HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Psychoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
So Eakins doesn't want anyone to divide the team with Young vs Old, but he wants to divide the team by Vet's and Non-vets? And since Eberle is not on the line with Hall I would assume it is Eberle who is not the Vet. My head is literally going to explode.

I honestly hope it does, this is what u get for stressing out on DAY 1 OF TRAINING CAMP.

i hope he puts boyd gordon with andrew ference and ben eager on the first line so your head explodes

Old
09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's incredible is how people don't realize that the Oilers are split into three groups right now. There is no line 1-2-3-4
What nonsense.

There's plenty of ways to put together a scoring line, he currently has no servicable lines of any kind. It's ignorance about the players and what they're capable or 'responsible veteran' idiocy.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Is this the right thread? no updates on TC or anything?

I attended the last session. I'll start the ball rolling.

Omark: looks much different, definitely improved shot, ringing pucks off post for fun. Showed me a lot today. Working hard out there, communicating, looking consistently good on line rushes. Stayed out after to work more (is this the same guy)? But seriously Omark looks more like what people would want him to look like so far. At least working hard out there and not goofing around like he has a lot in previous TC's.

Yak. Not really bringing it today, not leaning into anything and not unleashing the wicked shot too many times.No big deal and not worried. He did load up the cannon occasionally but when Yak gets it going you think he's going to break things with his shot. Like boards or posts.. Stayed out after practice to give the goalies some shooting practice. Nice to see a star play making the extra effort.

Gordon: Looked really good, better hands than thought, and was greasy in the play and sniped a few goals today on line rushes. Looked impressive both ends of the ice and looked like he could own anybody on the ice. Physically dominating just leaning on guys out there.

N Schultz. Didn't distinguish in any particular way. TBH looked awkward out there and not any flow yet. Not physical, not great positioning.

Grebs looked like we remember. Good wheels, waterbug.

Roy,. People won't like this but the ENTIRE time I was there the kid didn't pop one goal on a line rush, drill, or even taking shots. He was missing several shots high and wide after stuffing several right into pads. The guy had nothing today, no jam, no fight, not digging in corners druing semi scrimmages, trouble executing even passes on line rushes and was a skating bag of nerves. Didn't look confident, tbh looked like he wanted to hide after awhile.

So here goes a comment. Marco Roy, a guy that takes shot after shot in prospects over 4 games and doesn't finish anything spends all day on the ice today again not finishing anything. So this is interesting. While accomplished guys like Yak and Omark and Gordon are out there with everybody else taking shots and continuing to practice Roy is seen skating aimlessly around center ice handling a puck for 5 mins. Didn't take one shot, didn't pass the puck once, it was as if he was killing time and thought it would bad if he out and out left the ice while coaches were still lurking.
. AT this exact time Yakupov, with the best shot on the club is firing 25 pucks in succession multiple times, practicing one on one for a longtime and little Roy skates around a bit more in center ice aimlessly and then is among the first players to leave the ice. As soon as one player left the ice he apparently felt he had permission. I should mention every other prospect(except one) was still on ice actually taking part. There was no indication Roy was hurt in any way.

To wit this is a guy with stone cold hands that isn't feeling it, isn't showing any kind of shot whatsoever today, doesn't have any confidence today, and he's not out there working it? I don't get it.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I feel I shouldn't have to point out that line combos at DAY ONE of training camp will not resemble anything we'll see opening day.
Apparently you do... Probably more than once

Old
09-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Dan Tencer
Dallas Eakins confirms that Oilers are following concussion protocol with Oscar Klefbom after he got elbowed in head on Tuesday night. Hopefully the concussion for Klefbom is as "mild" as possible. Tough start after missing most of last year with shoulder injury. It was Levko Koper of the Golden Bears who elbowed Klefbom. Reminds me of Tulipov on Eager a couple years ago. Was a big setback for Ben...
This would be beyond terrible.

Klefbom did not look good in the rookie tourney no matter how much people want to say it means nothing.

Losing as much development as he has and throw in a concussion to boot... Terrible. I don't think you could even optimistically say he will ever end up a top pairing D man if his career gets too much more derailed.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:25 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
To wit this is a guy with stone cold hands that isn't feeling it, isn't showing any kind of shot whatsoever today, and he's not out there worming it? I don't get it.
You don't get why a kid on day one of his first NHL training camp wouldn't be ' feeling it' on the ice?

Seems like an easy thing to 'get' to me.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Funny it out it took til today to find out about Klefbom.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Apparently you do... Probably more than once
Cept day 1 training camp line combos are often the lines we see through preseason and represent the machinations of the coaches during the summer.

Or are you forgetting Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky, Hall-Horcoff-Eberle, Torres-Stoll-Nilsson and countless other line combos that have been installed on Day 1 with the intention of exploring them into the regular season.

Not that I think those awful lines will make it, but that's because they're horrible and the preseason games will be awful enough that he'll be forced to make changes.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:28 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
This would be beyond terrible.

Klefbom did not look good in the rookie tourney no matter how much people want to say it means nothing.

Losing as much development as he has and throw in a concussion to boot... Terrible. I don't think you could even optimistically say he will ever end up a top pairing D man if his career gets too much more derailed.
Ya, well, Just hope it is a very minor concussion. The fact that he played after that, actually had a very good shift after that, means it could'tn be major. Still even a minor concussion is more than I want to see at this point.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
You don't get why a kid on day one of his first NHL training camp wouldn't be ' feeling it' on the ice?

Seems like an easy thing to 'get' to me.
That part is. maybe the kid is rattled. Maybe he's snakebit. But when that happens you practice your shot, a lot. There was no excuce that I know of for not doing that. Theres plenty of excuse for feeling overwhelmed DURING an NHL practice. Doesn't stop a guy from making an acceptable effort at end and after practice as everybody else on ice was parcitipating in shooting drills. He didn't for whatever reason, while everybody else was shooting pucks.

Looked odd.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
FFS. This is the same type of old-guard thinking that got half the veteran coaches in the league ushered out.

The term 'veteran' couldn't possibly mean less where Smyth is concerned. Nobody makes more dumb decisions on the team than Ryan Smyth. Eberle is way smarter, way less mistake prone. He can actually skate, too, which you think might be important considering how much of Hall's game is speed based.

I mean, there's no way in hell that's a line to start the season anyway, because it won't succeed against AHL line-ups.
I don't know what games you were watching last year.

I watched every single one.

Eberle had a tough year and made many more mistakes than the previous year. Was rather pitiful at times on the back check. Generally speaking Eberle is incredibly smart offensively but I would never say he has a strong two way game.

Smyth was slow. Very very very slow. Always has had weak offensive instincts. Great hand eye and the grit to get to the net and score but terrible offensive tools (pass/shot). But even as bad as he was there is no doubt Smyth had fewer mistakes defensively than Eberle last year.

Think you may have the blinders up a bit on Eberle and a very sharp pitchfork out for Smyth.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:32 PM
dnicks17

You have to keep in mind that Roy was mainly drafted because of his skating/effort/two-way play. His offensive game only starting blossoming this year. He's still probably figuring out how to use his shot and hands.

But yeah, I agree, it's a little weird he wouldn't be working on his shot there.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Cept day 1 training camp line combos are often the lines we see through preseason and represent the machinations of the coaches during the summer.

Or are you forgetting Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky, Hall-Horcoff-Eberle, Torres-Stoll-Nilsson and countless other line combos that have been installed on Day 1 with the intention of exploring them into the regular season.

Not that I think those awful lines will make it, but that's because they're horrible and the preseason games will be awful enough that he'll be forced to make changes.
Keep in mind we have split squad first set of games in pre-season.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's incredible is how people don't realize that the Oilers are split into three groups right now. There is no line 1-2-3-4
What's the point of wasting time with line combinations in scrimmages and drills if you have no intention of using them in games?

No team does that, because they understand it is a waste of time.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 09-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old
09-12-2013, 05:34 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
I honestly hope it does, this is what u get for stressing out on DAY 1 OF TRAINING CAMP.

i hope he puts boyd gordon with andrew ference and ben eager on the first line so your head explodes
My head is exploding not over the line combinations, but over his apparent division of the team into Vets and Non-vets which is only slightly different than dividing the team by young and old. Something which he asked the entire media not to do.

In training camp he can pair Dubnyk with Hall on the first line for all I care. It's the hypocrisy that is going to make my head explode.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
FFS. This is the same type of old-guard thinking that got half the veteran coaches in the league ushered out.

The term 'veteran' couldn't possibly mean less where Smyth is concerned. Nobody makes more dumb decisions on the team than Ryan Smyth. Eberle is way smarter, way less mistake prone. He can actually skate, too, which you think might be important considering how much of Hall's game is speed based.

I mean, there's no way in hell that's a line to start the season anyway, because it won't succeed against AHL line-ups.
You must be watcing a different club. Smyth is actually used on the pk, and Eberle is the least likely forward on this club to get back to ownzone in time. Historically has high GA while consistently playing with some of the best players on this club.

Eberle makes positional bad reads on basically every shift and cheats deep as a rule whether opponent breakout possibility is there or not . Eberle doesn't even pick his spots. Rarely peels back when puck possession is unlikely.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I don't know what games you were watching last year.

I watched every single one.

Eberle had a tough year and made many more mistakes than the previous year. Was rather pitiful at times on the back check. Generally speaking Eberle is incredibly smart offensively but I would never say he has a strong two way game.

Smyth was slow. Very very very slow. Always has had weak offensive instincts. Great hand eye and the grit to get to the net and score but terrible offensive tools (pass/shot). But even as bad as he was there is no doubt Smyth had fewer mistakes defensively than Eberle last year.

Think you may have the blinders up a bit on Eberle and a very sharp pitchfork out for Smyth.
I mean... Ryan Smyth is a bad hockey player at the NHL level. There's no getting around it, he can't skate and he's a dumb as a box of rocks. He can't pass, he has no actual puck retreival skill and he took an absurd amount of bad penalties - in the softest, most limited minutes.

He's not a veteran in any reliable sense. He's not a third liner in any reliable sense. If you think Smyth should play with Hall, you have no business being involved with the Oilers team IMO.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:44 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
You must be watcing a different club. Smyth is actually used on the pk, and Eberle is the least likely forward on this club to get back to ownzone in time. Historically has high GA while consistently playing with some of the best players on this club.

Eberle makes positional bad reads on basically every shift and cheats deep as a rule whether opponent breakout possibility is there or not . Eberle doesn't even pick his spots. Rarely peels back when puck possession is unlikely.
Best Corsi on the team, one of the best five foot passers in the league, far more likely to be a plus player this year than Ryan Smyth because he'll actually do something positive with his icetime - where as the best we can hope for Ryan Smyth is fewer O-zone penalties (because he's too slow to keep up and too stupid not to stick the guy who's transitioning with the puck).

Old
09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Is this the right thread? no updates on TC or anything?

I attended the last session. I'll start the ball rolling.

Omark: looks much different, definitely improved shot, ringing pucks off post for fun. Showed me a lot today. Working hard out there, communicating, looking consistently good on line rushes. Stayed out after to work more (is this the same guy)? But seriously Omark looks more like what people would want him to look like so far. At least working hard out there and not goofing around like he has a lot in previous TC's.

Yak. Not really bringing it today, not leaning into anything and not unleashing the wicked shot too many times.No big deal and not worried. He did load up the cannon occasionally but when Yak gets it going you think he's going to break things with his shot. Like boards or posts.. Stayed out after practice to give the goalies some shooting practice. Nice to see a star play making the extra effort.

Gordon: Looked really good, better hands than thought, and was greasy in the play and sniped a few goals today on line rushes. Looked impressive both ends of the ice and looked like he could own anybody on the ice. Physically dominating just leaning on guys out there.

N Schultz. Didn't distinguish in any particular way. TBH looked awkward out there and not any flow yet. Not physical, not great positioning.

Grebs looked like we remember. Good wheels, waterbug.

Roy,. People won't like this but the ENTIRE time I was there the kid didn't pop one goal on a line rush, drill, or even taking shots. He was missing several shots high and wide after stuffing several right into pads. The guy had nothing today, no jam, no fight, not digging in corners druing semi scrimmages, trouble executing even passes on line rushes and was a skating bag of nerves. Didn't look confident, tbh looked like he wanted to hide after awhile.

So here goes a comment. Marco Roy, a guy that takes shot after shot in prospects over 4 games and doesn't finish anything spends all day on the ice today again not finishing anything. So this is interesting. While accomplished guys like Yak and Omark and Gordon are out there with everybody else taking shots and continuing to practice Roy is seen skating aimlessly around center ice handling a puck for 5 mins. Didn't take one shot, didn't pass the puck once, it was as if he was killing time and thought it would bad if he out and out left the ice while coaches were still lurking.
. AT this exact time Yakupov, with the best shot on the club is firing 25 pucks in succession multiple times, practicing one on one for a longtime and little Roy skates around a bit more in center ice aimlessly and then is among the first players to leave the ice. As soon as one player left the ice he apparently felt he had permission. I should mention every other prospect(except one) was still on ice actually taking part. There was no indication Roy was hurt in any way.

To wit this is a guy with stone cold hands that isn't feeling it, isn't showing any kind of shot whatsoever today, doesn't have any confidence today, and he's not out there working it? I don't get it.
I would encourage people to ignore your rantings on Roy. After all, you trashed him throughout the Young Stars tournament, but Hockey Canada, who was watching the same games you were, added him to their list of prospects for the Canadian Junior team, along with Nurse.

His shot and finish aren't that great - we all saw that - but his playmaking, puckhandling, skating, and defence are superb, and if he makes the Canadian Junior team, it will be on that basis (a checking or 2 way center).

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 09-12-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
doulos

Oh no, our 56th overall pick isn't scoring on line drills. What a bust. I am seriously laughing at my desk right now. This thread is top quality entertainment.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Best Corsi on the team, one of the best five foot passers in the league, far more likely to be a plus player this year than Ryan Smyth because he'll actually do something positive with his icetime - where as the best we can hope for Ryan Smyth is fewer O-zone penalties (because he's too slow to keep up and too stupid not to stick the guy who's transitioning with the puck).
Corsi, lol. Not even going to go there.

Don't disagree Eberle is loaded with offensive skills, good short passer, good in tight. He's been fairly hopeless in looking after both ends of the ice.

He's one of the players on this club that consistently cheats up offensively. On a team chronically losing. Its gotta change and he and, others have to play more of a balanced game.

Smyth was useless year. My honest theory? A vet player that assumed there would be no agreement, and no season last year and got caught taking a year off and out of shape. Not good, and no excuse but he had no gas in the tank last year. If he took this offseason seriously he'll be better.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:56 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Dan Tencer
Dallas Eakins confirms that Oilers are following concussion protocol with Oscar Klefbom after he got elbowed in head on Tuesday night. Hopefully the concussion for Klefbom is as "mild" as possible. Tough start after missing most of last year with shoulder injury. It was Levko Koper of the Golden Bears who elbowed Klefbom. Reminds me of Tulipov on Eager a couple years ago. Was a big setback for Ben...
wow... the kid can't catch a break.

This is awful news.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:57 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
wow... the kid can't catch a break.

This is awful news.
For the record following concussion protocol doens't mean he has a concussion. Just that it was possible.

Any way, just hope it is nothing. what else can you do. Would really suck to see him miss significant time.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I would encourage people to ignore your rantings on Roy. After all, you trashed him throughout the Young Stars tournament, but Hockey Canada, who was watching the same games you were, added them to their list of prospects for the Canadian Junior team, along with Nurse.

His shot and finish aren't that great - we all saw that - but his playmaking, puckhandling, skating, and defence are superb, and if he makes the Canadian Junior team, it will be on that basis (a checking or 2 way center).
Guy has no shot whatsoever, at least we can agree on that. To say his playmaking is "superb" is laughable. On what basis are you stating that? From Grainy images on poor streamed games that are hard to see exactly whats going on?

"Defence is superb" never seen any indication of that so far. -6 in 4GP.

Anyway, heres the analysis that went on in every game;

"Roy feathers a great pass across and somebody flubs it" With the assumption always being somebody flubs it. With it never being questioned that the passes may not be so great either. This was not exactly a prolific point getter. Around 43 in QMJHL in pts, and 3rd on his club as I recall.

Not sure where this notion has come from that this is a uber talented offensive player. He managed to be around PPG in high scoring QMJHL while playing with some pretty decent players in a fairly watered down league.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
blackwater

Quote:
Corsi, lol. Not even going to go there.

Don't disagree Eberle is loaded with offensive skills, good short passer, good in tight. He's been fairly hopeless in looking after both ends of the ice.

He's one of the players on this club that consistently cheats up offensively. On a team chronically losing. Its gotta change and he and, others have to play more of a balanced game.

Smyth was useless year. My honest theory? A vet player that assumed there would be no agreement, and no season last year and got caught taking a year off and out of shape. Not good, and no excuse but he had no gas in the tank last year. If he took this offseason seriously he'll be better.
I have to agree with you. Seems his issues last year had more to do with conditioning than an actual loss of skill. Plus, this idea that Ryan smyth is a bad passer with no hockey IQ, is ridiculous. He is and always has been an extremely underrated playmaker, and his ability around the net is a natural talent that has everything to do with being hockey smart, reading the play, reading rebounds, anticipating goalie movements ect. Ill agree he's lost a step, but he's not as bad as last season would indicate, and as replacement said, with an entire offseason to train, hopefully we see an improved smyth this year.

Closed Thread