HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Old
07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Is anyone going to fly Malaysian Airlines ever again?

Also I'd be really wary of flying anywhere over the Middle East and Eastern Europe/Western Asia right now.
Is it Malaysian Airlines or flying by the Ukraine?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is it Malaysian Airlines or flying by the Ukraine?
Bit of both.

Airliner neglected threats from rebels.

Rebels took out plane.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 08:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Bit of both.

Airliner neglected threats from rebels.

Rebels took out plane.
Thanks. Didn't really know what happened. I tend to wait a week or two before reading the details of these stories. Simply because there is a lot of bullcrap out there when something like this happens.

Old
07-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Excellent discussion going on about this on C2E. With much more information.

For instance that the decision to continue to use the flight path was likely made due to feelings that a high altitude jet wasn't at risk to be shot down by the surface to air system the rebels were reported to have. The feeling was apparently that 30K feet was going to preclude this type of thing. I'm not positive about precedents but that's what the poster was suggesting is they likely didn't think this could occur.

This is not to say I'm in favor of flying over a no fly zone that has been announced and including warnings.

Thing that gets me is 300 people didn't have a vote in this. I imagine 90% of them would have chose to have an alternate fly zone and not fly anywhere over a politically unstable area like this.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 09:00 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

For instance that the decision to continue to use the flight path was likely made due to feelings that a high altitude jet wasn't likely to be shot down by a Sam like missile. The feeling was apparently that 30K feet was going to preclude this type of thing. I'm not positive about precedents but that's what the poster was suggesting is they likely didn't think this could occur.

This is not to say I'm in favor of flying over a no fly zone that has been announced and including warnings.

Thing that gets me is 300 people didn't have a vote in this. I imagine 90% of them would have chose to have an alternate fly zone and not fly anywhere over a politically unstable area like this.
Excuse my ignorance on this, but didn't they know they were going to be flying over this area when they bought their tickets?

Or did the flight plan just change in the air?

Old
07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:

For instance that the decision to continue to use the flight path was likely made due to feelings that a high altitude jet wasn't likely to be shot down by a Sam like missile. The feeling was apparently that 30K feet was going to preclude this type of thing. I'm not positive about precedents but that's what the poster was suggesting is they likely didn't think this could occur.

They could have flown a couple of hundred km's east over Russia and this tragedy would have been avoided.

However, unless its a terrorist attack, passenger planes do not get shot down by any military groups. Apparently, Russian presidential plane was scheduled to fly over that area roughly around the same time, and the colors are similar. makes you wonder if its a case of mistaken identity, and if it really was the rebels who shot it down.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
They could have flown a couple of hundred km's east over Russia and this tragedy would have been avoided.

However, unless its a terrorist attack, passenger planes do not get shot down by any military groups. Apparently, Russian presidential plane was scheduled to fly over that area roughly around the same time, and the colors are similar. makes you wonder if its a case of mistaken identity, and if it really was the rebels who shot it down.
Oh I entirely agree. Just for clarity I want to amend that there have been multiple precedents for a commercial airliner being shot down by missiles.

I wonder if we ever find out what really happened here and who was responsible.

Old
07-18-2014, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

They ever find that last plane that went missing a few months ago?

Old
07-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance on this, but didn't they know they were going to be flying over this area when they bought their tickets?

I haven't seen anything that the flight path was altered. Just that the flight path could have some deviation due to air traffic control that the passengers may or may not know about. Also that how many passengers know the exact flight path that will occur. One can assume such a thing or estimate but such information afairc is not made readily available to the public.

It would've been prudent of course to deviate from that area.

Old
07-18-2014, 09:13 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Oh I entirely agree. Just for clarity I want to amend that there have been multiple precedents for a commercial airliner being shot down by missiles.

I wonder if we ever find out what really happened here and who was responsible.
No chance, it'll be a case of finger pointing back and forth. Russia and its allies will blame the Ukrainians while the US and its allies will blame the Russian rebels.

I wonder why the airline industry always, always waits for something tragic to happen to institute changes. You just know that from now on, every hot zone will be avoided and planes will circle in a very wide circle around it.

Airport security was almost non-existent pre 9/11. It took 3 planes and a few thousand dead for them to upgrade security to acceptable levels. Now this...

Seriously, makes me wanna not fly, and I actually enjoy flying.

Old
07-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

It's starting to piss me off that the authorities are more concerned with pointing fingers of blame at each other and playing their political games than properly acknowledging and respecting the tremendous loss of human life here.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:

Quote:
I haven't seen anything that the flight path was altered. Just that the flight path could have some deviation due to air traffic control that the passengers may or may not know about. Also that how many passengers know the exact flight path that will occur. One can assume such a thing or estimate but such information afairc is not made readily available to the public.

It would've been prudent of course to deviate from that area.
I was watching CNN with that girl and she had a guest on that was saying that the flight path was actually changed a couple of times due to some very heavy storm systems in the regular flight paths. That's what I got out of it anyways.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Any Oil fans/E Towners in Pemberton for the festival? Just getting warmed up, unreal setting. Been to Bonnaroo, Coachella and Roskilde but this still takes the cake for me. Anyways, Sask Ave is a gongshow. Cheers to everyone.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 09:59 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Any Oil fans/E Towners in Pemberton for the festival? Just getting warmed up, unreal setting. Been to Bonnaroo, Coachella and Roskilde but this still takes the cake for me. Anyways, Sask Ave is a gongshow. Cheers to everyone.
Wasn't there a death there already?

Old
07-19-2014, 10:28 AM
joestevens29

Maybe it's just me, but now that the whole Lebron back to Cleveland is official and the details are out there I don't know that Lebron is really doing anything special here.

He has an out after year 1, which is really no big deal because it cost nothing to get Lebron.

The kicker is if they go after Love who Lebron wants. The cost is apparently Bennett(2013 1st overall), Wiggins (2014 1st overall) and the 2015 1st. Now I'm not going to pretend that I know if that's a fair value trade, afterall Love is top 5 in some key categories in the league while Cleveland is really just giving up unproven assets at this point.

The issue would become that Love has an out after this year as well.

So really if I'm a Cleveland fan am I exactly thrilled about this situation? Sure there are some that will say Lebron will convince Love to stay, but at the same time he sure as hell never lured Bosh or Wade with him this year.

This could end up worse then Lebron leaving the 1st time.

Old
07-19-2014, 11:51 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but now that the whole Lebron back to Cleveland is official and the details are out there I don't know that Lebron is really doing anything special here.

He has an out after year 1, which is really no big deal because it cost nothing to get Lebron.

The kicker is if they go after Love who Lebron wants. The cost is apparently Bennett(2013 1st overall), Wiggins (2014 1st overall) and the 2015 1st. Now I'm not going to pretend that I know if that's a fair value trade, afterall Love is top 5 in some key categories in the league while Cleveland is really just giving up unproven assets at this point.

The issue would become that Love has an out after this year as well.

So really if I'm a Cleveland fan am I exactly thrilled about this situation? Sure there are some that will say Lebron will convince Love to stay, but at the same time he sure as hell never lured Bosh or Wade with him this year.

This could end up worse then Lebron leaving the 1st time.
I don't think Lebron has any plans on leaving. NBA CBA is up in two years time and its expected that its gonna be a bit more favourable to the players so they expect the max salary to go up. They are basically ensuring that Lebron will be paid the max when that happens. As for year 1 out, I think its to have a "just in case" if the fans don't welcome him back, which as we've already seen is not a valid concern.

Lebron, while demanding, strikes me as different than most NBA stars and seems genuine. I think Dwyane Wade joins him in Cleveland next offseason as he signed the same type a deal in Miami.

I can't say that I am a fan of any one team in the NBA, but if I was a Cleveland fan, I wouldn't be worried. No reason to IMO.

Old
07-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Initially, yes. Lately though, their work has been questionable at best. My old neighborhood, and my current one are a testament to that. Parts of Henday are already in need of repair, and we can't blame the winters alone for that. Edmonton has had rather cold winters since it was founded.
Has more to do with drainage than with temperature. Anywhere the temperature becomes subzero you have potential for frost heaving once a crack or fissure appears. It's inevitable. A while back I believe many places in AB decided to go with the recycled tire asphalt to be green and more cost effective, it's not as durable as crude derived asphalt.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Neatman

Quote:

What you're suggesting is crazy. You're the only person in the world wondering if the wrong plane was shot down in a case of mistaken identity.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
OilerPensfan94
You gonna get a hurt

vCash: 550
Added 94 in my username in honour of Ryan Smyth!

OilerPensfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 356
Quote:

your theory sounds more like Russian stories to obscure the truth that anything that approaches fact. but we'll see how it plays out.

I'm more disgusted with what disrespect the Russian rebels treated the crash site, the bodies and their looting of the dead.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
your theory sounds more like Russian stories to obscure the truth that anything that approaches fact. but we'll see how it plays out.

I'm more disgusted with what disrespect the Russian rebels treated the crash site, the bodies and their looting of the dead.
They're rebels, seems to be status quo no?

Old
07-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
It's starting to piss me off that the authorities are more concerned with pointing fingers of blame at each other and playing their political games than properly acknowledging and respecting the tremendous loss of human life here.
Unfortunately it's not entirely surprising.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Spawn

So, long story short: I now have access to a small south facing front garden with just a few herbs in it and nothing else but soil.

Any experienced Edmonton gardeners think it's possible for me to plant anything (vegetables/greens) and have it ready to eat before things get too cold? If so, any advice?

I'm very new to the whole gardening business, but I'd like to utilize this beautiful sunny patch of garden before the summer runs its course. Right now I've got sage, thyme, chives, rosemary and oregano all transplanted from my parents vast garden.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:00 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So, long story short: I now have access to a small south facing front garden with just a few herbs in it and nothing else but soil.

Any experienced Edmonton gardeners think it's possible for me to plant anything (vegetables/greens) and have it ready to eat before things get too cold? If so, any advice?

I'm very new to the whole gardening business, but I'd like to utilize this beautiful sunny patch of garden before the summer runs its course. Right now I've got sage, thyme, chives, rosemary and oregano all transplanted from my parents vast garden.
It is too late in the season to plant veggie, unless they were transplanted. Normally you want to plant your garden in the spring. The common story I was told was when you saw the flying ants it was time to plant the garden.

07-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 356
I am usually unable to go to sonic boom.
Just saw the lineup yesterday, and it looks amazing.
if any of you are going, I'm jealous.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote