HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heavyweight Enforcer to Edmonton?

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 04:18 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I kinda agree, originally it was made to sound like the guys wanted a Macintyre but then Tencer describes guys that really aren't any better than Eager. Eager finished strong and has lost weight, might be a good surprise in camp.
I think having Eager and Brown should be enough in terms of guys who would be willing to fight.

In terms of D-men who will fight, probably Ference. Smid will defend himself, but he won't initiate a fight usually. Potter might fight(if he ends up on the roster).

I mean, usually towards the start of the year, you see more fights, but after that, it drops off dramatically. How many fights do you see in the playoffs?

don't need a big goon

Old
09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post
The Pacific isn't loaded with heavyweights by any means but look at the teams. The Kings are a pretty rowdy bunch. The Ducks have Beleskey, Souray, Allen, and Fistric who will throw (not to mention Getzlaf and Perry who throw their weight around), the Stars got a few guys. Not too concerned about the Canucks and Flames but still there is a decent amount of toughness in the Pacific.
Why wouldn't you be concerned about Sestito and McGrattan? They are the reason we are looking.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:32 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Why wouldn't you be concerned about Sestito and McGrattan? They are the reason we are looking.
Sestito played 23 games last season, of which he averaged 6 mins per game. McGrattan played 21 games and averaged 7 minutes. No team should make personnel decisions based on face punchers like this who have almost no impact on the game and who rarely see the ice. Skilled players can skate circles around these guys, and the odd chance a guy like Hall is on the ice against him, the outcome is probaly a GA, a great scoring chance or a drawn penalty.

With the limited roster spots, why not give a PTO to a guy that can actually contribute to the team, albeit marginally in a limited role. Bringing in a face puncher to battle another face puncher just benefits the other team, who made a bad decision in wasting a roster spot on that bad player in the first place.

Face punchers are being fazed out of the game as teams focus more on actual NHL players, not use in making backwards moves

Old
09-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Okay okay, Konopka for a 6th? 7th? Future considerations?

Old
09-11-2013, 04:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Sestito played 23 games last season, of which he averaged 6 mins per game. McGrattan played 21 games and averaged 7 minutes. No team should make personnel decisions based on face punchers like this who have almost no impact on the game and who rarely see the ice. Skilled players can skate circles around these guys, and the odd chance a guy like Hall is on the ice against him, the outcome is probaly a GA, a great scoring chance or a drawn penalty.

With the limited roster spots, why not give a PTO to a guy that can actually contribute to the team, albeit marginally in a limited role. Bringing in a face puncher to battle another face puncher just benefits the other team, who made a bad decision in wasting a roster spot on that bad player in the first place.

Face punchers are being fazed out of the game as teams focus more on actual NHL players, not use in making backwards moves
You know what's funny the guys that Tencer said the Oilers would like to mold the player they get around only played 5 game at 5 minutes a game and 11 games at 7 minutes.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:44 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I think having Eager and Brown should be enough in terms of guys who would be willing to fight.

In terms of D-men who will fight, probably Ference. Smid will defend himself, but he won't initiate a fight usually. Potter might fight(if he ends up on the roster).

I mean, usually towards the start of the year, you see more fights, but after that, it drops off dramatically. How many fights do you see in the playoffs?

don't need a big goon
They both get eaten alive playing the east and big Mcgratton will dust them as well as well as a few others in the west.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:44 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Okay okay, Konopka for a 6th? 7th? Future considerations?
Sure, for future considerations. He actually has some value as he can win faceoffs (60%). Even tho he got 0 points id rather have a 13th forward who can fight and can also be trusted to win the occasional faceoff.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
topchowda

Quote:
You know what's funny the guys that Tencer said the Oilers would like to mold the player they get around only played 5 game at 5 minutes a game and 11 games at 7 minutes.
Well thats stupid, and I hope Tencers wrong. Brown is a good enough deterrent for me even if hes not a HW. Hes a nuclear guy that is pretty crazy. Could care less if he loses a fight, as long as he goes after guys. And no sense in bringing in another guy like Brown.

Eakins said he wanted a player that can player. In order of what Id want to see:

Get a guy that can play, and fight (Clifford)
Do nothing and keep Brown
-
-

Waste assets, roster spot and ice time on face puncher that cant play

Old
09-11-2013, 04:49 PM
do0glas

enforcers are only useful if they can take a scorer to the box with them. since that happens so rarely, why?

theyd be better off with a really tough forechecking bottom sixer that can punish guys against the boards; big hits are a much better detterant than "fighting".

Old
09-11-2013, 04:57 PM
caley

Mike Brown's 5'11", he's really more in the Patrick Kaleta/Steve Ott mode: a guy who can hit and will drop the gloves, but he's not a heavyweight enforcer, by any means. You can't expect Brown to fight with a guy like Brian McGrattan one night (whom he gives up 5 inches and 30 pounds to) then fight Tom Sestito the next night (whom he gives up 6 inches and 23 pounds to) and not have him on the IR before the season's a month old.

I think Edmonton will see how the in-camp competition goes (Ben Eager is supposed to be in the best shape of his life. Cam Abney is huge and has something to prove going into the last year of his ELC. Ty Bilcke got an invite to main camp.) and if they don't fight the solution in-house, they'll scour the waiver wire for the guy they're looking for.

I'm really not sure why this is up to 3 pages?!

09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
enforcers are only useful if they can take a scorer to the box with them. since that happens so rarely, why?

theyd be better off with a really tough forechecking bottom sixer that can punish guys against the boards; big hits are a much better detterant than "fighting".
They might be a better detterent, but most of the time, "hitters" bleed goals against and often make their teams worse. Simply because they run around to make hits and getting alot of hits means you dont have possession

Heres a good article

Quote:
he hit squad is generally responsible for ensuring that goals stay out of their net. It seems .. ineffective. Again, unless you have a Milan Lucic, David Backes, or Dustin Brown at your disposal, you're basically **** out of luck. And signing Steve Ott or Matt Martin because he's hitting at a comparative rate to one of those guys doesn't fill the void. It just adds a crappy player to the lineup for the sake of physicality. Seems to me that the data suggests grown men aren't really scared of other grown men who make their living smacking bodies around.

your hit squad, save a few ultra-rare breeds, is a run of bottom-six forwards [at best] who almost spend as much time retrieving the puck from their cage as they do locking in on the opposition for a center-ice kill shot.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I could see the Oil being interested in Cody McCormick, a decent middleweight southpaw who can play a regular shift and not hurt his team defensively. He was waived down to Rochester the day Ruff was sacked and has no relationship with the new coaching staff. Regier thinks Cody will be somewhere in the NHL at camps' end, but that may not be in Buffalo.

09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Mike Brown's 5'11", he's really more in the Patrick Kaleta/Steve Ott mode: a guy who can hit and will drop the gloves, but he's not a heavyweight enforcer, by any means. You can't expect Brown to fight with a guy like Brian McGrattan one night (whom he gives up 5 inches and 30 pounds to) then fight Tom Sestito the next night (whom he gives up 6 inches and 23 pounds to) and not have him on the IR before the season's a month old.

I think Edmonton will see how the in-camp competition goes (Ben Eager is supposed to be in the best shape of his life. Cam Abney is huge and has something to prove going into the last year of his ELC. Ty Bilcke got an invite to main camp.) and if they don't fight the solution in-house, they'll scour the waiver wire for the guy they're looking for.

I'm really not sure why this is up to 3 pages?!
Problem is, Abney isnt even good enough to make the AHL. Hes likely a bottom 6 ECHL player. And its scary to envision him even in an NHL warm up, much less to be trusted to actually make an NHL play. He would get walked around by even the worst NHL players. He would only be effective if hes sent out after the whistle to fight someone, and that would likely result in extra penalties

Old
09-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post

Or they can be used to put punks like Kaleta in their place when they cheap shot your star players?

Old
09-11-2013, 05:09 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Or they can be used to put punks like Kaleta in their place when they cheap shot your star players?
You show me 5 examples of enforcers riding in on their white horses to save a distressed star player and ill show you 50 examples of skilled players dancing around that enforcer like a novice C player.

Its not like goons are elbowing and slashing the heads of skilled guys every game in todays NHL. All that goons do in todays NHL is chase around skilled players for the odd hit after the play or to push them around in a scrum

Old
09-11-2013, 05:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well thats stupid, and I hope Tencers wrong. Brown is a good enough deterrent for me even if hes not a HW. Hes a nuclear guy that is pretty crazy. Could care less if he loses a fight, as long as he goes after guys. And no sense in bringing in another guy like Brown.

Eakins said he wanted a player that can player. In order of what Id want to see:

Get a guy that can play, and fight (Clifford)
Do nothing and keep Brown
-
-

Waste assets, roster spot and ice time on face puncher that cant play
That's just it, if we are bringing in a fighter why are we bringing in another Brown? We have Eager and as I found out today Acton is a willing scrapper. So really we have 3 guys like that.

I don't really want a Macintyre, but if Eakins does make his job clear to Steve then fine.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:27 PM
do0glas

Quote:
They might be a better detterent, but most of the time, "hitters" bleed goals against and often make their teams worse. Simply because they run around to make hits and getting alot of hits means you dont have possession

Heres a good article
notice i said forechecker.

a guy running around isnt what i said at all.

but wearing guys down on the boards every time they try to fish the puck out is much better than a guy that will drop the gloves with someone cuz they touched hall too hard.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Make a move on Ryan Reaves.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
You show me 5 examples of enforcers riding in on their white horses to save a distressed star player and ill show you 50 examples of skilled players dancing around that enforcer like a novice C player.

Its not like goons are elbowing and slashing the heads of skilled guys every game in todays NHL. All that goons do in todays NHL is chase around skilled players for the odd hit after the play or to push them around in a scrum
It's not only goons though, the Regehr's and Brown's of the world sit there and take shots game after game. Yes most are clean, but someone needs to keep those guys honest. I've said for years now the worse thing we ever did was not have Macintyre go nuts like he did in the AHL. You don't think guys are going to think twice when there is a guy on the bench that tried to beat up a whole line or pounded the crap out of a goalie? But for whatever reason Mac just didn't do that at the NHL level.

Part of it is the players fault, we heard Hall mention it's nice to not look over your shoulder because you feel safer with Mac on the bench. Then do what the boys did in the 80's and offer to pay his salary when he gets suspended.

Macintyre grabs the first guy that hits Hall in pre-season and I guarantee guys start thinking twice.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Make a move on Ryan Reaves.
STL literally has no reason to move him.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:37 PM
topchowda

Quote:
It's not only goons though, the Regehr's and Brown's of the world sit there and take shots game after game. Yes most are clean, but someone needs to keep those guys honest. I've said for years now the worse thing we ever did was not have Macintyre go nuts like he did in the AHL. You don't think guys are going to think twice when there is a guy on the bench that tried to beat up a whole line or pounded the crap out of a goalie? But for whatever reason Mac just didn't do that at the NHL level.

Part of it is the players fault, we heard Hall mention it's nice to not look over your shoulder because you feel safer with Mac on the bench. Then do what the boys did in the 80's and offer to pay his salary when he gets suspended.

Macintyre grabs the first guy that hits Hall in pre-season and I guarantee guys start thinking twice.
The issue with Brown/Marchand is more complicated I agree, because they are actually good players. But then you gotta wonder if those type of guys will actually fight Macintyre when called upon. If not, Mac will just attack them and get the instigator. The most effective detterent for those guys are bottom 6 checkers who are able to play hockey and can run a guy like Brown when matched up against him and wont get burned. So a guy like Clifford.

A guy like Mac will play in 20-30 games. I doubt if Brown takes a cheap shot on Hall, hell be worried about maybe facing Mac 15 games in the future. I envision pests like Brad Pitt in fight club when he laughing and having a great time as hes being punched. Pests love for other teams to be thrown off by their antics, and probaly dont care about goons.

If the point is to get a crazy player who will fight anyone, Brown is just as crazy as Mac, and is a better option to play a regular NHL shift.

The last point only works if Mac stays with the team the whole season. If he gets waived during the season, it doesnt matter about how crazy he was in pre season. And further, it only matters for the games hes dressed in

Old
09-11-2013, 05:38 PM
neutral*

Zenon Konopka would be perfect for them.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:38 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

D.J King is another heavyweight that I find underrated and I don't believe he's under contract. He did good in his brief stints..

Joel Rechlicz is another guy that could be had cheap from Washington.

Both are borderline NHLers though.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
i thought that search ended with hordichuk and eager?
you know VNP, you're a pretty good oiler troll, you treat HFboards like a ufc fight, and i notice you just kinda come into oiler threads and take little tiny jabs and then leave, sometimes you come back and aggravate the situation more, really quite impressive to watch.

Another analogy works here (if you'll be patient with me), your like that little rat that starts a bar fight and then leaves immediately after mayhem ensues cus you dont want to get hurt. You'll throw a metaphorical bottle in threads like and watch for someone to bite.

Hope your happy with your current state of the board rat, cus you fit the bill perfectly.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Quares27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Knowledge View Post
Zenon Konopka would be perfect for them.
How? he's not a heavyweight and he can't play

Closed Thread