HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 10:37 AM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
I really thought I had some sliders nailed down, but I guess I don't. I had a 3-1 win over the Sabres where the shots were 32-26 (hallelujah, realistic stats!). Then the next game I lost in OT 2-3 against the Pens. I outshot them 49-15. The following was a 3-8 win over the Canes where I outshot them 55-22. Back to the drawing board.

Is there any way to make the CPU pressure me when I enter the zone? They just give it up every time and allow me to set up my offense.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:42 AM
James Franco

July first I sign ufa Jan Mursak, 74 overall 2 years 700k. I simulate to August 15th and he is 82 overall. Hell yes.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:50 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphill23 View Post
From what I have seen the left stick hitting works by skating in the direction of the opposing player and the system calculates how fast you are going and how fast he is going and decides the severity of the "hit" or contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Franco View Post
July first I sign ufa Jan Mursak, 74 overall 2 years 700k. I simulate to August 15th and he is 82 overall. Hell yes.
Did that too, excellent trade chip.

The pace of the game seems much faster than last year. I might play with the sliders a bit to slow the game down a bit. When I can blow by guys on the outside with Marc Staal, adjustments are needed. That said, skating is miles better than last year. I can actually turn and pivot with my defensemen and hardly get beat to the outside.

Big fan of the hitting. Blatant hits from behind by the AI are still going uncalled, but if I breathe on their goalie I get two minutes in the box.

Be a GM is much better than last year. Prospect progression is awful. I created Lindberg and Fast to be both 72 overall and 4 gold stars. Two years later and both are still 24 years old and 74 overall in the AHL. Can something like that be patched? Something like that would completely ruin the mode for me.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
DudMan28

Feels way to easy to score in this game. Pretty much any high percentage shot goes in. Problem is the computer gives you 10 good chances a game then magically creates 5 good ones for themselves. End up with a lot of 7-3 scores.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
hockeybpr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan View Post
EB Games pre-order code for HUT gold pack per week didn't work.. any suggestions?
I didn't see this answered for you on the first page. Main menu > Customize > Redeem Code. Enter the codes in there.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
Feels way to easy to score in this game. Pretty much any high percentage shot goes in. Problem is the computer gives you 10 good chances a game then magically creates 5 good ones for themselves. End up with a lot of 7-3 scores.
are you playing on the highest difficulty?

Old
09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

My BAP broke curfew three times in about 30 games and I owned up to it all three times, but the third time they didn't bag skate the team and instead demoted me a line and dropped my GM meter.
So dumb.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
IcemanTBI

Comeback code is still in the game. Was winning 3-1 with my habs against the Bruins with 5 minutes left and the Bruins scored 3 times in that period to win 4-3.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
SixGoalieSystem

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
Came across a bug (or something). Anyone else see this on PS3? I am in offline Be GM mode, with NYR. Swap two players (JT Mller for Zuccarello), and then hit line changes/square.

The game freezes and I need to hit the ps button and do Quit Game.
Yeah, this keeps occuring all over the place actually, not just in the roster moves and the game is ruined for me so far. BAP offline is the only offline mode I really play and it keeps freezing for me. Sometimes the music will stop and play will continue, other times it all stops. Sometimes it will actually come back after a couple of minutes, but I've also been waiting around 15 minutes just for a player profile to close.

Anyone seen anything like this in the game, or could I just have gotten a faulty disk?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Necropolis
ainec

I love the fact that passing and defensive stats have much more to do with the gameplay. For example, in HUT I feel much more comfortable making a hard opening pass with Goligoski than Seidenberg but then again, pokechecking goes the other way. I haven't played 14 much yet but it seems a lot better than 13.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

GM mode is absolute ****, it's beyond unplayable, I had a decent team and finished in the 2nd round, in the offseason I make my team absolutely stacked and I lose almost all my games.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I haven't picked up the game yet, but from what my buddy has described of the offline play against the CPU, it sounds like a nightmare. He was playing on sim settings on Superstar difficulty and outshot the CPU 21-8 yet lost 2-1, then in another game he played to a score of 8-7, and from what he described, most of the goals that was scored on him were weak floater shots. For yet another year, it appears that the CPU does not take that many shots and the goaltending is just unpredictable. I mainly play my games offline so I'm a bit concerned and very hesitant as to whether or not I pick up this years game. Way to go EA!

Old
09-12-2013, 02:06 PM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
GM mode is absolute ****, it's beyond unplayable, I had a decent team and finished in the 2nd round, in the offseason I make my team absolutely stacked and I lose almost all my games.
Yeah that's never ever happened in real life

Old
09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
GM mode is amazing this year.

Much like last season, there's a reason for everything that happens on your team.

If your team is struggling to win games, there's always a reason why - you just have to find out what it is. Given the amount of feedback the game gives you now, with stat breakdowns etc., it's not hard to figure out why your team struggles.

....but of course just *****ing about the game is also a viable option. Won't fix your team's problems, but might make you feel better for a hot minute.

Old
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphill23 View Post
The Dropkick Murphys song is prolly the best song on the soundtrack aside from the fact that they made them change the damn lyrics. What is so bad about "The boys are back, and their looking for trouble."?
There are no good songs on the soundtrack

Old
09-12-2013, 03:19 PM
La Flame

Just scored this beauty vs my friend.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/170600421

Old
09-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Shmuffalo
O'Reilly's Getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
Comeback code is still in the game. Was winning 3-1 with my habs against the Bruins with 5 minutes left and the Bruins scored 3 times in that period to win 4-3.
Or you didn't hold the lead...

Old
09-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeningSingleLady View Post
Just scored this beauty vs my friend.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/170600421
Kudos to EA for really capturing the realism of Carey Price. Great goal

Old
09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I haven't picked up the game yet, but from what my buddy has described of the offline play against the CPU, it sounds like a nightmare. He was playing on sim settings on Superstar difficulty and outshot the CPU 21-8 yet lost 2-1, then in another game he played to a score of 8-7, and from what he described, most of the goals that was scored on him were weak floater shots. For yet another year, it appears that the CPU does not take that many shots and the goaltending is just unpredictable. I mainly play my games offline so I'm a bit concerned and very hesitant as to whether or not I pick up this years game. Way to go EA!
There is no default setting that feels like real hockey to me. You have to really work with the sliders. I'm finally getting mine dialed in. Now I'm starting to get more normal scoring games where the goalies are neither brick walls or swiss cheese, and the shot counts are roughly even.

Old
09-12-2013, 03:50 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
So, I got the pre-order bonus codes in mail today. I was able to claim the HUT bonus pack, but the Warrior code (and the extra Bauer code I got as an early pick-up bonus) don't work. Tried them numerous times, both in game and in PS store.

Anyone else encountering the same problem? I know one of my friends who is in a same situation, too.
Mine seemed to work. The only thing I noticed about the Bauer pack was being able to pick different equipment than just the default options. I thought it was supposed to boost your player as well?

Old
09-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

How's the sim in be a gm ?

Old
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
glasgow26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
There is no default setting that feels like real hockey to me. You have to really work with the sliders. I'm finally getting mine dialed in. Now I'm starting to get more normal scoring games where the goalies are neither brick walls or swiss cheese, and the shot counts are roughly even.
What sliders are you using?

Old
09-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
How's the sim in be a gm ?
I've heard a few complaints from the Playstation crowd, but it unanimously seems like on the 360 the sim speeds are great.

My sim speed on 360 is great. A HUGE improvement over 13

Old
09-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
Or you didn't hold the lead...
I'm going to lean to this.

NHL14 comes out in a few hours. My copy will be here tomorrow. Have to go to some course first but around 3/3.30 I'll be playing it.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:14 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
What sliders are you using?
I started with superstar, hardcore sim and just tweaked it from there. Here are the highlights.
-period length 8 min
-also slowed down penalty time. Don't remember exactly how.

-puck control 0
-hit power 2
-stick lift 3
-poke 2

Those make the puck less "magnetic." You have to make an effort to protect the puck, and you aren't just going to skate through a crowd. It's also enough hit power to make good hits count.

-AI learning 6
-cpu difficulty adjustment 6
-cpu strategy adjustment 6
-faceoff difficulty 5
-cpu aggression 5

Makes the computer play less like an idiot. My faceoff percentage is about dead on 50%.

Attribute effects 1

This seemed like the most important one to me. I thought having it higher would mean there was more of a difference between good and bad players, but it appears to be the opposite. After I turned this down, my bad players started missing the net more, making bad passes, etc. I had to really rely on my stars to score. It went both ways too. My goalie's save percentage went way up because of it.

I think most are about the same. I still can't get the CPU defense to challenge me when I enter the zone. If anyone can figure that out, let me know.

Last edited by tucker3434: 09-12-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Closed Thread