HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2013, 12:17 PM
  #926
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Comments of "insider" info from Gregor aside, all I need to see to know that the Oilers were less than impressed with Gernat's camp for whatever reason is that for a prospect on his 3rd NHL training camp, the fact that the Oilers didn't even give him a single preseason game is a bit of an indictment. IMO they were sending him a bit of a message. What exactly they were displeased with isn't fully known.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
  #927
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,740
vCash: 500
Gernat is still as thin as a rail. Unless he bulks up he won't be in the NHL as anything more than an emergency call-up. The kid has a lot of talent, but no one can gain the weight for him.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  #928
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,971
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Not that I am supporting 2 teams in Florida, but that game was an afternoon game on a weekday. Although I suppose with all the retirees there, that is still pretty bad.
The way I like to put it is: see how many people show up in Edmonton for a weekday preseason game. It's probably at least 10,000 people on a bad day. Toronto is probably sold out.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:13 PM
  #929
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post


Their excuse was that no one comes to pre-season action. They are meaningless. Plus it's an afternoon game. No one goes to the afternoon. They are just full of crap. Then there's the Panther fan base that thinks they have full games all the time. Well, when you gotta do a buy one get one free for season tickets then yes, you can sell them out. Or hand them to people for free.
Dude, it's college football season here. Panther fans are rabid - even though they seem to know squat about hockey. Same with the Orlando Solar Bears fans... they scream and heckle at the refs. It's fun... seems like they are out for beers and fights.

voxel is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
  #930
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gernat is still as thin as a rail. Unless he bulks up he won't be in the NHL as anything more than an emergency call-up. The kid has a lot of talent, but no one can gain the weight for him.
Katz must have some sort of drug that can help, maybe not legal

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
  #931
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Dude, it's college football season here. Panther fans are rabid - even though they seem to know squat about hockey. Same with the Orlando Solar Bears fans... they scream and heckle at the refs. It's fun... seems like they are out for beers and fights.
yeah, both of them

The Last Dynasty is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:21 PM
  #932
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gernat is still as thin as a rail. Unless he bulks up he won't be in the NHL as anything more than an emergency call-up. The kid has a lot of talent, but no one can gain the weight for him.
He should have a sit down with Terry Jones.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
  #933
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
He should have a sit down with Terry Jones.
Terry is moving a lot now, trying to find those donuts that Eakins hid.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:46 PM
  #934
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee 3m
Joensuu a lock for EDM Oilers roster spot after one pre-season game? So says @Bob_Stauffer . Interesting.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:56 PM
  #935
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Comments of "insider" info from Gregor aside, all I need to see to know that the Oilers were less than impressed with Gernat's camp for whatever reason is that for a prospect on his 3rd NHL training camp, the fact that the Oilers didn't even give him a single preseason game is a bit of an indictment. IMO they were sending him a bit of a message. What exactly they were displeased with isn't fully known.
Stauffer made is sound as if they were annoyed how little muscle/weight he gained in the off season. Sounded like that was the one thing they asked of him, and he didn't deliver.

Bergeron47 is online now  
Old
09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
  #936
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee 3m
Joensuu a lock for EDM Oilers roster spot after one pre-season game? So says @Bob_Stauffer . Interesting.
If he continues his play like he did last game, he might have an outside shot at the top 9.
Joensuu/RNH/Eberle
Perron/Hall/Yakupov
Smyth/Gagner/Hemsky
R. Hamilton/Gordon/Jones

Who knows?

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  #937
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Stauffer made is sound as if they were annoyed how little muscle/weight he gained in the off season. Sounded like that was the one thing they asked of him, and he didn't deliver.
Didn't Marincin have a similar issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
If he continues his play like he did last game, he might have an outside shot at the top 9.
Joensuu/RNH/Eberle
Perron/Hall/Yakupov
Smyth/Gagner/Hemsky
R. Hamilton/Gordon/Jones

Who knows?
Sounds like they'd really love it if this kid could work in the top 9. I just hope they don't try force it.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
  #938
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,436
vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee 3m
Joensuu a lock for EDM Oilers roster spot after one pre-season game? So says @Bob_Stauffer . Interesting.
I would hope he isn't a lock yet at this point, but it sounds like he had a good first pre-season game. I'll be watching him tonight to see how he plays, most interested to see his speed and decision making abilities.

MeestaDeteta is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
  #939
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Robin Brownlee ‏@Robin_Brownlee 3m
Joensuu a lock for EDM Oilers roster spot after one pre-season game? So says @Bob_Stauffer . Interesting.
With what he showed he could bring to the table that game, not to mention his effort, I'm not surprised one bit.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 02:18 PM
  #940
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
If he continues his play like he did last game, he might have an outside shot at the top 9.
Joensuu/RNH/Eberle
Perron/Hall/Yakupov
Smyth/Gagner/Hemsky
R. Hamilton/Gordon/Jones

Who knows?
Hall will not stay at C.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Perron-Gordon-Hemsky
Smyth-Lander-Jones.

okgooil is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 02:18 PM
  #941
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
With what he showed he could bring to the table that game, not to mention his effort, I'm not surprised one bit.
At the very least, he improves our bottom six as compared to last year. He isn't the offensive black hole that is Petrell.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  #942
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Dude, it's college football season here. Panther fans are rabid - even though they seem to know squat about hockey. Same with the Orlando Solar Bears fans... they scream and heckle at the refs. It's fun... seems like they are out for beers and fights.
Sounds like Eskimo fans. Our CFL team sucks. So whenever I go to watch football, others go for the beers and fights. When I leave, it's like walking out of the biggest bar fight in the world.

Makes sense there is football happening, but you can't convince a lot of people on here that they have a huge fan base from that picture. Not saying lets take it away from you, but rather, if you guys cared, then there wouldn't be this kind of deserting.

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:15 PM
  #943
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 177
interesting comments from Eakins regarding the penalty kill's aggressiveness and trying to incorporate skilled players when possible on said pk

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:27 PM
  #944
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
If he continues his play like he did last game, he might have an outside shot at the top 9.
Joensuu/RNH/Eberle
Perron/Hall/Yakupov
Smyth/Gagner/Hemsky
R. Hamilton/Gordon/Jones

Who knows?
I'm a Canucks fan too, and I remember well Marco Sturm's first preseason game with the team. He looked like lightning and could finish. A few painful weeks later, he looked like a nightmare. The good thing about Joensuu is that he can do a lot more than Marco Sturm with his body should the scoring dry up, but I would hesitate to pencil him onto the top line based on one performance, even just as speculation.

JoeCool16 is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  #945
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
I'm a Canucks fan too, and I remember well Marco Sturm's first preseason game with the team. He looked like lightning and could finish. A few painful weeks later, he looked like a nightmare. The good thing about Joensuu is that he can do a lot more than Marco Sturm with his body should the scoring dry up, but I would hesitate to pencil him onto the top line based on one performance, even just as speculation.
I'm just hoping he'll be a grinder that can score 5+ goals. If he can keep the cycle going in the opposition's end without the puck dying immediately on his stick, then he's a worthwhile pick-up.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:39 PM
  #946
Crobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
Joensuu has always had a problem with consistency according to the Isles fans i've talked to.

Lets see if he can keep up his level of play since he has been pretty good so far.

Crobby is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:42 PM
  #947
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
interesting comments from Eakins regarding the penalty kill's aggressiveness and trying to incorporate skilled players when possible on said pk
I like this a lot. SH goals are like mini daggers during a game and the best way to kill a penalty is to not let the other team into your own end. Most pp teams even let you off the hook if you gamble the odd time by always setting up once they get into the offensive zone even if the pk team has a man caught.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
  #948
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I like this a lot. SH goals are like mini daggers during a game and the best way to kill a penalty is to not let the other team into your own end. Most pp teams even let you off the hook if you gamble the odd time by always setting up once they get into the offensive zone even if the pk team has a man caught.
Soooo....we are going back to the Todd Marchant/Mike Grier days where we were leading the league in SH goals. I love it!

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
  #949
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
@Romulus' Apotheosis

Maybe you haven't heard it because others don't look for stories. He didn't improve his strength in the off-season. Pretty simple. He is a long-shot at best to ever play, so many don't cover him. I saw him in the room and asked someone about it. I'll take their word combined with my own eyes and that is where the opinion comes from. Pretty simple.

News flash, they are competing against one another. They won't all make it and you need a depth chart. I'd be surprised if Gernat plays a game for the Oilers. Doesn't mean he is a bad kid, but looking at the depth chart and how Davidson has improved a lot, while Gernat hasn't makes it easier.

Factor in Klefbom and Nurse he is even farther down.

It's pretty simple when you are around the room to see players.


Gregor responding to thoughts about Gernat. Not good.
I agree with this, itll be a battle for him to even get AHL ice time this year.

Not to mention next year Simpson is coming in for NCAA, so is PP specialist Laleggia.

Thats why I wouldnt mind trying him as a winger for a bit in the AHL to start. If it works out then we get a winger with size and skill. If not he goes back to D and probaly dealt

topchowda is offline  
Old
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
  #950
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I like this a lot. SH goals are like mini daggers during a game and the best way to kill a penalty is to not let the other team into your own end. Most pp teams even let you off the hook if you gamble the odd time by always setting up once they get into the offensive zone even if the pk team has a man caught.
Agreed. SHGs are great momentum builders, especially at home.

I mean -look- other coaches have used guys like Hall and Eberle(and RNH or even Yakupov) in the last 30 seconds of the penalty kill. Or used them to kill off a major(everyone PKs).

Is Eakins going to go beyond that? Is he going to start offensive players on the PK? Is he going to spread the talent out across different PK units?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.