HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Islander102

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
I haven't bought 14, just play the demo to get my fix, though I do miss EASHL. I still have NHL 10 and booted that up the other day. I enjoy the 14 demo more than 10. NHL 10 is too cartoon-y. Skating is meh, it's a ton better in the 14 demo. EA has to find a good mix of the older games and tie it in with the physics system in place.

I feel for EA though; it has to be extremely difficult to deal with the wide range of fans wanting different things
Not particularly, they're a monopoly.

There's basically two kinds of fans they have to worry about.

Die hard hockey/ hockey gaming fans, who are going to want as realistic a simulation to NHL hockey as possible.

And casual gaming/hockey fans who are going to want a more easy and arcade style game, with more dekes, more hits, optional defense, and easy wins in online and offline play.

Since EA has the only hockey game on the market, they know damn well that everyone in category A is going to buy their game no matter how much more unrealistic it gets by the year, and will continue to work on new "features" to cater to group B. This year it's one touch dekes, where they made pulling off a stutter toe drag, or a between the legs and stick deke easier than actually lining up an opponent on defense.

If there was competition in the market, EA would actually have to worry about pleasing both sets of fans, like they had to when 2k games was challenging them, but now they just have to worry about the casual fan, the die hard hockey fan has no other options.

Old
12-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Anyone know if there is a way to make the puck less "bouncy"?

There's nothing more annoying than the CPU dumping the puck in and my defensemen being unable to handle it because it's bounding the height of the glass.
It's to simulate a dump and chase. Dump and chase as you know has been completely ineffective in the prior games.

With the bounce it gives time for the forwards to get in there.

12-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

I hope 2k cones back just so EA has no choice but to actually work their ***** off on improving their product and making it as good as it can be.

Same with EA coming back to the NBA forcing 2k to make a better game there.

Old
12-20-2013, 09:25 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It's to simulate a dump and chase. Dump and chase as you know has been completely ineffective in the prior games.

With the bounce it gives time for the forwards to get in there.
That's fair. Hopefully they implement a fully functional dump-and-chase in next year's game. Get the wingers moving as the puck is dumped in. Have them catch defensemen standing still.

Old
12-20-2013, 10:04 AM
PookDo

Finally back playing after a little over two months.Made up a new pro. 6'4" 230 left winger.Started with the London Knights and got drafted in the first round by the Kings. Played a full year with the Kings and just started the second regular season. I am on the first line and loving it.

Old
12-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Player with 4.5 yellow potential stars wins the calder, 68 points in 79 games ===> No progression.

Wot.
Mike York?

Old
12-20-2013, 10:48 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Mike York?
Barkov.

Not clue how he got those 68 points, since I just simmed the first year right away.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Metalcommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Barkov.

Not clue how he got those 68 points, since I just simmed the first year right away.
I don't know what they've done with Barkov in this game. In NHL 13 when I edited him to be like 4.5 green stars and boosted his stats a little bit he still progressed very slowly. He ended up somewhere around 87 but it took like 6 years. (Boosted) Seth Jones was the same too if I remember correctly.

While good ol' Canadian boys default Drouin and MacKinnon were 88-89 by their third seasons. Don Cherry must have been a part of the development team, would explain the slow sim too. Clear conspiracy!

EDIT: And damn Drouin was a beast in that game. Purely simming he scores 85-110 points every season for atleast ten consecutive seasons once he has progressed. Always drafted him when had the chance.

Old
12-20-2013, 02:38 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

For those who have this game and NHL 13 is it any better ? Is the game worth buying ?

Old
12-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
That's fair. Hopefully they implement a fully functional dump-and-chase in next year's game. Get the wingers moving as the puck is dumped in. Have them catch defensemen standing still.
As much as I'd like to complain about them not coming up with a real way to fix dump and chase (And believe me, I did at first), I really can't think of a way to make it work without a COMPLETE revamp again.

Old
12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Dreakon

To all NHL 14 online players...

Please stop inviting your friends over to play versus games online. Having multiple players running around like idiots just makes the AI completely dysfunctional, which I don't find particularly entertaining.

Signed,
The guy whose favorite team already puts him at a severe disadvantage, and doesn't need this.

Old
12-21-2013, 09:49 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post

Please stop inviting your friends over to play versus games online. Having multiple players running around like idiots just makes the AI completely dysfunctional, which I don't find particularly entertaining.

Signed,
The guy whose favorite team already puts him at a severe disadvantage, and doesn't need this.
Agreed. It's not too bad when every guest on the team knows how to play hockey, but even then, they're at a distinct advantage because they can one guy fly up the wing before they get the puck in the d zone and throw it up the wall for an easy breakaway.

I just played a kid in online versus this morning and I swear I've never encountered such a sore loser. He scored one goal on me (one of those flukey goals that deflects and slides slowly on the ice through a goalie's five hole as he's stuck in a different animation). I answered with two straight early in the second and held on to win, 2-1.

I play a defense-first brand of hockey in the NHL games. I don't take my defensemen completely out of position going for a big open ice hit as my opponent enters the zone. I sit back and let him come to me. It usually leads to easy poke checks and a rush going the other way. He, apparently, didn't like that very much.

At the conclusion of our game, I get a message from him. "rematch (gay slur)." He followed that up with "****in *****."

I sent him a game invite (without ever replying to his message) for a rematch. He joined the game and we started. After a scoreless first period, he messages me and says "ur some greasy u (gay slur)." I, for whatever reason, decided to reply during the cutscenes before a d-zone faceoff with, "Lol ok."

Of course, he scored on the ensuing faceoff (I returned to the game just as the puck was dropped and he scored on an easy slapper from the point).

I eventually tied the game in the third and we went to OT, where he clipped me with a couple of minutes to go. To no surprise, he sends along, "**** u ***** ur some ****in cheap ya (gay slur)."

I said, "you take video games a bit too seriously." He comes back with, "i just hate ppl like u cause ur an embarrasment to the game."

We continued to exchange messages (I don't recall my replies up to this point as I can't find an "outbox" function on the 360, but I'm not one to send obscene/vulgar messages to people over a video game), but he told me that I'm an embarrassment to the game because my connection sucks and I'm cheap.

Some more gems from him: "ur just a (gay slur) i beat u and id beat u ovr and over."

"now i no how ur cheap game play works u will never beat me again lol ur a lil ***** u wont even play again."

"ur scared ****less."

...some people.

EDIT: Just discovered that he thinks I've been doing something called the "rebound glitch." I don't know what that is.

Last edited by gallagt01: 12-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
12-21-2013, 10:23 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

Signed,
OMG. I hate this. It's 2 am on a Thursday night, why do you have 3 people over your house playing NHL.

Why can't they have separate lobbies?

It's not that you can't beat them, but the game just looks like extreme roller derby.

Apparently there was a CHL update (3 months later). How is it?

Old
12-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Willting

This thread is a gigantic sob story. The game is not perfect but it's playable and fun.

I play a defense first style online and its great, I am able to cycle effectively as I realized that shooting like I did in Nhl 13 was tweaked. So you adapt.

Old
12-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
They could put out this game next year, and make absolutely no changes besides fixing the completely useless AI. It would be one of my favorite games ever.

It is just... ugh. I get that a goalie can let in a bad goal every once in a while, but twice a game? Your forwards just take random runs at players without the puck and take penalties? The defense can't intercept a pass or throw a poke check? Your wingers back off on a 2-on-1, no one sets up in front of the net or for a one-timer, and they go for line changes on breakaway passes?

Old
12-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
They could put out this game next year, and make absolutely no changes besides fixing the completely useless AI. It would be one of my favorite games ever.

It is just... ugh. I get that a goalie can let in a bad goal every once in a while, but twice a game? Your forwards just take random runs at players without the puck and take penalties? The defense can't intercept a pass or throw a poke check? Your wingers back off on a 2-on-1, no one sets up in front of the net or for a one-timer, and they go for line changes on breakaway passes?
I don't even see the point of having defense AI, it's not like they do anything. I also hate when I shoot a puck and the rebound goes to the corner but my winger AI who is the closest to the puck decides to go for a change instead. Or when I'm walking the blue line as a defenseman and pass it to my partner, for some reason his skates are outside the blue line so he has to reach to accept that pass which causes him to bring the puck behind the line.

Old
12-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Bullwine85

Once the Olympic rosters come out, I'd expect EA to do a roster update for the international teams in time for the Sochi Olympics. Then again, this IS EA we're talking about

Old
12-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
I don't even see the point of having defense AI, it's not like they do anything. I also hate when I shoot a puck and the rebound goes to the corner but my winger AI who is the closest to the puck decides to go for a change instead. Or when I'm walking the blue line as a defenseman and pass it to my partner, for some reason his skates are outside the blue line so he has to reach to accept that pass which causes him to bring the puck behind the line.
Oh. My. God.

I can't believe I forgot about that.

Old
12-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
As much as I'd like to complain about them not coming up with a real way to fix dump and chase (And believe me, I did at first), I really can't think of a way to make it work without a COMPLETE revamp again.
All they would have to do was edit the AI so that they start hustling after the puck as soon as you dump it into the zone, which should be especially easy to do with the flip dump, which is it's own control. The reason dump and chase is so ineffective is that the AI forwards just stand around while the puck is traveling into the zone giving the defensemen ample time to retrieve the puck and break out without facing any pressure. If the AI forwards would simply get after the puck as soon as it's being dumped in, like you're taught to in pee wee, it would work.

Right now dump and chase is completely useless, and it ruins the flow of the game when someone actually executes a good neutral zone trap because instead of dumping it in, players (self included) will simply pass the puck back to their own blueline and try a breakout over and over again until a lane opens up. The only time I ever dump the puck is on the PK, or when I need a change.
Quote:

Signed,
I find that 99% of the time, opponents with guests put you at a huge advantage to win the game. Every once in a while you run into players that know how to make it work, but most of the time I find that you wind up with opponents chasing the puck all over and some good simple passing will turn the game into an odd man rush party for you. The biggest key to beating teams of 2 and 3 users in online versus play is just patience. Wait for them to run around, don't panic, pass the puck, and enjoy the ensuing 3 on 1.

Old
12-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Redwings21

My be a gm mode team in nhl 14 is:
Drouin, 89. Stamkos, 92. Cramarossa 89
Mackinnon 88. Hajt, 86. Valk, 88
Saad, 81. Sobotka, 81. Versteeg, 83.
Brunner, 80. Peverly, 80. Mantha, 80

Oleg frolov, 92. Seth jones, 90
D. Hamilton, 85. Ryan Ellis, 87
Aaron eckblad, 83. Ryan sproul, 82.

J. Quick, 90. J. Da silva, 85

I'm the Ottawa senators, in the 2019 season. Is my team as crazy good as I think or is this fairly typical?

Old
12-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
All they would have to do was edit the AI so that they start hustling after the puck as soon as you dump it into the zone, which should be especially easy to do with the flip dump, which is it's own control. The reason dump and chase is so ineffective is that the AI forwards just stand around while the puck is traveling into the zone giving the defensemen ample time to retrieve the puck and break out without facing any pressure. If the AI forwards would simply get after the puck as soon as it's being dumped in, like you're taught to in pee wee, it would work.

Right now dump and chase is completely useless, and it ruins the flow of the game when someone actually executes a good neutral zone trap because instead of dumping it in, players (self included) will simply pass the puck back to their own blueline and try a breakout over and over again until a lane opens up. The only time I ever dump the puck is on the PK, or when I need a change.
Unfortunately they would need to hit unreal speeds for it to be effective. Even in EASHL where every player is controlled individually dump and chase doesn't work. It just doesn't work outside of real life and it's nearly impossible to have it implemented.

In my opinion, I can't see it working without the puck bounce.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Unfortunately they would need to hit unreal speeds for it to be effective. Even in EASHL where every player is controlled individually dump and chase doesn't work. It just doesn't work outside of real life and it's nearly impossible to have it implemented.

In my opinion, I can't see it working without the puck bounce.
I think another aspect of it is that the pucks are dumped in too hard as well. There's really no option for a soft corner chip which would really allow forwards to challenge for the puck. It's admittedly one of the hardest aspects of sports to program because of the chaotic nature of dump and chase, but I refuse to believe it can't be done. I'm fairly confident that if the popularity of the NHL and NFL were reversed, they would have it already in NHL14.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:54 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Dump and chase doesn't work because the limited control you have over a player is not enough to effectively create a good forecheck. When the defensemen gets the puck all you have to do is send the puck up the boards and you have escaped the dump and chase. In real life forwards are able to pressure the defensemen on the boards effectively eliminating that as an option to send the puck because in real life unless the puck is slapped around the boards its relatively easy to position your body against the boards to effectively stop the puck from going around them. In the game you can't do that save for the few times a defensemen attempts to hold the line, goes into a ridiculously awkward animation you have no control of. Any other time and the puck just goes by as your player waves his stick in the general direction of it. The other problem is with the way players in the game handle the puck. In the game you simply have complete control of the puck or you have none. Board play is a step in the right direction in regards to this. But even so as you are tied up on the boards you can basically throw the puck anywhere you want. IRL sometimes you are forced to shield the puck using your body but while doing this you effectively give away control over the puck to keep the opponent from getting to it. And sure after you make that play you may have an opportunity to move the puck but it would not be easy or a perfect crisp pass to the tape of another player and the forechecking player would have a better chance at getting possession of the puck.

Oh and as for the vs. Opponents with guests? Yes please! Typically at least one of the guests is terrible at the game. I enjoy it so much when the guest ends up taking all the face offs. There's also a relatively high chance the guest typically goes for a hit with a defensemen. I think I've played one game where 2 people were on a team and gave me a good game. But after a while you develop a strategy that works and it typically involves cycling the puck very quickly. Most human players can't keep up on switching to players on d from one to the other to the other as the puck circles around over and over and eventually a hole opens up.

Old
12-23-2013, 04:17 PM
PlayTheTrap
GM: 8 Cups/22 years

My only real beef with the AI is when you are on Superstar difficulty. The game will flat out cheat just to score and win.

Faceoffs between a lower-rated FO center and my higher-rated FO center can and will usually be lost. Pucks are completely unable to be picked up by my defensemen, even with no bounce. Passes will go in the opposite direction of where you aimed them, usually RIGHT on the tape of an opposing player's stick. Every shot that beats the goalie is either a miss or hits the post. Nothing angers me more than racking up 12+ of those shots, outshooting the CPU 15-3 in a period, and being outscored 2-0 because YOUR goalie (even if he's 90+) lets in backhands from the blueline or jumps so far out of position my gandmother could score.

Old
12-24-2013, 12:57 AM
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton

I had no idea DS4 works for the PS3. Feels so much better than my broken up DS3.

Closed Thread