HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

2013-14 New TV Comedies

Old
09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 1963
2013-14 New TV Comedies

Thread to talk about new sitcoms that debut this season. Last season was pretty disappointing, Go On was the only decent comedy and it ended up getting cancelled (due to high costs I think). The pilots of a few of these (Back In The Game, The Goldbergs, and Trophy Wife) are already online. There are quite a few so maybe a couple will stick this season. I won't add the trailers because so many youtube links slow the page down...the top three seem to be the 'editor picks' though that's just based on trailers and cast.

Some of these already have a pilot up.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Sep 17, Fox)
Has Adam Samberg, from creators of Parks & Rec. Police comedy.

The Michael J Fox Show (Sep 26, NBC)
Michael J Fox plays a character who also has Parkinson's and attempts to return to work as a news anchor.

The Crazy Ones (Sep 26, CBS)
Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar, single-camera comedy

Dads (Sep 17, Fox)
First non-cartoon sitcom by Seth MacFarlane, has Seth Green in it. Two video game developer's have their lives change when dad's move in.

Back In The Game (Sep 25, ABC)
Maggie Lawson from Psych playing an ex-softball player who's now a single mom etc

Welcome To The Family (Oct 3, NBC)
Daughter gets pregnant and married, latino/white culture mix, etc. Single-camera comedy.

The Millers (Sep 26, CBS)
Will Arnett, Beau Bridges....Son gets divorced and then dad gets divorced.

We Are Men (Sep 30, CBS)
Guy gets left at altar and moves into a place where he finds three older divorced friends. Has Kumar in it (Kal Penn)

Mom (Sep 23, CBS)
Obligatory Chuck Lorre sitcom. Anna Farris, recovering alcoholic single mom restarts her life...

The Goldbergs (Sep 24, ABC)
Single-camera comedy set in the 1980s, similar to The Wonder years. Has Jeff Garlin in it.

Trophy Wife (Sep 24, ABC)
Malin Akerman....reformed party girl is getting married.

Surviving Jack (midseason, Fox)
Christopher Meloni, Oscar from The Office is also in this. Set in 1990s, dad takes "unorthodox" approach to raising kids when mom goes to law school.

Sean Saves The World (Oct 3, NBC)
Divorced gay dad's daughter moves in with him full-time. Hey another father show!

Growing Up Fisher (midseason, NBC)
JK Simmons, Jenna Elfman. This is an exact show description I'll just paste:
The family of 11-year-old Henry (Eli Baker) grows closer after his parents divorce and his blind father gets a guide dog named Elvis.

Mixology (midseason, ABC)
Ryan Seacrest production company...."Chronicles the exploits of singles, five guys and five girls, in search of love all over the course of one night. "...this will probably suck.

About A Boy (midseason, NBC)
"Successful songwriter and bachelor Will Freeman lives a carefree life as the "ultimate man-child". His perfect world is turned upside down when single mom Fiona and her 11-year-old son Marcus move in next door." Every sitcom the lead character played by David Walton has had a lead in, has been cancelled within a season or less (three of them between now and 2010). He does however play Jess' doctor ex-boyfriend in New Girl.

Us & Them (midseason, Fox)
US Version of Gavin & Spacey from the UK.

Enlisted (Nov 8, Fox)
A sargeant with experience is stationed in Florida to lead his brothers' dysfunctional squad....it's like Stripes but on TV. Production cost looks high and it'll probably be cancelled especially since it's on Fox.
Undebatable

The Birthday Boys (October 18, IFC)
Sketch comedy with episodes built around a theme. Ben Stiller and Bob Odenkirk are executive producers.

Hello Ladies (Sep 29, HBO)
"A gawky Englishman (Stephen Merchant) comes to Los Angeles to find the woman of his dreams. " - trailer doesn't look funny.

Super Fun Night (Oct 2, ABC)

Rebel Wilson plays crazy fat chick....trailer looks terrible but Conan O'Brien is an executive producer so who knows.

New British sitcoms: Chickens, Big School, Big Bad World, Father Figure, Pat & Cabbage

Last edited by Elever: 09-23-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
SensBrawler

vCash: 500
Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Michael J Fox Show are the ones that I'll probably check out. For the others, I'll probably wait for the reviews.

SensBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:21 PM
EvilCoop
How's Annie?

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBrawler View Post
Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Michael J Fox Show are the ones that I'll probably check out. For the others, I'll probably wait for the reviews.
Pretty much this, though I expect to be disappointed by both.

EvilCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Ozz

We'll be watching The Michael J. Fox Show, The Golbergs (I expect to enjoy this but also that it will be cancelled relatively quickly anyway), Trophy Wife and The Crazy Ones. The latter two are of my GF's interest though they sound like they could be good. I like Robin Williams so that's a plus.

I might check The Millers because of Will Arnett, though if I don't get around to it I won't be too upset.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Elever
Hth

^ The last two Will Arnett sitcoms on public TV, Up All Night and Growing Pains both sucked imo and have been cancelled since. He's a good support actor, not a main character.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
YOUR FEARLESS LEADER
rip bruv/cudi

The Goldbergs actually looks pretty funny, I'll check it out if I have time

YOUR FEARLESS LEADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
^ The last two Will Arnett sitcoms on public TV, Up All Night and Growing Pains both sucked imo and have been cancelled since. He's a good support actor, not a main character.
Agreed. I like him but I don't see this being the right vehicle. Maybe nothing is, as a lead, like you say.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 09:58 PM
17futurecap

I think The Goldbergs could be a nice family comedy for ABC, hope it is funny. Patton Oswalt as the narrator is good enough for me to check out the pilot.

Always like Fox so of course I will check out his show. Brooklyn Nine-Nine will also be a comedy I will check out, probably it for me though.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:50 AM
RayP
Registered Dad

vCash: 50
Very excited for The Goldbergs.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Everlasting

"Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar"

MY GOD

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:58 AM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:

Growing Up Fisher (midseason, NBC)
JK Simmons, Jenna Elfman. This is an exact show description I'll just paste:
The family of 11-year-old Henry (Eli Baker) grows closer after his parents divorce and his blind father gets a guide dog named Elvis.
I'm going to watch this just because of the description lol

Also, maybe I just skimmed but are there a lot of single parent/divorce "comedies" this season or something?

Finally, I want to like Brooklyn 99, but every ad I see just makes it feel too over the top. And I've yet to really see anything + about Dads

Last edited by KaylaJ: 09-10-2013 at 12:05 PM.
KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:22 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
First off, I'm not a big sitcom guy, but I do watch a few.

The only new sitcom I'm geared up for and planning to watch is Brooklyn Nine Nine. The Goldbergs looks promising but I'm guessing it won't get much support.

I wanted Dads to be good because of Seth MacFarlane, Seth Green and Giovanni Ribisi, but the trailer for the show is terrible. And the premise, at least to me, seems completely asinine.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:32 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

I can't see Brooklyn Nine-Nine succeeding imo. Judging just by short previews it looks like one of those cop shows that tries too hard to be goofy that it ends up being just stupid. Just going with my gut on this, time will tell.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
I went to the pilot taping of The Millers...great audience reception, good comedic acting, great cast, lots of buzz, some good jokes...it's going to be a giant hit. It's about as deep as a bathtub, but that's multi-cam sitcoms for you. It felt a lot like Everybody Loves Raymond.

I'm not really looking forward to anything out of this crop. Brooklyn Nine-Nine had me a bit excited because of the people involved, but it's hard to pull off a smarmy cop show and this looks no different. Dads looks like it may even topple The Cleveland Show as MacFarlane's worst. Mom looks atrocious, but it's Chuck Lorre so I'm sure 20 million people will watch it every week regardless. I'm intrigued by The Goldbergs, but my expectations are low.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
We Are Men (Sep 30, CBS)
Guy gets left at altar and moves into a place where he finds three older divorced friends. Has Harold in it (Kal Penn)
Yes, Kumar was the Korean guy.

09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Elever
Hth

When I was looking up descriptions and such for these shows, I was a bit concerned by how many of them are being made by people who've had failing shows recently. Just the same people and same actors over and over again. Maybe some of them like the Michelle Gellar/Robin Williams one will work.

The underdog one that I think will go unnoticed a bit here but do well is the sketch comedy that's gonna be on IFC....has Bob Odenkirk in it and his Mr. Show was considered one of the better modern sketch shows.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Elever
Hth

NBC has released the pilot of Welcome To The Family on their website (or you can watch it here http://filenuke.com/ppmsh17av9fp).

After seeing it, it's not a bad show although it wasn't super funny and had a bit of a predictable feel to it. It's similar to 18 To Life but with more jokes and less likable characters. I think I'll give it a viewing but I don't think the pilot was very strong and lacked the quirks of similar single-camera style comedies. I only got through a bit of The Goldberg's and Back In The Game though and it seems better than those two.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:15 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
pilots for Welcome to the family, back in the game, and trophy wife are all available online now. I'll check them out later.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Wrigley
Stone Crazy

I'll check out Brooklyn, but the last Big 4 network sitcom I liked was Seinfeld.

Damn Right I've Got the Blues
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:06 AM
17futurecap

Just watched The Goldbergs, kind of feels like The Middle, set in the 80's. Not going to be anything like The Wonder Years on an emotional level, will give it a go when the second episode is on.

Now on to Welcome to the Family, meh, not for me, not terrible, more of just a set up for the series. Not really funny though.

Last edited by 17futurecap: 09-11-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old
09-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Miss Mess

I'll have to check out the Robin Williams one. And the Michael J Fox show too

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Just watched The Goldbergs, kind of feels like The Middle, set in the 80's. Not going to be anything like The Wonder Years on an emotional level, will give it a go when the second episode is on.
Though it's not my favourite show, I would say that The Middle is the most underrated sitcom from the past decade and one of the 10 best...it's quite different than this show to me even though it has a similar family structure/dysfunction. The character's on The Middle have their redeeming quality and it's the perfect balance between comedy and being a nice heartwarming show, I'd say that it's one of the very few sitcoms that actually achieves that heart the way that all the 90s and 80s ones used to like Family Ties or The Wonder Years. It along with Raising Hope do a really nice job of capturing middle/lower-middle class family life but it has a broader appeal than Raising Hope.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:08 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Though it's not my favourite show, I would say that The Middle is the most underrated sitcom from the past decade and one of the 10 best...it's quite different than this show to me even though it has a similar family structure/dysfunction. The character's on The Middle have their redeeming quality and it's the perfect balance between comedy and being a nice heartwarming show, I'd say that it's one of the very few sitcoms that actually achieves that heart the way that all the 90s and 80s ones used to like Family Ties or The Wonder Years. It along with Raising Hope do a really nice job of capturing middle/lower-middle class family life but it has a broader appeal than Raising Hope.
Yea, it was probably a lazy comparison by me, especially after one episode. I actually have watched a few Middle episodes this summer, and enjoyed it, probably would check out the whole series if they ever put the seasons on NetFlix Instant streaming.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Elever
Hth

Pilot of We Are Men is online now. It was decent, mostly just setting up the series. The problem though was that it's a plot that's been done before and the comedy wasn't really there. So there was nothing new...the cast is 4 guys mainly but they're kinda average so I don't think it'll last.

Poor Dave Foley had a minor role as the main character's dad which was kinda weird....I still remember him looking like a teenager in oversized suits from NewsRadio.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

Foley needs all the money he can get. He's up to his eyeballs in child support debt.

Free Edler is offline   Reply With Quote