HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Old
09-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
The time has come for me to shop for a new family room TV. My old TV still works great (Toshiba Regza/Rezga), but is too small for the size of our living room so I'm looking to upgrade in the next month or two. I'm looking for one between the 40-49 inch range, but holy crap has TV shopping gotten confusing.

Budget is of concern as we're raising a young family so my max is roughly $850 (sale priced or not). I could care less if it is a smart tv or not, that is what the computer and tablet is for in my opinion. I don't subscribe to Netflix and I'm not a gamer...so basically the TV will be used for it's intended purpose which is (call me crazy here ) for watching television-we have no need for Facebook and whatever else on the tube. I watch a lot of sports (hockey, football, baseball) and my little ones have their cartoons. My wife watches regular TV shows. After speaking with a few different salesmen at Visions and Future Shop, I understand a TV with 120 hz is what I should go with. After doing a ton of research, I've narrowed it down to three brands 1) Panasonic 2) Samsung 3) LG but am open to any suggestions. One guy at Visions said they dropped Sony because their quality has gone down some and their customer service is questionable so I don't think I want to go that route. I asked about Toshiba since my current TV has been a gem and he basically said the same thing about Toshiba as he did Sony. I'm hoping some of you folks could share your experiences with any of these brands I listed or could recommend a certain model of ANY brand to go with. On the flip side, bad experiences and advice to stay away from a certain brand or model are most welcome too. Thanks in advance for your help and advice!!!
I think the only requirement is the 120 Hz because that's the optimal refresh rate to watch hockey.

I don't really think you can go wrong with a TV anymore. I recently bought a Heier (discount brand TV from Costco) for my workout room and I am quite impressed with the quality.

If you don't care about all the fancy options (and I agree with you on those things) just pick the cheaper option between the brands you like.

Here's an LG that fits your criteria thats probably good enough.

http://www.costco.ca/LG-47LB6100-47-...100112026.html

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 01:39 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Ugh.....can we go back to Stockton please? Really the Seinfield Puffy shirts?

09-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Ugh.....can we go back to Stockton please? Really the Seinfield Puffy shirts?

I got alot of problems with you people, and now you're going to hear about it.

Old
09-03-2014, 05:22 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I got alot of problems with you people, and now you're going to hear about it.
It is not Festivus yet so hold your airing of grievances.

The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 10:27 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Political correctness aside... I for one welcome these leaked photos... some truly great ones out there...
well someone has a better portfolio then I had thought---not that I have seen the photos--that of course is just wrong

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Instant Rayman

vCash: 500
Just wondering, how long has it taken for any of you to receive your drivers license in the mail after renewing it? I was told 1 to 2 weeks, but on average am I looking at 2 weeks?

It's crazy how the moment I'm out of a drivers license I keep running into situations where I'm required to prove my identity with a photo issued card. Nobody ever bothered to ask when I actually had my card!

Instant Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant Rayman View Post
Just wondering, how long has it taken for any of you to receive your drivers license in the mail after renewing it? I was told 1 to 2 weeks, but on average am I looking at 2 weeks?

It's crazy how the moment I'm out of a drivers license I keep running into situations where I'm required to prove my identity with a photo issued card. Nobody ever bothered to ask when I actually had my card!
The whole system in Alberta for Drivers Licences is asinine. When I moved to Alberta i couldn't buy alcohol or go into a bar for two weeks because that damn piece of paper isn't good enough for anything it seems.

When I lived in New Brunswick i got mine printed on the spot. I mean, even Costco can provide a card within seconds.

Pro tip, get a passport before you renew your licence.

Old
09-04-2014, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
The whole system in Alberta for Drivers Licences is asinine. When I moved to Alberta i couldn't buy alcohol or go into a bar for two weeks because that damn piece of paper isn't good enough for anything it seems.

When I lived in New Brunswick i got mine printed on the spot. I mean, even Costco can provide a card within seconds.

Pro tip, get a passport before you renew your licence.
Being a hunter also helps you as well as you are suppose to have a FAC which is federally issued with a photo.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/09/0...administration

Gotta love it, but it's okay that cost are 8 or 9 times high because they are making it up by gaining all the revenue now.

Old
09-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Gotta love it, but it's okay that cost are 8 or 9 times high because they are making it up by gaining all the revenue now.
Yeah those cost overruns are ridiculous, that's more on the operation, it shouldn't cost THAT much.

I will say, and I was thinking about this this morning driving in on the Whitemud, fatalities on Edmonton roads would go up significantly if they got rid of photoradar. I'm completely serious, I don't trust the drivers to use even a small measure sense when driving around if there's no photoradar and it's tantamount to a free for all.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Staples has a better article on it (mark down the date you hear me saying something like that.. )

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Stapl...467/story.html

Heres the smoking gun, cash cow, you bet.

Quote:
Part of the increase came as a result of a huge increase in the number of operating photo radar cameras. From 2011 to 2013, the overall number of tickets almost tripled. But the fastest growing category was drivers going just 6-to-10 km/h over the speed limit, where the number of tickets was five times as high.
Meanwhile bike riding Don Iveson has no concerns that filthy speeders going 6km over on the henday are getting tickets..with afairc minimum ticket being 87bucks plus fees and goes up to well over a 100 if you don't have time to go to Courthouse to pay it or dispute it. Of course the city knows those small tickets are ripe plums because they are the least likely to be contested and people just bend over and pay it. The game is rigged right. you gotta pay. You're not getting new vehicle registration without paying.

ps For 5 years the City has continued to contract the Dallas firm because they can't figure out how to process tickets. This not being able to figure out how to process tickets for 5yrs has meant the city continuing to pay that firm 20M bucks. The reason the expenses are so high is the city paying itself to do this, AND paying the Dallas firm to do this...oh man..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 11:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah those cost overruns are ridiculous, that's more on the operation, it shouldn't cost THAT much.

I will say, and I was thinking about this this morning driving in on the Whitemud, fatalities on Edmonton roads would go up significantly if they got rid of photoradar. I'm completely serious, I don't trust the drivers to use even a small measure sense when driving around if there's no photoradar and it's tantamount to a free for all.
I really don't think it would be much different. BC doesn't have it and they seem to do okay. People know where the photo radar is and they just slow down for the 200m and put their speed back up.

Old
09-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
I really don't think it would be much different. BC doesn't have it and they seem to do okay. People know where the photo radar is and they just slow down for the 200m and put their speed back up.
BC only got rid of it recently, so the numbers aren't really out on the "change" but it will be clear. And I have even less faith in Albertans and Edmontonians to be even remotely sensible without the risk of consequence.

Old
09-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:

disagree. there is no proof that photo radar saves lives. how does it make you drive more safely to pay money weeks after you committed the offense?

actually having the police stop you, and giving demerits + ticket changes habits. with photo radar, the only habit that changes is you slow down until you're past the unit, and then speed up again.

especially with people who are well off. how does a $100 ticket every so often change their habits?

When they scale the fine to your salary and net worth, then I'll not complain so much about radar. make it a lot more equal.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 12:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
BC only got rid of it recently, so the numbers aren't really out on the "change" but it will be clear. And I have even less faith in Albertans and Edmontonians to be even remotely sensible without the risk of consequence.
It's been gone for 10+ years no?

Old
09-05-2014, 12:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
disagree. there is no proof that photo radar saves lives. how does it make you drive more safely to pay money weeks after you committed the offense?

actually having the police stop you, and giving demerits + ticket changes habits. with photo radar, the only habit that changes is you slow down until you're past the unit, and then speed up again.

especially with people who are well off. how does a $100 ticket every so often change their habits?

When they scale the fine to your salary and net worth, then I'll not complain so much about radar. make it a lot more equal.
I agree. The only way photo radar will work is if they have boxes mounted every few hundred yards on the freeways, otherwise people just slow down when they see the vans/trucks.

Old
09-05-2014, 02:24 PM
SerbianEagle

What they need is more police officers patrolling the roads, not some guy sitting in a truck on a Henday overpass tagging people who are going between 6-15 km/h over the posted limit. There is a reason why a police officer will not turn around an chase someone doing between 6-15km/h over the limit. There are far more dangerous things that happen on Edmonton roads.

Twice in 3 days I had someone run a stop sign forcing me to break, hard enough for tires to really squeal. Both times a person was on the phone. Both times they flipped me the bird. Just recently I had someone downtown turn in front of me totally oblivious. When i honked, guess what...that bird again. Having actual cops on the streets will clear up stuff like this. A photo radar van will not.

Also, I challenge anyone here to drive 100km/h on Henday and tell me how comfortable you feel. 98% of the cars are driving above the limit. You have someone on your @$$ regardless of the lane you are in.

Put the limit at 110, and enforce with cops. That changes driving habits quick! Also, in rare situations someone may be speeding for a reason, and a cop would understand that. Photo radar van will not.

Its such an obvious cash grab disguised as safety enforcement, and I can't believe people still fall for it.

I had an instance where i was pulled over by an officer for going over the limit. I was driving over the limit, fair game to him. Its a road I don't drive often, and I thought it was a 60 zone, but it was a 50 zone. Still got a ticket, but after looking at my record, he gave me a break and ticketed me for 13 over, instead of 23.

More cops, less picture takers. Period!

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
What they need is more police officers patrolling the roads, not some guy sitting in a truck on a Henday overpass tagging people who are going between 6-15 km/h over the posted limit. There is a reason why a police officer will not turn around an chase someone doing between 6-15km/h over the limit. There are far more dangerous things that happen on Edmonton roads.

Twice in 3 days I had someone run a stop sign forcing me to break, hard enough for tires to really squeal. Both times a person was on the phone. Both times they flipped me the bird. Just recently I had someone downtown turn in front of me totally oblivious. When i honked, guess what...that bird again. Having actual cops on the streets will clear up stuff like this. A photo radar van will not.

Also, I challenge anyone here to drive 100km/h on Henday and tell me how comfortable you feel. 98% of the cars are driving above the limit. You have someone on your @$$ regardless of the lane you are in.

Put the limit at 110, and enforce with cops. That changes driving habits quick! Also, in rare situations someone may be speeding for a reason, and a cop would understand that. Photo radar van will not.

Its such an obvious cash grab disguised as safety enforcement, and I can't believe people still fall for it.

I had an instance where i was pulled over by an officer for going over the limit. I was driving over the limit, fair game to him. Its a road I don't drive often, and I thought it was a 60 zone, but it was a 50 zone. Still got a ticket, but after looking at my record, he gave me a break and ticketed me for 13 over, instead of 23.

More cops, less picture takers. Period!
Honestly, the simplest solution is MUCH harsher fines, the problem is enough people who have actual influence, don't want those.

Old
09-05-2014, 03:26 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Honestly, the simplest solution is MUCH harsher fines, the problem is enough people who have actual influence, don't want those.
Not really. There is no simple solution, first of all. Revisiting speed limits on primary and certain secondary highways while hiring more officers(RCMP as well) to patrol them is a nice start. If you've ever driven in Germany you noticed that some highways have no speed limits, yet it functions so nicely. This leads into my second point...

Driver education...The system is broken. There is corruption, and bribing. Seeing what I see on the roads I came to the conclusion that some of the people driving here could not have passed the tests even here. They bought their licenses. Thats the only explanation. Why don't people know how to navigate a traffic circle? Why don't people know how to merge or change lanes properly?

Increasing fines is wrong. Proper driver education and more traffic officers is the answer. More photo radar and increasing those fines would, however, be so typical of the way our politicians think.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post

Increasing fines is wrong. Proper driver education and more traffic officers is the answer. More photo radar and increasing those fines would, however, be so typical of the way our politicians think.
I disagree. I think increasing the fines in a way such as Finland does would be a good idea. not the best way to combat speeding, but at least the more well off people would have a consequence to speeding they don't have now.

I doubt a guy making $300,000 a year cares about the occasional $84 photo radar ticket as much as a guy making $25,000 a year.

If RNH got a $20,000 speeding ticket under his 6 million salary, he might be more careful than if he got an $84 ticket.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Staples has a better article on it (mark down the date you hear me saying something like that.. )

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Stapl...467/story.html

Heres the smoking gun, cash cow, you bet.

Meanwhile bike riding Don Iveson has no concerns that filthy speeders going 6km over on the henday are getting tickets..with afairc minimum ticket being 87bucks plus fees and goes up to well over a 100 if you don't have time to go to Courthouse to pay it or dispute it. Of course the city knows those small tickets are ripe plums because they are the least likely to be contested and people just bend over and pay it. The game is rigged right. you gotta pay. You're not getting new vehicle registration without paying.

ps For 5 years the City has continued to contract the Dallas firm because they can't figure out how to process tickets. This not being able to figure out how to process tickets for 5yrs has meant the city continuing to pay that firm 20M bucks. The reason the expenses are so high is the city paying itself to do this, AND paying the Dallas firm to do this...oh man..
I ran into that problem going up 144th avenue this summer. Got 2 tickets on the same trip, going to my buddies house and going home.

@ serbianeagle: hell, people don't even know how to use their signal indicator around this city. Never mind something as advanced () as a traffic circle.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Lacaar

Holy crap does the tour of Alberta turn traffic into a bloody gong show.

They must have had access to Claireview cut off for an hour on all of Manning drive and fort road.

Had to drive 1 hour in crawling traffic to what should have literally been a 3 minute drive.
Detour all the way to yellowhead from Manning and the Henday.

Has to be the biggest traffic disaster I've ever witnessed in this city over the past 30 years.

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2014, 01:33 AM
Fuhryous

I have some good friends who work in varied capacities of law enforcement-a couple of them are police officers (RCMP and various cities) who work traffic and a few others either work for the provincial government or a county. When I ask them what they think the answer is to get people to slow down, they all say the same thing: jack up the demerit points.

A few have told me that when someone pleads not guilty to a speeding ticket, it is almost always plead out on the trial date before it goes to trial. Most of the time, the person they charged is guilty as hell...they know it and readily admit to it. They could care less about the fine amount on the ticket, what they do care about is the number of demerit points to be assessed on their license, so they will work out a deal with the prosecutor (depending on how bad the original offence was) to reduce the number of demerit points and everyone wins.

When you start hitting the driving record with stiffer demerit points, people will start paying better attention to their speed and their general driving habits-in my opinion anyways. In many cases, it goes beyond money as demerit points can often affect someone's ability to obtain or keep their employment. If they have too many demerit points, I believe they are deemed an insurance risk and the premiums go up for their employing company. If they are in a competition for a driving position of some sort, the hiring company is much more likely to take the applicant with 3 demerit points versus the other applicant with 7.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Copperhead

Someone did a nice study of how often hockey fans swear and surprisingly fans of Canadian hockey teams are much more gentle in their speech.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-boston-bruins

The must sweartastic group of fans? Flames fans at 12th worst (best?) of NHL teams. Montreal is next at 17.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Someone did a nice study of how often hockey fans swear and surprisingly fans of Canadian hockey teams are much more gentle in their speech.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-boston-bruins

The must sweartastic group of fans? Flames fans at 12th worst (best?) of NHL teams. Montreal is next at 17.
Kind of connected with this is the surround sound setup of the Labor Day game in Calgary had an interesting feed. All I could hear out of the back speakers was crowd noise but mostly some drunken fans babbling, bantering and swearing. I have no problem with such things and it was kind of amusing but it also one would thing kind of changes the rating of what a broadcast would be. As in regular swearing. I expect there would've been more swearing if stamps were losing.
The placement of some of the microphones was interesting..must've been in drunk section.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote