HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2014, 02:44 PM
  #676
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Haha smart guy. I just knew someone would say that when I posted that. It's alll good now. Went out and bought some off. Screw buying a $40 sprinkler.
Screw trying to use off. ( I almost screwed up there and stated "Screw off" not intending it that way...


My previous neighbor used to be outside doing yard work all the time and always had a tumbler of straight Rum or Whisky glued to his hand. Used to cut the lawn and do everything with one hand. Would put the glass down only under extreme dire circumstances. Priorities and all.

Could be seen working outside at anytime of day..although it took him twice as long to do anything. Bagging grass with one hand must've been a pita..

He swore the mosquitoes didn't bite him and if they tried they fell right off and hit the dirt..

Don't try this at home kids..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
  #677
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Screw trying to use off. ( I almost screwed up there and stated "Screw off" not intending it that way...


My previous neighbor used to be outside doing yard work all the time and always had a tumbler of straight Rum or Whisky glued to his hand. Used to cut the lawn and do everything with one hand. Would put the glass down only under extreme dire circumstances. Priorities and all.

Could be seen working outside at anytime of day..although it took him twice as long to do anything. Bagging grass with one hand must've been a pita..

He swore the mosquitoes didn't bite him and if they tried they fell right off and hit the dirt..

Don't try this at home kids..

So you live in the same trailer park as Julian does?

Cool beans!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 08:24 PM
  #678
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
How would that affect a musical concert?
Seriously... I didn't even notice any "hipsters". Everyone was dressed up looking real nice.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 11:59 PM
  #679
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
So you live in the same trailer park as Julian does?

Cool beans!
Maybe his bro. Funniest thing was the guy was the son of a preacher man.. he was a decent neighbor, good taste in rye, women and song among other things..

Millwoods doesn't need a trailer park to have some flavor..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
  #680
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
You might be interested in a new product that is now on the market . I think it's called a sprinkler.
This made me laugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward situation is so ****ed up. It's simply mind boggling that it actually happened.
This story made me confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Crazy, Robin Williams passed away.
This story made me sad.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 12:19 AM
  #681
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 50
Went to Edmonton area the other day.... Why is all of Sherwood Park under construction? Has that city been ignored for decades or something?

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 08:08 AM
  #682
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins
 
Ghostbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,329
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Went to Edmonton area the other day.... Why is all of Sherwood Park under construction? Has that city been ignored for decades or something?
The the Northeast expansion of the Henday mostly.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 10:39 AM
  #683
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Went to Edmonton area the other day.... Why is all of Sherwood Park under construction? Has that city been ignored for decades or something?
The thing that I've noticed is that they have quite good roads as a whole. Haven't needed much work up until now. That and they've been working on the surrounding Highways for quite some time including the big cluster**** Henday.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 04:45 PM
  #684
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
hey I know I could google it and already know some of the obvious places but anybody have any suggestions for best place to take my car for a full detailing? I know I could do it all myself, but I'd like to take it somewhere and get it professionally done, for you know, $300-$400.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 11:40 PM
  #685
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The thing that I've noticed is that they have quite good roads as a whole. Haven't needed much work up until now. That and they've been working on the surrounding Highways for quite some time including the big cluster**** Henday.
Yeah driving around in there felt like a big cluster****. Never seen so much construction in one place in a long time.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:29 AM
  #686
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Yeah driving around in there felt like a big cluster****. Never seen so much construction in one place in a long time.
Go to Southeast Edmonton. NONSTOP road, subdivision, facility, school construction going on for more than a decade and that never stops.

My daily commute involves counting slow moving dump trucks, cement trucks, watching slow men *working* and countless makework road construction and infrastructure projects that last for ever and non stop swirling dust and dirt on every outdoor surface blown around from the whole world seeming like its under construction..

The degree of construction going on around here and that has gone on in the last decade within 1mile is truly insane. In some cases one would think a moratorium is a bit in order. I guess its nice for newcomers that whole subdivisions and city infrastructure are springing up each year but for people already living in the area its nonstop headache.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 10:14 AM
  #687
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Go to Southeast Edmonton. NONSTOP road, subdivision, facility, school construction going on for more than a decade and that never stops.

My daily commute involves counting slow moving dump trucks, cement trucks, watching slow men *working* and countless makework road construction and infrastructure projects that last for ever and non stop swirling dust and dirt on every outdoor surface blown around from the whole world seeming like its under construction..

The degree of construction going on around here and that has gone on in the last decade within 1mile is truly insane. In some cases one would think a moratorium is a bit in order. I guess its nice for newcomers that whole subdivisions and city infrastructure are springing up each year but for people already living in the area its nonstop headache.
My biggest complaint and I took it to Iveson is why the hell do they shutdown a road like 17st then make it one lane in each direction only to shut it down again to expand it?

It's time to make developers start paying for the full development of these roads at the present and not leave it up to the City to expand if the City grows. The City is growing and if it doesn't oh well, all we are left with is extra road paid by a developer that is making millions.

For what it's worth Iveson agreed and was going to making changes if he got elected. Where he's at with it right now I'm not sure

It's also worth mentioning that people take what you wrote and realize what it means when buying in these areas that are on the edge of the City. A lot of people didn't realize that things would be this bad, but it's like this across the city. Going forward if you see an empty field anywhere near where you are buying expect headaches eventually.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 09:31 PM
  #688
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 50
When we moved to Edmonton proper in 1981 (we'd previously lived on Army bases), I remember allot of talk between my parents and some people they new saying how bad the City of Edmonton engineers and planners were at city street development.

Sounds like much hasn't changed.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:02 AM
  #689
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
When we moved to Edmonton proper in 1981 (we'd previously lived on Army bases), I remember allot of talk between my parents and some people they new saying how bad the City of Edmonton engineers and planners were at city street development.

Sounds like much hasn't changed.
I wonder if this has to do with Edmonton thinking it was "small" for way too long. I mean not recognizing that it was becoming a big city.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 11:39 AM
  #690
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
When we moved to Edmonton proper in 1981 (we'd previously lived on Army bases), I remember allot of talk between my parents and some people they new saying how bad the City of Edmonton engineers and planners were at city street development.

Sounds like much hasn't changed.
I've had discussions with city planners that have indicated that roadway expansions need to be evaluated by parameters like area population, expected use, and that the standards are exacting in whether a road needs 2lanes or 4. Whether it needs lights or 4 way stop etc.

Its been stated to me that using exacting standardization in this is cost effective and prevents over building of roads and infrastructure and prevents hegemony decisions and undue influence in wards where some districts may bet better and not warranted infrastructure.

I replied that this may work out conceptually on paper but that in the case of ever expanding neighborhoods what results is roadway construction incurring each time a new target indices has been met.

This typically followed by moment of silence on the other end of the phone, some stammering like that doesn't happen a lot, followed by an acknowledgement that it does happen in expanding areas a lot.
The planners have tried to convince me that even specific to the expanding regions that rebuilding roadways (the same roadways) every few years still makes sense and saves money.

sigh

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
  #691
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This typically followed by moment of silence on the other end of the phone, some stammering like that doesn't happen a lot, followed by an acknowledgement that it does happen in expanding areas a lot.
The planners have tried to convince me that even specific to the expanding regions that rebuilding roadways (the same roadways) every few years still makes sense and saves money.

sigh
Depends what type of rebuilding they do. If it's just a mill and overlay then yes it can be cheaper.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 05:09 PM
  #692
Gord
Tesla
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,765
vCash: 50
foo fighters did a good job in the ice bucket challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZO...ature=youtu.be

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 05:55 PM
  #693
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
foo fighters did a good job in the ice bucket challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZO...ature=youtu.be
Love donating to charities, but this is the stupidest challenge I've ever seen.

Not sure what it accomplishes other than the potential that you can have your neck broken.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:20 PM
  #694
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've had discussions with city planners that have indicated that roadway expansions need to be evaluated by parameters like area population, expected use, and that the standards are exacting in whether a road needs 2lanes or 4. Whether it needs lights or 4 way stop etc.

Its been stated to me that using exacting standardization in this is cost effective and prevents over building of roads and infrastructure and prevents hegemony decisions and undue influence in wards where some districts may bet better and not warranted infrastructure.

I replied that this may work out conceptually on paper but that in the case of ever expanding neighborhoods what results is roadway construction incurring each time a new target indices has been met.

This typically followed by moment of silence on the other end of the phone, some stammering like that doesn't happen a lot, followed by an acknowledgement that it does happen in expanding areas a lot.
The planners have tried to convince me that even specific to the expanding regions that rebuilding roadways (the same roadways) every few years still makes sense and saves money.

sigh
Interesting. I'm living in my parents house that they bought at the time, and it was......wait for it......here it comes.....an expanding neighborhood. Just South of 153rd Ave and West of 82 Street. Those 2 main roads now were dirt roads adjoining farmers fields to the North at the time. I could stand on the front porch and watch the cows and horses in the fields.

It's slightly () different now.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 10:30 PM
  #695
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
foo fighters did a good job in the ice bucket challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZO...ature=youtu.be
Good job? You call THAT a good job. You've gotta be kidding me.





That was ****ing brilliant man.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 09:34 AM
  #696
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Interesting. I'm living in my parents house that they bought at the time, and it was......wait for it......here it comes.....an expanding neighborhood. Just South of 153rd Ave and West of 82 Street. Those 2 main roads now were dirt roads adjoining farmers fields to the North at the time. I could stand on the front porch and watch the cows and horses in the fields.

It's slightly () different now.
There is pigs now too?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
  #697
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
There is pigs now too?
More chickens than pigs.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 11:20 AM
  #698
Gord
Tesla
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Good job? You call THAT a good job. You've gotta be kidding me.





That was ****ing brilliant man.
I undersold it in case you guys didn't think it was awesome.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
  #699
Gord
Tesla
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Love donating to charities, but this is the stupidest challenge I've ever seen.

Not sure what it accomplishes other than the potential that you can have your neck broken.
well, the awareness and visibility of ALS has NEVER been higher.
and the fact that donations coming in have also shot through the roof.

plus there is the bonus of seeing a lot of well know sports figures and celebs on a human level, being decent people. that has been kind of cool too.

so I'd say it has accomplished amazing things.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:21 PM
  #700
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,687
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Speak of the ALS Ice Challenge the co founder of the challenge has died from drowning.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...7-9681129.html

__________________
The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.