HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2014, 11:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
So I get to go to the outdoor movie theater that is starting out in the Warburg area. This should be a blast.
Drive in?

Old
05-24-2014, 11:52 AM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 75
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm curious about this. What outdoor theater? Tried googling it, found nothing.

I miss drive in theaters. Really think its a case where audience really didn't get a choice and that real estate prices killed the venues.

I could even see more top end drive in experience, higher prices, better food, etc. or even taking place in high end campgrounds and such. Nothing better than watching a good movie under the stars.
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/man-hopin...ians-1.1836118

I went to high school with the guy who is running it and they are hosting a a private event tonight to test out system before going public.

05-24-2014, 12:10 PM
joestevens29

Is Warburg really a good place to do it? Then again it probably cost too much to setup one in Edmonton.

Old
05-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:

I went to high school with the guy who is running it and they are hosting a a private event tonight to test out system before going public.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Why so far away though considering its being catered to an Edmonton Audience?

All this needs is a field, a parking lot, to work.

This guy should contact some malls in Edmonton for instance. Millwoods Town Center has always had an active interest in any parking lot promotion and do things like this already. They've even hired the inflatable screen the city uses at Churchill square. They would be interested.

Breton and Warburg are an hours drive out. Also, some of the worst weather in those parts I've ever seen in this region. With late afternoon evening summer storms more regular than Edmonton area (not good news for a portable screen) Plus that it costs more gas to drive to and from Warburg to Edmonton then the drive in will cost. I won't spend 2hrs driving to a 2hr show. But for sure I would go if its anywhere closer.

Old
05-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Always new there was a reason for your trade proposals.
Ha ha. Actually, I don't really make trade proposals. Allot of posters here put in good, well thought out proposals. I'll leave it to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I was more shocked he drinks corona.

one of my beers of last resort.
I like Corona when I make Micheladas (aka: Mexican Calgary red eye......chili powder, tabasco, worcheshire, lime and clamato). I find Corona mixes with the flavours the best.

Last edited by Dorian2: 05-25-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old
05-24-2014, 12:53 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 75
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
He lives out there right now, the thing with his business model (as far as I know) is the emphasis of it being portable until he discovers the viability of the business before he looks at a permanent location which I would figure would be closer to Edmonton. At anytime it could be set up just outside of or even inside edmonton if there is a place large enough to host the screen and the cars. I believe he had considerable local interest in the Drayton Valley/Breton/Warburg to justify setting up those two initial dates. But there could be ones closer to Edmonton soon I would believe. Tonight private event is the first test with a lot of people to try out the system. I can post pics tonight and ask Fred some questions about closer to Edmonton events.

Old
05-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post

I like Corona when I make Micheladas (aka: Mexican Calgary red eye......chili pepper, tabasco, worcheshire, lime and clamato). I find Corona mixes with the flavours the best.
yikes

your stomach is going to hate you by the time you're my age.

Old
05-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
He lives out there right now, the thing with his business model (as far as I know) is the emphasis of it being portable until he discovers the viability of the business before he looks at a permanent location which I would figure would be closer to Edmonton. At anytime it could be set up just outside of or even inside edmonton if there is a place large enough to host the screen and the cars. I believe he had considerable local interest in the Drayton Valley/Breton/Warburg to justify setting up those two initial dates. But there could be ones closer to Edmonton soon I would believe. Tonight private event is the first test with a lot of people to try out the system. I can post pics tonight and ask Fred some questions about closer to Edmonton events.
Yep, thanks, by no means am I trying to question his model, just to offer the suggestion. Hope it goes well and hope it comes to a place closer by.

fwiw I think the model will do fine.

Drive ins died only on the basis of real estate land potential. Not that people weren't going. Millwoods drive in was still packing them in throughout the 90's. Wherever they still exist the concept is popular. The portable pop up drive in is a killer idea that will work out well. It has as well where its been introduced. Makes me wonder why no local business student didn't try this out before.

ps the travelling drive in concept is better. Not permanent location as such. All you need is locations, and food trucks. Remember the food trucks. Its win win for both operators. This idea married with food trucks works.

Old
05-24-2014, 01:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Interesting idea. Be nice to see some of those empty lots/parks in Edmonton use this idea.

Old
05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Can I PLEASE ask for people to look at this picture and UNDERSTAND how this intersection works so we all can drive safely?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/M09YGrc.jpg[IMG]

This is 43 Ave and 34 street. I have CLEARLY marked on there how that corner should be done. However, people seem to think the Left Turning lane is also the straight lane. NOT IT IS NOT! I had an argument with a dumb chick who thinks that is a straight lane. I told her NO it is not! And I can PROVE it. So here is a picture. PLEASE share with others who use this corner. THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE!

/End Rant
You say you've pointed out how it should be done, that doesn't mean anything. What do the signs on the road say? Every single intersection I've seen where it goes 2 lanes into 1 is set up like this:

L-lane is for left turns + straight through intersection
R-lane is for right turns only

If you're on the other side of the intersection turning left yourself, it can be dangerous to make the turn if people are going straight through on the opposing right lane as they can be obscured by cars turning left. If the right lane is for right turns only, you can look at the cars in the left lane to see if they're turning or going straight.

Old
05-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Paralyzer
The Beatdown Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You say you've pointed out how it should be done, that doesn't mean anything. What do the signs on the road say? Every single intersection I've seen where it goes 2 lanes into 1 is set up like this:

L-lane is for left turns + straight through intersection
R-lane is for right turns only

If you're on the other side of the intersection turning left yourself, it can be dangerous to make the turn if people are going straight through on the opposing right lane as they can be obscured by cars turning left. If the right lane is for right turns only, you can look at the cars in the left lane to see if they're turning or going straight.
If you look at how the intersection is made, the Left lane going straight would lead you to the boulevard dead on. It's not hard to understand, yet, people think it's too complicated. Add in the fact, the opposite side of the intersection does the exact same thing: Left Lane is Left Turn Only and Right lane is Straight and Right turn only. There is a possible chance that some other intersections might be doing what you are describing, but there is no signs there saying left turn or right turn or straight, but just the fact where the boulevard is place should give people enough understanding how the road should be.

Old
05-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Jack Butler

Quote:

Interesting idea, but wouldn't insurance costs make it unprofitable?

Old
05-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
yikes

your stomach is going to hate you by the time you're my age.
I didn't mention that I use the Habenero tabasco...did I?

Old
05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Weird how every time I watch the news I feel the urge to read more Hitchens.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Weird how every time I watch the news I feel the urge to read more Hitchens.
I can't watch the news anymore. Our world is too ****ing depressing.

Old
05-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 304
Quote:
I like Corona when I make Micheladas (aka: Mexican Calgary red eye......chili powder, tabasco, worcheshire, lime and clamato). I find Corona mixes with the flavours the best.
wow!

Old
05-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
wow!
You should try one. Real tasty.

Old
05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
You should try one. Real tasty.
not when I'm sober. maybe after I've had a couple beers to settle my stomach.

unrelated, I notice it's a heck of a lot easier to make vcash, when I don't have Oiler games to lose it all on.
during the season, I seldom have more than 100.

Old
05-31-2014, 07:16 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Does it seem like there are more wasps than usual this year or do I just have them setting up shop around here somewhere?

Old
05-31-2014, 08:20 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

I've noticed more giant bumble bees personally

Old
05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I've noticed more giant bumble bees personally
Ditto. No wasps here, but quite a few bumblebee's. Saw one fly under my steps so I think they set up shop.

They are humungous this year.

Old
06-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Does it seem like there are more wasps than usual this year or do I just have them setting up shop around here somewhere?
I don't think I've seen a single one this year.

Then again I don't think I've seen all that many bees either.

Maybe it's a sign I spend too much time indoors lmao.

Old
06-01-2014, 03:55 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

In related news my dog got dive bombed by like three wasps earlier tonight. They must be set up under my deck.

Wondering if I should be getting her to a vet tonight, she doesn't seem very pleased at all right now.

Old
06-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Gord
Tesla

I haven't seen any wasps this year, but the bees are huge!

Old
06-02-2014, 10:39 AM
joestevens29

I have seen one bee and no wasps. Two weeks ago there were a ton of mosquitoes and they seemed to have left.

Closed Thread