HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What's Going on with Pietrangelo's Contract Negotiations?

Old
08-12-2013, 11:34 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
What's Going on with Pietrangelo's Contract Negotiations?

I'm really surprised that the Blues have not yet signed him. Unless I missed something, he's their best player...and they currently have $7.6m in space.

Is he asking for something insane (I can't imagine he'd want more than Doughty $) ... or are they just trying to hardball him?

If he wants to make the Olympic team, he can't very well hold out for a couple of months...but do the Blues really want it to turn ugly?

Anyone heard anything about an offer sheet...I read a month or so ago that his priority was to re-sign, rather than pursue offer sheets. I did a cursory review on capgeek and it looks like, in the central, the Avs have enough room. In the Pacific, the Flames do. Everyone else is pretty tight.

Too bad the Hawks don't!

What's it going to take to get him signed? I'm really surprised that it's dragged on this long. I would have thought the Blues would have wanted him locked up.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:36 PM
thatsclassy

I hear you pietranglo is sick I don't understand why they haven't signed him yet either

thatsclassy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:38 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Good question. Any blues fans got insight on this. You know before all the Leafs, Flyers, and Habs fans jump in here about trading for him for pennies or other outlandish Crap.

stryfe604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:39 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
He wants 7 million 5 years or more they st louis wants 6 million and shorter. If look up nhl rumors on google is a few sites which will keep you updated on this and other things stepan etc...

I think is zero chance doesnt happen they are just taking their time. Work it out for best for both etc..

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Brodeur

Second contracts for players like Pietrangelo are tricky. Drew Doughty didn't sign until the waning days of the preseason a couple years ago. It's still early August, so it's not like he's missing any time yet.

Offer sheets at this point seem unlikely. Most teams don't have the cap space to even tender one (assuming Pietrangelo would even sign). St. Louis would more than likely match anything anyways.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
He wants 7 million 5 years or more they st louis wants 6 million and shorter. If look up nhl rumors on google is a few sites which will keep you updated on this and other things stepan etc...

I think is zero chance doesnt happen they are just taking their time. Work it out for best for both etc..
"5 years or more" is a tricky period, though. 5 years takes him to UFA (w/o any UFA years included). I can see why the Blues wouldn't be interested in simply buying out his remaining RFA years at 7 aav. But if Pietrangelo is willing to cough up UFA years (if they signed him for 8, they'd get 3 UFA years), then I don't see why the Blues wouldn't grab it.

Unless I've missed something, he's a fantastic player who is also very consistent and doesn't seem like the type who would suddenly go on a down swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Second contracts for players like Pietrangelo are tricky. Drew Doughty didn't sign until the waning days of the preseason a couple years ago. It's still early August, so it's not like he's missing any time yet.

Offer sheets at this point seem unlikely. Most teams don't have the cap space to even tender one (assuming Pietrangelo would even sign). St. Louis would more than likely match anything anyways.
I had the same thought...until I noticed the space the Avs had and thought that they could do a predatory offer sheet now they're in the same division as the Blues...knowing the Blues would match and they could suck up a bunch of cap space.

Old
08-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Face Of Bear

He wants Doughty's contract.

The season had to start before LA finally caved and gave it to him, I expect St. Louis to do the same.

Face Of Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:58 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

-insight. yes its rumored he wants 7m longterm while the club looks for an under 6m deal but this is pure speculation since both sides are very quiet about the negotiations.

-offer-sheets. he said on radio that he told his agent to tell other GMs he won't sign anywhere else. (I didn't hear that but several other HFers did).

-olympics. you are spot on, this is exactly why he shouldn't waste too much time and what gives us fans hope he won't sit out for too long.

if all is said and done he will still be with the Blues but his contract could be interesting

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
-offer-sheets. he said on radio that he told his agent to tell other GMs he won't sign anywhere else.
There are no words...

Twilight Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:26 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
-insight. yes its rumored he wants 7m longterm while the club looks for an under 6m deal but this is pure speculation since both sides are very quiet about the negotiations.

-offer-sheets. he said on radio that he told his agent to tell other GMs he won't sign anywhere else. (I didn't hear that but several other HFers did).

-olympics. you are spot on, this is exactly why he shouldn't waste too much time and what gives us fans hope he won't sit out for too long.

if all is said and done he will still be with the Blues but his contract could be interesting
do you know what period they're offering @ under 6? that seems really low for him.

Old
08-13-2013, 12:29 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Blues are playing hardball. He'll pull a Doughty and sign in the preseason.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
there's still time, and a few other key RFAs (Kadri, Cowen) have yet to sign as well.

Nazemlupul

He's still trying to see if he can retire and sign with the leafs.

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:45 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
He has the same agent as Doughty did. The negotiations are going about the same way as well. Its really no big deal a deal will get done.

No one really knows any of the real details of the negotiations it's all speculation.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Blues are in a tough spot. They have very little cap room left and the problem is Pietrangelo's play kind of regressed this year (I understand it being a short season and all) and the Blues want him to show them he can play like he did 11/12.

I agree with the Blues on this but he's going to be a very good player for a long time. Norris candidate year in and year out.'

So, if the Blues can't sign him to their desired $6 million long term range then it will be one year of $6 million then he'll put up 65 points and the Blues won't be able to sign him to an eight year deal at $8 million per.

Blues need to bite the bullet or it's going to cost them a lot more or they will lose him all together.

I think if something get's done long term it will be 6-8 years at $6.75 million per year which is fair for both sides.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:21 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Is this thread necessary?

Quote:
There has been dialogue between GM Doug Armstrong and Pietrangelo's agent, Don Meehan of Newport Sports Management,
Enough said, Meehan always pulls these kinds of shenanigans.

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:30 AM
aemoreira1981

Given what Hamonic, McDonagh, and Josi got (all just finished their ELCs and got signed to contracts that will end when they are UFA), I can't see Pietrangelo getting more than $6M per.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:34 AM
HavlatMach9

There's like a month left 'till training camp, what's the hurry? He's not in an unusual position.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Given what Hamonic, McDonagh, and Josi got (all just finished their ELCs and got signed to contracts that will end when they are UFA), I can't see Pietrangelo getting more than $6M per.
Pietrangelo is a much better than those 3 players, not a really a good comparison.

08-13-2013, 01:35 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

If the Blues would match anything, why don't they just give him what he wants?

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:37 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Matching an offer sheet is the last resort.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:38 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Is this thread necessary?

Enough said, Meehan always pulls these kinds of shenanigans.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
If you had 1 million dollars and your dream home potentially cost you 999,999 dollars but you could try to negotiate with the realtor to $750,000 so that you could still afford other things, would you still buy it immediately at $999,999?

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:49 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

He's a few days away from demanding a trade to the Flames for Chris Butler...

I love Pietrangelo. I think he'll win a Norris one day. He's good at everything. Doughty gets all the hype because he's more explosive, but I think Pietrangelo was the best defenseman in that draft.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:53 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazemlupul View Post
He's still trying to see if he can retire and sign with the leafs.
2025...Pietrangelo, Subban, Tavares, and Stamkos all decide to play their 'retirement year' with the Leafs. Unfortunately, given their contract demands, they're the only players the Leafs can afford to pay that year...so the team puts up the worst record in the history of the NHL...but the fans, no strangers to watching a 'losing team', a just excited that high profile guys from the GTA agreed to sign with the team and come out in droves to watch them...even though, having only iced 4 players, the Leafs fail to win a single game all year...amazingly, Stamkos scores 80 goals...even though at times he's, literally, the only Leaf on the ice.