Notices

Waiver draft on friday

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Pielsman

vCash: 500
Waiver draft on friday

According to todays GLobe, the waiver draft is on friday- and if Felix keeps stinking out the joint, the B's just may decide to sign Burke and "dump" Potvin.

I have nothing against Potvin, but Burke is a definate step up- provided we dont have to give up a first rounder to get him. -Piels

Old
09-28-2003, 05:15 AM
Ratty

Speaking of today's Globe article, did you notice that Kevin Paul(since he left the Herald) Dupont refrained (almost) from using his hackneyed expressions "The Vault", "Original 30"? His "Hub of Hockey" worn out cliche, he used only in the closing paragraphs. Maybe he's reading this board in earnest.

His mention of a fan's remark at having received two free tickets to an exhibition game reminds me of a post on these boards. Further proof that he's expanding his horizons.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:32 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty
Speaking of today's Globe article, did you notice that Kevin Paul(since he left the Herald) Dupont refrained (almost) from using his hackneyed expressions "The Vault", "Original 30"? His "Hub of Hockey" worn out cliche, he used only in the closing paragraphs. Maybe he's reading this board in earnest.

His mention of a fan's remark at having received two free tickets to an exhibition game reminds me of a post on these boards. Further proof that he's expanding his horizons.
I believe that was in reference to DKH. Maybe he is taking some criticism to heart. Very honorable.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:37 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielsman
According to todays GLobe, the waiver draft is on friday- and if Felix keeps stinking out the joint, the B's just may decide to sign Burke and "dump" Potvin.

I have nothing against Potvin, but Burke is a definate step up- provided we dont have to give up a first rounder to get him. -Piels
Why should we give up young talent or a high draft pick to "rent" Burkes for a season? We'll only get one season. It's not like Burkes is the last piece in the puzzle...

Old
09-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
As we get closer to the waiver draft, teams will want to accept any offer they can get, rather than losing a player for nothing. If Phoenix doesn't do anything soon, then they'll have to expose one of their goalies in the draft, and whoever it is will most likely be picked up. The same goes for Detroit... If they don't trade CuJo soon, he'll be gone in the waiver draft for nothing. I'm not sure they'd mind that, just to be rid of his salary, but every team would rather get something than nothing. We definitely shouldn't give up a high pick or a good prospect to get Burke, but I don't think we'd have to... Give them a decent offer on Thursday, and they'll probably take it.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:46 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I believe that was in reference to DKH. Maybe he is taking some criticism to heart. Very honorable.
Dupes is A-Ok with me; outstanding that he reads these posts and mentions the board. You can't please everyone and I for the life of me would rather eat bugs on survivor than liver and onions- my parents favorite- yeck. Thats what makes the world go round. I hope he keeps doing what he's doing and continues to see what the hard core fans are talking about- because he like me and you, and whoever reads this stuff gets a feel atleast whats going on in Bruin Nation.

You think I know who the heck Patrice Bergeron is if I didn't read the board? He could have waited on me at breakfast this morning and I wouldn't have known. But you read the Globe and Herald (and they both have given us more about these guys and whats going on imo than years past); the Bruins web site has a great article on the the Bruins building a strong core of goal and defense- read it its got great quotes and information; you read hockeyjournal by our Jean Belliveau-Kirk and get a smooth as silk update on our Bruins. Its fantastic- and you get the summaries from the great posters here (I'll admit it I'm watching Pats and football today) but can hardly wait to hear the scouting reports from you guys on the Rags-Broons game. Its a blast.

My parents used to say 5 teachers loved me and one wanted my hide on thats just the way it is in life (not that I didn't deserve it) as Ricky Nelson said so elequently, "you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself".....the name of the 50's hit? Garden Party.

I wish Harris and others would atleast check in- we may not always be right or be interesting but its like a menu at a great restaurant- you can pick what interests you either here or on another board.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
well..looks like hell has frozen over...

this old fringed lunatic... ( anybody remember those coats from the 70s ? ) anyway... I liked his column today.. quite a bit actually..very informative about Sammi's contract and welcomed info, on Girard ..that poor kid..

anyway.. I thrown stones when I think they are warranted.. today, I say .."well done. "

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-28-2003, 10:50 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielsman

Does anyone on this board know how the waiver draft works!?

Burke will not come cheaply, I garuntee you that. Management would rather ride him for a shot at the playoffs and if not trade him at the deadline.

Please do not mention Burke unless you are informed on the subject, like the fact no way in hell do we expose Burke.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:43 PM
sammy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX

Burke will not come cheaply, I garuntee you that. Management would rather ride him for a shot at the playoffs and if not trade him at the deadline.

Please do not mention Burke unless you are informed on the subject, like the fact no way in hell do we expose Burke.
Which 2 goaltenders do you think will be protected ?

Sean Burke, Brian Boucher, Zac Bierk, or Jean-Marc Pelletier

Old
09-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87
Which 2 goaltenders do you think will be protected ?

Sean Burke, Brian Boucher, Zac Bierk, or Jean-Marc Pelletier
Expect Burke & Bierk to be protected.

Burke makes $4 million - money well spent.

Bierk doesn't make much at all I don't think - No problem

Pelletier is on a two way contract

Boucher, a backup, is making $2 million - Big problem

Unless they love Boucher, it's unlikely they'd keep him. If they do trade Burke, expect them to be looking for some tangible returns. They wouldn't waive Burke, for sure. But they might waive Boucher. In fact, I suspect him to be unprotected and not taken at all.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:31 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I would think it would be a tough pill for the Yotes to swallow if Boucher is indeed left unproteced and picked up by someone at the waiver draft considering what they had to give up in the first place to aquire him. So what's left of the '02 trade that brought Boucher over in the first place?

Old
09-28-2003, 04:13 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Expect Burke & Bierk to be protected.

Burke makes $4 million - money well spent.

Bierk doesn't make much at all I don't think - No problem

Pelletier is on a two way contract

Boucher, a backup, is making $2 million - Big problem

Unless they love Boucher, it's unlikely they'd keep him. If they do trade Burke, expect them to be looking for some tangible returns. They wouldn't waive Burke, for sure. But they might waive Boucher. In fact, I suspect him to be unprotected and not taken at all.
I would have thought so but after reading how much the goalie coach of Phoenix has been working with Boucher, factoring in his age and salary it's reasonable to think Boucher has a legit chance of being protected. Hopefully the list will become known in a couple of days and we can see who is on it.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:22 PM
hubofhockey

protected list

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I would have thought so but after reading how much the goalie coach of Phoenix has been working with Boucher, factoring in his age and salary it's reasonable to think Boucher has a legit chance of being protected. Hopefully the list will become known in a couple of days and we can see who is on it.
DKH -- Protected list will be made public Tuesday -- NHL sends it out, usually, mid- or late afternoon. When I talked to Pho GM Mike Barnett, a few weeks back, he made it sound plausible, if not likely, that both Burke and Boucher would be available (cutting costs out there is paramount). Rosters are frozen tomorrow....so if anyone is going to deal prior to the freeze, the trade would be Sunday night or very early on Monday--otherwise, it's wait til Friday. -- kpd

Old
09-28-2003, 06:25 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Go away

Quote:

None of us are informed. We know nothing. You know all.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Corey

Of course Detroit would give up CuJo for nothing rather than get stuck with his $8M contract. They did precisely that with Osgood when they first acquired Hasek, and Osgood wasn't making $8M.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:40 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
DKH -- Protected list will be made public Tuesday -- NHL sends it out, usually, mid- or late afternoon. When I talked to Pho GM Mike Barnett, a few weeks back, he made it sound plausible, if not likely, that both Burke and Boucher would be available (cutting costs out there is paramount). Rosters are frozen tomorrow....so if anyone is going to deal prior to the freeze, the trade would be Sunday night or very early on Monday--otherwise, it's wait til Friday. -- kpd
thanks, it's going to be interesting to see what if anything they do; one thing is apparent- they haven't answered many questions and probably have a few more (Bergeron; Hannu) to deal with. It might be time to stop patching up the tire with the likes of Shields and Potvin and either go get a legit number one or suck it up and go with Raycroft/Toivonen which could be dangerous especially when you may not be putting your best defense infront of them.

In the end, can't see MOC putting his arse on the line with Potvin; potentially wrecking Toivonen; so I expect Burke or someone else better and a buyout of Shields and maybe even Potvin to save money.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:05 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Thanks so much for setting us know-nothings straight! With all-powerful Nostradmus-like seers such as yourself, why should any of us even bother speculating on the topic of the waiver draft? You can just tell us beforehand who will and won't be protected because you are so close to the action.

So, we're all waiting. Who is going where? Since you know the waiver draft so well, you should be able to clue the rest of us peasants in!

Old
09-29-2003, 03:26 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Waivers/Waiver Draft
The NHL Waiver Draft is held approximately three to seven days prior to the start of the regular season. NHL clubs are allowed to protect 18 players and two goaltenders from this Draft.

Teams cannot select an unprotected player from another team in their own Division during the first round of the Waiver Draft.

When one team selects a player from another team, the selecting team must take a player off their protected list. The team that lost the player has the choice of claiming either the newly-unprotected player (who they must place on their protected list or he can be claimed again) or the selected player's waiver price. If the team that lost a player chooses to accept the waiver price, that team can then protect another player. A team cannot lose more than three players or one goaltender.

Player eligibility for the Waiver Draft is based on total games played, the number of years the player has been a professional, and the age of the player when he signed his first NHL contract.

For the purposes of regular season waivers and the Waiver Draft, the five-year exemption for an 18-year-old skater and four-year exemption for a 19-year-old skater are both reduced to three years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19-year-old playes in 11 games or more. The next two seasons, regardless of whether the skater plays any games in either season, shall count as the second and third years toward satisfying the exemption.
For purposes of regular season waivers and the Waiver Draft, the six-year exemption for an 18-year-old goaltender and five-year exemption for a 19-year-old goalternder are both reduced to four years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19-year-old plays in 11 NHL games or more. The next three seasons, regardless of whether the goalie plays any games in any season, shall count as the next three years toward satisfying the exemption.
The first season in which a player who is age 20 or older plays in one or more professional games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from waivers.
The rights granted to assign a player who is otherwise required to clear waivers to a minor league Club expire for any player, who, after clearing Waiver Draft or regular season waivers; is not sent to a minor league club, or is recalled from a minor league Club (except on emergency recall) and; remains on an League roster for 30 days or plays 10 League games.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:37 AM
brianscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
thanks, it's going to be interesting to see what if anything they do; one thing is apparent- they haven't answered many questions and probably have a few more (Bergeron; Hannu) to deal with. It might be time to stop patching up the tire with the likes of Shields and Potvin and either go get a legit number one or suck it up and go with Raycroft/Toivonen which could be dangerous especially when you may not be putting your best defense infront of them.

In the end, can't see MOC putting his arse on the line with Potvin; potentially wrecking Toivonen; so I expect Burke or someone else better and a buyout of Shields and maybe even Potvin to save money.

Hasnt OC already put his arse on the line by signing Potvin?

Does he need to save face by sticking with Potvin and hoping for a stronger regular season showing?

Or, does he admit he blew it again goalie wise and expose Potvin, thereby praying some delusional team will pick him up?

Closed Thread