HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Annnnnnnnnd......THAT'S why you don't live in the Northside

Don't get me wrong, I have driven to the Northside by Bannerman, Kildare, Londonderry and M.E. Lazerte areas and it isn't really that bad. THe worst I say is Central-North of Downtown. Past Yellowhead, it's not terrible. Looks like Millwoods IMO but better.
oooops.

Yeah. Every area has it's seedy area's...I'm sure even South West has it's share.

I'm not sure why the Northside gets a bad rap to be honest.

Maybe because I grew up and live here currently as well. (the not sure part, not the bad rap part )

Old
06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
alphahelix

vCash: 500
I'm trying to find a half-decent used car that isn't going to require like 5 grand in work to pass inspection and keep on the road. Not looking to spend a lot of cash just want something to run around while I'm in town (which isn't that often).

I'm only in town for a few days and not sure if trying to run around on Kijiji to find something is going to work for me. Anyone have good experience buying used car in town for cheap?

Old
06-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I'm trying to find a half-decent used car that isn't going to require like 5 grand in work to pass inspection and keep on the road. Not looking to spend a lot of cash just want something to run around while I'm in town (which isn't that often).

I'm only in town for a few days and not sure if trying to run around on Kijiji to find something is going to work for me. Anyone have good experience buying used car in town for cheap?
Buy from a dealership, honestly. I bought one like that a few years back privately, it was money pit. Go Auto has a lot of options and really good website.

Old
06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Avoid: northside, most of the south east (some of millwoods is okay, very specific pockets though)
Depends (on work, lifestyle, interests etc): Whyte ave and downtown
If you have nice budget: Saskatchewan drive, river valley locales, around the U of A, Rio Terrace, just west of 124 st. (downtown) on Jasper Ave
Good: pretty much anywhere in the southwest
Neutral/you got a family and want a quiet area: Sherwood Park, St. Albert, Spruce Grove, Fort Sask... all the suburbs, also, south central bridging on south east, although much newer - Summerside and stuff off of Ellerslie.... zzzzzzz
Underrated, quality community in the city: Malmo
hate the way you trash the whole northside, which is a huge area.
It's like any other area of town. some very nice areas and some undesirable areas.

I've lived on the north side for about 12 years now, and rarely had problems.
let's not paint an area with the same ghetto brush.

just like I could use the same brush on Sherwood park. There are some very ill bred and horrible people in areas of the park, too.

Old
06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
One that I enjoyed quite a bit when starting (besides Victoria...Liquor is right, good place to start), is one out near Sherwood Park called Fox's Run. It can be challenging at times, but for the most part is a good beginner course.

For a really good starter course or 2, go up to Radium for a weekend and hit the Windermere Golf course (similar to Golden West when it was around), and there is a wicked par 3 course up highway 95 (I think) which is where my wife played her first game. Got her to like golf with that course.

Edit: The name of the Radium one is Edgewater Hilltop. http://www.edgewaterhilltopgolf.com/
I agree. Golfed there many times, always laid back, whether it be the owners or the members. Never had anyone harass about the pace of play if we were playing slow. I think people of a similar mindset (laid back) choose it for this reason. IIRC, about 45 bucks to do 18 with half cart.

Old
06-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post

My sister is selling hers. PM if interested and I'll send you the details.

Old
06-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I agree. Golfed there many times, always laid back, whether it be the owners or the members. Never had anyone harass about the pace of play if we were playing slow. I think people of a similar mindset (laid back) choose it for this reason. IIRC, about 45 bucks to do 18 with half cart.
Good post Roofy!

That's pretty much the feel I get for it.

Very well put.

Old
06-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:
Annnnnnnnnd......THAT'S why you don't live in the Northside

Don't get me wrong, I have driven to the Northside by Bannerman, Kildare, Londonderry and M.E. Lazerte areas and it isn't really that bad. THe worst I say is Central-North of Downtown. Past Yellowhead, it's not terrible. Looks like Millwoods IMO but better.
Annnnnnnd.... THAT'S why you're wrong.

I used to have the same idea of the North side when I lived in Oliver for almost a decade. The Northside on the LRT route is absolutely shady. But so is every area along the LRT route from Claireview to South Common. (Maybe not as bad south as it's new).

But an area north like Lago Lindo or Castle Downs is beautiful and quiet. Same thing the whole way west towards St. Albert which is what they were looking for.

Old
06-12-2014, 07:50 AM
McGhostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

West of 97th and north of 137th is pretty decent for the Northside.

East of 97th though...

Old
06-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

East of 97th though...
I have lived on the northside, east of 97th for over 10 years now.

you guys have to get your preconceived prejudices taken care of.

there are many great neighbourhoods in the northeast.
there are a lot of other areas of the Edmonton region I would avoid before the northeast. great value for your money.

every part of town has trouble spots, and the north does have some of their own. no worse than any other area of town.

walk every night in my part of town after midnight for an entire summer, and I bet you see less trouble than one weekend on Whyte Ave, with greater personal safety, too.

Old
06-12-2014, 08:56 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Whyte ave is exciting, vibrant, entertaining, fun.

All things the NE is not.

Old
06-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Whyte ave is exciting, vibrant, entertaining, fun.

All things the NE is not.
and it can also be a dirty, violent place in the evenings.

I have more fear of getting attacked for no reason by someone drunk or on drugs on Whyte ave than I do in the NE.

but the discussion wasn't about the more exciting, vibrant and fun place to live.

I am just trying to say I get sick of people painting the NE with the same brush when there are many good places to live in the area. the whole NE is not an evil, dirty slum filled with undesirables.

so when someone says avoid living in the north end or in the NE, I do take some offense to that and try and defend the area.

Old
06-12-2014, 12:21 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

East of 97th though...
You realize that quite a few new housing developments have been completed east of 97th street and north of 153rd avenue. All of them are very nice areas to live in, decent people and mostly quiet.

The bad places are around Belvedere station, a few around the Clareview station, area between 111th-Yellowhead east of 97th street to 50th street.

Old
06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Annnnnnnd.... THAT'S why you're wrong.

I used to have the same idea of the North side when I lived in Oliver for almost a decade. The Northside on the LRT route is absolutely shady. But so is every area along the LRT route from Claireview to South Common. (Maybe not as bad south as it's new).

But an area north like Lago Lindo or Castle Downs is beautiful and quiet. Same thing the whole way west towards St. Albert which is what they were looking for.
Ummm obviously you didnt read the quote I replied to. He was saying nice but it came out mice. I was joking buddy. And I didnt say its bad. If you read it carefully I said it looks just like Millwoods which I am very used to since Ive lived there all my life. Nothing wrong with Millwoods, just like theres nothing wrong north , except, for the north part of downtown to yellowhead. That is a shady area IMO.

Old
06-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The Edmonton Springs that I took a guy that was shooting high 60's at Mill Woods, but shot a 85 at Edmonton Springs?

That course wrecks people. A lot of target golf there that isn't forgiving and if there is any sort of wind you might as well just fill the bag full of booze because it's damn near impossible to play.

The nice thing is the course is usally quite quiet(probably because people are scared), it's a beautiful course that was in great shape everytime I was there and the cost was pretty cheap. We even received free power carts because we went so many times late in the year.
Now that you mention it, it does have some ridiculously protected greens. I only suggested it because it's usually fairly quiet and it is pretty cheap. I think you can play there for under $50 on weekdays.

Old
06-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

First tstorm of the season passing over my house. My dog is freaking out.

Old
06-13-2014, 08:58 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Now that you mention it, it does have some ridiculously protected greens. I only suggested it because it's usually fairly quiet and it is pretty cheap. I think you can play there for under $50 on weekdays.
Oh ya it is quiet, but that's probably because grown men have went how crying

The good part though is if you want to practice you could probably sit there and take 10 shots and try make that shot that cost you 9 balls already.

Old
06-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Ummm obviously you didnt read the quote I replied to. He was saying nice but it came out mice. I was joking buddy. And I didnt say its bad. If you read it carefully I said it looks just like Millwoods which I am very used to since Ive lived there all my life. Nothing wrong with Millwoods, just like theres nothing wrong north , except, for the north part of downtown to yellowhead. That is a shady area IMO.
It's even funnier than you think. I've had a few issues with mice here. Killed one in my garbage (it was rummaging for some treats and I closed the lid on it and it suffocated), but low and behold, my wife saw another one in the garage and he's set up in the same hole that every other mouse I've had over the last 10 years. Took him about a week after the other one died to move in. I didn't see a moving truck though.

Apparently they're drawn to where they were born, cause this new one is as fluffy as the last one.

Old
06-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Happy Fathers day to all the Dads out there.

Old
06-18-2014, 05:46 PM
awesomo
HARD!

People who park and ride at Century Park. How early does that fill up?

Old
06-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Hugo McStiglitz
5-14-6-1

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Quite early. On most days you'll be hard pressed to find a spot after 9 AM for sure.

Old
06-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Arrive yesterday if you want to park there today..

Old
06-19-2014, 10:33 AM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
As a long time HF Board supporter I figured I would let everyone know that I have changed jobs recently and now working for an Insurance broker. If anyone is interested in getting some quotes on their current Insurance situation, please let me know and hopefully I can help out some fellow hockey fans. Send me a private message and I can get you my contact info.

Old
06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
As a long time HF Board supporter I figured I would let everyone know that I have changed jobs recently and now working for an Insurance broker. If anyone is interested in getting some quotes on their current Insurance situation, please let me know and hopefully I can help out some fellow hockey fans. Send me a private message and I can get you my contact info.
what company?

you're soliciting on here, I think you could at least tell us who you work for.

Old
06-19-2014, 09:39 PM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
what company?

you're soliciting on here, I think you could at least tell us who you work for.
A local Edmonton brokerage called CJ Campbell. Not sure I would call it soliciting as I've been on this board for years. But doesn't hurt to drop a line!

Closed Thread