HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Cleary (Sept. 12: Signed With Detroit, 1-year, $1.75M)

Old
09-10-2013, 09:48 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmuffin View Post
Wont be resigning Gagne, won't be rushing Laughton, will get ourselves your ideal 3rd liner... how can you not like this off-season. If Streit had been signed for 1mil and 1y less id be chiseling a Homer statue in my living room!
Our current salary.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:48 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Not a big deal. If he gets outplayed by a young guy next season he'll be AHL bound. It's a NTC not an NMC and as far as cap is concerned who cares we all expected Read to be leave via FA or to be traded anyway, this just ensures that.
Then we will be handicapping ourselves against the cap to the tune of 2 million

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
This also pretty much guarantees that Laughton won't be here this year. **** you Homer.
This is the best part about Cleary coming here. Let Laughton develop more offence in JR, play a big role on Team Canada and not rush the kid.

The contract is pretty silly, but Cleary on the 3rd line with Couts is the perfect winger for him. And people need to come to terms, Read will not be a Flyer next year no matter what, so this signing doesn't change that. Read will get 5 mill plus next year.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:52 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Then we will be handicapping ourselves against the cap to the tune of 2 million
Ok, but only for two yrs with the cap continuing to go up. Yeah it's not ideal but you'd think Homer just signed someone to a 6+ mil per contract for the next 6 yrs.

The Flyers will have a lot of cheap contracts coming through in the next couple yrs. I maintain that it's not a big deal.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Whenever I see Homer, I still think that it applies to Holmstrom.

Anyway, wow. I hope for your sake that Cleary recovers. He was the most frustrating Red Wing to watch last season. He's a warrior, but his body is broken, and his playoff numbers are misleading; only one of the goals was legitimate (the rest bounced off of his body) and I think every single one of his assists was secondary. And these came along with his slow skating, slow puckmoving, and inexplicable boneheadedness.

The guy was an excellent two-way player for a long while, and he's tough as nails, but his body just won't cooperate anymore.

Quote:
I will say this, at least he can retire and we won't eat his salary.

This off-season was going so well, looking forward to seeing Laughton play and now this bag of dog **** happens...

All we can hope is that the numbers are wrong and that 2.75 is the full term price, making it 916K a year.
Cleary is tough. He won't retire.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Fragmuffin

Quote:
Our current salary.
They project the cap to raise to 80mil in 3 years. So i'm not too worried. Mesz will be gone soon (a fan of his, but hey... watcha gonna do), LTIR Pronger + i think that with all these forwards we signed, and all the forwards that are upcoming we are setting the stage to trade Schenn if he does not produce this year.

Fragmuffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmuffin View Post
They project the cap to raise to 80mil in 3 years. So i'm not too worried. Mesz will be gone soon (a fan of his, but hey... watcha gonna do), LTIR Pronger + i think that with all these forwards we signed, and all the forwards that are upcoming we are setting the stage to trade Schenn if he does not produce this year.
Yeah, in 3 years, but also, LTIR Pronger can't be used until the season starts. Mez might be traded but the key word is "might".

Old
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Whenever I see Homer, I still think that it applies to Holmstrom.

Anyway, wow. I hope for your sake that Cleary recovers. He was the most frustrating Red Wing to watch last season. He's a warrior, but his body is broken, and his playoff numbers are misleading; only one of the goals was legitimate (the rest bounced off of his body) and I think every single one of his assists was secondary. And these came along with his slow skating, slow puckmoving, and inexplicable boneheadedness.

The guy was an excellent two-way player for a long while, and he's tough as nails, but his body just won't cooperate anymore.

Cleary is tough. He won't retire.
So they magically don't count? So he scores 10 pts, but none of them really mattered in any way shape or form?

Ok good to know.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
So they magically don't count? So he scores 10 pts, but none of them really mattered in any way shape or form?

Ok good to know.
All i know is wings fans are celebrating this like we celebrated briere and carle being gone. They watched Cleary alottttt more than us and honestly i think people are seeing the old Cleary and not the current.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:04 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Teams wondering about Flyers cap issues with Cleary agreement. Pronger on LTI should clean that up.
Source: Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:05 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Can the Flyers do that even before they play their first game?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:07 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Can the Flyers do that even before they play their first game?
Well the deal won't be announced officially until a month from now. If that's an exact time frame he won't be in the lineup for opening night anyway.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:08 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:

Ok good to know.
Ye olde HF theory: unless it is a snipe, a dangle on a breakaway, or a primary assist, points are stupid and shouldn't count.

09-10-2013, 10:26 AM
captainpaxil

being as the deal cant go into effect until a month from now he is technically still on a pto right? please god let there be some way to cut him Jody shelley 2.o

captainpaxil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
TKB

vCash: 521
Well I won't speak for the contract, and don't know your line-up, but in general the idea of Cleary being on your 3rd line should be a good thing.

I would not pay attention to the reaction on the Wings board to him being gone, I would pay attention to the fact that Babcock and Zetterberg are sorry to see him go.

Crymson's description is accurate but I would take exception to a couple of things: The fact that goals are bouncing off him is a plus, not a negative. That is how playoff goals are often scored and show that he is willing to pay the price to be in front of the net.

Second, I don't know about the rest of his assists, but the OT winner to Filppula, was certainly not a secondary assist.

He is a good (not great) net front/boards guy who is responsible defensively. Can give you pk time if needed and take an occasional face-off.

Again I am not sure of the price tag (and term) or what your other options were, but Dan Cleary is still good (not great) at doing a lot of the little dirty things that need to be done to win hockey games.

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:

Ok good to know.
His first goal went off his body; his second goal went off his body; his third goal was an empty netter (my bad), his fourth goal was set up perfectly for him. His first assist was a simple pass to Filppula, after which the latter did a sweet toe drag and passed the puck through a defender's legs to Nyquist for the goal; his second (his single primary assist) was an easy pass to a defender at the point; his third and fourth were short passes to Zetterberg, who then set up Filppula; his fifth was a short pass to Datsyuk, who then set up Brunner; and his sixth was an easy pass to Zetterberg, who then set up Nyquist.

So yes, very few of his points were due to any particular prowess on his part.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKB View Post
Well I won't speak for the contract, and don't know your line-up, but in general the idea of Cleary being on your 3rd line should be a good thing.

I would not pay attention to the reaction on the Wings board to him being gone, I would pay attention to the fact that Babcock and Zetterberg are sorry to see him go.

Crymson's description is accurate but I would take exception to a couple of things: The fact that goals are bouncing off him is a plus, not a negative. That is how playoff goals are often scored and show that he is willing to pay the price to be in front of the net.

Second, I don't know about the rest of his assists, but the OT winner to Filppula, was certainly not a secondary assist.

He is a good (not great) net front/boards guy who is responsible defensively. Can give you pk time if needed and take an occasional face-off.

Again I am not sure of the price tag (and term) or what your other options were, but Dan Cleary is still good (not great) at doing a lot of the little dirty things that need to be done to win hockey games.
Some positivity from a Wings fan is nice to hear. Thanks for the post.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Hiesenberg

Sam C. @ Inq.
Quote:
Holmgren insisted that Clearly will be at camp on a try-out deal only. No promise of a contract agreement.

......until they find a home for Meszaros.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-10-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Quoted material needs to be posted as such
Old
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Holmgren insisted that Clearly will be at camp on a try-out deal only. No promise of a contract agreement.

You mean before or he just said this?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
His first goal went off his body; his second goal went off his body; his third goal was an empty netter (my bad), his fourth goal was set up perfectly for him. His first assist was a simple pass to Filppula, after which the latter did a sweet toe drag and passed the puck through a defender's legs to Nyquist for the goal; his second (his single primary assist) was an easy pass to a defender at the point; his third and fourth were short passes to Zetterberg, who then set up Filppula; his fifth was a short pass to Datsyuk, who then set up Brunner; and his sixth was an easy pass to Zetterberg, who then set up Nyquist.

So yes, very few of his points were due to any particular prowess on his part.
Only on HF can some points somehow be worth less than others. Of course a lot of Cleary's points came on underwhelming plays, it's because he's a complimentary player who's role is to supplement the more creative offensive players. He wasn't signed to play in a top six role. If he chips in 30-35 points while playing with Couturier and Read on the third line, then this deal will be alright... at least for next year. Years two and three are the ones where Cleary might become redundant, as some of the younger guys could fill that role.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 5m
Homer confirms that Cleary will be here on tryout contract. "But there are no promises" on a deal, he insisted. #flyers

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Sam Carchidi just tweeted this.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 5m
Homer confirms that Cleary will be here on tryout contract. "But there are no promises" on a deal, he insisted. #flyers
Shouldn't that be posted in the main trade thread?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:

wait what?
where did you read this?

i dont know how anyone can defend this deal at all. but knowing the typical folks who defend Holmgren till the bitter end I am not shocked.
You can spin this anyway you want with corsi numbers, this past years playoff numbers. this is a bad contract.
period.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:45 AM
flyershockey

Well that went the other way quickly.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote