HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Mason Raymond will attend TOR camp

Old
09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
tooncesmeow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Why would you suspect that? So far his MO has seemed to be pretty clear: he feels after 48 games now is the time to load up and make a push by adding vets. See Clarkson, Bolland, Raymond.....

How? This isn't mid season and the Leafs don't look like they'll be playoff favorites. I figured this was a Frattin-replacement with more skill. Raymond has looked good imo but after him signing this team will be 1M leftover to get Franson signed otherwise the D won't look that great, and even then..next year 34M to sign a lot of core players.

Last edited by tooncesmeow: 09-20-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Raymond article stating he'd sign for 925K
tooncesmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Since Nonis became GM:

Picks in:
2014 4th (Brown)
2014 4th (Lombardi)
2014 7th (Steckel)

Picks out:
2014/2015 2nd (Bernier)
2013 2nd (Bolland)
2013 4th (Bolland)
2014 4th (Bolland)
2014 4th (O’Byrne)

The Leafs may not be moving firsts but they're still moving out more picks than they're acquiring.
Nonis has lost a fourth and a few second round picks and received a goalie with huge potential and a center who was elite at what he does not-so-long-ago. I think the point however is that gone are the days of JFJ dealing everything we have for guys like Toskala,Raycroft etc. The first rounders are the one's to covet.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Moore Money

great to see Raymond is doing well so far with the Leafs. He's a good 3rd liner if you don't need size/toughness.

Just wasn't a good fit on the Canucks who need grit in the bottom 6 to make up for the Twins.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Bertie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
If it wasen't clear before pre-season...it should be clear now that our hockey club needs Mason Raymond. He's been very exciting to watch and seems to have chemistry with whom ever Carlyle has put him on the ice with. Chalk that up to the ole' "gotta prove myself". Great move by Nonis no doubt.

Not just that. What most of that rancid CDC lot din't appreciate was that Raymond is a grafter, a 100% two-way guy with a high hockey IQ. He plays people in and also has a wicked wrist shot.

Suffice to say I took this video of CDC today and it was from a guy who named it a season preview video, so how ironic that probably apart from the Sedins, it is almost an advert for what you get from A FIT Mason Raymond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xASDtj_e2pM

Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:49 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
See anyone in the system that is capable of replacing Clarkson, Bolland, Raymond ?

You fill roster holes when you don't have the resources internally and that is exactly the reality of their additions.

Clarkson and Bolland have no challengers and Raymond has proven that even for a depth bottom 6, 3rd line role the organization is a black hole for competition.
You're absolutely right. We didn't have any prospects who had extensive NHL playoff experience.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I think guys like Biggs, Gauthier and Broll qualify as good prospects to fill those roles.

The Leafs lack high-end talent in the system but with the NHL roster as young as it is I don't believe this to be a concern at present.
Next year will be the real test

With the raises and resigning of Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Ranger etc to new deals the entire 3rd line of this year Kulemin, Bolland and Raymond will need to go for cap reasons and then Biggs, Gauthier and Broll can take their spots.

09-21-2013, 09:06 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:

With the raises and resigning of Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Ranger etc to new deals the entire 3rd line of this year Kulemin, Bolland and Raymond will need to go for cap reasons and then Biggs, Gauthier and Broll can take their spots.
I'm sure 3 guys with a combined 0 games of NHL experience will have no problems shutting down the best players in the league every night.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:52 AM
monster_bertuzzi

If you can stomach an incredibly soft player, Raymond can actually be a very good top 9 forward. I guess Im happy to see him catch on with you guys..

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:09 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

Quote:

Not sure if trolling or......................

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I'm sure 3 guys with a combined 0 games of NHL experience will have no problems shutting down the best players in the league every night.
It won't be easy, but then again I'm not the one complaining about the additions of Clarkson, Bolland and Raymond.

However Leafs are tight against the cap this year and have over 1/2 the team to resign for next year including a lot of top end expensive players, so depth players like Leafs 3rd line might need to be replaced internally with cheaper young players from within.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Leafsin2014*

Quote:

You're assuming all of those guys will be re-signed. I wouldn't be surprised if management takes a hard look at Phaneuf and considers not signing him to an outrageous amount. This is not a "bash Dion" post and I do like him, but he is not worth 7M, not even close. It might be time to give the big minutes to our younger D talent coming up, along term investment in Dion means less ice time for Gardiner, Rielly, in the future.

Last edited by Leafsin2014*: 09-21-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Off topic
Leafsin2014* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2014 View Post
You're assuming all of those guys will be re-signed. I wouldn't be surprised if management takes a hard look at Phaneuf and considers not signing him to an outrageous amount. This is not a "bash Dion" post and I do like him, but he is not worth 7M, not even close. It might be time to give the big minutes to our younger D talent coming up, along term investment in Dion means less ice time for Gardiner, Rielly, in the future.
I don't see the fascination with Phanuef he is slow misses the net 75% of the time. Spends more time down behind the opposition goal line than our forwards do. As a result we always have to have a forward play D for him and we expect his D partner to be some superman and constinently be able to cover for him.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:23 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
How? This isn't mid season and the Leafs don't look like they'll be playoff favorites. I figured this was a Frattin-replacement with more skill. Raymond has looked good imo but after him signing this team will be 1M leftover to get Franson signed otherwise the D won't look that great, and even then..next year 34M to sign a lot of core players.
If we believe the premise Mess is putting forward (vets were brought in because prospects can't cut it) it implies we are trying to win now, whereas Mess has gone to great lengths previously to tell us how patient he is and that we should "play the kids and accept the consequences" yet here he is, happy as a clam to be filling our roster with vets after 48 successful games.

Something smells in the state of Denmark.....

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:20 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
If you can stomach an incredibly soft player, Raymond can actually be a very good top 9 forward. I guess Im happy to see him catch on with you guys..
He's been very good this preseason. This team has more than enough grit and toughness (Clarkson, McLaren, Orr, Bolland, Fraser, etc.) to go around, so his game and what he brings to the table is more than welcome on this team. Adding some speed and skill to the 3rd line will do wonders for this team.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Boy is Raymond showing big confidence with the extra ice time. I'm loving his game. I would sign him for his wheels alone, let alone the puck on a string hands. Guys like this are how the Canucks won the Presidents trophy.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:51 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Please please please sign this guy Toronto!!! Ashton is making a solid case for a 3rd line spot, but injuries will happen and Raymond looks like he could slot in almost anywhere in our lineup.

OptimusForever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 02:01 AM
happyaccident
Fire everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Please please please sign this guy Toronto!!! Ashton is making a solid case for a 3rd line spot, but injuries will happen and Raymond looks like he could slot in almost anywhere in our lineup.
I'd say it's a no-brainer they'll sign Raymond, assuming no other team swoops in first. Considering we're paying 9.45M to the combination of Bozak/Clarkson for the next 5 years, two "top-6" guys that barely belong top-9 and promise to generate little to no offense, and Kessel is not signed past next season and Lupul is injury-prone and we have zero top-6 forward prospects, I'd say we better sign up any talent we can find.

happyaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Soth

Quote:
People love to throw the word soft around on players who are not hulking fighters.

MayRay is a very strong penalty killer - imo that means he is NOT soft. He isnt going to drop the gloves and fight, but who the heck would expect him to?

People in Vancouver turned on mayray last year, and I just scratched my head and wondered why. After his back injury he had a bad season - but that kind of injury takes time to recover from.

I still think not resigning Mayson was a mistake by the Canucks. This guy is worth 2 mill so if you get him for 925k then you are getting a bargain.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
He's been very good this preseason. This team has more than enough grit and toughness (Clarkson, McLaren, Orr, Bolland, Fraser, etc.) to go around, so his game and what he brings to the table is more than welcome on this team. Adding some speed and skill to the 3rd line will do wonders for this team.
Raymond might very well be Leafs best player in the preseason and perhaps that is due to the fact he is hungry for a contract, but he still has been a strong contributor none the less.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Stephen

Quote:
The Leafs are a grittier team than Vancouver, so they can probably support a softie like Raymond better than the Canucks did. We'll be asking him to play his speed game to break down a defense, not necessarily have to fend for himself in a big game against Boston, since we have the personnel to take care of the dirty stuff.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:22 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Raymond might very well be Leafs best player in the preseason and perhaps that is due to the fact he is hungry for a contract, but he still has been a strong contributor none the less.
I have to say Raymond has surprised me.

He's noticeable everytime he is on the ice. Comparing that to Joe Colbourne, whom I just don't ever notice on the ice, one of these players came to camp to win a job.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

He has been nothing less than stellar so far.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He has been nothing less than stellar so far.
If he keeps it up you guys may end up losing him to a team that can afford to pay more. It's not inconceivable that someone offer him something in the 1.5-1.8 range.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:06 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Interesting to see who's right

MacLean say's deal is done for 925 if he makes team. Dreger say's no deal is in place. We shall see.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:07 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
If he keeps it up you guys may end up losing him to a team that can afford to pay more. It's not inconceivable that someone offer him something in the 1.5-1.8 range.
Not if the reports of a contract being negotiated already are true.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote