HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Old
04-30-2014, 10:24 AM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Very valid point.

I still can't figure out why a white racist would buy a NBA team though.
No clue haha probably just a really rich guy who loved basketball and had too much money to spend. I bet a majority of the 80+ year old white owners share similar views (but to varying degrees)

If anyone has 10 minutes and wants to here someone totally kill this issue with Sterling this is a great thing to listen to.

http://deadspin.com/in-10-minutes-es...ium=socialflow

Basically Sterling did not say he hated black people, or did not want black people at his games. He said he didn't want his girlfriend hanging out with black people because his other rich friends would view that in a negative light. So his comments this week weren't the worst thing he has done (ill get to that). And now everyone is getting worked up over this, and jumping on the anti-racism ship while its easy to do so. But the uproar is misguided

But back in 2000's he had multiple allegations against him about being racist, and the allegations were far worse (not providing rooms to minorities, wife would act like a government agent and show up to "inspect" to get an idea of how many minorities were there) And no one got riled up, or called for him to leave. The NBA didn't even look to hard into it.

I do agree that this guy absolutely has to go, but there are further issues in pro sports. Such as the issue with treatment of gays in the NFL, and racism in the NBA/NFL that needs to be looked into further. I don't think its simply enough to ban one guy for his comments because that seems like the popular thing to do. For instance, Rich Devos owns the Magic and funds anti-gay causes. As for as im concerned, that is even worse than saying racist comments in private, because you are actively encouraging it, and enabling it

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
No clue haha probably just a really rich guy who loved basketball and had too much money to spend. I bet a majority of the 80+ year old white owners share similar views (but to varying degrees)

If anyone has 10 minutes and wants to here someone totally kill this issue with Sterling this is a great thing to listen to.

Basically Sterling did not say he hated black people, or did not want black people at his games. He said he didn't want his girlfriend hanging out with black people because his other rich friends would view that in a negative light. So his comments this week weren't the worst thing he has done (ill get to that). And now everyone is getting worked up over this, and jumping on the anti-racism ship while its easy to do so. But the uproar is misguided

But back in 2000's he had multiple allegations against him about being racist, and the allegations were far worse (not providing rooms to minorities, wife would act like a government agent and show up to "inspect" to get an idea of how many minorities were there) And no one got riled up, or called for him to leave. The NBA didn't even look to hard into it.

I do agree that this guy absolutely has to go, but there are further issues in pro sports. Such as the issue with treatment of gays in the NFL, and racism in the NBA/NFL that needs to be looked into further. I don't think its simply enough to ban one guy for his comments because that seems like the popular thing to do. For instance, Rich Devos owns the Magic and funds anti-gay causes. As for as im concerned, that is even worse than saying racist comments in private, because you are actively encouraging it, and enabling it
This whole debacle shows how messed up that upper class old money society really is.

I mean here's a guy, Sterling, who doesn't care that his girlfriend is sleeping around with other men because he knows she's a gold digger and he uses her for that purpose. His wife of 30+ years KNOWS about his mistress and she ALSO doesn't care, because apparently that sort of thing is routine in their society.

What he cares about instead is that he'll look bad because she's bringing minorities to the game with her. Not because he would look bad for having a mistress, or for knowing that his mistress is sleeping around and not caring about it, or that his wife knows that he has a mistress and doesn't care about it.

How messed up is that?

And I'm not even getting into the motivations of the mistress to record that conversation.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
This whole debacle shows how messed up that upper class old money society really is.

I mean here's a guy, Sterling, who doesn't care that his girlfriend is sleeping around with other men because he knows she's a gold digger and he uses her for that purpose. His wife of 30+ years KNOWS about his mistress and she ALSO doesn't care, because apparently that sort of thing is routine in their society.

What he cares about instead is that he'll look bad because she's bringing minorities to the game with her. Not because he would look bad for having a mistress, or for knowing that his mistress is sleeping around and not caring about it, or that his wife knows that he has a mistress and doesn't care about it.

How messed up is that?

And I'm not even getting into the motivations of the mistress to record that conversation.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that the two (Mr and Mrs Sterling) are estranged at this point.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Nice post and citation. It is interesting. I'll add that I find todays mainstream media very culpable in the dumbing down of such complicated issues such as racism. MSM always responds to the safe option, the sanctioned option. Talk about Racism in lieu of a random comment by a senile codger guaranteed to be an easy target to string up the hanging pole? Sure, all day, all week, all month. Bring up real issues about American apartheid, race and class marginalization, ongoing prejudice in the fabric of how and where people decide to live. Nah, that stuff takes guts to tackle. Lets harp this one instead ad nauseum while rarely touching significant racial issues.
I'll go one step further and say this is MSM's present day passive ode to doing something about tragic significant issues. Give it token coverage by featuring the most inane example of it possible. A senile blithering, cheating 81 yr old that is "prejudiced" about blacks who is screwing a black mistress..

Only Rob Ford could be less significant. I'm sure to hear something else about him this week as well.

Its the media comedy circus always distracting us from any news that might be salient.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 04:02 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nice post and citation. It is interesting. I'll add that I find todays mainstream media very culpable in the dumbing down of such complicated issues such as racism. MSM always responds to the safe option, the sanctioned option. Talk about Racism in lieu of a random comment by a senile codger guaranteed to be an easy target to string up the hanging pole? Sure, all day, all week, all month. Bring up real issues about American apartheid, race and class marginalization, ongoing prejudice in the fabric of how and where people decide to live. Nah, that stuff takes guts to tackle. Lets harp this one instead ad nauseum while rarely touching significant racial issues.
I'll go one step further and say this is MSM's present day passive ode to doing something about tragic significant issues. Give it token coverage by featuring the most inane example of it possible. A senile blithering, cheating 81 yr old that is "prejudiced" about blacks who is screwing a black mistress..

Only Rob Ford could be less significant. I'm sure to hear something else about him this week as well.

Its the media comedy circus always distracting us from any news that might be salient.
Exactly, the media is going to jump on this way to hard and show how tough and "anti-racist" they are. But they are picking a very easy target, and will face almost zero backlash from it. Then it the future they will be able to say "well we were tough on Sterling." Meanwhile, like you said, there are far worse racist acts being committed in the States (the audio clip mentions the segregation of neighbourhoods in Chicago which cause turf wars and murder amongst blacks). But no media outlet is going to report this.

In sports, the media isn't reporting on homophobia much at all, and even when they are, its "Player X doesn't thing gays belong in the NFL, back to you Jim." They do not go into the larger implication of this because they probably think their viewership is going to go down

They are only going to pump out more anti Sterling reports for however long this story is hot, then switch to whatever else in the future.

(not to do with racism but with reporting) CNN really ticks me off. They are horrible for pandering to the audience. They go from wild speculation in the missing flight (after it was missing for 3 weeks and there was nothing new), to some reporting on Ukraine, to now jumping on the Sterling bandwagon. And the worst thing is, even tho they have 15 hour/ day coverage of these events, they rarely provide different insights. Is all the same stuff said in different ways.

There is wars and revolutions going on in different countries, but we will have to watch reports of where this missing flight is instead, or how bad Sterling is for having racist views in private.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I find it interesting that Micheal Vick never got banned for life for his involvement in Dog Fighting. None of the players in the NFL get punished severely for their bad behavior outside of the football field. There's a General Arrest thread here on the HF Football board thats 28 pages for crying out loud.

In the NBA, owner makes racists comments while being secretly recorded. Banned for life.

I find that to be an interesting contrast. The biggest reason the players don't get punished as severely is probably due to the unions involvement. However, i think people should be just as upset that an NFL player beat the crap out of his girlfriend/wife than a rich guy making dumb/racists comments.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Eskie Jetski

In today's PC environment, do you think Harold Ballard would have lasted very long as Leafs owner? That guy was an equal opportunity offender!

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I find it interesting that Micheal Vick never got banned for life for his involvement in Dog Fighting. None of the players in the NFL get punished severely for their bad behavior outside of the football field. There's a General Arrest thread here on the HF Football board thats 28 pages for crying out loud.

In the NBA, owner makes racists comments while being secretly recorded. Banned for life.

I find that to be an interesting contrast. The biggest reason the players don't get punished as severely is probably due to the unions involvement. However, i think people should be just as upset that an NFL player beat the crap out of his girlfriend/wife than a rich guy making dumb/racists comments.
Not really, you're right the Union can protect the players to an extent, also the "need" for so many players makes it slightly more difficult.

The reality is the "Ban for Life" isn't actually about the moral high ground, it's about money and costs to the league. When the comments causes sponsors to jump ship, that costs the league money, and they care quite about that. Plus the rumour that they've been wanting to oust him for years.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Slats432

EA NHL 15.

It appears the commentating will be Emrick, Olcyk and Ferraro!!

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
EA NHL 15.

It appears the commentating will be Emrick, Olcyk and Ferraro!!
This is the best upgrade EA has offered in a decade.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 01:19 AM
40oz

Quote:
@NahremanIssa 2h
On my way to St. Paul. RCMP investigating after three police officers were shot. The gunman has been killed. Details to come...
Quote:
1) St. Paul shooting: what we already know... 3 police officers were shot. Two were airlifted to Edm hospital. All three expected to survive
Quote:
@NahremanIssa 39m
2) witnesses say they saw a man in a black dodge ram take police on a police pursuit. They say they heard roughly 9 gunshots
Quote:
3) RCMP are holding a press conference at midnight. Will update afterwards
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...dead-1.2638384

Wow

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Digger12

My son was one of those witnesses, he was literally ducking out of the way of bullets at the intersection when the man in the truck had his last stand with the RCMP. My kid is in shock right now, said there was a lot of blood where the RCMP gunned the guy down while the guy was still in his truck, shooting at the police with a shotgun.

To be honest, I am in a bit of shock myself. My son turned 20 just 2 weeks ago, that could have easily been his last birthday if his luck hadn't held.

Last edited by Digger12: 05-10-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Dave
º

Anyone ever used BMO's coin counting service? I have a bunch of coins I want to get rid of and the only other service I've seen is a coin counting machine that's in safeway grocery stores. But that service charges 11%, I'd rather bring it to a bank that will count it for you than pay an 11% fee. Does anyone know if there's a limit to what BMO will accept? I have like $320 worth of change, roughly estimated the value by weighing them.

I guess I could roll them myself, but I'd rather not roll several hundred dollars worth of low denomination coins myself.

Last edited by Dave: 05-11-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anyone ever used BMO's coin counting service? I have a bunch of coins I want to get rid of and the only other service I've seen is a coin counting machine that's in safeway grocery stores. But that service charges 11%, I'd rather bring it to a bank that will count it for you than pay an 11% fee. Does anyone know if there's a limit to what BMO will accept? I have like $320 worth of change, roughly estimated the value by weighing them.

I guess I could roll them myself, but I'd rather not roll several hundred dollars worth of low denomination coins myself.
BMO will deduct a percentage if it's over $250 bucks I believe. It says it right on the machine. It might be close to 20%.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Dave
º

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
BMO will deduct a percentage if it's over $250 bucks I believe. It says it right on the machine. It might be close to 20%.
Thanks. If you can do $250 free of charge I'll hit two BMO's if they're close together, if not, I'll just do it on separate days.

Old
05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Isn't TD free if you are with them?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Isn't TD free if you are with them?
Yes. If you bank with td the coin machine is free. Which reminds me I have to make a coin run myself soon.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 03:46 PM
MoneyGuy

Why don't you guys just spend your coins as you get them. I never accumulate them, which goes contrary to my screen name.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 04:40 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Why don't you guys just spend your coins as you get them. I never accumulate them, which goes contrary to my screen name.
I don't want to be that guy that spends 4.80 in change only to find out the cashier can't count and takes 5 minutes counting it.

Old
05-13-2014, 06:13 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I don't want to be that guy that spends 4.80 in change only to find out the cashier can't count and takes 5 minutes counting it.
You're doing it wrong. I never have more than about $3 in my pocket, other than the loonies and twonies that I keep for parking meters.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Dave
º

Apparently BMO and TD both offer the coin counting service. If you're a customer it's free for the first $250, after that it's 3% charge. I'm not sure if that charge is applied to the total or just the amount that surpasses the $250 mark. You can just go back the next day and do an other transaction if it's over $250.

For non customers it's a flat 8% charge on whatever you put in the machine. Still kinda sucks, but not as bad as the 12% charge at safeway.

Quote:
I only spend 1 and 2 dollar coins, rarely quarters. Small coins just go in jars, it's easier to throw small change in jars than to sit at a cashier fumbling with small coins trying to match the bill. I find it irritating being stuck in line behind someone counting out their change for their $5.87 bill, so I'd never do it to someone else.

Old
05-13-2014, 10:19 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
I only spend 1 and 2 dollar coins, rarely quarters. Small coins just go in jars, it's easier to throw small change in jars than to sit at a cashier fumbling with small coins trying to match the bill. I find it irritating being stuck in line behind someone counting out their change for their $5.87 bill, so I'd never do it to someone else.
I grew that would be rude. I give a $5 bill and 87 cents in coins. Easy and you have virtually no coins.

Old
05-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Apparently BMO and TD both offer the coin counting service. If you're a customer it's free for the first $250, after that it's 3% charge. I'm not sure if that charge is applied to the total or just the amount that surpasses the $250 mark. You can just go back the next day and do an other transaction if it's over $250.

For non customers it's a flat 8% charge on whatever you put in the machine. Still kinda sucks, but not as bad as the 12% charge at safeway.

Don't have to pay to the nearest coin or penny. Just approximate and every cashier is thankful to get some cash in the till and ANYBODY paying with cash in front of me is doing the line a favor. Fact of the matter is cash transaction is faster than interac every time unless you got some dope digging in the bottom of a purse for a few coins..But that same person takes minutes to find their bloody interac card and complete the transaction.

I got the assortment of change and billfold out already in my hand when the total rings up. Takes about 5 secs to approximate exact change even on an odd number. I got the total down before the cashier is even bagging the last bag. No excuse not to for anybody that can even remotely count.

But even throwing an instant 3 toonies at the above bill is far quicker than interac. Not even close.

If people paid cash like they used to those lines would be moving nonstop. Its because people are too disorganized to even be ready to pay (using whatever means) that create the lineups. yet there you go seeing somebody that's just waited 5mins digging out their interac and club card when their total has already rung. If the cards are not in your hands already wtf?

Last edited by Replacement: 05-14-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 08:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
You're doing it wrong. I never have more than about $3 in my pocket, other than the loonies and twonies that I keep for parking meters.
What the hell does 3 bucks buy nowadays?

The worse is going to a bar where the beer is 5.50, then with tip you end up with 3 bucks in change. Now a smart man would just use that change on beer number 3, but a man trying to impress a girl he has no chance with continues to pull out the $20 bill.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:09 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
What the hell does 3 bucks buy nowadays? .
Nothing. You're missing the point.