HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 01:57 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
God damnit, how did i miss that one!
don't worry, Gene's going to catch them all and become a pun master.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:05 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Someone in charge of the testing told me Ference absolutely crushed the tests. Had another level than the other players.

Doesn't mean a ton when it comes down to playing on the ice, but nice to know he's showing leadership in this department.

Labarbera had probably the worst, who cares though he's a goalie.

Old
09-12-2013, 03:50 AM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
So does the media always get food
Not if Terry Jones is the first to the building.

Old
09-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Soundwave

Judging by this Hall is starting to get considerably more ripped. Hopefully Ebs has been keeping up.

Old
09-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Not if Terry Jones is the first to the building.

You just know he will lead the crusade to get Eakins fired....Jones, will probably be THE most critical writer about Eakins, warranted or not...just because he took his donuts away.

Old
09-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post

You just know he will lead the crusade to get Eakins fired....Jones, will probably be THE most critical writer about Eakins, warranted or not...just because he took his donuts away.
I guess when I read articles written by Jones this season and he's critical of the coach I will see the "hole" in his argument...

Old
09-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Obligatory simpsons reference:

Old
09-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post

he's done it before. Jonesie seems to think he's a public crusader and not a scribe.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I'm saying "clean eating" means almost anything you want it to mean and is nothing more than marketing buzz.
I really don't know why you're so against micro managing diets. We are talking about multi million dollar investments and the instrument for these players are their body. You have to make sure they are working in prime optimal shape. As I said before, it's even more important an athlete knows exactly what goes into his/her body than your average Joe like us. Yes that BIG MAC with fries Eberle just killed at lunch time before the game will have a negative impact on his body.

Yes I brought up the term eating "clean" that apparently "spurned" you. How is this a marketing gimmick? This has been a term that's been around since I was a kid. But used intermittently with, eating "healthy". We use "Clean" now because healthy is much more broad with the amount of processed foods out there.

Anyways, if you can't get that optimal nutrition = optimal training that I don't know what to say.

You're obviously eat in moderation type of person, and I AGREE. However these high end athletes must be keep that temple of theirs in tremendous shape.

Where's Jeff Krushell when you need him.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
When you have millions of dollars invested in a kid, I think you probably have a right to tell him to eat properly. And if that requires a private chef, awesome. Nuge, Eberle and Hall have all talked before about how they don't know how to cook. Well, if they had someone there to cook them healthy, food and teach them some things that would be awesome.

I'm actually dead serious that the Oilers should hire Mike Dolce for a month or two to live with the kids and teach them some stuff. He's done amazing things for fighters. And he really promotes a clean diet, that gives you a lot of energy. Also he uses a lot of spices and such that have various helpful properties for pain relief and muscle relaxation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Personally I've said for years that the Oilers should hire a professional chef at least for the kids who's on call 24/7. Especially when I heard Hall/Eberle (kids being kids) would mostly eat out at Joeys or Earls as rookies (hopefully their diet has gotten better since then).

Especially Nugent Hopkins, we need to be sure he's getting a good 3000 decent calories a day.

What's a 70,000/year expense for a good chef when you're making $50+ million dollar investments in these kids?

It's like spending $300k on a Lamborghini but skimping on the engine oil.

Eakins' emphasis on endurance is fine and dandy, but I think strength training needs to be emphasized moreso. RNH is still way too skinny.
I just don't think the CBA would allow it. They have nutritionist on site, but 24/7 seems to be something to me that would go above and beyond the CBA.

That and what happens when the players complain to the PA that they are being forced to do things that aren't covered in the CBA?

Old
09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I just don't think the CBA would allow it. They have nutritionist on site, but 24/7 seems to be something to me that would go above and beyond the CBA.

That and what happens when the players complain to the PA that they are being forced to do things that aren't covered in the CBA?
I don't think you can really "force" someone to eat healthy with chefs, but they can ask the player in a way that they should have no choice? I do it all the time for work. And I'm sure parents do it for their kids. Red flags if the player goes against the team's request.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I really don't know why you're so against micro managing diets. We are talking about multi million dollar investments and the instrument for these players are their body. You have to make sure they are working in prime optimal shape. As I said before, it's even more important an athlete knows exactly what goes into his/her body than your average Joe like us. Yes that BIG MAC with fries Eberle just killed at lunch time before the game will have a negative impact on his body.

Yes I brought up the term eating "clean" that apparently "spurned" you. How is this a marketing gimmick? This has been a term that's been around since I was a kid. But used intermittently with, eating "healthy". We use "Clean" now because healthy is much more broad with the amount of processed foods out there.

Anyways, if you can't get that optimal nutrition = optimal training that I don't know what to say.

You're obviously eat in moderation type of person, and I AGREE. However these high end athletes must be keep that temple of theirs in tremendous shape.

Where's Jeff Krushell when you need him.

I agree 100% with Doulos and that eating clean is just a marketing term. Can you tell me what "clean" is? Is it low the American Eating Pyramid? Is it Paleo-- both totally different? Is it more carbs than protein? is it low fat? What is clean exactly?

Old
09-12-2013, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I don't think you can really "force" someone to eat healthy with chefs, but they can ask the player in a way that they should have no choice? I do it all the time for work. And I'm sure parents do it for their kids. Red flags if the player goes against the team's request.
I doubt it. They can't even ask Gagner and RNH to spend 10 minutes after practice to work on faceoffs. I don't even know what the problem is. Hall was one of the best players in the NHL last year, let him eat his KD.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

I'll just say, optimization of the diet = optimization to workout which is effectively what Eakin's want's to do.
But in reference to my INITIAL reply about being fit, being super fit is something that should be a given for all super athletes. And too much of it has been made of it by the media it's sickening. Torts in Vancouver has always sent out a letter detailing his workout expectations and a physical trainer with a video. His practices are notoriously hard. This is a normal thing.

Let's get these guys heads on straight, play the game hard, work hard on the ice and produce some results.

I only brought up nutrition because it's something they should look at if they expect peak athletic performance.

lol I give up. I'm outs on this thread.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle View Post
I agree 100% with Doulos and that eating clean is just a marketing term. Can you tell me what "clean" is? Is it low the American Eating Pyramid? Is it Paleo-- both totally different? Is it more carbs than protein? is it low fat? What is clean exactly?
Yeah this is like saying "organic" or "natural ingredients".

However, there is a difference between eating say, a Big Mac and a bowl of whole wheat pasta.

When you're eating simple, refined grains, the body breaks it down (into sugar, basically) extremely quickly. When you're eating whole grains, it's a complex carbohydrate that takes longer to digest and so you don't get hungry as fast. Which is why you could eat an entire bag of Doritos and feel like you haven't eaten anything - because you haven't really.

I'm pretty sure eating refined fast foods also has a negative effect on the body in terms of blood sugar and storing food as fat, but I can't remember.

Anyway, probably move this to the OT thread at this point.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I think the diet and nutrition debate has gone on long enough. Let's stick to the topic, please. Future posts about that will be deleted.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:15 AM
doulos

Are the players on the ice today or not until tomorrow?

Old
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Are the players on the ice today or not until tomorrow?
On TSN Eakins refers to a really difficult test they have to do today that not all players might be able to do. Not sure what it is though, he never states specifically. Sounds like a beep test kind of thing.... could be a bag skate?

Old
09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
On TSN Eakins refers to a really difficult test they have to do today that not all players might be able to do. Not sure what it is though, he never states specifically. Sounds like a beep test kind of thing.... could be a bag skate?
Edmonton Oilers Twitter just posted a vine video of some players doing time sprints on the ice

Old
09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Dabomb

Seeing how big Hall looks now in the interview yesterday has me very excited about this upcoming season. He couldn't work out very much last offseason with the shoulder surgery and still had an awesome year. His neck and shoulders look massive. You can tell how hard he's trained this summer.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
joestevens29

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 3m
#Caps Media Day. Unlike Edmonton. pic.twitter.com/eIASp0rBF0

Old
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 3m
#Caps Media Day. Unlike Edmonton. pic.twitter.com/eIASp0rBF0
Yep, and it shows.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
Edmonton Oilers Twitter just posted a vine video of some players doing time sprints on the ice
Excellent. Both punishing and purposeful. Bag skate v2.0

Old
09-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Paralyzer008

Painful amount of dead time on first day of Oilers camp. 10 minutes of actual skating in first 45 minutes - Rob Tychkowski

Old
09-12-2013, 11:46 AM
scid14

I really appreciate all the updates from the different sources, thanks!

Closed Thread