HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2013, 11:46 AM
  #101
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Its so nice to have hockey back!

yep. means daytime highs of -30 are just around the corner for you guys

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:51 AM
  #102
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith
 
Thesaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Cosmos
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
yep. means daytime highs of -30 are just around the corner for you guys
Take that over +35 any day.

Lawless just tweeted that Setoguchi just hit Scheifele on a nice 2 on 1 and the kid buried it.

Is it October yet?

Thesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
  #103
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Kane - Scheifele - Setoguchi line sighting at the training camp this morning. Go Scheif!
yeah, and having the Joker-Frolik-Halischuk line is also a great omen.

the D pairings, though, are total head scratchers.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:55 AM
  #104
Mud Turtle
Registered User
 
Mud Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Any reports from training camp on Buff? How does he look?

Mud Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:58 AM
  #105
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaurus View Post
Take that over +35 any day.

Lawless just tweeted that Setoguchi just hit Scheifele on a nice 2 on 1 and the kid buried it.

Is it October yet?
1. you follow Lawless on twitter?
2. planning the parade route. going down Graham Ave probably makes sense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets Fan 64 View Post
Any reports from training camp on Buff? How does he look?
weird...not one reporter or media outlet's thought of looking into that. will get back to you...

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
  #106
djc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I would be happy with the lines as listed:

LLW
Kane-Scheif-Seto
Halischuk-Olli- Frolik
Wright-Slater-Tangradi

That is what I have been guessing / hoping for for a while.
I remember reading up on Halischuk and a poster referred to him as Mason Raymond lite; a bit of a stretch. When others on this board mentioned Raymond as a possibility, I did wondered whether Halischuk might get at try on the third line with Jokenin and Frolik. I remember you suggesting this line-up eariler this summer and liked it but is it not Tangradi-Slater-Wright?

djc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
  #107
Mud Turtle
Registered User
 
Mud Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
1. you follow Lawless on twitter?
2. planning the parade route. going down Graham Ave probably makes sense....



weird...not one reporter or media outlet's thought of looking into that. will get back to you...
Ha, funny. I meant on the ice...today.

Mud Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
  #108
Howard Chuck
Registered User
 
Howard Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
X4



I agree. With one wildcard being O'Dell. Obviously we need to see how he does in TC and in the Pre-Season, but I think he either goes to the AHL for another season and is the 1st call up, or he possibly earns a spot on the 3rd line. In that event, even though I was a fan of Wright last season for his work ethic, I would move Halischuk down to the 4th in Wright's place:

LLW
Kane-Scheif-Seto
Frolik-Olli-O'Dell
Halischuk-Slater-Tangradi / Peluso
I would love to see O'Dell work his way in, but I haven't even really thought that there would be much chance of that, but who knows. I'm giddy enough just thinking about watching hockey this weekend!

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
  #109
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiebeSunSports10:59am via Twitter for iPhone
1st scrimmage in the books. Group A earns 3-1 win. goals from Trouba, Scheifele, Morrissey. Adam Lowry went into boards awkwardly #NHLJets
Young guns doing it big.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
  #110
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
X4



I agree. With one wildcard being O'Dell. Obviously we need to see how he does in TC and in the Pre-Season, but I think he either goes to the AHL for another season and is the 1st call up, or he possibly earns a spot on the 3rd line. In that event, even though I was a fan of Wright last season for his work ethic, I would move Halischuk down to the 4th in Wright's place:

LLW
Kane-Scheif-Seto
Frolik-Olli-O'Dell
Halischuk-Slater-Tangradi / Peluso
That is likely O'Dell's only in, but Lawless says the Jets brass are really high on Halischuk.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:29 PM
  #111
Aavco Cup
Registered User
 
Aavco Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22,002
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Young guns doing it big.
The future is now? Or these guys are in game shape from the young stars tourney?

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:38 PM
  #112
Jet
GO JETS GO!
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Clearwater Beach
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,740
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Other questions I have:

Was Frolik's strong underlying numbers an effect of being on a strong team and/or in a good system or will he stay the same in WPG? (Also, more out of side interest, if his production stays the same will he get the same guff as Burmistrov did for lack of production?)
I would expect Frolik to score a bit more as his role might be a tad more offensive in Winnipeg. Of course there will be that segment of the fan base that refuses to see more than G A P in Frolik's numbers. I can almost guarantee he will be a whipping boy around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Bogosian historically has only been a + player when with Hainsey or Oduya. Will he falter with his new partner?
I think a lot of that has to do with injury, and him coming out of the destructive situation he was in in Atlanta. I bet with a healthier wrist, and more maturity this is going to be Bogo's coming out season (knock on wood no injuries). I just think he is right there. We saw a little bit of what offensive minded Bogosian can do last year and if he can continue to improve at locking it down in our zone and bring a little more of that offensive flair to his game he might take over as the undisputed number one Jets defenseman this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Will Pavelec repeat 3 out of 4 years with a 0.905-0.906 Sv%?
I have ZERO faith that Pavelec will improve. I think he his what he is, though I think that the one thing that might help is having his buddy Frolik on the team. Unless he's come into camp more fit and willing to work on his discipline, I don't see much of an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Will Noel make the right player allocation choices with goalie rests, Scheif vs Joki, Seto vs Frolik, Bogo's partner, etc...?

One things for sure... hockey's back
This to me was the one area I could really criticize Noel last year, ESPECIALLY the way he handled Pavelec. Hopefully he's learned his lesson, gives the vets a bit of a shorter rope and gives that rope to the younger players. Ideally I'd like to see a 55/27 split between the goalies this year.

__________________
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
  #113
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
SensibleGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,890
vCash: 500
I suspect Pavelec's rope might be getting a bit shorter this season. If he's pulling numbers like his historical norm half way into the year I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a move of some sort...

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:58 PM
  #114
Jet
GO JETS GO!
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Clearwater Beach
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,740
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
I suspect Pavelec's rope might be getting a bit shorter this season. If he's pulling numbers like his historical norm half way into the year I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a move of some sort...
What do you do with him though. That contract is just awful.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:01 PM
  #115
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
What do you do with him though. That contract is just awful.
You try to find a trade partner or you exercise a compliance buyout on him next summer imo.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:01 PM
  #116
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
What do you do with him though. That contract is just awful.
huh?
length is not great.
annual dollar amount is far from awful.
Crawford's contract? that's awful.
bryzgalov? horrawful.

you would see a trade like what the Sens and Blues did a few years ago. teams are always looking for goaltending help. hell, trade him to the Flames. see their goaltenders going into camp? their starting goalie's a borderline NHL backup.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:21 PM
  #117
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Will Trouba switch numbers from 3 to 8?
Maybe when the Jets are certain that Burmistov will not return to the NHL.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:38 PM
  #118
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc View Post
I remember reading up on Halischuk and a poster referred to him as Mason Raymond lite; a bit of a stretch. When others on this board mentioned Raymond as a possibility, I did wondered whether Halischuk might get at try on the third line with Jokenin and Frolik. I remember you suggesting this line-up eariler this summer and liked it but is it not Tangradi-Slater-Wright?
I have the lines as truck does as well FWIW (which is nothing )

Halischuk's a bonafide 3rd liner to me. About a 30-point player the last 2 seasons, played almost 12 minutes a night last year, plays either wing.

Can't see him not getting a regular shift on the wing ahead of Thorburn, Tangradi, Peluso and maybe even Noel's boy James Wright. O'Dell's probably in St. John's as the first call-up (along with Gordon and Samson)

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  #119
sully1410
#EggosForEleven
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,547
vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I would expect Frolik to score a bit more as his role might be a tad more offensive in Winnipeg. Of course there will be that segment of the fan base that refuses to see more than G A P in Frolik's numbers. I can almost guarantee he will be a whipping boy around here



I think a lot of that has to do with injury, and him coming out of the destructive situation he was in in Atlanta. I bet with a healthier wrist, and more maturity this is going to be Bogo's coming out season (knock on wood no injuries). I just think he is right there. We saw a little bit of what offensive minded Bogosian can do last year and if he can continue to improve at locking it down in our zone and bring a little more of that offensive flair to his game he might take over as the undisputed number one Jets defenseman this year.



I have ZERO faith that Pavelec will improve. I think he his what he is, though I think that the one thing that might help is having his buddy Frolik on the team. Unless he's come into camp more fit and willing to work on his discipline, I don't see much of an improvement.



This to me was the one area I could really criticize Noel last year, ESPECIALLY the way he handled Pavelec. Hopefully he's learned his lesson, gives the vets a bit of a shorter rope and gives that rope to the younger players. Ideally I'd like to see a 55/27 split between the goalies this year.
I think he'll improve. the west is nowhere near as offensively gifted as the East is. The most potent offensive weapon he'll face is Patrick Kane, really. The rest is about the same, and considering they still play two games against guys like the Pens, Isles, Bolts, Flyers etc. instead of four should help as well.

He just needs to be more consistent. He had 18 high level games last season. Like really high level. The games where he was bad...he was REALLY bad. Thats the problem. His bottom level is WAY too low.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:14 PM
  #120
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,931
vCash: 500
Day 1 Audio



Andrew Ladd - How did Day 1 feel? As captain of team what does he want to see from this team? Any of the young guys catch your eye? How important is it to get another line playing with consistency? Did he notice anything about Scheifele? Thoughts on the pressure he is feeling.

Zach Bogosian - Having a healthy offseason. What are his thoughts on Trouba? What are the challenges of being a young guy? Hainsey pulled a lot of minutes last season, can someone take those minutes? Does he have someone he wants to play with? What are his expectations for this team? Keeping the core group, if they don't make it, is that a failure?

Mark Scheifele - Does it feel different coming into this training camp? Keeping his focus on making the team. How is he better prepared? Keeping his focus on making the team. How is he better prepared? Having games under his belt, does this increase his hunger to make the NHL? Is it difficult not putting pressure on himself? Can he see himself playing with Kane and Setoguchi.

Evander Kane - What was it like playing with Scheifele? As one of the older guys on the team, does he help make the younger guys more comfortable? What are the challenges for the young guys making the transition to the NHL? How does he see himself and this team stepping up to the next level? Anxious to finding chemistry on this team?

Dustin Byfuglien - Coming into camp into better shape than in years past. Benefiting from a full training camp. Trying to be more consistent. Putting things in the past and getting ready to move on. Expectations he has for himself. What is it going to take to get this team to next level? Being invited to Team USA Olympic camp. What would it mean be to wear a Team USA jersey? ("Would be nice to take the Gold from Canada"). How many exhibitions games would you like to play? ("I'd rather play all of them. Who wants to sit and watch?"). Being down weight from last season? How much responsibility does he feel to set an example for younger defencemen? How did he change his game this summer? How important was it keeping the core together?

To listen click here

Update: Fixed the link. Sorry about that.


Last edited by ICdave: 09-13-2013 at 12:09 AM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:27 PM
  #121
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 17,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I think he'll improve. the west is nowhere near as offensively gifted as the East is. The most potent offensive weapon he'll face is Patrick Kane, really. The rest is about the same, and considering they still play two games against guys like the Pens, Isles, Bolts, Flyers etc. instead of four should help as well.

He just needs to be more consistent. He had 18 high level games last season. Like really high level. The games where he was bad...he was REALLY bad. Thats the problem. His bottom level is WAY too low.
I have to jump in here... Pav's needs to be good more often, not more consistent (which to me would mean being what he is more often than not even more often).

Quality starts measures how often a goalie either:
a) is better than league avg sv%
or
b) is only better than replacement level sv% but lets in 2 goals or less

Pavelec is 4th lowest in NHL starters here, which means he's actually the 4th most consistently bad goalie.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:36 PM
  #122
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I have the lines as truck does as well FWIW (which is nothing )

Halischuk's a bonafide 3rd liner to me. About a 30-point player the last 2 seasons, played almost 12 minutes a night last year, plays either wing.

Can't see him not getting a regular shift on the wing ahead of Thorburn, Tangradi, Peluso and maybe even Noel's boy James Wright. O'Dell's probably in St. John's as the first call-up (along with Gordon and Samson)
I think Halischuk is going to disappoint anyone thinking he's a 3rd liner. He's marginal. Preds didn't even qualify him. Zinger's probably the "brass" who's hot for Halischuk - dreams of him leading a Calder Cup run maybe...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:50 PM
  #123
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,931
vCash: 500
Coach Noel Day 1 (on-ice)



Coach Noel - Thoughts on training camp so far. Who caught his eye? Anything he thinks needs work? Any news regarding Lowry falling into the boards. How does he feel about the trial of hybrid icing? Did he do anything in anticipation of the upcoming games? Will Scheifele get a chance between Kane and Setoguchi? What will make a good training camp for him? What will he be watching for with Scheifele to see if is ready to jump to the NHL? Is it Scheifele’s spot to lose? Cutting down the numbers. Finding Kane linemates. Thoughts on Matt Halischuk.

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:00 PM
  #124
wpglax
Registered User
 
wpglax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
was anybody @ the TC and know if the players were signing things for the fans before/after?

wpglax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
  #125
Mathmew Purrrr Oh
#meowmeowmeowmeow
 
Mathmew Purrrr Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: meow
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICdave View Post


Andrew Ladd - How did Day 1 feel? As captain of team what does he want to see from this team? Any of the young guys catch your eye? How important is it to get another line playing with consistency? Did he notice anything about Scheifele? Thoughts on the pressure he is feeling.

Zach Bogosian - Having a healthy offseason. What are his thoughts on Trouba? What are the challenges of being a young guy? Hainsey pulled a lot of minutes last season, can someone take those minutes? Does he have someone he wants to play with? What are his expectations for this team? Keeping the core group, if they don't make it, is that a failure?

Mark Scheifele - Does it feel different coming into this training camp? Keeping his focus on making the team. How is he better prepared? Keeping his focus on making the team. How is he better prepared? Having games under his belt, does this increase his hunger to make the NHL? Is it difficult not putting pressure on himself? Can he see himself playing with Kane and Setoguchi.

Evander Kane - What was it like playing with Scheifele? As one of the older guys on the team, does he help make the younger guys more comfortable? What are the challenges for the young guys making the transition to the NHL? How does he see himself and this team stepping up to the next level? Anxious to finding chemistry on this team?

Dustin Byfuglien - Coming into camp into better shape than in years past. Benefiting from a full training camp. Trying to be more consistent. Putting things in the past and getting ready to move on. Expectations he has for himself. What is it going to take to get this team to next level? Being invited to Team USA Olympic camp. What would it mean be to wear a Team USA jersey? ("Would be nice to take the Gold from Canada"). How many exhibitions games would you like to play? ("I'd rather play all of them. Who wants to sit and watch?"). Being down weight from last season? How much responsibility does he feel to set an example for younger defencemen? How did he change his game this summer? How important was it keeping the core together?

To listen click here.
actually to listen click HERE!

Mathmew Purrrr Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.