HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gamecenter Live or Hockeystreams ?

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Gamecenter Live or Hockeystreams ?

Ok guys, it's almost that time of year. Are any of you guys who got GameCenter Live last season getting it again ? I'm thinking of trying Hockeystreams for a month ($17, they charge $109 for the year as opposed to $150 for GCL). The good thing is, it isn't only the NHL, it's junior hockey as well, and NO blackouts on local games. Anyone ever subscribe to Hockeystreams ? Are they actually legit (for instance, can they eventually get shut down if they aren't sanctioned by those leagues) ? Just wondering what you ladies and gents think.

Old
09-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Ok guys, it's almost that time of year. Are any of you guys who got GameCenter Live last season getting it again ? I'm thinking of trying Hockeystreams for a month ($17, they charge $109 for the year as opposed to $150 for GCL). The good thing is, it isn't only the NHL, it's junior hockey as well, and NO blackouts on local games. Anyone ever subscribe to Hockeystreams ? Are they actually legit (for instance, can they eventually get shut down if they aren't sanctioned by those leagues) ? Just wondering what you ladies and gents think.
I haven't compared the two, but I did Hockeystreams last year and it was worth every penny. Less money for all NHL games and a large portion of other league's games (AHL, juniors, European leagues). I think picture quality is probably rated higher on Game Center, but you sure get more value with Hockeystreams.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:51 PM
DktrFaustus

i care more about quality than quantity. i've found hockeystreams' feeds not much better than the free feeds you can find.

if you use a VPN like proxpn (i think it's $6.25/mo.), you won't have to worry about blackouts. it still sucks that you would have to pay extra, but i'm willing to fork over a little more if i can watch the islanders in HD anywhere that has a good internet connection without paying for cable i won't watch.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
DktrFaustus

minor quibble, but i do really hope GCL fixes the lag this season. i remember there were times i was almost three minutes behind plays last season.

then again, maybe i shouldn't have the forums up when a game is on.

Old
09-09-2013, 08:17 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktrFaustus View Post
minor quibble, but i do really hope GCL fixes the lag this season. i remember there were times i was almost three minutes behind plays last season.

then again, maybe i shouldn't have the forums up when a game is on.
On the main forum, they said the lag on Hockeystreams is way less. I'm really leaning towards trying hockeystreams. Though realistically I don't need it. Unless I wanna watch a lot of junior hockey. Last year got Gamecenter Live because it was only $50 for the year (48 games). Really can't afford the $150 this year, considering I'm gonna see tons of hockey anyway between all 3 local hockey teams, NBC Sports and The NHL Network. Last year it was a luxury because $50 wasn't so hard to afford. I don't really need that luxury really. $17 for a months trial sure isn't as bad as having to fork over $150.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:23 AM
OpAck

I'm also seriously debating on which service to get. I always say though, knowing my luck, hockeystreams would be taken offline the week I sign up. I still wonder how they're able to survive and not get threatened with legal action. Perhaps they have already, but I guess it hasn't gotten to the point where they're forced to shut down. Which is strange, considering so many other sites have come and gone under legal pressure or just by the government shutting them down.

But I know I can sign up in smaller increments and not have to plop down the $109 for a full season. I definitely want to try it and see if it'll work better for me. I've had my share of troubles with GCL. Plus, yes...you CANNOT follow along on Twitter or on HFBoards with GCL. I mean, at one time, there was at least a 2 minute delay in the feed. Ridiculous.

Old
09-10-2013, 01:00 PM
iLandHer

I'll have to cancel my GCL just because of the price, it's outrageous.

With hockey streams, can more than one person be logged in at a time? I'd love the ability to split the cost with someone else.

Old
09-10-2013, 07:33 PM
SouthShore91

Absolutely LOVED Gamecenter last year, but part of that was the price point. That being said, being currently abroad in Australia I'm certainly considering getting it again. Quality was top notch and even when I get home it means I'll be able to watch a ton of hockey. I found myself constantly watching other games either during the intermission or catching part of a West Coast game after the Isles game ended.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
scott99

I got an email today from Gamecenter live, stating I'm eligible for the early bird price of $149.99, and my credit card will be charged $24.99 a month for 6 months on 9/17/13. They won't be able to charge that card because it has expired and I have a new card (I'm just gonna cancel my GCL subscription before they charge me on the 17th). Anyway, like I said earlier, I may just try a month of Hockeystreams instead. I will say this though, I sure will miss the ease of just clicking on those GCL apps on my iPhone, Nexus 7 and my Roku on my TV.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Absolutely LOVED Gamecenter last year, but part of that was the price point. That being said, being currently abroad in Australia I'm certainly considering getting it again. Quality was top notch and even when I get home it means I'll be able to watch a ton of hockey. I found myself constantly watching other games either during the intermission or catching part of a West Coast game after the Isles game ended.
I agree with that. Man I was watching so much hockey, West Coast games, hell one time the Isles were on at 1pm, I watched them on my 46" TV, and watched a different 1pm game on my Nexus 7. Then I watched a West Coast game on my TV via my Roku. Technology is amazing !

Old
09-10-2013, 08:34 PM
leaponover

I'm going with GCL, but I do it on the computer. I've never heard of this $24.99 a month or $149.99. I pay $19.99 a month and it's great. I'm in Korea so I don't have to worry about blackouts. Only problem is there always seems to be a problem with the cookies or something and there is no way to get to the game without seeing the score. I have to try to blur my vision and remember where to click just so I don't see the score. I shut scores off but it only lasts while i'm on the site, once I leave and come back the scores are all there again. It's my only gripe. Other than that picture quality is always top notch.

I don't know much about hockeystreams but I have no qualms since quality is most important and I just watch the Isles. So i'll be a subscriber again...not to mention I can watch on my tablet or phone with zero issues.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:56 PM
mark24

I'm in Canada and I'm personally trying to make the choice between Gamecenter live and center ice. I've been a center ice subscriber for a few years but have always wondered if Gamecenter live is the better product? Leaning towards Gamecenter live and then I get thrown a knuckle puck with the mention of hockeystreams. First I've heard of this one, how reliable of a product is it?, how do I get more info about it and does it function properly in Canada?
I'd like any and all input of people's preference of these three products if it's possible and it would be greatly appreciated.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Terryble

I've just begun trying to cut the cord from the cable company. I'm leaning towards Hockeystreams. Some of the reasons: lack of blackouts, price, the 1 year subscription is for a whole calendar year not just the NHL season and coverage of other leagues. On the HS website there is a page that compares their package with NHL GCL.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:38 PM
DktrFaustus

wow, i've only used hockeystreams back in '09 and i think the max bitrate was 1600. was it really up to 3500 last season or is that new?

Old
09-11-2013, 01:21 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryble View Post
I've just begun trying to cut the cord from the cable company. I'm leaning towards Hockeystreams. Some of the reasons: lack of blackouts, price, the 1 year subscription is for a whole calendar year not just the NHL season and coverage of other leagues. On the HS website there is a page that compares their package with NHL GCL.
That page was insightful, so thank you! Just wondering if more than one person can be logged on at a time, that'd probably be the only thing that would persuade me to get it :/

Old
09-11-2013, 03:11 AM
leaponover

I got curious and did some research and 9/10 sites I visited mentioned that they only go to hockeystreams because of the blackouts on NHL gamecenter, but gamecenter is much more dependable and much better quality as well as better customer service. So just to let folks know it appears you get what you pay for and NHL gamecenter i still the highest quality offering...hence the cost. I don't have to worry about blackouts so i'm just going to stick with gamecenter. Or center ice online, whatever they are calling it these days.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:11 AM
luki here

I just watched the demo video on hockeystreams and i think gamecenter has better picture quality. The player also offers better functionality.

However the added junior and ahl games are very attractive (as well as being able to watch olympics on hockeystreams this year). I think i will wait to see wether strome and nelson play in bridgeport this year or not, and base my decision on that.

I definetly decided not to renew the neulion ahl bridgeport package which is more expensive than the nhl package (for all teams). Absurd really, when you consider how bad service, picture quality and announcers are compared to the nhl product.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:01 AM
blitzkriegs

Hockeystreams does not appear to be a licensed NHL product...just saying.

Those deciding between GCL and CI.v go with GCL. You get a bunch of content on the App that's not on CI. Moreover, grab Apple TV and its on there for TV viewing,

Old
09-11-2013, 09:03 AM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

I do GCL because I live in DC and Comcast has yet to upgrade HD for Center Ice. GCL is in internet streaming HD which is not bad. the only problem with GCL is the ps3 version buffers occasionally but my apple tv version in the bedroom doesn't buffer. Plus gcl lets you choose your home team feed. Comcast Center ice does not at least for me.

Old
09-11-2013, 12:37 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post

Those deciding between GCL and CI.v go with GCL. You get a bunch of content on the App that's not on CI. Moreover, grab Apple TV and its on there for TV viewing,
There is also the option of using a PS3 or Xbox360 in order to stream the games to your television with GCL.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:23 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
There is also the option of using a PS3 or Xbox360 in order to stream the games to your television with GCL.
I'm gonna try a game on my Roku this weekend before I decide which one I'm gonna get. The AHL and Junior Hockey option is really calling to me though.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post

You can also watch GCL on TV through your X-Box 360/PS3 which is nice, and really IMO blows CI out of the water. Not to mention the ipad interface is smooth, and it looks great on the iPhone. I can't renew it fast enough.

Hockeystreams is technically illegal, isnt it?

Last edited by IceAce: 09-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 03:21 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
You can also watch GCL on TV through your X-Box 360/PS3 which is nice, and really IMO blows CI out of the water. Not to mention the ipad interface is smooth, and it looks great on the iPhone. I can't renew it fast enough.

Hockeystreams is technically illegal, isnt it?
can you watch on-demand, archived games on GCL through apple TV? how soon after the end of the game?

I'm playing hockey a few nights a week this year and I'll want to catch games immediately after. Also, really hate watching Isles games (all sports) in SD. Does GCL stream in HD with any regularity? or are they limited to whatever the broadcast is?

I don't see how Hockeystreams can broadcast in HD if GCL does not.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:38 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
can you watch on-demand, archived games on GCL through apple TV? how soon after the end of the game?

I'm playing hockey a few nights a week this year and I'll want to catch games immediately after. Also, really hate watching Isles games (all sports) in SD. Does GCL stream in HD with any regularity? or are they limited to whatever the broadcast is?

I've never experienced a game not being in HD with GCL (with a good internet connection). I'm out of the NY area so I watched all 48 games last year with it.

I don't have apple tv so I couldn't comment on that aspect for you.

However, I am fascinated with the idea of getting a roku as a replacement for cable.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
can you watch on-demand, archived games on GCL through apple TV? how soon after the end of the game?I'm playing hockey a few nights a week this year and I'll want to catch games immediately after. Also, really hate watching Isles games (all sports) in SD. Does GCL stream in HD with any regularity? or are they limited to whatever the broadcast is?

You should be able to, I used to watch Islander's games a day or two later on my Roku (similar to apple tv). It might be a couple of hours after the game before it's archived though.

Closed Thread