HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Dan Cleary (Sept. 12: Signed With Detroit, 1-year, $1.75M)

Old
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Well, Holmgren seems to have agreed on my philosophy about Couturier's wing. We already have Read there, so we need somebody physical to compliment them and open space for them. As much as we all love Gagne around here, he's not the player the team needs right now.
Who are the options then? I like McGinn, he plays a physical game and can battle in corners but I think a line of him, Couturier, and Read could struggle offensively.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
Who are the options then? I like McGinn, he plays a physical game and can battle in corners but I think a line of him, Couturier, and Read could struggle offensively.
Well, that or we could try this...

Hartnell/Schenn/Simmonds/McGinn - Couturier - Read

Schenn and McGinn could be the two most likely candidates. Both would probably work well honestly, and truthfully, I don't think a line of McGinn/Couturier/Read would struggle offensively in perspective. They won't rack up 1st line offensive reels, but they'll be perfectly adept in all zones.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Official. What a relief.
Yep, like I stated before,there was no sense in anyone getting upset until after training camp. It is not the first and will not be the last time a player got cold feet about leaving a place where they are most comfortable and changing their mind. Just another case where the media likes to throw crap against the wall and see if it sticks or not. Look what Jimmy Kimmel did to all the news outlets all over the states about the twerking video. . Without really checking the source out they just ran with the story and fueled the fire.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:31 AM
SolidSnakeUS

The Red Wings fans shock of it is glorious . Karma.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Not to nitpick but Cleary would be a well respected vet, i'm sure Wellwood would give up that number for him.

On another note, is Wellwood healed yet from the skate blade injury?
Wellwood is undergoing rehab. The original belief was that he'd be ready around January. I don't know if that has changed.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:34 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Well, that or we could try this...

Hartnell/Schenn/Simmonds/McGinn - Couturier - Read

Schenn and McGinn could be the two most likely candidates. Both would probably work well honestly, and truthfully, I don't think a line of McGinn/Couturier/Read would struggle offensively in perspective. They won't rack up 1st line offensive reels, but they'll be perfectly adept in all zones.
I think this would be true. Hopefully Couturier takes a step forward this season in regards to his offensive game and gains some confidence. Also it would help if Lavi puts him in better offensive situations.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:38 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I don't believe that our 3 year offer is true. There's no was Cleary would leave $8m on the table

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:48 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't believe that our 3 year offer is true. There's no was Cleary would leave $8m on the table
Seriously, players don't turn down that kind of security. I mean, he only got a 1 year deal from Detroit, he's 34, apparently he's slow with bad knees; he may not even get another contract after this.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:49 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Exactly. Why sign for $1.75 and eave a $8 contract on the table with a NTC. I believe it more of a discussion than an offer from Homer.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

If that offer was true, the Flyers have dodged a bullet here. Cleary has had multiple knee surgeries, even though the cap hit wouldn't of carried if he had retired, I don't believe for a second he would of retired with all that money on the table. He would of been another resident at the Lengthy Tropical Island Resort.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
General manager Paul Holmgren said Cleary decided to stay in Detroit because there were able to sign him to a contract for the season, and the Flyers could only really offer a try out contract for now.

“I had a couple conversations with Dan leading up to a couple days ago,” Holmgren said. I knew he wanted to stay in Detroit. He was hanging around there all summer and I’m glad for him that it worked out.”

Holmgren did add that salary cap constraints though were probably the biggest reason Cleary is not a Flyer right now and that if they weren’t up against the cap, there may have been a different outcome.

“Probably yeah, it would have given us a better shot for sure,” Holmgren said.

With Cleary choosing to stay in Detroit, the biggest winner in camp for the Flyers could be Tye McGinn, who could earn that left wing spot with another impressive camp.

One thing that is for certain is the Flyers will not be knocking on Simon Gagne’s door anytime soon.

“We kind of closed that off a few days ago when we decided to make a commitment to Dan,” Holmgren said. “And now I think we’ll stick with what we got.”
Source: Anthony SanFilippo (Flyers' site) -- http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20130 (the Raffl story has been placed in the camp sticky).

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old
09-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
Seriously, players don't turn down that kind of security. I mean, he only got a 1 year deal from Detroit, he's 34, apparently he's slow with bad knees; he may not even get another contract after this.

His next contract will be a dreaded 35+ deal... so it only makes sense that, if he intends to play on after this season, he'd take a three year deal with a NTC over a one year one that would put him at a disadvantage should he seek another contract.

This all tells me that Homer may have offered him a chance to win a job and indicated that a longer deal might be available if he shows he's worth it... and that Detroit eventually handed him a solid contract with no strings attached... and that Dan possibly is considering the option of hanging the skates up if he does appear to slow down too much and finds we can't do what he wants to do.

That said... I fully expect Homer to get grilled for this if Cleary proves to again be a force worthy of a 2M+ multiyear deal... putting Homer in yet another damned if you did and damned if you didn't in hindsight situation.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Flyerfan4life

thx god.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Source: Anthony SanFilippo (Flyers' site)
Thanks for the great memories, Gags.

I was advocating for Gagne before but I'm fine with letting the young guys battle it out.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Source: Anthony SanFilippo (Flyers' site) -- http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20130 (the Raffl story has been placed in the camp sticky).
Thanks for everything Gagne. You will still probably be my favorite Flyer of all time.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

An interesting Tweet from Timmy:

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
Most interesting that Holmgren said he respects Cleary more now for staying in DET. Loyalty.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 12000
I'm very happy with this sudden turn of events. Nonetheless, I'll give you one guess who's wonky old knees Rinaldo will be targeting come October 12. Ridiculously unprofessional from Cleary and his people.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
An interesting Tweet from Timmy:

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
Most interesting that Holmgren said he respects Cleary more now for staying in DET. Loyalty.
Loyalty is a rarity, and for Cleary to do what he did to show he wanted to stay says a lot.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

And this from BroadStreetBull****:

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull
Homer said #Flyers never offered Cleary a three-year deal for $8.25M as some reported. #Flyers #RedWings

Old
09-12-2013, 12:37 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I'm confused. Considering how closely these guys work with the organization, how did they allow this story to get floated and get so conflated?

We're talking guys in the know: Panotch, Toc, etc.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I'm confused. Considering how closely these guys work with the organization, how did they allow this story to get floated and get so conflated?

We're talking guys in the know: Panotch, Toc, etc.
I believe Toc just said they signed Cleary but never went into detail with it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So who do we believe, Homer saying he never made that contract offer, or the original reports about the offer?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I believe Toc just said they signed Cleary but never went into detail with it.
Tocchet cited a "buddy who is a buddy of Cleary" with the original content through Twitter comments.

Edit: exact quote.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So who do we believe, Homer saying he never made that contract offer, or the original reports about the offer?
I don't think Cleary would turn down a guaranteed $8.25 million contract, no matter how much he likes it in Detroit.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:48 PM
daynus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't think Cleary would turn down a guaranteed $8.25 million contract, no matter how much he likes it in Detroit.
exactly. and where did this nonsense of him signing a 3 yr, 8.25m deal with us. and did homer get hammered on. i just sat back, said nuthin, bided my time and now today we read he signed a 1 yr, 1.75M with detroit. now if that is not confusing , i do not know what is.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote