HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2013, 10:29 PM
  #151
Dangerdanger
Registered User
 
Dangerdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Anyone know which games will be televised? I know TSN is carrying one...

Dangerdanger is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 10:36 PM
  #152
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdanger View Post
Anyone know which games will be televised? I know TSN is carrying one...
Listings are here

Looks like there are only 3 preseason games on TV. Sportsnet is showing the Vancouver game on the 18th, CBC is on the 21st, and TSN is showing the Rangers game on the 24th.

40oz is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  #153
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Listings are here

Looks like there are only 3 preseason games on TV. Sportsnet is showing the Vancouver game on the 18th, CBC is on the 21st, and TSN is showing the Rangers game on the 24th.
So, only 2 that i can watch on TV.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 10:40 PM
  #154
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
So, only 2 that i can watch on TV.
Nope, 3, no excuses.

40oz is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 10:42 PM
  #155
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Nope, 3, no excuses.
Most people don't have SNET Pacific, I would assume, not to mention blackouts.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 10:51 PM
  #156
FlyingV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
It mostly means staying away from processed foods, because they lose a lot of nutritional value. And for athletes concentrating on proteins that don't take a long time to break down. Nutrition isn't a pseudoscience.
The term eating "clean" is more of an aim at eating foods that will improve your overall health. Meaning they contain much better micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) and overall better macro nutrient breakdown (fibre, unsaturated fats, good saturated fats etc.) and excluding bad saturated and trans fats, refined sugars, preservatives etc. In terms of actual weight management this doesn't mean much as calories are essentially the determinant of that, with some very minor exceptions. However for general health, and energy levels eating "clean" will benefit the body by giving it all the nutrients it needs for optimal performance.


Last edited by FlyingV: 09-11-2013 at 11:00 PM.
FlyingV is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:37 PM
  #157
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,418
vCash: 500
Okay can someone explain to me how on Earth Austin Fyten got a camp invite? Dude was Abney-like.

EDIT: And speaking of Abney, looks like he got a main camp invite as well.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:37 PM
  #158
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Hah, I forgot all about Ben Eager.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...905/story.html

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:43 PM
  #159
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,536
vCash: 50
Saw the pics of Smyth at testing today. I have never seen him in shape like this ever. The Eakins fitness level memo obviously got well read at the Smyth residence.

Seedling is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:48 PM
  #160
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Saw the pics of Smyth at testing today. I have never seen him in shape like this ever. The Eakins fitness level memo obviously got well read at the Smyth residence.
really? from his interview, I just got that he didn't do anything outside the norm for training.

links to pics?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:51 PM
  #161
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
It mostly means staying away from processed foods, because they lose a lot of nutritional value. And for athletes concentrating on proteins that don't take a long time to break down. Nutrition isn't a pseudoscience.
That's your definition, but depending on who you are talking to it also is associated with drinking lots of water, eating lots of small meals, avoiding flour, eating complex carbs eating lean meat, avoiding chemicals, avoiding pesticides, eating organic, avoiding trans fats, avoiding sugary juices, use fruits and vegetables as the bulk of your fiber/vitamins ... and it goes on and on.

Taken in isolation, most of these things are either true, or basically worthless, but harmless (like the whole drink X cups of water myth that still persist despite ANY evidence), with the odd completely controversial thing (organic) thrown in for good measure.

Eating clean is a marketing gimmick that people are buying into hook line and sinker because it's basically can mean anything a book seller or nutritionist wants it to mean.

Like everything else on this planet, a case of simple balance pretty much works. Want some chocolate? Great, but not 6. Want some McDonalds. Go for it, but twice a day is a bit much. Want a beer after work? Sure, but get hammered every weekend and it might be a sign you're overdoing it.

The Oilers need to focus on what they are paid to do - play hockey at the highest level. Distracting them with marketing gimmicks like so called "clean eating" is a total waste of time. I'm hopeful that Eakins will never take things to that degree, or worse, like some teams employing accupuncture ad the like.

Hockey. That's the point. Leave the ultra-micromanagement of diets to those who have nothing better to do with their lives and let the rest of us live balanced lives and not sweat the small stuff.

doulos is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:55 PM
  #162
Usual_Suspect
Registered User
 
Usual_Suspect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 3 hours South
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Grebeshkov article

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...043/story.html

Quote:
“I really appreciate that Craig is giving me a second chance in the NHL. He worked with me my first year. He was hard on me but it worked out pretty well. I had the best year and a half in the NHL under his coaching,” said Grebeshkov, who continues to be a strong puckhandler.
Belov update
Quote:
Grebeshkov’s fellow Russian defenceman Anton Belov, who signed a two-way, one-year contract, will likely be here in two days after discouraging visa issues with the Canadian Embassy.

“I played with him on the national team in some tournaments. It’ll be tough for him to go from the KHL to the NHL, especially with no time. We’re similar players. I won’t say who’s better. He’s not here yet. It took me longer than usual to get my visa too. I wanted to be here at the beginning of August to prepare myself, but got here four days ago. I think Belov will be here Friday,” said Grebeshkov.

Usual_Suspect is offline  
Old
09-11-2013, 11:59 PM
  #163
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
Interesting stuff. Lots of competition can only be a good thing with these guys. Getting excited!

doulos is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:01 AM
  #164
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
That's your definition, but depending on who you are talking to it also is associated with drinking lots of water, eating lots of small meals, avoiding flour, eating complex carbs eating lean meat, avoiding chemicals, avoiding pesticides, eating organic, avoiding trans fats, avoiding sugary juices, use fruits and vegetables as the bulk of your fiber/vitamins ... and it goes on and on.

Taken in isolation, most of these things are either true, or basically worthless, but harmless (like the whole drink X cups of water myth that still persist despite ANY evidence), with the odd completely controversial thing (organic) thrown in for good measure.

Eating clean is a marketing gimmick that people are buying into hook line and sinker because it's basically can mean anything a book seller or nutritionist wants it to mean.

Like everything else on this planet, a case of simple balance pretty much works. Want some chocolate? Great, but not 6. Want some McDonalds. Go for it, but twice a day is a bit much. Want a beer after work? Sure, but get hammered every weekend and it might be a sign you're overdoing it.

The Oilers need to focus on what they are paid to do - play hockey at the highest level. Distracting them with marketing gimmicks like so called "clean eating" is a total waste of time. I'm hopeful that Eakins will never take things to that degree, or worse, like some teams employing accupuncture ad the like.

Hockey. That's the point. Leave the ultra-micromanagement of diets to those who have nothing better to do with their lives and let the rest of us live balanced lives and not sweat the small stuff.
First of all, "eating clean" is a fairly general term for a reason. It can mean a lot of things to different people. However, molsonmuscle360 gave a fairly good summary of what the consensus of that term would mean.

Secondly, I don't understand your argument. You say focus on hockey, and that "clean eating" is a waste of time but wouldn't the results of eating a better balanced, healthier diet that can have the side effect of more energy and maintaining a higher fitness level help them be better at hockey? It's not like being healthier can hurt the players performance in any way, so I don't see the issue.

Gobo is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:05 AM
  #165
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
First of all, "eating clean" is a fairly general term for a reason. It can mean a lot of things to different people. However, molsonmuscle360 gave a fairly good summary of what the consensus of that term would mean.

Secondly, I don't understand your argument. You say focus on hockey, and that "clean eating" is a waste of time but wouldn't the results of eating a better balanced, healthier diet that can have the side effect of more energy and maintaining a higher fitness level help them be better at hockey? It's not like being healthier can hurt the players performance in any way, so I don't see the issue.
I'm saying "clean eating" means almost anything you want it to mean and is nothing more than marketing buzz.

doulos is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:10 AM
  #166
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Really excited to see Belov in action. Hopefully we won't be able to 'belov' how good he is.

Lindo is online now  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:14 AM
  #167
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,973
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
The Oilers need to focus on what they are paid to do - play hockey at the highest level. Distracting them with marketing gimmicks like so called "clean eating" is a total waste of time. I'm hopeful that Eakins will never take things to that degree, or worse, like some teams employing accupuncture ad the like.

Hockey. That's the point. Leave the ultra-micromanagement of diets to those who have nothing better to do with their lives and let the rest of us live balanced lives and not sweat the small stuff.
Micromanagement of your diet at the very least teaches you dedication and sacrifice, something this team has missed for quite some time. The extent of your focus on diet certainly won't help past a certain point, but I don't see how it would ever be a distraction.
Also, what's wrong with acupuncture? If it works, use it.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:14 AM
  #168
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Really excited to see Belov in action. Hopefully we won't be able to 'belov' how good he is.
I'm sure he'll be beloved by Oiler fans in no time.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:18 AM
  #169
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Micromanagement of your diet at the very least teaches you dedication and sacrifice, something this team has missed for quite some time. The extent of your focus on diet certainly won't help past a certain point, but I don't see how it would ever be a distraction.
Also, what's wrong with acupuncture? If it works, use it.
If the players are spending time worrying about caloric intake and the water content of their celery then they are focused on the wrong thing.

Acupuncture is as effective as magic. So if they want to bring in acupuncture then they should hire David Blain as well.

This is a hockey team, not the Dr Oz show.

doulos is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:21 AM
  #170
FlyingV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I'm saying "clean eating" means almost anything you want it to mean and is nothing more than marketing buzz.
I'll agree its a dumb term, but to most people it just means a healthy well-balanced diet that meets your nutritional needs while omitting harmful alternatives. Also I have no idea what myth you're referring to about water. Your body needs water for many reasons, but if you're referring to a set amount required obviously yeah thats a myth because everybody is different and many factors determine how much water you need to consume.

That all said, everyone who is all pro "clean eating", I'm sure most of you are the ones complaining about guys like Nurse, Marincin, Nuge etc needing to add weight. I don't think most of you realize how hard it would be for these guys to gain weight if all they ate was lean meat, rice, fruit, and veggies with how much they train day to day.

FlyingV is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:22 AM
  #171
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I'm sure he'll be beloved by Oiler fans in no time.
God damnit, how did i miss that one!

Lindo is online now  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:25 AM
  #172
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
I'll agree its a dumb term, but to most people it just means a healthy well-balanced diet that meets your nutritional needs while omitting harmful alternatives. Also I have no idea what myth you're referring to about water. Your body needs water for many reasons, but if you're referring to a set amount required obviously yeah thats a myth because everybody is different and many factors determine how much water you need to consume.

That all said, everyone who is all pro "clean eating", I'm sure most of you are the ones complaining about guys like Nurse, Marincin, Nuge etc needing to add weight. I don't think most of you realize how hard it would be for these guys to gain weight if all they ate was lean meat, rice, fruit, and veggies with how much they train day to day.
Hydration is super important, but just that there is no magic bullet with how much to drink.

I'm a little touchy on some of this stuff since I had a really bad experience with a total wingnut of a nutritionist that screwed some people up that I know and then left town to go do it somewhere else.

I'll try and tone it down, sorry.

doulos is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:27 AM
  #173
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Most people don't have SNET Pacific, I would assume, not to mention blackouts.
Son of a b****.

I didn't notice that, why on earth wouldnt they air this on Sportsnet West too? Instead it's connected, then some fox football show, and then repeating connected. Great...

40oz is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:32 AM
  #174
FlyingV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Hydration is super important, but just that there is no magic bullet with how much to drink.

I'm a little touchy on some of this stuff since I had a really bad experience with a total wingnut of a nutritionist that screwed some people up that I know and then left town to go do it somewhere else.

I'll try and tone it down, sorry.
Lol its all good. I'm a huge fitness and nutrition enthusiast and studying kinesiology so I could talk about this stuff all day.

FlyingV is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 12:45 AM
  #175
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Son of a b****.

I didn't notice that, why on earth wouldnt they air this on Sportsnet West too? Instead it's connected, then some fox football show, and then repeating connected. Great...
Clearly, we are in the pacific division.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.