HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Major NHL reorg; increase in revenue, international events planned (UPD: Post 38)

Old
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Major NHL reorg; increase in revenue, international events planned (UPD: Post 38)

ChrisBottaNHL 7:04am via Twitter for iPhone In internal memo, NHL details major staff re-org and plan to add $1 billion in natl revenue in 3 years. Story at @SBJSBD.

ChrisBottaNHL 8:29am via Twitter for iPhone
Besides World Cup of Hockey, NHL plans to a run a Champions Cup tournament featuring top NHL and European clubs by 2016. @SBJSBD

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...NHL-reorg.aspx
(Behind paywall)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:45 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

That's what I've wanted! A Champions League type hockey tourney.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:56 AM
smithy

This would be great news. A transcontinental Champions League would be a great advantage for the NHL (as the NHL is uniquely suited of the big 4 North American sports to be able to do this).

smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
cutchemist42

I will wait on the details of the World Cup before getting excited. The last few stank of being too NHL-centric to the point where essentially most profits were absorbed by the NHL/NHLPA with little handouts to the national federations.

The NHL stepping on board for European competition is great also, as long as its equal. I want to see the top teams including the SC champ and Euro champ from both sides playing.

If those things happen, I will like the changes and be extremly happy the NHL is branching out more then simply playing NHL games in Europe. International competiton/cooperation is only good for the sport.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:28 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Sigh. I hate seeing NHL players and teams wasting time on this international crap.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:38 AM
optimus2861

I'd like to know how you convince the players to give a damn about such a tournament. Either it takes place after the playoffs, and the players say, "To hell with this, we're all beat up after our playoffs, we're not doing it," or it takes place in the preseason when players say, "We're not getting hurt in this cockamamie tournament before our season even starts."

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ional-revenue/

NBC PHT with some tidbits quoted from SBJ article

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Sigh. I hate seeing NHL players and teams wasting time on this international crap.
Yeah, me too. the regular season is already too long as it is.

That shortened season really showed higher tempo, faster paced, more exciting hockey in the playoffs last year. The players looked to be at peak performance level, as a opposed to a more tired, and beaten up quality in the usual long drawn out season.

The last thing I wanna see is more wear and tear created tournaments in which not all players will be putting out maximum effort.

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:50 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post

That shortened season really showed higher tempo, faster paced, more exciting hockey in the playoffs last year. The players looked to be at peak performance level, as a opposed to a more tired, and beaten up quality in the usual long drawn out season.

The last thing I wanna see is more wear and tear created tournaments in which not all players will be putting out maximum effort.
Ideally I actually wish the NHL season were closer to the European length. I loved the season last year.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I'd like to know how you convince the players to give a damn about such a tournament. Either it takes place after the playoffs, and the players say, "To hell with this, we're all beat up after our playoffs, we're not doing it," or it takes place in the preseason when players say, "We're not getting hurt in this cockamamie tournament before our season even starts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post

Agreed with all of the above. No one will care, it will just be fluffy exhibition games, and it's going to be especially hard on the "top teams" who ostensibly will be the ones with the longest post-season play anyway. Just to generate more revenue to share? Bogus.

They need to cut down the season, not come up with BS ways to extend it further.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ional-revenue/

NBC PHT with some tidbits quoted from SBJ article
Found something useful here:
The league expects its “gross national revenue” — as opposed to the revenue generated by individual teams — to grow to “nearly 20 percent of league-wide hockey-related revenue,” according to the memo. That would be up from 7 percent in 2005-06, reports SBJ.
So..... finally. If the league reaches $4 billion in three years, the HRR growth from the Cdn TV deals, merchandising/sponsorships and the outdoor and Euro games will up the central revenues to 20% of the total, or $800 MM. I'm guessing that $500-600 MM will be national TV contracts.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:43 PM
chasespace

If the league reaches $4billion in revenue they could keep 25%($1billion) for league resources and then divvy up the remaining $3billion($100,000,000 per team) around the league like the NFL does so teams can actually afford to spend above the cap-floor.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:49 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
That's what I've wanted! A Champions League type hockey tourney.
And what you get is something like those pre-season friendly type tournaments that occur every year.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Greyhounds

How 'bout the losers of the conference finals trudge off to Europe, and play for this "Champions Cup"? More or less alternate days from the Stanley Cup finals, sorting out the time diff somehow.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Sounds like something that would just add on to a championship hangover, if you asked me.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:04 PM
htpwn

Like the Champions League idea. Still hate the World Cup one.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
And what you get is something like those pre-season friendly type tournaments that occur every year.
Last year the final game of the playoffs for the KHL was on April 17, the world championships starts this year on May 9 and the NHL season ends on April 13.

Given that could you fit a 8 team tourney from April 21st - April 28th, pitting the 4 champions from KHL, Sweden, Finland & Sweden against the top 4 teams that did not make the playoffs in the NHL.

The tourney could be hosted by the 4 NHL teams and a prize pool would be created that would make it beneficial for the players, owners and Euro Clubs to participate.

This would give fans something to root for if their team looked to be missing the playoffs and if lucrative enough you could see teams loading up at the deadline to try and make it in.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:13 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
If the league reaches $4billion in revenue they could keep 25%($1billion) for league resources and then divvy up the remaining $3billion($100,000,000 per team) around the league like the NFL does so teams can actually afford to spend above the cap-floor.
Unfortunately, the League cannot simply "divvy up the remaining $3billion". It's not theirs - it is generated by and belongs to the individual teams.

Assuming the $4B and 20% numbers - the League's Centrally Generated League Revenues would be ~$800M and the local revenues generated by the teams would be ~$3.2B.

Unless you plan on somehow convincing the Leafs, Rangers, Habs, etc to just give the League all their revenues to redistribute evenly.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Chileiceman

They should use some of that centrally generated money on improving the NHL Network

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhounds View Post
How 'bout the losers of the conference finals trudge off to Europe, and play for this "Champions Cup"? More or less alternate days from the Stanley Cup finals, sorting out the time diff somehow.
Like this as well - would have to be a significant windfall for players and teams to do so.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:22 PM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Unfortunately, the League cannot simply "divvy up the remaining $3billion". It's not theirs - it is generated by and belongs to the individual teams.

Assuming the $4B and 20% numbers - the League's Centrally Generated League Revenues would be ~$800M and the local revenues generated by the teams would be ~$3.2B.

Unless you plan on somehow convincing the Leafs, Rangers, Habs, etc to just give the League all their revenues to redistribute evenly.
So the NHL and its teams want to keep teams in money losing cities such as Phoenix, but don't wan't to help said teams earn money?

DyerMaker66* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:24 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
Last year the final game of the playoffs for the KHL was on April 17, the world championships starts this year on May 9 and the NHL season ends on April 13.

Given that could you fit a 8 team tourney from April 21st - April 28th, pitting the 4 champions from KHL, Sweden, Finland & Sweden against the top 4 teams that did not make the playoffs in the NHL.

The tourney could be hosted by the 4 NHL teams and a prize pool would be created that would make it beneficial for the players, owners and Euro Clubs to participate.

This would give fans something to root for if their team looked to be missing the playoffs and if lucrative enough you could see teams loading up at the deadline to try and make it in.
I agree with idea of final four but do not agree with champions of KHL, Sweden, Finland & Sweden (typo? Switzerland?). Sweden and Finland dont have quality enough teams, much better teams are non-russian KHL teams.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 05:00 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
More central revenues? count me in!

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Jonas1235

I wouldn't be surprised if they increased the player limit to 25, so they don't have to keep calling people up for these extra games. NHLPA might not like it, but players would rather be in NHL instead of making 100k in AHL.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Tough Guy

This all sounds incredibly dumb.

Do they expect players to play 150 games per year now?

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote