HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov (part II)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2014, 05:58 PM
  #1
Nunymare
Moderator
Rinse, repeat
 
Nunymare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,783
vCash: 499
Nail Yakupov (part II)

Continue here.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 07:39 PM
  #2
Nunymare
Moderator
Rinse, repeat
 
Nunymare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,783
vCash: 499
Some posts from the last one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
Have loved Yaks effort this year but I'm not sure his skill is as high as we first thought.
Perhaps it was just a few odd bounces, but yak has whiffed on some one timers and not been able to get a clean shot away a few times in the past few games. It actually has me a bit concerned that he isn't the triggerman we all think.

That said, I see him as a 25 goal scoring, nasty to play against 2nd line winger. And I would be thrilled with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Fair observation, he regularly whiffs on pucks it seems, that timing is not something that usually needs to be worked on with a #1 overall pick, but it seems to be in this case. Maybe he is forcing the issue, and just needs to calm the nerves in those situations? I don't know, but I have to agree with your observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
Realistically, we have to temper our expectations when it comes to Yak, especially since I still have delusions of him becoming his idol, Pavel Bure. I think somebody on this board mentioned that he could become a Patrick Sharp-type player, and that would be great for this club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yakupov definitely seems to whiff on shots more often then other players but to be fair one-timers are really damn hard to time properly, especially they way he tries to bomb the shots, and especially if it's a hard pass.

I think part of it is he tries for one-timers a lot more often then most of our other players, so he's going to have a greater chance of whiffing on his shots then his teammates because they aren't attempting this difficult shot as often.


But yeah, he needs to get better at that, but it is really damn hard to pull off properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I think Yak's problem is that he's constantly going a million miles an hour. He sees the pass to his one-timer and is just buzzing to smack the crap out of it into the net. This is obviously projection based on behavior, given that I don't know him, but it's the best guess I have. It takes maturity to realize that an accurate, controlled shot at 90% power is more likely to be effective than putting the fury of Zeus behind every puck. I saw a Lidstrom quote to that effect once, that his secret was knowing what amount of the speed-accuracy tradeoff to put on each shot.

All-in-all, it's definitely the more preferable problem to have. Very few players in the world can clock a puck like Yak can. Just a question of slowing it down IMO.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 07:43 PM
  #3
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,429
vCash: 50
To me it is encouraging that as much as Oiler fans desperately want the team to win, they aren't willing to sell low on Yakupov even if it means getting a veteran who could help us in the short term. There is still hope out there that the team can come together as it is.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 08:59 PM
  #4
Shredator
Registered User
 
Shredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 547
I think what Oiler nation is hoping for is Yakupov turning into Stamkos, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.

We NEED Yakupov to turn into one of the leagues elite snipers.

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 09:08 PM
  #5
YesYesYall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredator View Post
I think what Oiler nation is hoping for is Yakupov turning into Stamkos, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.

We NEED Yakupov to turn into one of the leagues elite snipers.
I didn't look it up, but I think playing on lines with proven players on a consistent basis probably helped those players that you mentioned cultivate and maintain an elite level of play early on in their respective careers. I don't think that Ovy had anybody, though.

YesYesYall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 09:39 PM
  #6
Shredator
Registered User
 
Shredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
I didn't look it up, but I think playing on lines with proven players on a consistent basis probably helped those players that you mentioned cultivate and maintain an elite level of play early on in their respective careers. I don't think that Ovy had anybody, though.
Playing with established players is obviously a plus. Winning teams and winning cultures is a plus.
1st overall picks should be able to enstill a winning culture and a winni g attitude with or without good players.
We need Yakupov to prove why he was picked where he was.

I have yet to see Yak dominate a game, dominate a shift or dominate a play.

I want him to be amazing. But im losing faith. He's playing better but his IQ isnt where it needs to be as a first overall pick.

Please please please Yak just dominate.

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 09:53 PM
  #7
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredator View Post
I think what Oiler nation is hoping for is Yakupov turning into Stamkos, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.

We NEED Yakupov to turn into one of the leagues elite snipers.
Stamkos got quite a bit of help from MSL but now it looks like it doesn't matter who's on his line. Ovechkin had no help and Kovalchuck had other young stars like Heatly and Hossa. Yakupov will never be able to prove it in Edmonton if they don't consistently play him top 6 and 1st unit PP.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2014, 10:02 PM
  #8
Shredator
Registered User
 
Shredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Stamkos got quite a bit of help from MSL but now it looks like it doesn't matter who's on his line. Ovechkin had no help and Kovalchuck had other young stars like Heatly and Hossa. Yakupov will never be able to prove it in Edmonton if they don't consistently play him top 6 and 1st unit PP.
Yakupov has Hall and Nuge.
Granted they dont play together ever, but still they are on the same team. Yakupov needs to step up.

How long will it take Oiler fans until we turn on Yakupov? At what point do we get fed up with him not putting up points?

I hope he figures it out soon and starts to create plays.

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2014, 12:28 AM
  #9
sanitysrequiem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Not an Oilers fan, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the from what I've seen the main thing holding Yakupov back is him being overzealous, overeager and him forcing the issue rather than playing with poise. It's very similar to what Nathan Mackinnon is going through in Colorado. Both of them often look like teenagers getting laid for the first time out there.

And yes, it is a tendency of younger players, but a good portion of high (1st to 3rd) draft picks already have great poise when they enter the league. I think Yakupov will improve in this area but I'm not sure how much. And that will determine the level of greatness he reaches at the NHL level.

Imagine Yakupov with the poise of a John Tavares. That would be insane.

sanitysrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
  #10
Nuge93
Stuck in a "Rebuild"
 
Nuge93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
He's growing into a better player. Sure, he had a great rookie year, middling to poor sophomore season, but this year he's been playing very well despite the lack of points.

It also doesn't help that Yak plays max of 3-4 shifts per 3rd period. He's one of the guys I want out there if we're down by one.

Nuge93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2014, 10:55 AM
  #11
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitysrequiem View Post
Not an Oilers fan, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the from what I've seen the main thing holding Yakupov back is him being overzealous, overeager and him forcing the issue rather than playing with poise. It's very similar to what Nathan Mackinnon is going through in Colorado. Both of them often look like teenagers getting laid for the first time out there.

And yes, it is a tendency of younger players, but a good portion of high (1st to 3rd) draft picks already have great poise when they enter the league. I think Yakupov will improve in this area but I'm not sure how much. And that will determine the level of greatness he reaches at the NHL level.

Imagine Yakupov with the poise of a John Tavares. That would be insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I think Yak's problem is that he's constantly going a million miles an hour. He sees the pass to his one-timer and is just buzzing to smack the crap out of it into the net. This is obviously projection based on behavior, given that I don't know him, but it's the best guess I have. It takes maturity to realize that an accurate, controlled shot at 90% power is more likely to be effective than putting the fury of Zeus behind every puck. I saw a Lidstrom quote to that effect once, that his secret was knowing what amount of the speed-accuracy tradeoff to put on each shot.

All-in-all, it's definitely the more preferable problem to have. Very few players in the world can clock a puck like Yak can. Just a question of slowing it down IMO.
Haha.... my keyboard now has coffee on it, thank you.

I agree with both of you... Yak just needs to calm down and play within his limits. It's like you can see his brain going a mile a minute out there and his body following. Once he learns to allow the brain to perform the calculations and translate that into deliberate action (as opposed to frantic buzzing), then he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

In the meantime, now that his frantic enthusiasm has some degree of defensive awareness to it (at least on the back check), he's much less of a liability and we can afford to have him learning on the job.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2014, 04:11 PM
  #12
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,494
vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
To me it is encouraging that as much as Oiler fans desperately want the team to win, they aren't willing to sell low on Yakupov even if it means getting a veteran who could help us in the short term. There is still hope out there that the team can come together as it is.
this is actually discouraging for me, because I gave up that hope a long time ago.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 12:21 PM
  #13
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
This flames fan is quite happy with Yaks development. Still hoping he turns into a Bure esque player

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 12:27 PM
  #14
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
At the very least, we can see that Yakupov is starting to LOOK better on the ice, which had to happen before the points start coming.

And given the fact that he hasn't been given a very long leash like Hall and RNH were in their early seasons, I think he's doing alright. Yes, I know that his game was and is still much more raw than our other two #1 overalls, but there's no doubt in my mind that given more freedom and better linemates, he'd be producing at least reasonably well.

Matt19Oilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 09:45 PM
  #15
ottawa
go habs go
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,321
vCash: 500
Sometime a short leash is what it takes to make a player understand what to do. I've watched (only) a couple Oilers games and this kids defensive game has improved so much...so in that sense your dumb coach succeeded in turning him into a defensively aware player, he just mishandled him while doing that (low of TOI, media circus, lack of communication).

I still don't think Yak is a bust, nor will he be one, but as of now I see him more of a top 6 forward...as in a very good 2nd liner who can fill into the 1st when needed, and he still has the upside/potential to become an elite 1st liner. Hopefully for you Oiler fans, he pans out as a solid 1st liner.

Anyways, back on topic, Therrien had Galchenyuk on a short leash and still does (he was benched for an entire two periods for taking a bad penalty this season) and he's turning out fine so there's hope for both out prospects despite having dumb coaches.

__________________
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 03:57 AM
  #16
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,589
vCash: 500
So no points in 5 games. On pace for 28. Third year player here. Everyone was telling me the points were going to come....

Don't see it.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 04:09 AM
  #17
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So no points in 5 games. On pace for 28. Third year player here. Everyone was telling me the points were going to come....

Don't see it.
I didn't realize that a season was 20 games long. That said IMO his play had dipped a bit from earlier in the season and he needs to pick it up a bit to be fair.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 04:17 AM
  #18
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I didn't realize that a season was 20 games long. That said IMO his play had dipped a bit from earlier in the season and he needs to pick it up a bit to be fair.
I'm just curious when the points are actually going to come. People can keep saying it, but until they actually do... I just see a player that tries really hard but can't actually get anything done at the NHL level.

I'll never in a million years question his work ethic, but there is something seriously wrong with this player... I hate it, because I really like Yakupov's personality a hell of a lot. But gosh darn he needs to be better than this in a serious way.

And unfortunately.... the season may as well have been 20 games long. Our season is long over at this stage. Not saying it's Yakupov's fault by any means, but boy could this team have used a player with more than 1/2 a dozen points on the year.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 07:43 AM
  #19
oilphan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
Neutered

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 09:43 AM
  #20
Kardi
Registered User
 
Kardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,914
vCash: 500
Hall comes back and hes back to playing around 13 min a game

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 10:04 AM
  #21
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So no points in 5 games. On pace for 28. Third year player here. Everyone was telling me the points were going to come....

Don't see it.
Considering that he isn't getting much ice time and his main center is Arcobello, I think he's doing as well as he can.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2014, 10:15 AM
  #22
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Yaks defensive game has improved and his offensive game evaporated under Eakins. Eakins throws him under the bus tho by not allowing him to play on a different line other than the third line all season. I deem that unfair especially when both the top line and the second line has struggled all season.

I'd like to see Yakupov on a line with Nuge longer than one period or one game,.. but rather three or so games. It cant hurt. This season is over already before American Thanksgiving.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2014, 10:46 AM
  #23
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 500
Wow is this guy even developing into the world class sniper we drafted him at #1 for.

Amazing play as of late, so dominate out there.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2014, 11:07 AM
  #24
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 21,110
vCash: 500
The guy looks good out there but at some point he needs to start producing.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2014, 11:09 AM
  #25
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
The guy looks good out there but at some point he needs to start producing.
You think?

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.