HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Cleary (Sept. 12: Signed With Detroit, 1-year, $1.75M)

Old
09-11-2013, 08:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I must say I enjoy reading some of the comments in this thread about how Hextall should slash Homer for this and how Hextall will be the new GM because of Homer's terrible move here...but then reading the posts in the Gagne thread about how Hextall talked Homer out of Gagne and blah blah blah. Gotta love HF Boards logic.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Gervais certainly isn't a key player now (or expected to be in the future) but losing him for nothing is a waste of an asset (something Homer is more than familiar with) - part of the reason the prospect pool is dismal. Having said that, I fully expect that's exactly what will happen.
How is losing Gervais related to the prospect pool being dismal?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:27 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Gervais certainly isn't a key player now (or expected to be in the future) but losing him for nothing is a waste of an asset (something Homer is more than familiar with) - part of the reason the prospect pool is dismal. Having said that, I fully expect that's exactly what will happen.
Talk about blowing things way out of proportion. Gervais is not an asset by any stretch of the imagination, at least not one that can't be replaced internally. I get on Homer for blowing through assets as much as anyone, but the Flyers could use any of Lauridsen, Alt, Konan, or Manning to replace what Gervais brings to the team.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:31 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I wonder when we are going to see a list of who has been invited to the main camp. I'm curious to see how many of the prospects get to go.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I wonder when we are going to see a list of who has been invited to the main camp. I'm curious to see how many of the prospects get to go.
Camp starts tomorrow, so I'd assume today, right?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I must say I enjoy reading some of the comments in this thread about how Hextall should slash Homer for this and how Hextall will be the new GM because of Homer's terrible move here...but then reading the posts in the Gagne thread about how Hextall talked Homer out of Gagne and blah blah blah. Gotta love HF Boards logic.
Hextall was quoted in an article saying the flyers would be looking to bring in 3 or 4 vets. People on here just blabber off their agendas.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Talk about blowing things way out of proportion. Gervais is not an asset by any stretch of the imagination, at least not one that can't be replaced internally. I get on Homer for blowing through assets as much as anyone, but the Flyers could use any of Lauridsen, Alt, Konan, or Manning to replace what Gervais brings to the team.
Yeah, the only "drawback" to "losing" Gervais would be that a younger guy would likely sit on the bench rather than playing in the AHL. Being that none of these guys really have that high of a ceiling, I don't see it as being an issue. Gervais is fine as a #7 defender occasionally getting #6 minutes, but that is about it. He's not an asset nor would he be missed if traded/released/waived/whatever.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:53 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Yeah, the only "drawback" to "losing" Gervais would be that a younger guy would likely sit on the bench rather than playing in the AHL. Being that none of these guys really have that high of a ceiling, I don't see it as being an issue. Gervais is fine as a #7 defender occasionally getting #6 minutes, but that is about it. He's not an asset nor would he be missed if traded/released/waived/whatever.
Is it really that much of a drawback though? How much are they really going to stunt the development of a guy like Lauridsen if they leave him in the number 7 role if he only projects to be a bottom pair guy anyway?

Old
09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:

It's not a stretch to say that Hextall provided some insight into Gagne and may have dissuaded him from committing. Meltzer made the same conjecture. It's definitely more likely than him not having any say and Homer overriding him with this Cleary signing which is being presented as a "tryout" when it seems to be a given he's gonna be on the team unless his knees are Hatcher-like or worse.... Bynumesque...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 09-11-2013 at 09:40 AM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:32 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

LMAO....Gervais an asset?????? Good one

Old
09-11-2013, 09:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Is it really that much of a drawback though? How much are they really going to stunt the development of a guy like Lauridsen if they leave him in the number 7 role if he only projects to be a bottom pair guy anyway?
That's what I'm saying. It isn't a big deal. That is the only thing people may point to, but it really doesn't do much to harm the franchise in any way. MAYBE, just maybe, Lauridsen only turns out to be a #6 instead of a #5 defenseman because this season he didn't play as much...but that is a pretty big reach. With that said, I don't care what happens with Gervais. If he is #7, great. If he is gone with no return, I don't think that is anything close to "poor asset management."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
It's not a stretch to say that Hextall provided some insight into Gagne and may have dissuaded him from committing. Meltzer made the same conjecture. It's definitely more likely than him not having any say and Homer overriding him with this Cleary signing which is being presented as a "tryout" when it seems to be a given he's gonna be on the team unless his knees are Hatcher-like or worse.... Bynumesque...
Oh I certainly am not saying that Hextall had nothing to do with Gagne. I'm just saying I think it is funny that in the Gagne situation it was Hextall saving the day by telling Homer no, but in the Cleary situation it was all Homer making a gigantic blunder which Hextall had nothing to do with. I don't know if it is the same people making the remarks in the Gagne thread as it is in the Cleary thread, but I just think it is funny to see these positions taken.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Harold Bingo
what

While you guys brought up Gagne, I must say, I still don't get how they think a 34 year old with injury concerns (Cleary) is the better option over a 33 year old with injury concerns (Gagne). I keep hearing that it's because Cleary will play in the dirty areas while Gagne's soft and won't battle. For one I don't think that's completely true of Gagne and two, Gagne is effective even if he's not doing that stuff. No way of knowing but I'd bet if they played the same role next season for the Flyers, Gagne would put up more points than Cleary all while playing just as good if not better defensively.

I know I sound like a Gagne fanboy () but I just want to see them ice the best team possible, and for my money that team should include Gagne over the other options available.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Camp starts tomorrow, so I'd assume today, right?
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Nemec sticks around. They played him a lot in the prospects game. I guess they still want to look at him.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:27 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:

Oh I certainly am not saying that Hextall had nothing to do with Gagne. I'm just saying I think it is funny that in the Gagne situation it was Hextall saving the day by telling Homer no, but in the Cleary situation it was all Homer making a gigantic blunder which Hextall had nothing to do with. I don't know if it is the same people making the remarks in the Gagne thread as it is in the Cleary thread, but I just think it is funny to see these positions taken.
The gigantic blunder argument with Hextall being an innocent bystander definitely lacks logic IMO...

Old
09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. It isn't a big deal. That is the only thing people may point to, but it really doesn't do much to harm the franchise in any way. MAYBE, just maybe, Lauridsen only turns out to be a #6 instead of a #5 defenseman because this season he didn't play as much...but that is a pretty big reach. With that said, I don't care what happens with Gervais. If he is #7, great. If he is gone with no return, I don't think that is anything close to "poor asset management."
Oh, ok. I misread that then. I actually like the idea of keeping Lauridsen as the number 7. It's much easier to plug a stay at home guy into the lineup. With Gervais, you have to pair him with someone that can protect him in the defensive zone, potentially throwing off other pairs with more chemistry.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
The gigantic blunder argument with Hextall being an innocent bystander definitely lacks logic IMO...
Yeah, Hextall wasn't brought in just to sit on the sideline while Homer calls the shots. He definitely had at least some input on this descision, and he even made reference to it a couple of days ago when he said they would be inviting several veterans to camp.

Old
09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post

http://flyers.nhl.com/v2/ext/2013%20...p%20Roster.pdf

No Gags.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:58 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Kris Newbury and Chris VandeVelde are names I had not heard mentioned. Are they on PTO contracts or have they been signed? Neither interest me very much, I just don't remember them being referenced before.

Old
09-11-2013, 12:06 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Kris Newbury and Chris VandeVelde are names I had not heard mentioned. Are they on PTO contracts or have they been signed? Neither interest me very much, I just don't remember them being referenced before.
I think Newbury is on the roster.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Newbury will be a Phantoms vet.
good guy to have around some of the kids in ADK. thats about it tho.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Newbury will be a Phantoms vet.
good guy to have around some of the kids in ADK. thats about it tho.
He adds a good amount of offense as well though to that team. Never hurts to provide some scoring with all the youth we will have playing down there. Hopefully he helps them understand what it takes to make it (although he isn't the best example haha)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Forgot Yann Danis was on the team.
Given his experience in the NHL, think he'll be considered the 3rd goalie option.
Hope not, dont think I remember him being any good...

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:46 PM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Yay??

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 46s

Not exactly sure why, but it appears as if there is some complication between Daniel Cleary and PHI. Told he will not be joining Flyers.

chinatown81592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Now everyone can come back from the ledge....

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote