HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
seriously? even for a florida team in the preseason, that's very sad and pathetic.
there wasn't any hurricanes or bad storms? ouch.

Their excuse was that no one comes to pre-season action. They are meaningless. Plus it's an afternoon game. No one goes to the afternoon. They are just full of crap. Then there's the Panther fan base that thinks they have full games all the time. Well, when you gotta do a buy one get one free for season tickets then yes, you can sell them out. Or hand them to people for free.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:57 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post

Their excuse was that no one comes to pre-season action. They are meaningless. Plus it's an afternoon game. No one goes to the afternoon. They are just full of crap. Then there's the Panther fan base that thinks they have full games all the time. Well, when you gotta do a buy one get one free for season tickets then yes, you can sell them out. Or hand them to people for free.
lol i have seen more people at a novice game

Old
09-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
lol i have seen more people at a novice game
I see more people at Millenium Place watching the Golden Bears practice.

Old
09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2851
Quote:

Simple solution, take the pre-season games to somewhere that cares. Relocate the whole freaking camp to Regina.

Old
09-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How do you figure?
Do the words "We like the like but he just needs to improve his skating" mean anything? When this quote is used for multiple years in a row the guy is doomed.

Old
09-17-2013, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

@Romulus' Apotheosis

Maybe you haven't heard it because others don't look for stories. He didn't improve his strength in the off-season. Pretty simple. He is a long-shot at best to ever play, so many don't cover him. I saw him in the room and asked someone about it. I'll take their word combined with my own eyes and that is where the opinion comes from. Pretty simple.

News flash, they are competing against one another. They won't all make it and you need a depth chart. I'd be surprised if Gernat plays a game for the Oilers. Doesn't mean he is a bad kid, but looking at the depth chart and how Davidson has improved a lot, while Gernat hasn't makes it easier.

Factor in Klefbom and Nurse he is even farther down.

It's pretty simple when you are around the room to see players.

Gregor responding to thoughts about Gernat. Not good.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Simple solution, take the pre-season games to somewhere that cares. Relocate the whole freaking camp to Regina.
I watched a preseason game in Puerto Rico once. It was the Panthers against the Rangers. It wasn't packed but it was a decent crowd. All mainlanders and Canadians of course.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

"Growing the game" ladies and gentlemen. Don't worry, in another 15 years in Florida they'll be able to draw 200 people.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:06 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
@Romulus' Apotheosis

Maybe you haven't heard it because others don't look for stories. He didn't improve his strength in the off-season. Pretty simple. He is a long-shot at best to ever play, so many don't cover him. I saw him in the room and asked someone about it. I'll take their word combined with my own eyes and that is where the opinion comes from. Pretty simple.

News flash, they are competing against one another. They won't all make it and you need a depth chart. I'd be surprised if Gernat plays a game for the Oilers. Doesn't mean he is a bad kid, but looking at the depth chart and how Davidson has improved a lot, while Gernat hasn't makes it easier.

I actually found Gregor's comments to RA in their exchange incredibly smug and condescending. Didn't back up any of his opinions, really. Just loudmouthed away, as usual. Don't see why you'd give his words any more weight than you would to any random blogger/poster. Gernat wasn't able to pack on much/any weight in the off season, therefore he's a bust with bad work ethic and character? What a load. He's a fifth round selection. He was always going to be a longshot to make it, but I like the way he's trending. I think after a couple full seasons in the A, we'll have a better idea about the kid.

Last edited by NAF: 09-17-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old
09-17-2013, 10:10 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I actually found Gregor's comments to RA in their exchange incredibly smug and condescending. Didn't back up any of his opinions, really. Just loudmouthed away, as usual. Don't see why you'd give his words any more weight than you would to any random blogger/poster.
Probably because RA has been all over Gregor for awhile now. As for the second part, Gregor is actually with the team unlike a lot of people so I'll take his word. His work speaks for itself. He gets interviews with all sorts of people as well.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:17 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Probably because RA has been all over Gregor for awhile now. As for the second part, Gregor is actually with the team unlike a lot of people so I'll take his word. His work speaks for itself. He gets interviews with all sorts of people as well.
He gets interviews with people and he's in the room, so he knows what he's talking about? Okay, then. If those are the criteria for credibility, I guess I better start hanging on every word that Stauffer and Tencer say. Those guys are CONNECTED!

Old
09-17-2013, 10:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
He gets interviews with people and he's in the room, so he knows what he's talking about? Okay, then. If those are the criteria for credibility, I guess I better start hanging on every word that Stauffer and Tencer say. Those guys are CONNECTED!
So who you going to listen to? Richard Cloutier?

Gregor is one of the best we have. Might go overboard with his how he presents himself at times, but he is one of the most knowledgeable people that is with this teams daily.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Hockey Nightmare

I thought they like afternoon games in the states. They're always playing baseball in the afternoon on weekdays.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:

I attended an Oilers preseaon game in 06/06. There was nobody there. Maybe 2000-3000 people. This huge support for preseaon in Canada seems to be relatively recent?

Old
09-17-2013, 10:49 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
So who you going to listen to? Richard Cloutier?

Gregor is one of the best we have. Might go overboard with his how he presents himself at times, but he is one of the most knowledgeable people that is with this teams daily.
Knowledgeable how? As in, he has knowledge of what the people that matter are doing and thinking? Or he himself has knowledge and insights into the team that are unique and valuable? I can see the former being true simply because of his insider status, but have never observed the latter, myself.

Anyway, I don't really "listen" to anyone. Or, rather, I listen to and read everyone, but unless they're reporting words that have come directly from the mouths of the people that matter (coaches, management, players) I don't really care about any of it. I get the exact same thing from opinions posted by folks on HF Oil as I do from opinions published in blogs: entertainment and perhaps a different perspective.

Old
09-17-2013, 10:58 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Knowledgeable how? As in, he has knowledge of what the people that matter are doing and thinking? Or he himself has knowledge and insights into the team that are unique and valuable? I can see the former being true simply because of his insider status, but have never observed the latter, myself.

Anyway, I don't really "listen" to anyone. Or, rather, I listen to and read everyone, but unless they're reporting words that have come directly from the mouths of the people that matter (coaches, management, players) I don't really care about any of it. I get the exact same thing from opinions posted by folks on HF Oil as I do from opinions published in blogs: entertainment and perhaps a different perspective.
There is a big difference between a guy that is in the dressing room seeing how players interact, what their habits are etc. as opposed to posters on here.

Who knows maybe Gregor is wrong, but he pointed out something that no one here has mentioned. He also said he talked to someone, who knows if that's someone from the team or what.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

Wow. That picture tells a thousand words.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Interest is very low in Florida.

I count 6

Old
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Not that I am supporting 2 teams in Florida, but that game was an afternoon game on a weekday. Although I suppose with all the retirees there, that is still pretty bad.

Old
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
@Romulus' Apotheosis

Gregor's "I looked into his eyes" notion is almost as a Replacement-level argument for a players chances at playing in the NHL.

Not that I think Gernat will, but... come on. If it were really that simple, you guys wouldn't be wrong so often.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:18 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
There is a big difference between a guy that is in the dressing room seeing how players interact, what their habits are etc. as opposed to posters on here.
Not as I see it. Opinions are like *******s: everybody has one. Unless he's telling me what specific people on the team think (y'know, journalism), I'm going to judge his opinions on their own merits, same as I would anyone else.

Quote:
Who knows maybe Gregor is wrong, but he pointed out something that no one here has mentioned. He also said he talked to someone, who knows if that's someone from the team or what.
Who knows who he talked to. He was purposefully vague. He may have talked to no one and just hoped that by waving his hand and invoking his insider status, readers would just take him at his word. Or he may have commented to some trainer "Hey, did Gernat put on much weight over the summer?" and, after receiving a negative reply, scurried home to furiously write his little character assassination blog post.

Either way, unless he's willing to come out and reveal exactly who in the organization said what about Gernat, I'm just gonna go ahead and ignore the guy.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Not as I see it. Opinions are like *******s: everybody has one. Unless he's telling me what specific people on the team think (y'know, journalism), I'm going to judge his opinions on their own merits, same as I would anyone else.

Who knows who he talked to. He was purposefully vague. He may have talked to no one and just hoped that by waving his hand and invoking his insider status, readers would just take him at his word. Or he may have commented to some trainer "Hey, did Gernat put on much weight over the summer?" and, after receiving a negative reply, scurried home to furiously write his little character assassination blog post.

Either way, unless he's willing to come out and reveal exactly who in the organization said what about Gernat, I'm just gonna go ahead and ignore the guy.
Go right ahead, but don't complain in a couple years when Gernat is struggling and no one warned us.

Fans complain all the time that we don't hear about things until it's too late or over, well here is a guy letting us know something early.

And good look getting anyone to name their source. That happens and said person won't have sources anymore.

edit: it's kinda like grebeshkov, most fans don't want him making this team yet everything coming from the media is pointing to him making it. Why would that be? Probably because they have inside knowledge about this, but they aren't going to tell you who told them.

Last edited by joestevens29: 09-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Go right ahead, but don't complain in a couple years when Gernat is struggling and no one warned us.

Fans complain all the time that we don't hear about things until it's too late or over, well here is a guy letting us know something early.

And good look getting anyone to name their source. That happens and said person won't have sources anymore.
Ha! I'd be shocked like hell if Gernat isn't struggling in a few years. Fifth round pick/defenceman whose weakness is playing defence/ tall lanky kid with very little muscle mass hoping to compete against the biggest/strongest hockey players in the world? Come on. I don't need a crystal ball to predict his road to the NHL is a rough one. If you think there's value in Gregor's claims that he lacks dedication as well, okay then. I'll stick to the observable facts, not innuendo and rumour about the character of a 19-year-old kid.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
edit: it's kinda like grebeshkov, most fans don't want him making this team yet everything coming from the media is pointing to him making it. Why would that be? Probably because they have inside knowledge about this, but they aren't going to tell you who told them.
Common sense should really be enough to tell you Grebeshkov is making the team. He didn't come back from Russia on a one-way contract to play in the AHL. MacT will give him every opportunity, even one some posters might think he doesn't deserve (based on one pre-season game).

Hell, most posters want Gagner traded and Dubnyk nailed to a cross. Do I need to sidle up next to someone on the inside to learn that those things aren't going to happen either? This stuff really isn't that hard to figure out.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:45 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Could be Gernat 's lack of development is the bigger deal.

Closed Thread