HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

USA Hockey need help!!!

Old
12-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Buffalo716Sabres

vCash: 500
USA Hockey need help!!!

Hey Guys,
So my mens league team got into a verbal confrontation after a game a couple weeks back. It was really just some chirpin in the hand shake line and some yelling, nothing came of it. But myself and a guy from their team were sent off (im guessing to make an example) with "match penalties".... That's fine, but then I get a call from the league to discuss it and the referee reported that "the two players repeatedly threw punches and pushed eachother, and refused to leave the ice as they tried to get back to one another". Which is NOT NOT NOT at all what happened... actually I don't think anyone from either team put their hands on one another, it was ONLY chirpin... and me and the other guy know eachother to so we've talked about this and we're FLOORED that the ref blatantly LIED in his report. So now we have a hearing with the head official in the area and a minimum 30 suspension through USA hockey for something we didn't even do. Basically we're wondering what we can do to notify USA Hockey that a ref lied in the report like that. We're both fired up about this. You want to suspend us for a game or two for chirping, fine... I'll take it like a man and I'll see you back on the ice in 2 weeks... but to suspend us for a fight that never happened is ridiculous. Please help.. this is garbage... stuff like this makes me hate officials even more than I do... how can you lie like that, what benefit are you getting out of saying there was a fight when there wasn't? Does it make you look good or something?

Buffalo716Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Terry Yake

(mod edit)a hearing with a head official in the area?

i've never even heard of anything like that. in all the leagues i've played in, consequences stemming from fights and related incidents are dealt with by the rink and typically you just get a couple game suspension. 30 games is pretty ridiculous though, even if let's say you guys did get into a fight. it's also confusing as to why USA Hockey would be handling this incident instead of just the league and the rink?

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-27-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: filter issues.
Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Buffalo716Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
(mod edit) a hearing with a head official in the area?

i've never even heard of anything like that. in all the leagues i've played in, consequences stemming from fights and related incidents are dealt with by the rink and typically you just get a couple game suspension. 30 games is pretty ridiculous though, even if let's say you guys did get into a fight. it's also confusing as to why USA Hockey would be handling this incident instead of just the league and the rink?
That's what I'm saying!!! But this league isn't ran by a rink like traditional mens leagues... it's an "organization" that rents out ice times at rinks in the area and schedules games accordingly... I don't understand why USA hockey is involved either. I know a guy who got into a legit fist fight during a mens league game and he only got a 2 game rink suspension....

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-27-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: quote.
Buffalo716Sabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:10 PM
rinkrat22

the match penalty should be a 30 DAY suspension, not a 30 game. but it still sounds like BS

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 08:18 AM
shoeshine boy

and it may be 30 days or until your hearing. that's the way our league does it. some guys get lucky and if the board is meeting right away they might not miss many games. some guys get unlucky and sit for 3 weeks if we've just had a meeting.
here's my advice as someone who sits on a league board: try to get your hearing scheduled asap. before you go get as many eyewitness reports as you can. if the game had a scorekeeper get in touch with him/her. this person is going to be your most unbiased (usually) witness.
when you go for your hearing don't call the ref a liar. simply say that the ref is mistaken. maybe some of your teammates did get their hands up and the ref simply got the wrong jersey numbers. be professional and courteous when you talk to the hearing officer. guys who come in ranting and raving and blaming other people typically don't get anywhere in these situations.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote