HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So, long story short: I now have access to a small south facing front garden with just a few herbs in it and nothing else but soil.

Any experienced Edmonton gardeners think it's possible for me to plant anything (vegetables/greens) and have it ready to eat before things get too cold? If so, any advice?

I'm very new to the whole gardening business, but I'd like to utilize this beautiful sunny patch of garden before the summer runs its course. Right now I've got sage, thyme, chives, rosemary and oregano all transplanted from my parents vast garden.
Yeah, Headcrusher is right about the vegies. You might be able to try to get away with planting some lettuce and green onions...they tend to grow pretty quick. You might be waiting till mid to late September before it's ready though.

Old
07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
So, long story short: I now have access to a small south facing front garden with just a few herbs in it and nothing else but soil.

Any experienced Edmonton gardeners think it's possible for me to plant anything (vegetables/greens) and have it ready to eat before things get too cold? If so, any advice?

I'm very new to the whole gardening business, but I'd like to utilize this beautiful sunny patch of garden before the summer runs its course. Right now I've got sage, thyme, chives, rosemary and oregano all transplanted from my parents vast garden.
Kale, plant Kale, learn to love Kale dried up, in salads, soups, stir fries. A hardy plant meant for northern climes and that you can actually continue to harvest as late as October and under snow cover. Its like a super fall plant that withstands cold temps and even tastes better with a lick of cold around it.

Old
07-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Yeah, Headcrusher is right about the vegies. You might be able to try to get away with planting some lettuce and green onions...they tend to grow pretty quick. You might be waiting till mid to late September before it's ready though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kale, plant Kale, learn to love Kale dried up, in salads, soups, stir fries. A hardy plant meant for northern climes and that you can actually continue to harvest as late as October and under snow cover. Its like a super fall plant that withstands cold temps and even tastes better with a lick of cold around it.
Yeah I was thinking greens for the most part. Seems like some spinach/lettuce/kale etc can be ready in 30-45 days or so. Got time for that still.

Old
07-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking greens for the most part. Seems like some spinach/lettuce/kale etc can be ready in 30-45 days or so. Got time for that still.
Like I mentioned Kale is especially suitable for this climate. Not to mention its a superfood and better in everyway then spinach and lettuce. With Kale also being used in dry form as even nutritious snack food.

Kale survives some snow and frost, where others don't.

Old
07-23-2014, 01:48 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Like I mentioned Kale is especially suitable for this climate. Not to mention its a superfood and better in everyway then spinach and lettuce. With Kale also being used in dry form as even nutritious snack food.

Notwithstanding taste of course . My problem with Kale is I'm not the biggest fan in the world. I like it in a soup or a stew, but I can definitely have too much.

Old
07-23-2014, 08:10 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, I planted my lettuce and onions a week after the May long weekend and it's been ready to pick for about a week or 2 now. So yeah, a month, month and a half shouldn't be an issue. Should bring you to the last week of August or so...especially with a S facing garden.

Damn, Kale sounds like a good idea. I remember eating dried salted kale as a kid, and I loved it. I may be planting more greens soon.

Old
07-23-2014, 08:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2656
You know I don't know if I ever knowingly had Kale. I'm sure somewhere down the line it was probably in a soup or something and I just ate it.

Is it something I could fry up with my brussel sprouts and make it more of a dish than an appetizer?

Old
07-23-2014, 08:31 AM
OiledUp

Quote:

Never was a Kale fan, never liked the trade, always thought Rieder was the better player, so I'd rather grow some Tobias.

Did they trade Rieder because he wouldn't survive snow and frost?

Oh wait this is the OT thread...

This is all very confusing.

Old
07-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Greasy Sliders

How is taste of edmonton this year? Hoping to go Saturday night and see Christian Hansen while I'm at it

Old
07-23-2014, 09:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Sliders View Post
How is taste of edmonton this year? Hoping to go Saturday night and see Christian Hansen while I'm at it
I haven't gone in years, these stupid things cost too much nowadays.

They use to be so nice to go to, especially since we'd go out on a nice summer's night.

Old
07-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Taste of Edmonton has never been good IMO except for the location.

Old
07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Love kale

Anyway anybody selling a chasing summer ticket

Old
07-24-2014, 03:28 PM
ghostnights
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 2338
The food this year is actually really good. The price point to portion really isn't that bad.

Old
07-24-2014, 03:50 PM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I haven't gone in years, these stupid things cost too much nowadays.

They use to be so nice to go to, especially since we'd go out on a nice summer's night.
the prices and quantity of food was a lot better this year.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
joestevens29

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...172724964.html

Had no idea there was connection. Just read about him getting his contract yesterday.

Old
07-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...172724964.html

Had no idea there was connection. Just read about him getting his contract yesterday.
small world, really small in the case of Alberta. That's a damn shame.

Old
07-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Just curious to see if anyone knows this.. but lets say you just got your motorcycle license. Are there any restrictions on the types of bikes you're allowed to insure/own? I've always heard that you wont be allowed have bikes that are 1000cc or greater.... hence why you always see '1000cc' bikes with displacements like 998, 999, etc. Manufacturers circumventing the law by just barely undercutting the 1L mark. Then once you've operated a <1000cc bike for X period of time can you then get a bigger bike.

Any truth to this?

Old
07-26-2014, 02:47 PM
40oz

I love that TSN2 plays AFL games, I know they have been for a while now. But it's still awesome and better than watching ****ing poker on TV.

Old
07-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
K-Days

Is this garbage for real? Had free passes to get in and I still have nothing but beef with this thing. Go into the admission into a expo area which is just people selling paintings of wildlife for what was seemingly 2km. Finally get to this "food court" to which no debit is allowed, told me to go outside to an ATM - fine, went out and paid $5.00 for an ATM withdraw but also found the food court that actually exists in Edmonton Expo - so instead of 8 bucks a hot dog got them for 4 bucks each.

Fed and ready to go. Walking with my under 2 year old son and have a carnie scare the **** out of him about a dart tossing game. I say he has no way to play it, he keeps yelling at me "This guy doesn't want his kid to have fun today!!" To which I stopped and went face to face with him "I'm here entirely to make sure he has fun, who are you to yell out otherwise?"

Play a fish catching game with magnets, they hand my son a rod. He grabs it, same time it magnetically snags a fish. According to them, game over. According to me, they didn't give a ****ing 22 month old a chance.

Then there's a game to take a pole, a stick and reach in and grab a goody bag for 5 bucks. We didn't play that. A pole to a bag.

Old
07-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
The carnies really vary in their personalities and social skills. We did have a couple of game vendors who let our 6 y.o. son have several extra tries and then gave him a prize anyway.

But there were also a few carnies who would talk **** about you after you passed their booth without giving them attention. A younger me would have happily made their lives miserable, but it's not worth the hassle.

On the flip side, some of the workers and volunteers (namely the trampoline kids and the soldiers, I'm sure there are more) made this K-days special for my kid, and I thank them.

It's an event we only attend every two years, and that seems about right.

Old
07-28-2014, 03:57 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
K-Days

Is this garbage for real? Had free passes to get in and I still have nothing but beef with this thing. Go into the admission into a expo area which is just people selling paintings of wildlife for what was seemingly 2km. Finally get to this "food court" to which no debit is allowed, told me to go outside to an ATM - fine, went out and paid $5.00 for an ATM withdraw but also found the food court that actually exists in Edmonton Expo - so instead of 8 bucks a hot dog got them for 4 bucks each.

Fed and ready to go. Walking with my under 2 year old son and have a carnie scare the **** out of him about a dart tossing game. I say he has no way to play it, he keeps yelling at me "This guy doesn't want his kid to have fun today!!" To which I stopped and went face to face with him "I'm here entirely to make sure he has fun, who are you to yell out otherwise?"

Play a fish catching game with magnets, they hand my son a rod. He grabs it, same time it magnetically snags a fish. According to them, game over. According to me, they didn't give a ****ing 22 month old a chance.

Then there's a game to take a pole, a stick and reach in and grab a goody bag for 5 bucks. We didn't play that. A pole to a bag.

Sounds like you had a great time.

I stopped going to K-Days like 5 years ago. It's just so repetitive and you get tired of it after going every year for like 20 years.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-28-2014, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

Sounds like you had a great time.

I stopped going to K-Days like 5 years ago. It's just so repetitive and you get tired of it after going every year for like 20 years.
This is me. If someone I know wants to go badly enough I'll go, but otherwise I really have no issue taking the money I saved and going all out on some damn nice cuts of meat and doing a BBQ.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Beerfish

Kale? It's horrendous stuff! If it is dried or dessicated to make chips perhaps but otherwise....blech!

If you buy a tomato plant of a decent size and use miracle grow you can still probably get something out of it if we don't get an overly early frost in Sept.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Kale? It's horrendous stuff! If it is dried or dessicated to make chips perhaps but otherwise....blech!

If you buy a tomato plant of a decent size and use miracle grow you can still probably get something out of it if we don't get an overly early frost in Sept.
Are you trying to eat Kale raw?

Prepared just like cooked spinach its awesome. Dried its awesome. In cooked indian curries and stews awesome. In soups awesome.

For use as a salad just as is its not recommended. Unprepared it has a bitter and strong taste, which with any preparation is tamed.

Old
07-28-2014, 12:30 PM
SerbianEagle

Kale is only awesome if you like it . Different people like different things.

Closed Thread