HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013-14 Training Camp Thread

Old
09-16-2013, 01:00 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
How did Drouin look? Any chance for him to play on the Stamkos line?

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:01 PM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
Even if the forward covered for him correctly, do you really want a forward defending the point when Stamkos and Marty are on the ice against you.
No but it probably would have changed the outcome of the play.

FDfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWordArmy View Post
How did Drouin look? Any chance for him to play on the Stamkos line?
Doubt it.
He was pretty much invisible except when Nate Thompson was schooling him in the faceoff circle (expected because he's being tried at Center).

He had a better 2nd half with his linemates Namestnikov and Connolly (did most of the work).
In his defense, he was playing against Crombeen / Thompson / Palat. This line flashed all over the place and Palat looked like the best Forward on the ice imo.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Drouin get his 9 games and then be sent back to Halifax.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:16 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Doubt it.
He was pretty much invisible except when Nate Thompson was schooling him in the faceoff circle (expected because he's being tried at Center).

He had a better 2nd half with his linemates Namestnikov and Connolly (did most of the work).
In his defense, he was playing against Crombeen / Thompson / Palat. This line flashed all over the place and Palat looked like the best Forward on the ice imo.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Drouin get his 9 games and then be sent back to Halifax.
Oh, wow. Very surprising, but then again the kid is still very young.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
HoseEmUp

Wish I could of watched this.

Good to read that Palat and Connolly played well. How was Barberio?

HoseEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:57 PM
2015cupwinners

I thought Barberio showed his good puck skills a few times, and he battled for the puck better than he did in his 2 games last year. He did pretty well. Matt Carle with better hands.

2015cupwinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
NHLeitner

Yeah, I'm not the biggest Barberio fan and I thought he did pretty well today. Grain of salt, I only got to watch the second half....

Also, was it just me or did anyone else think that Witkowski did alright today?

NHLeitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

philadelphiaflyers.com is apparently going to stream their game with the Caps tonight. Vinny should be in this game.

The Flyers are actually doing a split squad game against the Leafs as well. Not sure about the streaming on that.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:59 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Recap video
Cooper after the scrimmage video

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolt...medium=twitter
Quote:
The rosters will be shuffled for Tuesday’s scrimmage, Cooper said, with some players who didn’t play Monday getting an opportunity. The scrimmage is open to the public starting at 11:30 a.m. and will be streamed live on www.tampabaylightning.com, with radio voice Dave Mishkin providing the play-by-play.
Quote:
Twice during the scrimmage, Cooper stopped play to offer direction about what he wanted to see in particular situations, though he said not to expect that on Tuesday.

“Sometimes when you let it wait, all of a sudden the scenario is forgotten,” he said. “So, I felt it was important to go out there in a few situations and talk about it. Guys have to learn ...and we have a lot of work to do. But if they keep giving the same effort they have been giving, this is a great base to start with.’’

Old
09-16-2013, 06:01 PM
2015cupwinners

It was just a scrimmage, but let's pretend Connolly and Palat continue to outplay everyone else and unexpectedly make the team. What would that do to the lineup.

Malone-Stamkos-St.Louis
Killorn-Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Connolly
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen
Pyatt

Pretty good looking lineup. Drouin would spend a year in the CHL, Panik would get called up if Malone gets injured. If Filp struggles offensively, he and Johnson could switch lines. Fourth line has grit and energy. I'm not saying it will go this way, but it's a very viable lineup. I'm not sure when our first cuts will be, some teams have already begun, but it won't be long before we find out.

2015cupwinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they told Drouin to go back down to the C and work on being a center.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they told Drouin to go back down to the C and work on being a center.
Can you imagine all the bust tall that would happened on the main boards. And all the stupid trades...dear god.

Yzlamic Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Glide5

Quote:
Hmm... this would be curious to see. We need the center depth for sure, but I wonder if Drouin would be better off on the wing. I guess we can all just wait and see on this one. Hopefully he looks better tomorrow.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
It was just a scrimmage, but let's pretend Connolly and Palat continue to outplay everyone else and unexpectedly make the team. What would that do to the lineup.

Malone-Stamkos-St.Louis
Killorn-Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Connolly
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen
Pyatt

Pretty good looking lineup. Drouin would spend a year in the CHL, Panik would get called up if Malone gets injured. If Filp struggles offensively, he and Johnson could switch lines. Fourth line has grit and energy. I'm not saying it will go this way, but it's a very viable lineup. I'm not sure when our first cuts will be, some teams have already begun, but it won't be long before we find out.
I wouldn't say it's unexpected if they both make the team. Palat played good on his call up and Connolly has the talent we've just been waiting for him to put the effort in.

We are paying Filp way too much to play on the 3rd line, we can move him to the wing and drop Killorn to 3rd line, move up Johnson and Thompson, Pyatt to 4C and Palat for Labrie. We'd have lots of options for the 2/3rd lines. I don't like Drouin at C as I don't think he's big enough or has the two way game. Prefer his playmaking on the wing. Hopefully Namestnikov shows he can be a 2C this year so we can be set for the future.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:13 PM
HoseEmDown

Anyone know when they plan on announcing which prospects are going back to their clubs in junior or Syracuse or cut? Expect Erne and Koekkoek to go till the end of preseason.

Old
09-16-2013, 08:25 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Anyone know when they plan on announcing which prospects are going back to their clubs in junior or Syracuse or cut? Expect Erne and Koekkoek to go till the end of preseason.
I heard they weren't making cuts until after the 4 preseason games. If that's true guess it means they are giving everybody a good long look.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan

Why do people always say Drouin is so small? He isn't that small... 5'11", 186 lbs. That's not that small. Could he stand to gain a few pounds? Sure, but he's only 18. Stamkos is only an inch taller and 4 pounds heavier.

Also, I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the kid in my previous post. Just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:45 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I heard they weren't making cuts until after the 4 preseason games. If that's true guess it means they are giving everybody a good long look.
http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2013...forward_6.html
Quote:
The Syracuse players will then leave Sept. 23 for the Mary Brown Cup preseason tournament in St. John's, Newfoundland.
The 4th preseason game is the 21st and the 5th is on the 24th, so that sounds right.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:38 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Why do people always say Drouin is so small? He isn't that small... 5'11", 186 lbs. That's not that small. Could he stand to gain a few pounds? Sure, but he's only 18. Stamkos is only an inch taller and 4 pounds heavier.

Also, I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the kid in my previous post. Just saying it wouldn't surprise me.
He's not small in normal terms but in hockey he's below average sized. With Stamkos, Thompson, Filppula being only slightly bigger and Johnson really small there's no size down the middle. You'd ideally like one big bodied C to either be a matchup problem or shut down guy. Namestnikov isn't big either so we do need some size going forward. We are really gonna miss Vinny this year.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:02 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Michelle Jingris?

Does that chick know that she can go by Zhingraw?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Sky04

What's the reasoning behind moving Drouin to center again?

Makes absolutely no sense to me, kids a natural winger if we want a center, draft one or trade for one, not just force some kid we think would make a great center into one.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Pontius Palat
Blame Gudas Iscariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post

Makes absolutely no sense to me, kids a natural winger if we want a center, draft one or trade for one, not just force some kid we think would make a great center into one.
They're trying him out at centre to see if it's a better fit. If it works and he's better then we just made our team better. If it doesn't then we only wasted a couple preseason games of winger development. They're not permanently moving him nor are they forcing him into being a centre.

Maybe the only reason he's a "natural winger" was so he could play with Mackinnon easier.

I'm fine with Cooper & Co. fully evaluating all of our prospects to make sure we're not missing out on potential to maximize. It's been a foregone conclusion since draft day that he'll get 9 games in the NHL. I'm sure we'll be able to see plenty of winger Drouey then.

Pontius Palat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:16 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Cooper has told players he expects them to play a gritty, physical, sandpaper-like game. And if things get rough, he expects players to stick up for each other with a mentality he compared to a "wolf pack."

"When you play the game hard, eventually you're going to (tick) somebody off," Cooper said at the Tampa Bay Times Forum. "When that happens, you can't run to the back of the line. You have to stick up for yourselves, and that's what we talk about, doing that as a unit."

"The message is clear: You stick up for your teammates and you play hard-nosed," said right wing Dana Tyrell, who played for Cooper last season at Syracuse, which was second in the AHL with 99 fights. "Everybody knows he likes to score goals and defense comes first. But if push comes to shove, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes for the team."
Quote:
Even so, Cooper said, "There's a little bit of intimidation still involved, and if you can pull that edge ahead of somebody else, why wouldn't you take advantage of that? You can play a brand of hockey where a team looks at the game and says, 'This is going to be a tough one. We're going to have to button the chin straps.' It can wear on teams."
Quote:
"This is a hard way to play. We have to build a mind-set. But in saying that, players have not gotten to this level without having some sort of fight in them. When it becomes part of your DNA and you see the results, then it just becomes another habit. But it takes time. You need players with the right fame of mind, but it's easier to build a wolf pack than having a lone wolf do it."
Quote:
Said Radko Gudas, who played three years for Cooper in the AHL: "Finish your checks and do the little things more physical. It will start to get into the mentality of the team from one player to another."
Quote:
"Not that it wasn't there in the past year," Tampa Bay right wing B.J. Crombeen said. "But we're going to make sure it's there every single night and every guy is willing to do what it takes to help the team stand together."

And that, Neilson said, builds bonds: "That's what you're talking about when you win that one-goal game and you're in the dressing room sweating together, bleeding together. It translates to good things in the locker room."
Quote:
Actually, the Lightning fought a lot last season. Its 31 bouts were fifth in the NHL, and Crombeen led the league with 14. Still, there is no true heavyweight. Not that it matters to Cooper.

"You can say Team A is really tough because they have the toughest guy in the league," he said. "But I'll take the team with a bunch of guys that game it out. That is the tough team."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...htning/2142265

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:39 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Really like that Gudas quote. Guy's a tough mofo.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:43 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post

They didn't like that the puck was never on his stick in the rookie tournament. They tried him at center to see if he could get more puck possession time.

Doesn't work if he never wins faceoffs.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote