HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 09:57 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
haven't seen it posted but eakins said the ference scored the highest on the fitness test that he's ever seen as a coach
Thats great, I really think Ference is exactly what this team sorely needs, vetran leadership, a guy who has won cups and knows what it takes to win.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Mr Sakich

the only negative anyone had with the signing was the term - 4 years was too much for a 34 year old.

Maybe 4 years is going to be no problem. If he can keep his conditioning at an elite level, we just picked up the best available ufa dman for a fair price for a decent term

Old
09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the only negative anyone had with the signing was the term - 4 years was too much for a 34 year old.

Maybe 4 years is going to be no problem. If he can keep his conditioning at an elite level, we just picked up the best available ufa dman for a fair price for a decent term
That's just it. It's hard to know with him. With how fit he is, he might easily be worth his deal for all 4 years.

I also get the feeling he's going to get a LOT of minutes this year. Him and Eakins sound a lot alike, and coaches do play favorites

Old
09-12-2013, 10:26 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

vCash: 50
should also be noted that ference banned fried and other unhealthy foods from the bruins dressing room

Old
09-12-2013, 10:40 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

Ya, 4 years isn't ideal, but, as stated with his fitness, I would bank on him. That being said Horc was super fit to, fit doesn't help you from getting your bones broken. Any way still more than happy to have him

Old
09-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
should also be noted that ference banned fried and other unhealthy foods from the bruins dressing room
Not sure I believe that. Chara drinks pop on the bench.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
nobody tells Chara what to do..

Old
09-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Cam98

Quote:
is pop considered food? no its not.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
is pop considered food? no its not.
Sugar is an actual food/additive. An unhealthy one. Guess what pop consists mostly of?

Old
09-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sugar is an actual food/additive. An unhealthy one. Guess what pop consists mostly of?
Mainly water, followed by high fructose corn syrup (in the USA). Go elsewhere and one may find a higher sucrose content (somewhere without a powerful corn lobby).

Glad to read that Omark has returned from Switzerland as a more mature player. Hopefully Smyth is in better shape and can play better than he did last season (it would be hard to play worse). The Oilers need bottom-6 contributors. Gordon should go a long way in that regards as well.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Reading on the Sens board that Jim O'Brien might be a guy that could potentially go on waivers

Thoughts? Any interest? Might be a good guy to gamble on as a bottom 6 role.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:59 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Edit: NVM He had a virus when he drank the coke on the bench. Was looking for a little boost. http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/01...s-coke-problem

Last edited by raab: 09-13-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old
09-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
iI'm slightly perplexed to why Keith Acton would handle the PP duties. We've had a Top-5 PP the last two years and would figure that we'd want continuity and a couch familiar with the system utilized to run it. Why fix something that isn't broken.

Following the same vein, I want to see Smyth back on the PP in front of the net. I think he can contribute to this team in some areas, but wouldn't be enthused if lots of ES minutes with Hall was one of them.

I wish we had a primer on the other lines with the lesser lights. Where was Eager, Omark, Pitlick, Jones, Chase, etc. lining up with? The only one I know of is Bilcke - Martindale - Ewanyk.
following the same vein?

more like how to contradict yourself as quickly as possible?

Old
09-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Reading on the Sens board that Jim O'Brien might be a guy that could potentially go on waivers

Thoughts? Any interest? Might be a good guy to gamble on as a bottom 6 role.
He doesn't seem to drop the gloves much though.

Old
09-13-2013, 12:33 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
He doesn't seem to drop the gloves much though.
I have been on the Jim O'Brien train for almost forever. 6'2", 200, plays centre, adds grit, and he'd cost (if anything, a virtual) nothing.

Old
09-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Soundwave

Soda is honestly probably worse than a bag of potato chips given the difference in insulin spikes.

That said drinking a Coke during a hockey game is no big deal. Your body is going to use the sugar instantly, it's not that much different from drinking a Gatorade sugar-wise, although the gas and stomach bloat is probably something you'd want to avoid.

Good on Ference and Eakins for wanting to clean up the locker room diets, but honestly I think gaining strength is more important than avoiding the occasional Snickers bar.

Old
09-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
following the same vein?

more like how to contradict yourself as quickly as possible?
I suppose that's one way to (incorrectly) construe what I wrote.

Why fix something that isn't broken = Why let the new assistant coach who has no experience with our Top-3 PP take the reigns over the assistant coahes that were here last season.

Following the same vein = to continue talking about the powerplay.

We're down a guy to work the front of the net and I'm not sure Dallas will let us borrow Horcoff for 2:31 of PP time every game.

Old
09-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Rumpy

Quote:
He drank it in double or triple overtime to keep his sugar levels up and got fined by the league for it. Had Coke instead of Pepsi or vise versa.

Chara is a health FREAK and doesn't drink it regularly. It was a unique circumstance.

That said you guys have a consumate professional in Ference and even when he gets hurt he is worth the 2.5 M just for his locker room presence. The guy is a winner!!! I wish the Bruins found a way to keep him and hope when he is done playing he finds his way back to the Bruins front office.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:28 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I suppose that's one way to (incorrectly) construe what I wrote.

Why fix something that isn't broken = Why let the new assistant coach who has no experience with our Top-3 PP take the reigns over the assistant coahes that were here last season.

Following the same vein = to continue talking about the powerplay.

We're down a guy to work the front of the net and I'm not sure Dallas will let us borrow Horcoff for 2:31 of PP time every game.
Ryan Hamilton and Joensuu could do that, but I doubt either gets PP time with the Oilers.

I still want Penner back.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Soundwave

Gatorade is pretty much tons of sugar too, lol, so Coke isn't much different. You're just getting a caffeine bolt to go with it.

The carbonated nature of it is probably why I'd advise against it.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:57 AM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Good on Ference and Eakins for wanting to clean up the locker room diets, but honestly I think gaining strength is more important than avoiding the occasional Snickers bar.
Good for Ference and Eakins, though they should gather all the snicker bars and force Nuge to eat them... let him add a bit of weight lol

Old
09-13-2013, 02:34 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Thank you to Replacement for reporting what he saw. It's nice to see that Omark has changed for the better.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

lots of athletes drink coke, as sugar+caffeine=good against exhaustion. they usually open it and let it flatten for several hours before drinking it.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:22 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Blunderbore View Post
lots of athletes drink coke, as sugar+caffeine=good against exhaustion. they usually open it and let it flatten for several hours before drinking it.
interesting

Old
09-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Good for Ference and Eakins, though they should gather all the snicker bars and force Nuge to eat them... let him add a bit of weight lol
Yeah RNH could stand to eat a few a day. Man I wish I had that sort of metabolism again, lol. I was pretty much just as skinny when I was that age.

Closed Thread