HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 - 2014 Season Roster Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2013, 03:56 PM
  #976
BUX7PHX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I could see a Fidler helping our bottom 6. It is a question of money though. If we acquire veteran talent, we likely need salary going back the other way, because we can't afford it. Dallas would want draft picks or AHL players for Fidler, not a cap dump back. If so, who would we trade for a Fidler? I don't think he is worth Schlemko for instance. We don't really have a non producing cap dump type player we can trade without hurting our team to get a bottom 6 guy. So, if we have to trade some young talent, and up our payroll, I had rather get a top 6 forward. That would make it easier to include a Moss in the package. Just my thoughts, but I do wonder what strategy DM and Tip are thinking for improvements....
Well, if we try for a deal about 30% of the way through the season, that means that Fiddler would have already been paid about $540 k of his $1.8 million, so we would owe roughly $1.26 million. Maybe a deal like Ethan Werek and a pick would work. We give a better pick for the more salary that Dallas eats (make it a 6th rounder if Dallas covers up to 10% of salary, a 5th rounder if they go to 20%). Plus moving Szwarz down drops his salary from about $600,000 down to somewhere closer to $100,000 for the AHL, correct?

So essentially, we'd be owing about $600,000 more to obtain Fiddler's rights, if my math is correct. ($1.8 million - $540,000 - 15% salary retention of $270,000 - difference of 2-way contract for Szwarz of about $450,000)

BUX7PHX is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 04:03 PM
  #977
cobra427
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Well, if we try for a deal about 30% of the way through the season, that means that Fiddler would have already been paid about $540 k of his $1.8 million, so we would owe roughly $1.26 million. Maybe a deal like Ethan Werek and a pick would work. We give a better pick for the more salary that Dallas eats (make it a 6th rounder if Dallas covers up to 10% of salary, a 5th rounder if they go to 20%). Plus moving Szwarz down drops his salary from about $600,000 down to somewhere closer to $100,000 for the AHL, correct?

So essentially, we'd be owing about $600,000 more to obtain Fiddler's rights, if my math is correct. ($1.8 million - $540,000 - 15% salary retention of $270,000 - difference of 2-way contract for Szwarz of about $450,000)
For 600k this year and not much in assets, I would be for it too..I hope you are right...

cobra427 is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 04:09 PM
  #978
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team
 
Vip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Mexico
Posts: 14,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Patrick Eaves was just waived by Detroit. If Maloney wants some cheap insurance on our PK, he can certainly pick up a pretty darn good PKer for free now. Definitely would be a speedy compliment to Chipchura and Halpern.
Man I wish we would pick him up.

Vip is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 04:26 PM
  #979
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Fragile Hanzal and Klesla at the Olympics is gonna give me a heart attack. Would much rather them parked in front of the tv.
or the Czechs don't make the medal round. Also worried about Z, body can only stand so many blocked shots....and not a big body at that.


Last edited by SniperHF: 11-14-2013 at 05:29 PM.
AZviaNJ is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 04:48 PM
  #980
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Well, if we try for a deal about 30% of the way through the season, that means that Fiddler would have already been paid about $540 k of his $1.8 million, so we would owe roughly $1.26 million. Maybe a deal like Ethan Werek and a pick would work. We give a better pick for the more salary that Dallas eats (make it a 6th rounder if Dallas covers up to 10% of salary, a 5th rounder if they go to 20%). Plus moving Szwarz down drops his salary from about $600,000 down to somewhere closer to $100,000 for the AHL, correct?

So essentially, we'd be owing about $600,000 more to obtain Fiddler's rights, if my math is correct. ($1.8 million - $540,000 - 15% salary retention of $270,000 - difference of 2-way contract for Szwarz of about $450,000)
Yeah, I'd rather go after Eaves for free now that he's on waivers than give up assets (minimal as they may be) for Fiddler.

IPreferPi is online now  
Old
11-14-2013, 05:25 PM
  #981
BUX7PHX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yeah, I'd rather go after Eaves for free now that he's on waivers than give up assets (minimal as they may be) for Fiddler.
I think it would work similarly for Eaves, but we would not get the salary retention piece. However, since his 2013-14 salary with Detroit was $1.2 million, we could sign for $1 million and get the similar reduction by sending Szwarz down. I think that it would be a difference of maybe $100 k for picking up Eaves instead of Fiddler, which would seem to be a minor blip comparatively.

The Fiddler pickup is also making several assumptions about when we would pick Vern up and what, if any, salary retention that we could get Dallas to agree to. If Dallas would not agree to any retention, the $ would have to be reduced by waiting to make a deal, which may bring other teams into play for Fiddler's services.

And I think that Werek is probably the best situation that we could hope for in a player to give up, as he is not in the same breath as players like Miele, Szwarz, or Brown - all of whom are much closer to cracking an NHL roster than Werek at this point.

BUX7PHX is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 06:01 PM
  #982
_Del_
Registered User
 
_Del_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SkullcrusherMountain
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Eaves is not what he used to be. Fiddler would be a far better pickup, even if he cost an asset. We already know he fits like a glove, and he can win faceoffs.
Even better might be sitting tight and using that cash in the budget for a legitimate top-six forward, yes?? We have a lot of bottom six options, even if they aren't all exciting.

_Del_ is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
  #983
BUX7PHX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Eaves is not what he used to be. Fiddler would be a far better pickup, even if he cost an asset. We already know he fits like a glove, and he can win faceoffs.
Even better might be sitting tight and using that cash in the budget for a legitimate top-six forward, yes?? We have a lot of bottom six options, even if they aren't all exciting.
We do have a lot of bottom 6 options, but with our issues on the PK and defensive responsibility from forwards, we have the following problems:

Chipchura and Szwarz are not used on the PK. Szwarz actually looked fine on PK during the preseason, and I've made mention that I don't think that Chip has the face-off skill or ability to change directions quickly to be an effective PKer. Tip hasn't used either of them much this season, so that kind of buys into my theory on Chip and maybe Tip just simply doesn't want Szwarz out on PK being as young as he is.

Brown may be able to play on the PK, but I feel like he falls into the same category as Szwarz and Chip.

Miele is probably not our best option either, although he at least has the footspeed to be effective.

That right there is 4 of the 6 guys who have been playing effective minutes on the 3rd and 4th lines. The other two or three are already on the PK - Moss, Korpikoski, and Halpern. However, with the time that Halpern has missed and Korpi having somewhat of a down year, I'd say that we don't really have as many bottom 6 options as one might think.

BUX7PHX is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 06:24 PM
  #984
AndrewYotes
Registered User
 
AndrewYotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
I don't see why Tippet doesn't try Swarz on the PK. He's clutch with it down in Portland. It seems that would be more useful to the team than playing energy minutes. I guess Tippet is concerned about his experience level considering how badly our PK has been doing so far (something like 23rd).

AndrewYotes is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 06:59 PM
  #985
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,170
vCash: 500
PK has been streaky, Started absolutely horrible. Then for like 8 games was nearly perfect and is now back to awful again.

SniperHF is online now  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:53 PM
  #986
Longwayfromhome
Sweden/London, UK.
 
Longwayfromhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: England
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
PK has been streaky, Started absolutely horrible. Then for like 8 games was nearly perfect and is now back to awful again.
The only consistent thing about the team so far is their ability to win games despite playing meh hockey. And scoring on the power play. And OEL.

Longwayfromhome is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:59 PM
  #987
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
The only consistent thing about the team so far is their ability to win games despite playing meh hockey. And scoring on the power play. And OEL.
And the fact that Smith is turning into a beast again. And that Hanzal is becoming a top two-way center in the league. And that Yandle is lighting it up almost every night. And that Z blocks more shots than he has teeth. And that Lou made "Lulu" and that will never be forgivable.

Grimes is online now  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:59 PM
  #988
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwayfromhome View Post
And OEL.
Even OEL made a habit of passing directly to opposing wingers the first 10 games or so

SniperHF is online now  
Old
11-14-2013, 08:02 PM
  #989
Longwayfromhome
Sweden/London, UK.
 
Longwayfromhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Country: England
Posts: 462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
And the fact that Smith is turning into a beast again. And that Hanzal is becoming a top two-way center in the league. And that Yandle is lighting it up almost every night. And that Z blocks more shots than he has teeth. And that Lou made this and it will never be forgivable
And that Vrbata still is extremely underrated. And that Ribeiro is tearing it up, both on the ice and in the night clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Even OEL made a habit of passing directly to opposing wingers the first 10 games or so
But then he scores in overtime and all is forgotten.

Longwayfromhome is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 08:04 PM
  #990
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
And that Vrbata still is extremely underrated.
Cheers. Here's to a good game.

Grimes is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
  #991
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,145
vCash: 500
I would definitely replace Szwarz with Eaves. Tippett doesn't yet trust the rookie with PK minutes. Eaves is a bit of a specialist in that regard. He's loo good with Chipchura and Halpern on that 4th line. Let Szwarz go back down and be captain in Portland. He can get top minutes down there and specialty team work. He's been really impressive in the NHL so far, but he could probably use some minutes.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:43 AM
  #992
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
I don't see why Tippet doesn't try Swarz on the PK. He's clutch with it down in Portland. It seems that would be more useful to the team than playing energy minutes. I guess Tippet is concerned about his experience level considering how badly our PK has been doing so far (something like 23rd).
I agree. The only way to see if he can handle it is by playing Szwarz in that situation. Our PK is very inconsistent right now, so why not give it a shot.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:46 AM
  #993
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I would definitely replace Szwarz with Eaves. Tippett doesn't yet trust the rookie with PK minutes. Eaves is a bit of a specialist in that regard. He's loo good with Chipchura and Halpern on that 4th line. Let Szwarz go back down and be captain in Portland. He can get top minutes down there and specialty team work. He's been really impressive in the NHL so far, but he could probably use some minutes.
I would like to give Szwarz a try on the PK before we burn another contract and money on another player.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:50 AM
  #994
Jakey53
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
Eaves is not what he used to be. Fiddler would be a far better pickup, even if he cost an asset. We already know he fits like a glove, and he can win faceoffs.
Even better might be sitting tight and using that cash in the budget for a legitimate top-six forward, yes?? We have a lot of bottom six options, even if they aren't all exciting.
We picked up Halpern, so I don't think we have an interest in Fiddler, unless the Stars would take Halpern in a trade and retain a little of Fiddler's salary.

Jakey53 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 12:28 PM
  #995
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,145
vCash: 500
Eaves cleared.

rt is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 12:30 PM
  #996
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,789
vCash: 500
Well there goes that.

IPreferPi is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 03:22 PM
  #997
BUX7PHX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Think we could find a deal for Jay McClement with Toronto?

I think that this is the type of deal where we could offer Schlemko, but I think it may be a hard sell for the Leafs.

BUX7PHX is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 03:28 PM
  #998
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Think we could find a deal for Jay McClement with Toronto?

I think that this is the type of deal where we could offer Schlemko, but I think it may be a hard sell for the Leafs.
McClement has been Gordon for Toronto, and their center depth is hurting right now. No way any team would be able to pry him away.

IPreferPi is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 03:34 PM
  #999
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,145
vCash: 500
Bozak is skating and Kadri's suspension is short-term. I don't think their return will make McClement available, but it might make Jerred Smithson a possible trade target. Great on the PK, good on the boards and excellent face-off guy who is right-handed. Gives us another RH option for face off specialist when Halpern is hurt. Can play RW too.

rt is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.