HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing positions

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Duff

vCash: 500
Playing positions

I Just started playing hockey again after a 6-year retirement. (I played for about 6 or 7 years then quit.) I'm going to be playing beer league hockey and would like to know what is the ideal position to be on the ice depending on were the puck is. I play RW and the only positioning a really remember is when the puck is in your zone, let the Centre go in deep, while the wingers stay along the boards and cover the other teams D.

What other basic positioning for wingers do I need to know? I think I got most of the offense zone positioning down, but I'm open to any helpful advice.

Can't wait to get out playing again, its been a while.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:08 AM
teamstag

This might not be helpful at all but I just pick a man and stay on him. Works well for me.

Try it .

Old
08-20-2005, 12:24 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Yeah, just stay high on the boards so you give your d-men something to pass to... Don't let that point man get away though if he jumps into the slot or soemthing like that.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:18 PM
YoungJames

Well, the following is pretty obvious: when the oppsite team has the puck in your own d-zone, allways try to stay "inside the game", meaning that you try to stay between the puck and the defenceman you´re staying with.

Old
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Hockeylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo
Well, the following is pretty obvious: when the oppsite team has the puck in your own d-zone, allways try to stay "inside the game", meaning that you try to stay between the puck and the defenceman you´re staying with.
Two points:
1) Let's say I'm the defenseman who is covering the right-wing. What if he moves to his defense line and he stays there with his defenseman. Should I follow him right away, or should I wait that one of the three goes down? It can become very confusing when the other team players switch positions and run around. If you happen to chase the ball in the corner and your man moves in the meantime, you get sometimes lost.

2) When stuck in your own zone, is it a good idea to have one the wingers go and help the defensemen and center near the net and have only one winger covering the defensemen? I remember Guy Carbonneau and Brian Skrudland doing a terrific job at it. If you should decided to do so, how far should you stay from the defensemen? Enough to cut a pass between them, I suppose?

Closed Thread