HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder pad Junior Small with wider openning?

Old
08-28-2013, 03:26 PM
pix530

vCash: 500
Shoulder pad Junior Small with wider openning?

My son is 7.5 years old, but his head is big for his age. Currently his helmet is Adult Medium and close to Adult Large.

So he has Easton EQ10 shoulder pads size Youth Medium and we like those light weight pads for his home team games, but he needs bigger size such as Junior Small and 2 more reasons: his head is too big so it is not easy and painful to put it on. Second, he plays sometimes with bigger kids and here level of contact is much higher and he had some punches from others sticks etc.

So we are looking to buy Junior Small new shoulder pads. The issue is still head space.

Can you please advise which brands/models would have wider space for his head?

I will order online so want to make sure it fits well...

From brand preference: Warrior is his best choice. Bauer comes next. Reebok, CCM and Easton on third place.

Any particular models/recommendations?

I tried to google this head spacing concern related to shoulder pads and found nothing...

pix530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 07:58 AM
redbranch

You might avoid the issue altogether by getting Easton Mako shoulder pads. They don't go over the head to get put on. They open and close in the front

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...ako-m3-jr.html

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:15 AM
jsykes

Yup, Mako was going to be my suggestion.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 09:56 PM
sxHarr05

If not the Mako, Bauer seems to have a larger opening. My kid also has a bigger noggin and the different Bauer shoulders we tried all fit.

sxHarr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 02:27 PM
pix530

redbranch, Great advise thank you! Never seen such type of shoulder pads before...

sxHarr05, Can you give me a sizing idea? We tried Jr L TotalOne and I am concerned if this is too big for him? Opening was big enough...

His stats: 4'4", 75lbs, chest 28"

As far as I can see he should be Jr Small by Bauer. But here I am afraid again about open space )

Old
09-06-2013, 01:01 PM
pix530

Ordered Mako shoulder pads, tried Bauer TotalOne and CCM CL. Mako he prefers the best )

Old
09-09-2013, 03:13 PM
redbranch

glad it worked out!
Yeah, the mako shoulder pads are unique, and not right for everyone. My son who has a big head, didn't like them at all. Probably because he also has big shoulders and he's broad too

Even though I'm a beginner player, my inner nerd demands I exhaustively research the gear and technology behind it. It's nice when it comes in handy helping someone

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:28 PM
pix530

redbranch, Thank you!

We started this season in Mako, so its too early to have solid conclusions. So far he likes it, and it fits well with his pants, covering all parts.

I was so busy ( so we missed first unofficial games with older kids, where level of play, checking and mess is much higher, and where higher protection itself is required.

At his club level I still believe any shoulder pads would work, they play soft kind of hockey...