HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Hamilton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2013, 07:31 PM
  #1
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
Ryan Hamilton

Intresting move, wonder where he fits in now? Hall must be staying at center for now.

Cant figure this one out. Does he need to clear waivers again if sent down?

GMofOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:36 PM
  #2
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,527
vCash: 500
Probably for 4th line duty when Eakins doesn't want to dress the face puncher (Gazdic/Brown). I think he does have to go through waivers but he won't get claimed anyways.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:41 PM
  #3
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,657
vCash: 50
I thought Eager looked better than him in the preseason.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:42 PM
  #4
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
He cleared waivers before being assigned to OKC, they can just recall him.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
  #5
Enlighten
Registered User
 
Enlighten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,029
vCash: 500
I think it might be a backup plan for if Smyth doesn't show a hell of more in the near future. Hamilton can't do much but he work the boards and behind the pretty good or good enough until Gags gets back anyway.

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:13 PM
  #6
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
How long was Crosby out with the jaw injury? I know it was playoffs when he returned...5 or 6 weeks? Could mean Gags is back by early November with a full cage if his recovery is going well.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:17 PM
  #7
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Intresting move, wonder where he fits in now? Hall must be staying at center for now.

Cant figure this one out. Does he need to clear waivers again if sent down?
Good question. A few CBAs ago, once a player cleared one time they became exempt - then it changed...not sure what the rules are now. Are Omark, Jones, Larsen and Eager waiver exempt now that they have cleared once already? Would be nice to know that the depth is in place if needed.

There are no longer re-entry waiver per new CBA.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:20 PM
  #8
Dooman
Registered User
 
Dooman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Good question. A few CBAs ago, once a player cleared one time they became exempt - then it changed...not sure what the rules are now. Are Omark, Jones, Larsen and Eager waiver exempt now that they have cleared once already? Would be nice to know that the depth is in place if needed.
R
There are no longer re-entry waiver per new CBA.
As I understand it, they can be recalled/sent down until they've played ten games or been on the roster for thirty days

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:23 PM
  #9
NugeFan
Registered User
 
NugeFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
We can only hope that they Smytty to the pressbox. I know I know...it's only wishful thinking. Eakins seems to have a hard-on for the guy. Time to hang up the skates pal.

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:33 PM
  #10
eskies4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 283
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugeFan View Post
We can only hope that they Smytty to the pressbox. I know I know...it's only wishful thinking. Eakins seems to have a hard-on for the guy. Time to hang up the skates pal.
We're one game into the season and you're already saying this?

eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:35 PM
  #11
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,891
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
We're one game into the season and you're already saying this?
Have you seen his interviews?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
  #12
skorf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
We've got 12 forwards right now... I wonder if someone tweaked something and may miss the Vancouver game (or if someone had a bad couple days of practice)

Interesting move considering we get Nuge back on Monday and it sounded like Eakins didn't want to carry too many extra press box guys.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring back Eager instead (or keep him up) just so they can have more fighters in when they play the Canucks on Saturday... though with Eager's comments about targeting star players, maybe he was sent down for a reason to not draw any suspicion if something were to happen.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:51 PM
  #13
NugeFan
Registered User
 
NugeFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
We're one game into the season and you're already saying this?
No! I'm saying this because he's been with Hall since day one of training camp. Typical Smytty fan lolol

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:55 PM
  #14
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,726
vCash: 50
Ya, I would have rather had Eager in I think. It's obviously a 4th line/PB move so not too big a deal... but so far from what I've seen of Hamilton, he hasn't looked like he delivers much of anything. Of course let's give him a shot and see what he can do in a real game. Hopefully he surprises us all.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:58 PM
  #15
NugeFan
Registered User
 
NugeFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Ya, I would have rather had Eager in I think. It's obviously a 4th line/PB move so not too big a deal... but so far from what I've seen of Hamilton, he hasn't looked like he delivers much of anything. Of course let's give him a shot and see what he can do in a real game. Hopefully he surprises us all.
I agree. He can't skate...but he's has to be better than Smytty no?

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:34 PM
  #16
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
How long was Crosby out with the jaw injury? I know it was playoffs when he returned...5 or 6 weeks? Could mean Gags is back by early November with a full cage if his recovery is going well.
1 month

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:01 PM
  #17
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Probably for 4th line duty when Eakins doesn't want to dress the face puncher (Gazdic/Brown). I think he does have to go through waivers but he won't get claimed anyways.
Based on my limited viewings, I'd have to say Gazdic is a superior player to Hamilton in all aspects, not just punching faces.

Gazdic can skate, hit, shoot, and play the puck (at least somewhat).

Hamilton looks as slow as molasses out there, adds zero toughness, and his offense hasn't translated to the NHL at all.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
  #18
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Based on my limited viewings, I'd have to say Gazdic is a superior player to Hamilton in all aspects, not just punching faces.

Gazdic can skate, hit, shoot, and play the puck (at least somewhat).

Hamilton looks as slow as molasses out there, adds zero toughness, and his offense hasn't translated to the NHL at all.
Ryan Hamilton was tied for 5th in the AHL in goals last year. 30 in 56 games.

Gazdic might be a better NHL player when you consider the type of rolls that each respective player would fill. But Gazdic better in all facets? Laughable. Besides, how do we know his offense hasn't translated to the NHL? He has 12 career games.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:58 PM
  #19
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Ryan Hamilton was tied for 5th in the AHL in goals last year. 30 in 56 games.

Gazdic might be a better NHL player when you consider the type of rolls that each respective player would fill. But Gazdic better in all facets? Laughable. Besides, how do we know his offense hasn't translated to the NHL? He has 12 career games.
We've had lots of these AHL pluggers in our organization who put up numbers in the AHL: Cornet, Josh Green, Alexandre Giroux, Charles Linglet, Chris Minard, etc. None of them skate well enough to play in the NHL, and they put up jack squat for offence when they were up with the big team.

Ryan Hamilton is another one cut from the same cloth.

The real question you should be asking yourself is why we are wasting our time with this contract.

At least Gazdic can skate without embarrassing himself, and adds toughness to the line-up.

He also has more goals in the NHL than Hamilton, despite being 5 years younger, and playing only 5 minutes.

It would be ridiculous to take Gazdic out after scoring, and kicking the tar out of Thorburn - simply to replace him with this plug.


Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 10-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:05 PM
  #20
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,468
vCash: 500
Weird.

I thought with RNH coming back we'd have to subtract a LWer not add one.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:17 PM
  #21
shiva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Lowetide had a theory, and I agree because it makes the most sense, they are keeping Hall in the middle till Gags is back. I think Hamilton will be in for Brown more than anything, and also for game day injuries to players, as the team only has enough players on the main roster to dress for games.

shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:25 PM
  #22
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
@JonathanWillis
Ryan Hamilton's been recalled because one of the #Oilers current players is questionable for Saturday and they want the healthy body.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:13 AM
  #23
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Face punchers. Yeah. Great term.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 03:28 AM
  #24
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
We've had lots of these AHL pluggers in our organization who put up numbers in the AHL: Cornet, Josh Green, Alexandre Giroux, Charles Linglet, Chris Minard, etc. None of them skate well enough to play in the NHL, and they put up jack squat for offence when they were up with the big team.

Ryan Hamilton is another one cut from the same cloth.

The real question you should be asking yourself is why we are wasting our time with this contract.

At least Gazdic can skate without embarrassing himself, and adds toughness to the line-up.

He also has more goals in the NHL than Hamilton, despite being 5 years younger, and playing only 5 minutes.

It would be ridiculous to take Gazdic out after scoring, and kicking the tar out of Thorburn - simply to replace him with this plug.
I completely agree, Hamilton is not an NHL player. Gazdic is at least decent in his role, what role does Hamilton fill in our lineup? Slowest skater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
@JonathanWillis
Ryan Hamilton's been recalled because one of the #Oilers current players is questionable for Saturday and they want the healthy body.
Unless that player is Smyth we lose this potential trade off.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 03:30 AM
  #25
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Lowetide had a theory, and I agree because it makes the most sense, they are keeping Hall in the middle till Gags is back. I think Hamilton will be in for Brown more than anything, and also for game day injuries to players, as the team only has enough players on the main roster to dress for games.
For injury I can understand, but to replace Brown? Brown is a better skater, plays more physically, and does well in an energy role.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.