HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bo Horvat

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
What if Domi makes Phoenix?

I don't think it will happen, but Horvat will just have to make do without him like he did last season.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:52 PM
jigsaw99

vCash: 500
Quote:
than we can see what happens when Hovart play on a team without Domi.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:53 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
He'll be sent back to London, which is the right thing to do. He'll be the main go-to-player there, likely the captain (or so I've heard rumoured around), and will experience a Memorial Cup run. All valuable experience yet for an 18 year old to experience.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Knight444

Caught the game tonight. Bo looked uncharacteristically tentative. Don't sweat it, he's going to be a really good two-way player in the NHL - it just might take some time.

I'll bet you'll see a completely different player at next year's camp. It took him a bit of time to become a high-end OHLer as well. As a 16 year old Dale and Mark Hunter relegated him to mostly a fourth line role. It was only last season, once he gained confidence and matured physically, that he emerged as an elite player in all three zones. I'd expect a similar trajectory in terms of his NHL career.

He'll benefit from going back to London and captaining a team through a deep playoff run and into the Memorial Cup.

I still think he projects as a 60-70pt. elite two-way forward in the NHL once he's fully developed. He's the kind of guy you win with.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:32 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight444 View Post
Caught the game tonight. Bo looked uncharacteristically tentative. Don't sweat it, he's going to be a really good two-way player in the NHL - it just might take some time.

I'll bet you'll see a completely different player at next year's camp. It took him a bit of time to become a high-end OHLer as well. As a 16 year old Dale and Mark Hunter relegated him to mostly a fourth line role. It was only last season, once he gained confidence and matured physically, that he emerged as an elite player in all three zones. I'd expect a similar trajectory in terms of his NHL career.

He'll benefit from going back to London and captaining a team through a deep playoff run and into the Memorial Cup.

I still think he projects as a 60-70pt. elite two-way forward in the NHL once he's fully developed. He's the kind of guy you win with.

Dont worry, the hand wringing and sky-is-falling act is regular fare on these boards. We are certain cup champs if we win this game tonite and tanking for #1 when we lose. Sadly Bo Horvat will be a victim (on these boards at least) of the same bi-polar swings probably for the rest of his presumably long NHL career.

But I do think he's looked a bit over his head which, while not what you hope for, is understandable for a kid who relies on smarts and possession hockey during his first taste of the NHL. A full year as a top line guy (I hope) shouldering the offensive load, then hopefully a big role at the WJC and finally a big playoff and Mem Cup should all help advance his development tremendously. And given the glowing reports about his character and work ethic I am confident he'll use the first taste to identify the areas he needs to work on and set about doing that. If he has a tough year in junior I'll be worried but certainly not based on two preseason games.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:34 AM
arsmaster

Bo looks unsure of himself. I wouldn't say over his head. The knights fan had it right. He looks incredibly tentative.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:39 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Not saying this applies to Bo Horvat, but Joacim Eriksson said his first NHL camp was tough because he was in awe of the competition, the speed of the game in the NHL, the size of players etc. I think the possibility of Horvat being wide-eyed isn't out of realm. Horvat isn't even strong enough to handle NHL-sized opponents yet, and that takes away a lot from his game. He tries to throw a hit, and barely moves the other player. Puck battles he gets out muscled.

He's 18 years old, so it's highly expected.

Old
09-19-2013, 07:54 AM
F A N

I suggested this in another thread. A prospect having a poor 1st camp or even not being NHL ready, however disappointing it is, has little significance. Steven Stamkos is a prime example of a highly regarded prospect (in reality as highly regarded as they come) who had a "disappointing" camp showing and really wasn't any good to start his career. Nikolai Zherdev was a superior goal scorer in his draft year to guys like Perry, Carter, and Parise. Heck, he was even better two years after he was drafted. Not saying Zherdev wasn't a talented player in his own right, but it's all about projection and a many star players took some time before they blossomed into stars.

Old
09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
crazyforhockey

Good points...would also add that when you have a highly prospect laden roster for a preseason game...it's hard to get rhythm or make progress in a game.
Nurse looked terrible in the prospects camp.but playing last night on a mostly set roster he looked more solid.

So will be curious by next game or the game after how Horvath or shinkaruk look with most vets playing as well as all three pairings able to get the puck up to the forwards quickly and without turnovers,orgtying trapped in their own zone.

The solid roster may mask some current deficiencies or support those rookies

Old
09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Then he'll play with McCarron, and have presumably a great year as well. They didn't play together much at all last year, so I think Bo can handle the load offensively

Old
09-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Knight444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
Then he'll play with McCarron, and have presumably a great year as well. They didn't play together much at all last year, so I think Bo can handle the load offensively
In addition to McCarron the Knights have Chris Tierney (2nd Rd. San Jose), Josh Anderson (4th Rd. Columbus), Remi Elie (2nd Rd. Dallas), Kyle Platzer (4th Rd. Edmonton) as well as a couple of 16 and 17 year olds who project in the top two rounds in the next two seasons and a couple of veterans who may not pan out as NHLers, but who are excellent juniors. This is not to mention a powerplay with Olli Maatta (1st Rd. Pittsburgh) and Nikita Zadorov (1st Rd. Buffalo) on the blueline. Bo will have plenty of talent to support him whether or not Max Domi returns.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
In addition to McCarron the Knights have Chris Tierney (2nd Rd. San Jose), Josh Anderson (4th Rd. Columbus), Remi Elie (2nd Rd. Dallas), Kyle Platzer (4th Rd. Edmonton) as well as a couple of 16 and 17 year olds who project in the top two rounds in the next two seasons. This is not to mention a powerplay with Olli Maatta (1st Rd. Pittsburgh) and Nikita Zadorov (1st Rd. Buffalo) on the blueline. Bo will have plenty of talent to support him whether or not Max Domi returns.
Not only that but pre-trade deadline ... teams that are hosting the Memorial Cup tend to stack their roster via trades to improve their chances.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:13 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
In addition to McCarron the Knights have Chris Tierney (2nd Rd. San Jose), Josh Anderson (4th Rd. Columbus), Remi Elie (2nd Rd. Dallas), Kyle Platzer (4th Rd. Edmonton) as well as a couple of 16 and 17 year olds who project in the top two rounds in the next two seasons and a couple of veterans who may not pan out as NHLers, but who are excellent juniors. This is not to mention a powerplay with Olli Maatta (1st Rd. Pittsburgh) and Nikita Zadorov (1st Rd. Buffalo) on the blueline. Bo will have plenty of talent to support him whether or not Max Domi returns.
Thanks for the insight. Nice to have Knights fans weigh in on Horvat and his situation

Old
09-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Knight444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
Thanks for the insight. Nice to have Knights fans weigh in on Horvat and his situation
No problem. I love the kid. I really think he's going to be a solid player for you guys. He just brings every intangible you could possibly want. And for what it's worth, most Knights fans would agree with me.

If there are weaknesses to his game right now, it's that he needs to work at his offensive game (he could be a better finisher than he is - this is the main reason I think another year in junior where he can put up 80+ points would serve his development well), his foot speed (you could see last night how he couldn't differentiate himself from the pace of the play with his speed as Shinkaruk did on a couple of occassions) and I'd really like to see him develop a bit of a mean streak.

Otherwise, the kid blocks shots, has exemplary leadership skills, is an excellent passer (he made a nice little play on a give and go with Hansen last night that resulted in a scoring chance you might recall), is excellent in the faceoff dot, and plays a two-way centre game as well as just about anybody in junior hockey. He keeps a low centre of balance which means he's very difficult to knock off the puck when he has control.

Although Patrice Bergeron has been thrown around quite a bit as a comparison, I think the most comparable player for his style of game might be Rod Brind'Amour with perhaps a bit more offensive upside and a bit less nastiness. Both profiled as quasi-power forwards, played a solid, smart two way game, had excellent leadership skills, were excellent in the face off circle and could chip in offensively on a reasonably consistent basis.

Old
09-19-2013, 01:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Wow! What a factory you guys have in London. Must be fun to watch all of the future NHL'ers!
Love the city by the way as I lived there for 7 years many years ago.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
arsmaster

Really liked his game last night. I thought the shift with Gaunce and Sestito in the mid first set the tone for the rest of the game.

I'm also thankful Sestito fumbled that puck into the net, so there is some positives for Bo to take away from these games.

He's getting better each game.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:08 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Really liked his game last night. I thought the shift with Gaunce and Sestito in the mid first set the tone for the rest of the game.

I'm also thankful Sestito fumbled that puck into the net, so there is some positives for Bo to take away from these games.

He's getting better each game.
I agree, I think he is finally starting to relax and play his game and it is showing.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:55 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

"He's getting better each game."

That's what I've seen from Bo since first joining the Knights ( and heard it before as he's a local kid) He just keeps improving. Love seeing that in a player. You really can see the steady progression. He's a quick and able student of the game. In a single word -coachable- And Dale will get him pro ready. I expect he has a great camp next year and forces his way onto the squad

As many have said, great kid, workhorse, puts in the work, learns, improves.....

He'll be a very solid NHLer when alls said n done.

I'm sure knights fans will drop by they the year to let Nucks fans know how well he's progressing.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:58 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
That's what I've seen from Bo since first joining the Knights ( and heard it before as he's a local kid) He just keeps improving. Love seeing that in a player. You really can see the steady progression. He's a quick and able student of the game. In a single word -coachable- And Dale will get him pro ready. I expect he has a great camp next year and forces his way onto the squad

As many have said, great kid, workhorse, puts in the work, learns, improves.....

I'm sure knights fans will drop by they the year to let Nucks fans know how well he's progressing.
Would appreciate that. Hoping he has a big year in London and builds on the last year.

Old
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

Thanks a lot to you and other Knights fans for dropping by to give us your thoughts, really appreciate it!

Old
09-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Hollywood Burrows

this will be me reading updates from knights fans this season:

Old
09-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
this will be me reading updates from knights fans this season:

Mine

Old
09-24-2013, 07:43 PM
How Ya Drouin
NonAngry Canucks Fan

vCash: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Mine
Not sure whether to laugh or run and hope I never talk to the [REDACTED] on HF Boards ever again.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

[REDACTED] is a complete ass.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:21 PM
arsmaster

Do they award a Stanley cup replica at the end of the preseason?

Do preseason shutouts get you anything?

Remember when Patrick Eaves and Brandon Bochenski lead the league in pre season scoring.

No. This isn't the right place for it.

The title is Bo Horvat not around the NHL.

Last edited by arsmaster: 09-24-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Closed Thread