good and the other trying to compensate for an injury) Raymond was then deemed to be the one closing down the 2nd line (wrongly as time would prove) potential and shipped to the 3rd where as I say AV played musical chairs.

While all this was going on Raymond was trying to get his core strength back. He actually started up a great partnership with Shroeder and Hansen (last season)..........Schroeder had one mediocre game and AV blows up the whole line.

Quite a few on CDC still think the Canucks would have won the SC if they could have had Raymond in the team for the last 2 games. Also look back at Raymond's performance in the playoffs........it's not great but compare it to people like Higgins, Hansen, Booth, Kassian (all the CDC favourites) and it compares well.

Even in last year's abysmal playoffs Raymond showed up pretty well.

I have a feeling Raymond is just coming back to where he would have been bar the injuries and you guys will reap the benefits. I hope so anyway, because as a Canucks fan I thought he was treated shabbily by most of their fans and ultimately the management.

Last edited by Bertie: 09-20-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:48 AM
MapleLeafistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
This is what I hear from most Canucks fans..
Most Canucks fans have no idea what they're talking about half the time...just thought I'd point that out.

MapleLeafistan* is offline   Reply With Quote