HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 06:09 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
The man's got a clapper from the sideboards like nobody's business too.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
If we're talking about placing bets then you have the best odds of winning the money. The chances of a 2nd rounder making the NHL are incredibly low no matter how you look at it.

It's just tough when 99% of us see some positive things happening with him, and then you come along and slag the crap out of Roy every chance you can.

Is it to try and be the lone voice in the wilderness? Maybe. Maybe there is a desire to try and overcompensate for the flood of people who are excited about what they saw in the young guy - a young guy who wasn't drafted #1 overall for a change.

Yeah ... long odds for Roy, and you've made some good points as to why you don't agree. Fair enough. Maybe it would be nice if you didn't have to point out your contrarian view any time a single person has something good to say about the guy though, that's all.
Fair points and not far from the truth. tbh my reaction probably has a lot to do with a lot of people in the GDT going on and on about this guy despite that he wasn't doing anything and was a minus player in every game. I'm never very swayed by players that just look "busy". It isn't enough, not nearly, and this isn't anything close to an AHL player, which we agree, but several people in the threads were talking up Roy like he was the best forward in the prospects tournament.

Roy does seem to have a lot of people behind him. I honestly don't get it.

Good if I'm wrong.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Fair points and not far from the truth. tbh my reaction probably has a lot to do with a lot of people in the GDT going on and on about this guy despite that he wasn't doing anything and was a minus player in every game. I'm never very swayed by players that just look "busy". It isn't enough, not nearly, and this isn't anything close to an AHL player, which we agree, but several people in the threads were talking up Roy like he was the best forward in the prospects tournament.

Roy does seem to have a lot of people behind him. I honestly don't get it.

Good if I'm wrong.
I find myself disagreeing with your supposed "pessimism" pretty frequently and pretty strongly.

I also find myself being incorrect most of the time.

Brule
Penner
Some of the OHL guys
Omark
Neilson
Schremp

At what point do stop being blindly optimistic and take your dose of realism for what it is? My point is about now.

Roy didn't produce. That is a fact. He's a long shot, that is a fact. If saw him good/busy was a testimony toward a players ability Cogs and Neilson would still be here.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I agree with the others. Your obsession with knocking down this player is odd to say the least.
I don't think he has been as great as some posters think he has been but your constant vitrol towards this kid is completely unfair and screams of some ridiculous agenda just to be a contrarian.
First of all try to understand the frustration of being an Edmonton sports fan.

Edmonton Eskimos have missed the playoffs most years, have been a pretty awful club since 2005, and are 1-9 as we speak. They haven't won a home contest all year.

The Oilers as we know have been horrible and missing the playoffs every year since 2006.

horrible right?

Next, the prospects getting flushed right down the toilet and losing 4 straight games and not showing much of anything in the process. Not even entertainment. The PP was beyond abysmal with Roy spending much time on it, the team doesn't match up well in any of the games. gets outplayed badly during the games, has a popgun offense and with Roy and Miller the alleged leaders in that offense. meanwhile everybody waxing on about how great Roy is playing and I'm sitting there watching some pretty horrible hockey to boot. After all the other horrible Edmonton teams of late.
To add frustration a player I like, Ringrose, plays better than any Oiler prospect has in any game, scores 3 goals, 4pts, and single handedly kicks the stuffing out of the oilers prospects.

ON a positive note after noting how putrid the Oiler prospects were I was hoping the Golden Bears would bag the win.

Its frustration, its been a long frustrating sports year, hoping for better..

looking at small positives isn't really in my fan vocabulary right at the moment.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
I find myself disagreeing with your supposed "pessimism" pretty frequently and pretty strongly.

Brule
Penner
Some of the OHL guys
Omark
Neilson
Schremp

At what point do stop being blindly optimistic and take your dose of realism for what it is? My point is about now.

Roy didn't produce. That is a fact. He's a long shot, that is a fact. If saw him good/busy was a testimony toward a players ability Cogs and Neilson would still be here.
Damn good stuff grasshopper.

Thanks for the one fair acknowledgement.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
First of all try to understand the frustration of being an Edmonton sports fan.

Edmonton Eskimos have missed the playoffs most years, have been a pretty awful club since 2005, and are 1-9 as we speak. They haven't won a home contest all year.

The Oilers as we know have been horrible and missing the playoffs every year since 2006.

horrible right?

Next, the prospects getting flushed right down the toilet and losing 4 straight games and not showing much of anything in the process. Not even entertainment. The PP was beyond abysmal with Roy spending much time on it, the team doesn't match up well in any of the games. gets outplayed badly during the games, has a popgun offense and with Roy and Miller the alleged leaders in that offense. meanwhile everybody waxing on about how great Roy is playing and I'm sitting there watching some pretty horrible hockey to boot. After all the other horrible Edmonton teams of late.
To add frustration a player I like, Ringrose, plays better than any Oiler prospect has in any game, scores 3 goals, 4pts, and single handedly kicks the stuffing out of the oilers prospects.

ON a positive note after noting how putrid the Oiler prospects were I was hoping the Golden Bears would bag the win.

Its frustration, its been a long frustrating sports year, hoping for better..

looking at small positives isn't really in my fan vocabulary right at the moment.
I think we all share your frustrations with all the losing but that doesn't mean that you should go out of your way to trash this prospect just because a bunch of posters were pleased with his performance.

I do agree with you in the sense that i didn't think Roy was all that great in these games. I think some were enamoured with his skilled play because there was an alarming lack of skill amongst the other forwards and him standing out amongst a bunch of plugs probably made him look better than he really was.

With all that being said, Roy does have a nice skillset and i can see why there is some excitement about him.
The problem is that you're taking such an extreme so far from what everyone else is seeing that it looks like you're just trying to stir **** up just for the sake of it.
Also, you're comparing Ringrose who is a 25 year old pro to a bunch of 18-20 year olds. Not quite fair, don't you think?

Old
09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The man's got a clapper from the sideboards like nobody's business too.
Went back a couple of pages, hoping you were talking about one of our rookies. Then I realized you were talking about Smyth.

Old
09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

If you guys want to keep talking about Roy exclusively, can you take it to the prospect thread please?

Old
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think we all share your frustrations with all the losing but that doesn't mean that you should go out of your way to trash this prospect just because a bunch of posters were pleased with his performance.

I do agree with you in the sense that i didn't think Roy was all that great in these games. I think some were enamoured with his skilled play because there was an alarming lack of skill amongst the other forwards and him standing out amongst a bunch of plugs probably made him look better than he really was.

With all that being said, Roy does have a nice skillset and i can see why there is some excitement about him.
The problem is that you're taking such an extreme so far from what everyone else is seeing that it looks like you're just trying to stir **** up just for the sake of it.
Also, you're comparing Ringrose who is a 25 year old pro to a bunch of 18-20 year olds. Not quite fair, don't you think?
The bolded is fair and pretty much describes the reaction. When all I'm seeing is a horrible offense, no PP to speak of, limited puck possession at any time, I'm hardpressed to look at the small chestnut under the tree and think Merry Christmas.
more to the point though is Roy was expected to be one of the bright shining lights on what was a drab dismal tree..

I have trouble with the silver linings thing..

Old
09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If you guys want to keep talking about Roy exclusively, can you take it to the prospect thread please?
keeping in mind I'm the only poster in the thread that actually bothered doing a several player camp rundown.

Wheres everybody else day at camp reports?

thanks

Old
09-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
keeping in mind I'm the only poster in the thread that actually bothered doing a several player camp rundown.

thanks
A very detailed play by play report on another site.

Old
09-12-2013, 07:04 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Damn good stuff grasshopper.

Thanks for the one fair acknowledgement.
Yeah, nice work, Nostradamus. Your track record at pointing out that most long shot draft picks and newly acquired busts won't pan out is stunning. Also impressive has been your masterful predictions that our first overall picks would turn out to be pretty good.

Anyway, nice to see that you're starting to see some positives in Omark. I guess you've refocused your hate blinders on Roy for the moment and are maybe looking at him objectively for once.

Old
09-12-2013, 07:07 PM
jp7

We should just write off the kid completely, he'll never improve at the age of 18

Old
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Oil Town XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
A very detailed play by play report on another site.
what site?

Old
09-12-2013, 07:19 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

thanks
I am aware of your report, thanks for it. Even though the initial posts were on topic, it doesn't change the fact that the current conversation is driving the thread off topic. There is a better place for a discussion about Roy. It would be either in his own thread, or in the prospects thread.

I will probably be removing posts after this that aren't on topic, as a heads up to all posters.

Old
09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

what is expected to happen with ben eager this year?

Old
09-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Town XJ View Post
Wasnt the pp krugers baby?
Definitely at one point (remember the passing back and forth on the 5-on-3 behind the net). For some reason I think Smith took care of it last season but I could be talking out of my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
They changed up the PP last season and they still had a bunch of success, so I'm guessing they think that the success had more to do with personnel than system.

You never know too. Acton could be running the same set-up as last season or the RNH ran Corey Power Potter Play set-up from 11/12 too.
True, but I'm gonna stick by the don't-change-what-ain't-broken adage. I'll dredge this up if the PP falters and deny it ever happened if we lead the league.

Old
09-12-2013, 07:42 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

haven't seen it posted but eakins said the ference scored the highest on the fitness test that he's ever seen as a coach

Old
09-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Crobby

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
haven't seen it posted but eakins said the ference scored the highest on the fitness test that he's ever seen as a coach
I believe it. If you follow him on twitter you can just see how active the guy is.

Good role model for the kids that's for sure

Old
09-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Just saw the interviews with Hall, Gags, Ebs, Smytty, and Jones on the Oilers website.

There was some real good stuff coming from Ryan Smyth.

After watching them all, and hearing what they're saying, I have a feeling that this team is going to make the next step (playoff birth or contention) this year.

I'm going to try not to be too optimistic though.

Optimism has a way of biting you in the ass when you're an Oiler fan.

Old
09-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post

Brule
Penner
Some of the OHL guys
Omark
Neilson
Schremp

Replacement has been right about a lot of players but like all of us he has been wrong too. POS, Cole being a good fit here, Gilbert, etc. The bottom line is that Roy has a fair bit of grit and defensive awareness as a young kid, he can point to, bold, enlarge, and write it in red, but his - numbers tell more about a piss poor team than they do about the player. I'd suggest that you watch the player and draw your own conclusions. You mention Penner who just so happened to have been on his bad side because he replaced one of his favorites in Smyth and he eventually changed his mind on him and now holds the same kind of grudge with guys like Klefbom and the already departed Teubert.

09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Dooman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Town XJ View Post
what site?
Lowetide

Old
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Based on the photos, I would say Roy is slightly taller than the 5'11" Yakupov.

Again, I encourage people to reject your observations about Roy.
so we can just say he is probably 5'12" then...

Old
09-12-2013, 09:33 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

In the interviews on Oilers.com it's good to hear the players talk about the cup. I don't want your goal to be playoffs, I want your goal to be the cup and if you make it to the finals and don't win you should be disappointed in your season.

Old
09-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Replacement has been right about a lot of players but like all of us he has been wrong too. POS, Cole being a good fit here, Gilbert, etc. The bottom line is that Roy has a fair bit of grit and defensive awareness as a young kid, he can point to, bold, enlarge, and write it in red, but his - numbers tell more about a piss poor team than they do about the player. I'd suggest that you watch the player and draw your own conclusions. You mention Penner who just so happened to have been on his bad side because he replaced one of his favorites in Smyth and he eventually changed his mind on him and now holds the same kind of grudge with guys like Klefbom and the already departed Teubert.
POS for sure. I wanted the kid to succeed. He kind of went through trying times and somebody I was cheering for. Didn't pan out. Crashed and burned.

Cole I don't believe I was wrong on in that he continued to be a reasonable player, just not here. I don't think he was used properly.

Actually Glencross is my saddest moment. Totally underestimated the player. Though he was a flash in the pan. I flat out blew that call but so did a lot of people including the org. Glencross turning out to be pretty much exactly what we've needed ever since. My counter on that though is I would've at least had the sense to retain Brodziak. Stoll, Torres, would still be on my club as well as you know.

PS I won all the pennerbets. Every one of them. I had it nailed to the wall. So not sure what you're on about with that. That I began to appreciate what the player could bring on a very bad club didn't erase that I knew his limitations and probable performance and production.

I have absolutely no reason to dislike Klefbom and I don't. He could be a solid player, injuries sure are holding him back. So no reason to invent fictions like I have some sort of grudge against Klefbom. Just isn't the case. My only "grudge" against Teubert is he was out and out useless from the start and before he got here.

But again now this is OT. Can there be some more actual comments from people about TC. Did anybody else here check it out? Man there used to be 25 reports on TC on this board. Somethings wrong.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-12-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Closed Thread