HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 06:28 PM
skorf

vCash: 500
Nutrition is important... even an average Joe like myself, I notice a difference when I eat healthy and when I do not. It would be the same with a professional athlete as well (I can run further before tiring when I eat healthy, I'm sure it's the same way with them as well, they could likely skate longer before tiring). They may burn all the calories, but is a 800 calorie big mac meal with no nutritional benefits the way to go? I think not.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is alcohol consumption. Sure it's fun I won't argue that... but a ton of empty calories and really why do people get drunk, it's cause the alcohol isn't really good for your bodies and you get an adverse reaction from it. Now the Oilers don't have a bunch of Seguin's or Evander Kane's on the team, but think of how much healthier and fit our team would be if the players would not go out drinking during the season.

Just eating healthy and limiting the fast food and a year of no alcohol... if the team committed to that... right there I think would be a huge step towards not having players having down games since their bodies will be in tip top shape. And really it's a small price to pay to make millions playing a sport that you love.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:29 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Calling Gordon Ramsay, I repeat, calling Gordon Ramsay!

Forget that. They should be calling Mike Dolce. That man gets Chael Sonnen down to 185 for fight night, dude weighs 225 on an average day.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Soundwave

Personally I've said for years that the Oilers should hire a professional chef at least for the kids who's on call 24/7. Especially when I heard Hall/Eberle (kids being kids) would mostly eat out at Joeys or Earls as rookies (hopefully their diet has gotten better since then).

Especially Nugent Hopkins, we need to be sure he's getting a good 3000 decent calories a day.

What's a 70,000/year expense for a good chef when you're making $50+ million dollar investments in these kids?

It's like spending $300k on a Lamborghini but skimping on the engine oil.

Eakins' emphasis on endurance is fine and dandy, but I think strength training needs to be emphasized moreso. RNH is still way too skinny.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Bank Shot

Every year there are always a bunch of players saying how they have improved their fitness and it will lead to better results. There are a bunch of fans all excited about how Moreau and his friends went to camp Mandelbaum all summer and they are really going to make the playoffs this season!!!

I'm not too concerned about it. The vast majority of these guys are already in great shape to begin with. I think that so called renewed commitment to fitness won't make much impact, if any except to those guys that were in bad shape before. I think the Oilers purged their only problem child there in Peckham.

Look at the fitness scores of NHL teams and more often then not its some AHL plug that scores off the charts and wins the day.

Lets hope they put some improved hockey players on the ice this season, not some great crossfitters. So why are they talking about adding a goon, when there are perfectly serviceable NHLers out there still looking for work?

Old
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
molsonmuscle360

Am I the only one here who would be way happier with the fruit and veggie trays over a bunch of donuts? Although, I'd need my coffee. But, I brew my own at home and bring it with me, I never drink drip crap.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Am I the only one here who would be way happier with the fruit and veggie trays over a bunch of donuts? Although, I'd need my coffee. But, I brew my own at home and bring it with me, I never drink drip crap.
Agreed, but it's easier to poison doughnuts.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Koto

Quote:
dont like either lol, FEED ME CEREAL

Old
09-11-2013, 07:40 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
dont like either lol, FEED ME CEREAL
Are you 3?

Old
09-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Are you 3?
Shut your dirty mouth. Cereal is amazing.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
The alcohol consumption gets blown overboard.

Call me crazy but I find myself more successful at work the next day if I've had a few beers the night before than if I haven't..I'm not talking getting drunk, I'm sayin a few cold ones in the evening isn't really a bad thing, there are some nutritional benefits in beer and wine..vodka, whiskey, rum, and other hard liquor not so much, or non at all.

I think it also helps you relax a little better, sleep better..and just take it easy after a long hard day at work.
If your goin out clubbing 2-3 times a week, puking your brains out at least once a week then your work will definitely suffer though.

Work hard, exercise hard, stay away from too many carbs, eat a ton of protein and vegetables, have a little beer, sleep good..my theory.

Teas are also great for you, green tea especially detoxifies you, coffee with cream and no sugar gets you goin first thing in the morning..

Enough health talk..I think the Pro's know what the hell they're doin.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Can't wait till the next news cycle when the media all unanimously decide on a different story du jour and I don't have to listen to any more fluff about what an amazing fitness freak Eakins is because he finished a long bike race once. You could see all of the players really struggling not to roll their eyes every time they were asked about their new coach's focus on fitness. "Uh, yeah. We're professional athletes. I've never had a coach who DIDN'T demand his players be fit. But, no, yeah, here's some quotes: new focus on accountability, culture change, yawn. We done here?"

Old
09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Gotta be a slow day when we are worried if the Oilers have a head chef or not.

I'm all for a better diet, but it's a bit ridiculous that it's getting so much attention.....something interesting better happen soon.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Kevotron

so now we gotta get chefs for 20+ yr olds ?? should we hire maids to clean their homes and care takers to whipe their bums ??
they are men and should be given their independence.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:13 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Is Belov going to make it here in time to play exhibition games? Is he already here?

Also, any news on Moroz?

Last edited by AlowlyOilersfan: 09-11-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: secret
Old
09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
doulos

Please, please, please let the games start soon so we can talk about things that actually make one iota of difference like defense, goaltending, and scoring, and not caloric intake and the virtues of whether Eakins is going to start his own diet company for the team.

If the Oilers start losing NO ONE will care about Big Macs and the 3.2 extra pounds of weight that Ryan Jones has because he didn't eat "clean" enough. What they will care about is the fact that he gave the puck away in his own end.

Now, in the spirit of the offseason craziness, I would like to put forward that all team players must start wearing lucky charm bracelets and rub their bellies 3 times before entering the locker room each day.

Come on Preseason!!!

Old
09-11-2013, 09:31 PM
darkwave09

vCash: 502
Noob GM's play left wingers as centers. There are still serviceable players out there.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
so now we gotta get chefs for 20+ yr olds ?? should we hire maids to clean their homes and care takers to whipe their bums ??
they are men and should be given their independence.
When you have millions of dollars invested in a kid, I think you probably have a right to tell him to eat properly. And if that requires a private chef, awesome. Nuge, Eberle and Hall have all talked before about how they don't know how to cook. Well, if they had someone there to cook them healthy, food and teach them some things that would be awesome.

I'm actually dead serious that the Oilers should hire Mike Dolce for a month or two to live with the kids and teach them some stuff. He's done amazing things for fighters. And he really promotes a clean diet, that gives you a lot of energy. Also he uses a lot of spices and such that have various helpful properties for pain relief and muscle relaxation.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:39 PM
doulos

The idea of eating "clean" does not even make sense, and everyone disagrees on what it even means.

Keep pseudoscience away from the Oilers and focus on hockey thanks.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Is Belov going to make it here in time to play exhibition games? Is he already here?

Also, any news on Moroz?
Last we heard he still has immigration issues. We wait and see.

Moroz is still recovering from his knee problem last we heard, said he'd be re-evaluated on Monday. I don't think we'll see him in games.

Last edited by Soli: 09-11-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
The idea of eating "clean" does not even make sense, and everyone disagrees on what it even means.

Keep pseudoscience away from the Oilers and focus on hockey thanks.
It mostly means staying away from processed foods, because they lose a lot of nutritional value. And for athletes concentrating on proteins that don't take a long time to break down. Nutrition isn't a pseudoscience.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:06 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

So does the media always get food, or is this just a training camp sort of thing?

Old
09-11-2013, 10:07 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Last we heard he still has immigration issues. We wait and see.

Moroz is still recovering from his knee problem last we heard, said he'd be re-evaluated on Monday. I don't think we'll see him in games.
*cough*

<.<

>.>

thanks for the update on Moroz

Last edited by Soli: 09-11-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
*cough*

<.<

>.>

thanks for the update on Moroz
Anytime.

Your secret's safe with me.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Give me steel cut oats with pure cinnamon, almond milk and blueberries!

Old
09-11-2013, 10:24 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

So, at 4C we have one of Lander, Acton, Arcobello, Stretch, or Martindale*?

*note: in order of likeliness

Closed Thread