HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
People are complaining about Nurse/Nichushkin because of a couple pre-season games? In hindsight Nichushkin might've been a better fit because we have no size in our top 6, but it's not like Nurse isn't projected to fill a major need in the future as well.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:11 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I was bored, so I took a look at some D drafted around where Nurse was. In the earlier drafts I looked at forwards drafted around where they were.

Just for informational purposes

D drafted 5-16ish (picked the limits arbitarly in different years)

2011:
Hamilton- good pick
Brodin-good to great pick
Seimens- TBD
Murphy (13) TBD, risky pick, not a bust but wait and see type guy

2010:
McIlrath- Was a reach, didnt like the pick here, but leaning more to a bottom pairing guy. Dont know alot about him
Fowler- good pick, seen as a dropper

OEL- stud, #1 D
Cowen- Good pick, top 4 guy either now or very soon
Ellis- Risky pick, dont know what his future is, maybe someone can chime in, but polar opposite D of Nurse
de Haan- Shoulder injuries have prevented him, I still like top 4 potential
Kulikov- Florida fans love him I believe, dont know much about him

Forwards in 09 drafted around these guys
Schenn
Glennie
Kadri
MPS
Kassian
Holland

08:
Petro (4 but still) #1D, stud
Schenn (5) Top 4 guy, didnt live up to potential. Some may believe Nurse is in this mold. However I think Nurse is better offensively, hopefulyl follows the path of Petro. Also Schenn was rushed.

Myers- mixed bag, was sick, had some troubles this season
Tuebert- Oh god, bust
Karlsson- Norris

Forwards in 08 drafted around these guys

Filatov,Wilson, Boedker, Wilson, Hodgson, Bailey, Beach, Boychuk, Colborne. Nothing impressive

Hickey (4)- bust but a big reach, but tweener
Alzner- top 4 guy
Ellerby-bust, but fringe NHLer
Mcdonagh- #2-3D
Shattenkirk- top 4 guy, maybe a #3
Plante- Norris caliber, elite mega uber stud. AHL all star soon to be cup winner

Forwards drafted around them
Gagner, Vorachek, Hamill, Couture, Sutter, Eller, Gillies. Mixed bag of forward. Not sure if forwards are better

None. EJ was #1 and Wishart was 16. Pretty meh draft after Kessel @ 5. Giroux was 22 though

Bourdon (RIP)
Staal- top pairing guy
Lee- 209 nhl games

Forwards-
Brule, Skille, seto, Kopitar, Omarra, Bourret. Only Kopitar and Seto are good

03 (2013 was supposedly close to 03)
Suter- top pairing
Coburn- #3
Phanuef- #1b-2 guy
Seabrook- Top pairing

Forwards
Vanek, michelak,Kosityn,Carter,Jessiman, Brown, Nilsson.

Maybe VN turns into Vanek/ Carter and Nurse into Phanuef/Seabrook/Suter
Why did you skip 04?

Old
09-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Bryanbryoil

IMO we needed a 2C that plays a 2 way game, a power forward and a top 3D that can play physical, we had 1 pick, so Nurse it was.

Nurse skates extremely well and has a mean streak that will be great to have on the blueline when he fills out. Hopefully we filled 1 of our needs with the pick.

09-16-2013, 11:13 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
nice work. Surprised how many good D and absolute bust forwards there are in that range.

ps, I think the Seabrook or Suter is a good comparison for Nurse's upside. I think his bottom end would be Coburn or Alzner.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
nice work. Surprised how many good D and absolute bust forwards there are in that range.

ps, I think the Seabrook or Suter is a good comparison for Nurse's upside. I think his bottom end would be Coburn or Alzner.
Its a pretty mixed bag, I think the luck in the draft begins to creep in around the 6th pick slightly.

However I didnt really take into account pre draft projections and style of player.

The Nurse is a very intriguing pick because in the year before his draft and in the beginning part of his draft year he was seen as a defensive physical D (Cowen, Schenn type guy) and for the rest of the draft year his offensive really improved, even when he didnt play alot of PP. And in the pre season this year he really looked good with the puck and often jumped up into the play, looking like an offensive type guy (Petro/Suter)

Itll be interesting to see how he develops and into what type of D (Offensive, 2 way or defensive)

Personally I hope Seabrook or Suter. But ill take anything if he becomes a good top 4 guy (Cowen) or even top pairing guy

Or Weber

I just want a good defenseman

Old
09-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Why did you skip 04?
Wanted to watch the football game

Here it is

D
Barker (3)- Please dont go this way
Smid- top 4
Thelen-bust
Valabik- bust

Forwards
Wheeler- 2nd/3rd line guy
Olesz- meh
Picard-bust
Tukeon-bust
Stafford- good player
Radulov- KHL but good

2004 was meh draft after the top 2.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:24 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO we needed a 2C that plays a 2 way game, a power forward and a top 3D that can play physical, we had 1 pick, so Nurse it was.

Nurse skates extremely well and has a mean streak that will be great to have on the blueline when he fills out. Hopefully we filled 1 of our needs with the pick.
I agree with the needs, but I think if we had taken one of several other players we would have been better off down the road. Now in saying that since Nurse is now an Oiler I hope he succeeds just going to be annoying being on this board the next little while as guys think hes the second coming of Pietrangelo and Suter. Although I once knew a poster who thought Schremp would be the second coming of Doug Weight, and I made it through a few years of that non sense.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:26 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Wanted to watch the football game

Here it is

D
Barker (3)- Please dont go this way
Smid- top 4
Thelen-bust
Valabik- bust

Forwards
Wheeler- 2nd/3rd line guy
Olesz- meh
Picard-bust
Tukeon-bust
Stafford- good player
Radulov- KHL but good

2004 was meh draft after the top 2.
Andrew Ladd at 4 disagrees.

Edit: Overall pretty interesting list, somewhat surprising the number of forward bust is so high. Should be exciting to see what Nurse ends playing like in his prime.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
I agree with the needs, but I think if we had taken one of several other players we would have been better off down the road. Now in saying that since Nurse is now an Oiler I hope he succeeds just going to be annoying being on this board the next little while as guys think hes the second coming of Pietrangelo and Suter. Although I once knew a poster who thought Schremp would be the second coming of Doug Weight, and I made it through a few years of that non sense.
To be fair- at the time of their respective drafts, Nurse wasnt that far off in terms of skill. Those guys just had good development

Its not like people are saying Nurse> Jones or likewise 2013 Nurse > Jbo at draft or Nurse > EJ at draft.

I would love for Nurse to become as good as those guys, and it could very well happen. But he could be the next Barker or Tuebert.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Andrew Ladd at 4 disagrees.

Edit: Overall pretty interesting list, somewhat surprising the number of forward bust is so high. Should be exciting to see what Nurse ends playing like in his prime.
Forgot about him. But that draft had alot of duds. Only maybe 15 NHL players in round 1. Of those guys many of them are depth guys. Only Malkin/Ovy/Ladd/Smid/Radulov(could)/Meszaros/Green/(maybe Stafford) are guys that play prominent roles.

2nd round not much better. Krecji/Bolland/Bickell/Dubinsky

Pretty weak draft

Old
09-16-2013, 11:36 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
To be fair- at the time of their respective drafts, Nurse wasnt that far off in terms of skill. Those guys just had good development

Its not like people are saying Nurse> Jones or likewise 2013 Nurse > Jbo at draft or Nurse > EJ at draft.

I would love for Nurse to become as good as those guys, and it could very well happen. But he could be the next Barker or Tuebert.
O for sure, I just think comparing him to some of the top defencemen in the game while making his worst case scenario a Coburn(Arguably one of the top 100 d men in the league) might be a bit premature. Best case scenario in my mind is he turns into a mobile pmd defensive dman who plays tough and puts up 30 points a year, worst case scenario hes bottom pairing in 5 years.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This just in: forwards bust sometimes, D-men bust sometimes, there is no pattern. Woah!

Last edited by Soli: 09-16-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Dude... you can edit you posts. Don't make another post to correct yourself!
Old
09-17-2013, 12:33 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Im moving on but I will leave you with this what is that red flag now is it his skating his skill or that he decided to stay in the KHL really what is it? Because he was dominant in that game every shift according to some. Oh yeah and once again his center was Horcoff he was also very strong at Traverse city tournament as well. Oh and check out this breakaway again and The Hemsky finish And check his slot goal how he seems to have good net presence http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...ole?catid=1229 sorry not seeing red flags just red lights behind net.
His red flag is the same as Evgeni Kuznetsov and Russian teams are trying even harder now to keep their young stars then when Kuznetsov was drafted. Personally, I would've been happy with any of Nurse, Nichushkin, or Lazar at our spot, so am glad that we got one of them.

Old
09-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Sort of like how a certain poster whose name I won't mention thinks that Couturier > RNH?

Old
09-17-2013, 12:43 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Sort of like how a certain poster whose name I won't mention thinks that Couturier > RNH?
, well played sir, well played.

Old
09-17-2013, 01:56 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
A goal scorer with below average hockey sense and a below average shot.

He'll be lucky to be a "superstar" complimentary player.
What...

Old
09-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

For me the 2C was far and away the biggest need and I would have been perfectly happy coming away with either Horvat or Lazar. We did not even need to move up, we could have grabbed that prospect need at that pick.

The other two are more distant needs, power forward yes and then definitely way down the ladder and honestly not sure I ever seen anyone identify your third need, at least not until after we picked Nurse.

Nurse is a damn fine prospect, but with defense being the only area with prospect pool (not playing on the big team) had any depth, the make up of the team, the current progress of the rebuild and the fact that C prospect pool is a barren wasteland, then picking a D with that 1st pick should have been well down the list. That is not even factoring in how long D take to develop to the point they start really helping you win hockey games.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:13 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
For me the 2C was far and away the biggest need and I would have been perfectly happy coming away with either Horvat or Lazar. We did not even need to move up, we could have grabbed that prospect need at that pick.

The other two are more distant needs, power forward yes and then definitely way down the ladder and honestly not sure I ever seen anyone identify your third need, at least not until after we picked Nurse.

Nurse is a damn fine prospect, but with defense being the only area with prospect pool (not playing on the big team) had any depth, the make up of the team, the current progress of the rebuild and the fact that C prospect pool is a barren wasteland, then picking a D with that 1st pick should have been well down the list. That is not even factoring in how long D take to develop to the point they start really helping you win hockey games.
Being a Gagner skeptic myself, I agree that the 2C with bite to his game and solid defensive ability would've been ideal however it seemed pretty obvious that MacT had his 2C in mind the whole time and it was none other than the man that was already on the job.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:20 AM
T-Funk

Realistically we don't need any top 2 centres for a very long time. We still don't have anyone really projecting to be a number one d. Hopefully klefbom Schultz and nurse at least become good number two/threes but who knows.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:33 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

I really disagree that we need a new 2C AND a powerforward. Put Lucic out with Gagner and Yakupov, and that line will cause havoc. It's just a matter of getting 1 player who actually fits

Old
09-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
For me it came down to drafting an ultra-talented, very big, very fast skating power forward. You don't come across those types of prospects every day. You had to watch Nichushkin play and not just a few highlights and you could see his true ceiling and his full potential.

Some say it's only after Nurse has had a poor camp and Nichushkin looks good that Nichushkin's supporters are crapping on Nurse and hyping Nichushkin... not true at all for me. I was firmly on the Nichuskin train before the draft and I have a long view... far beyond this training camp or even the next few years... his potential is enormous... simply watch and see him fulfill it.

I like Nurse as well and I actually don't think he's had a poor camp... it's what's expected for an 18 year old dman. He has a high upside as well and will fulfill it in time.

For me it just comes down to a supremely talented player with enormous upside that the Oilers missed out on in favour of a very good player.

To those that say he could have played in the KHL for a year or two... so be it. The Oilers would still own his rights and if he wasn't good enough to cut it at the NHL level... nothing wrong with him developing elsewhere for a year or two.... just like other forwards or dmen often do.
With the exception of the first game in Penticton Nurse has had an excellent camp. His defensive game will be there almost for sure but he showed in this camp that he is very well rounded. I wanted a center, but I do think Nurse has proved himself so far to have been worthy of that pick.

Last edited by Fourier: 09-17-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old
09-17-2013, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 872
Lol 100 people showed up to afternoon panthers game

Old
09-17-2013, 08:41 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Sure, probably just as annoying as those who constantly complain about Nurse being a bad pick (cough Raab cough ) and those who are going to say that passing on Nichushkin was a mistake after every goal he scores even in the preseason.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 872
Why is this thread back on Nurse vs. anyone?

Old
09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Lol 100 people showed up to afternoon panthers game
seriously? even for a florida team in the preseason, that's very sad and pathetic.
there wasn't any hurricanes or bad storms? ouch.

Closed Thread