HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Old
07-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I've been renovating my garage for the last year or so, takes a while when you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Now for my rant:

The city is renovating all the roads in our neighborhood, from 97 st - 82 st and 153 ave to 144th ave.

They started on our cul de sac yesterday, spanning from about 90 st to 82 st and 153 ave to 149 ave......and they are pretty much done the entire thing already. 2 days to repave all these roads and it takes me over a year to reno my garage (by myself I might add).

What the hell. Now the wife has big ammo for her "procrastination rants" that she lays on me every once in a while.

I otta sue the city for doing such a good job!

Good job city of Edmonton for getting this done in such a quick manner. Very impressive to me, anyways.
Honestly, damned rights. The City doesn't get enough credit for this. I get the construction is frustrating, but they do a great job and very quickly, it's why our roads aren't constantly garbage.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I've been renovating my garage for the last year or so, takes a while when you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Now for my rant:

The city is renovating all the roads in our neighborhood, from 97 st - 82 st and 153 ave to 144th ave.

They started on our cul de sac yesterday, spanning from about 90 st to 82 st and 153 ave to 149 ave......and they are pretty much done the entire thing already. 2 days to repave all these roads and it takes me over a year to reno my garage (by myself I might add).

What the hell. Now the wife has big ammo for her "procrastination rants" that she lays on me every once in a while.

Good job city of Edmonton for getting this done in such a quick manner. Very impressive to me, anyways.
In two years time, the city will once again have to re-pave the roads because of the high quality of work they do. You won't have to renovate your garage in two years, most likely.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
In two years time, the city will once again have to re-pave the roads because of the high quality of work they do. You won't have to renovate your garage in two years, most likely.
Well, this is the first time they've done it in 30 years, so I may suggest that the initial quality was pretty damned good. I know they have to do patching every year because of the winters we get, but I think the roads in Edmonton are pretty good. My road in front of my house is now amazing. We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited by Dorian2: 07-15-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Probably, because the climate here as little affect on the road and it's condition.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 213
Quote:

Now for my rant:

They butchered my area. Didn't take them long to pave, but it took forever for them to come in and pave after the milling machines. Left manholes and water valves exposed, but don't worry that pink spray paint they put on 4 days later sure helped.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 06:09 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well, this is the first time they've done it in 30 years, so I may suggest that the initial quality was pretty damned good. I know they have to do patching every year because of the winters we get, but I think the roads in Edmonton are pretty good. My road in front of my house is now amazing. We'll see how long it lasts.
Depends what they do too. The city is big on these quick mills to take off some of the asphalt and then place a new lift. It isn't expected to last as long, but it's a way for the city to get back on track for all those years where the roads were neglected.

Old
07-15-2014, 09:56 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/...776640/photo/1

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:17 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Initially, yes. Lately though, their work has been questionable at best. My old neighborhood, and my current one are a testament to that. Parts of Henday are already in need of repair, and we can't blame the winters alone for that. Edmonton has had rather cold winters since it was founded.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Initially, yes. Lately though, their work has been questionable at best. My old neighborhood, and my current one are a testament to that. Parts of Henday are already in need of repair, and we can't blame the winters alone for that. Edmonton has had rather cold winters since it was founded.
Depending what part of the Henday you are talking about there is a legit issue that has nothing to do with the weather. Southside was a swamp, no matter how much stabilizing was done there is always going to be issues. Mill Woods roads are the very same because of this.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Beerfish

Dorian....dude....never, ever, ever, ever complain about the city making improvements to your roads or sidewalks. The roads and sidewalks and alleys in the neighborhood I live in are a sheer and utter disgrace (and have been for years and years) and I don't use that term lightly.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Dorian....dude....never, ever, ever, ever complain about the city making improvements to your roads or sidewalks. The roads and sidewalks and alleys in the neighborhood I live in are a sheer and utter disgrace (and have been for years and years) and I don't use that term lightly.
...except when it has to do with the Oilers right?

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Beerfish.......dudette ...actually, my original post was a rant about how fast they did the roads here in comparison to me and my ongoing garage renovations.....and the fact that since the entire neighborhood was repaved in 2 days compared to my upcoming 2 years of garage reno's.....not to mention that my wife has good ammo against me now because of the differential in time it took for the city to do our neighborhood and the time it is taking me to "piddle around the garage".

I actually congratulated the city for doing the roads in such a quick fashion.

So there.

Old
07-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Quote:
Some roads here in the south that they did 2 or 3 years back are still perfectly smooth (and great for bike rides)...

Happy that they are doing this where it's needed. Too many older residential streets are worse than freaking gravel roads in condition...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

We get our roads paved like crazy here in the burbs.

Two years ago fresh pavement on several mainish streets just so they can paint nice new bikelane markings on a whole lot of roads so people can't park there. Sufice to say theres complaints and a year later the city repaving all these poorly thought out "bikelanes" and giving people back the roadside parking.

Gotta say I'm enjoying the latest of the several retrofits of 34st in Millwoods here done in the last dozen years..

With each change being the most modest road revamping possible so they can break out the budget and do it all over again in an area with exploding population.

34st over the last 12 year in order of renovations;

-lets see, change two lane road into two lane road with some turnouts.. Spend all summer doing a tiny revision and spend weeks tearing down and building new curbs.

-discover that some more turnouts are needed and spend another summer screwing up the street, closing it down and doing all the same over again. Difference barely noticed.

-next, beautify, make nicer mid street boulevards so the curb paving machine has something to do. build all new curbs that deviate mere feet or inches from what were there before. Build nice bike/multiuse asphalt trails along west side of 34st. (the only improvement that added to quality of life) Spend all summer planting, seeding, feeding an area that's now overgrown with weeds with the plants hardly visible. Tear out trees that are of course dying for lack of water, apparently unsuitable for this climate, and represent a hazard for trail users. Oh, and make sure you plant huge bushes right adjacent to trail that will overgrow and branches hanging into trail within a year..

-tear up multiuse trails because new sewer lines, etc need to go in there.

-repave multiuse trails.

This year add longer turnouts for 34 st at particular locations because traffic is much higher than planned for. Keeping in mind this is still only a two lane road south of 34 ave..multiuse lanes being torn up again.

Should I mention the city built ETs platforms 3 times in specific locations never used and are refitting this once again. (One of them was at intersection of 34st 23 ave with the sloped foreheads not figuring out that a bustop there on a two lane road just next to a busy intersection would be a blood boiling hazard to any vehicle trying to get through there..

To say that 34st has been a planning road construction gong show in the last dozen years is understatement.

But hey, lets build another 500 houses a year and slap em in there with noway to get out.

Oh and 34st doesn't connect with Henday..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
ejams

The residential roads north of Whyte are truly messed up. It's like off-roading..

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
The residential roads north of Whyte are truly messed up. It's like off-roading..
the residential streets between the university area from 112st to 109st are the worst I've ever driven on in this city.

In the area I live, I think the city does a good job in road maintenance. can't complain.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Sheesh...I make a post giving the City kudo's for doing something that needed doing here in the Evansdale area, and a bunch of posters decide to pile on the city for doing a crappy job in their area's.

I happen to appreciate that this was done in our neighborhood, and appreciate this kind of stuff done in all the neighborhoods that I do not even visit.

I'm not so naive not to realize that the city has made it's fair share of screw ups on the roads (a couple of years ago they redid 153 Ave and the next year they tore it up and had to redo it), but I don't think this kind of thing ever goes without it's problems.

Quit complaining guys, at least the city is doing something for it's citizens....if I can call you that.

Old
07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Sheesh...I make a post giving the City kudo's for doing something that needed doing here in the Evansdale area, and a bunch of posters decide to pile on the city for doing a crappy job in their area's.

I happen to appreciate that this was done in our neighborhood, and appreciate this kind of stuff done in all the neighborhoods that I do not even visit.

I'm not so naive not to realize that the city has made it's fair share of screw ups on the roads (a couple of years ago they redid 153 Ave and the next year they tore it up and had to redo it), but I don't think this kind of thing ever goes without it's problems.

Quit complaining guys, at least the city is doing something for it's citizens....if I can call you that.
Except their not, I have no idea what the cities revitalization plans look like, all I know is that I've been in my house for 17 years and not one thing other than laughable toss some asphalt in the hole patch jobs are done. The sidewalks are laughable and down right dangerous for older people. The sidestreets are a joke. You can't even ride a bike around the neighbourhood unless you stick to the main road even then there are creases in it. The city does lover to repave some of the more traffic'd roads that don't need it however.

(Good that you have gotten nice nice improvements though Dorian and glad they were efficient about it.)

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Except their not, I have no idea what the cities revitalization plans look like, all I know is that I've been in my house for 17 years and not one thing other than laughable toss some asphalt in the hole patch jobs are done. The sidewalks are laughable and down right dangerous for older people. The sidestreets are a joke. You can't even ride a bike around the neighbourhood unless you stick to the main road even then there are creases in it. The city does lover to repave some of the more traffic'd roads that don't need it however.

(Good that you have gotten nice nice improvements though Dorian and glad they were efficient about it.)
I'm not sure where I heard it, but apparently the city revamps entire neighborhoods every 25 or 30 years. Apparently it's in their schedule. If someone could confirm, that would be appreciated.

Oh, and Beerfish. I don't know how heavy the traffic is in yours and other peoples areas. 30 years seemed OK to me because I live in a cul de sac just south of 153 Ave and just west of 82 St.. There is absolutely no access to and from 153 Ave or 82 St. from the neighborhood. Only 1 way in and out. That's why our roads here aren't as "roughed up" as other neighborhoods. Not allot of traffic...great for the kids.

Last edited by Dorian2: 07-17-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old
07-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
the residential streets between the university area from 112st to 109st are the worst I've ever driven on in this city.

In the area I live, I think the city does a good job in road maintenance. can't complain.
Yep, same. Ones east of 104st near Mt. Pleasant Cemetery/Allandale are also brutal.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Dave
º

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

This was the first area that came to mind when people started talking about bad roads. Worst I've come across is the area north of whyte between 104th and 109th, it's a joke how bad they are considering how much traffic they get.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This was the first area that came to mind when people started talking about bad roads. Worst I've come across is the area north of whyte between 104th and 109th, it's a joke how bad they are considering how much traffic they get.
Damned...I'm starting to feel guilty now...as I gaze, bright eyed, out the chilly window at my splendid, awe inspiring, brand spanking new asphalt passage that is black as a moonless night outside my abode.

Naaaaah..I don't feel that guilty.

Old
07-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Is anyone going to fly Malaysian Airlines ever again?

Also I'd be really wary of flying anywhere over the Middle East and Eastern Europe/Western Asia right now.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 12:45 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
"108 of the passengers were also top AIDS researchers on their way to the large International AIDS Conference hosted in Australia. That includes Joep Lange, one of the prominent leaders of global HIV/AIDS research and former president of the International AIDS Society."

One of my old profs just left for Kuala Lumpur recently as well... I'll have to try and get in touch with him.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
"108 of the passengers were also top AIDS researchers on their way to the large International AIDS Conference hosted in Australia. That includes Joep Lange, one of the prominent leaders of global HIV/AIDS research and former president of the International AIDS Society."

One of my old profs just left for Kuala Lumpur recently as well... I'll have to try and get in touch with him.
That... really sucks... a lot.

I ****ing hate this loss of human potential over some extremely inane political games.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote