HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

** NHL 14 Thread ** (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Are the first rounders, particularly top-10 guys all solid? I remember some from last year only having 3 stars.

And is it more consistent? I remember some drafts being great with 4 star guys all over the place, but some drafts not having a single good player outside the top-5.

And are the potential start accurate? Some from last year with 4.5 stars didn't even develop.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:33 PM
neutral*

vCash: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Had a 11-9 game in drop in where both teams had cpu goalies

game is so bad
Agreed

Old
09-13-2013, 02:50 PM
CaptainCamaro

vCash: 500
Man... if all you guys hate it so much then dont play. I think EA even has a slip in the game package that says you can return it straight to them if you're not satisfied or something. All i hear is complaining, i enjoy the game, if you don't, then complain once and leave, you aren't being forced to play it. Go join a real league and play real life hockey instead or play another game, or get a life.

/endrant

Old
09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
NYR89

If you play exclusively offline, is this game an upgrade over NHL 13? The GM and BAP last season were awful.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:00 PM
tucker3434

I'm really hoping for a roster update to fix the lines. The Avs lines are last years. Hejduk is a first liner in nhl 14 but he isn't even on the team anymore. Hunwick is on top pairing. Id be happy if theyd just have an option for "best lines" in the pre game screen. They also need to get on with the adjustments to the guys just drafted. It's very clear a handfull of them are nhlers right now and deserve way more than their 50's and 60's ratings.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCamaro View Post
Man... if all you guys hate it so much then dont play. I think EA even has a slip in the game package that says you can return it straight to them if you're not satisfied or something. All i hear is complaining, i enjoy the game, if you don't, then complain once and leave, you aren't being forced to play it. Go join a real league and play real life hockey instead or play another game, or get a life.

/endrant
To hell with constructive criticism? I'd rather hear about what is wrong with the game and how it can be fixed than to hear a mindless lemming write that "this game is flawless and so much fun!" I haven't purchased the game yet and want to learn as much as possible about the offline gameplay experience before I waste a penny on it.

Who the **** are you to say to others on a forum to post once and leave? You're not a mod so shut up with that crap, take a page from your own book of advice and get a life if you are going to take things so personally when discussing a friggin' video game.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:14 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
To hell with constructive criticism? I'd rather hear about what is wrong with the game and how it can be fixed than to hear a mindless lemming write that "this game is flawless and so much fun!" I haven't purchased the game yet and want to learn as much as possible about the offline gameplay experience before I waste a penny on it.

Who the **** are you to say to others on a forum to post once and leave? You're not a mod so shut up with that crap, take a page from your own book of advice and get a life if you are going to take things so personally when discussing a friggin' video game.
To be fair, when someone leaves a post saying "game is bad" or another one saying that they agree its bad, that's not really constructive criticism, that's just complaining.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
played live the life, superstar, hardcore simulation. 1st game in the NHL as a 68 sniper. Hat-trick with an assist. Kings win 9-1.
You're just too freaking good dude.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:20 PM
CaptainCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

LOL talk about taking things personally.. eek.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
If you play exclusively offline, is this game an upgrade over NHL 13? The GM and BAP last season were awful.
Stellar upgrade in terms of Be a GM. Is it perfect? No but it is massively improved (Sim speed is greatly improved, trade logic is slightly improved, drafting is improved in terms of finding gems in the later rounds and more accurate player potential). BAP... is another animal. Is it an upgrade? Technically and only so because they added some content. Has the original content changed? Barely. You still won't get traded if you request a trade. The interview questions become annoying and redundant. Its impossible to have below a 90 fan approval rating after your first or second year and if your team is winning, there are few answers that will drop your approval with management and allow you to be traded. I was demoted after 4 games (an 83 OV rated player who had 9 goals and was 1st place in the race for the Calder in order to teach me "a lesson regarding my lackluster play") even though I didn't have a single interview or chance to screw anything up.

I don't usually play for BAP or LTL but I am giving it more of a shot this year. Usually I purchase the game because of Be a GM. I simmed close to 500 seasons worth in NHL 10. Didn't do more than 15 in NHL 12 or NHL 13 due to the mode being so broken and slow. This year I have already simmed about 8 and am loving it. I wish they would go back to the whole A B C etc. for ratings instead of the stars but that's just semantics.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 09-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old
09-13-2013, 03:49 PM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCamaro View Post

/endrant
agreed

Old
09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I feel the game runs more smoothly now. Things count the way they are supposed to (assists going where they should, icings being called correctly, more and better variety of penalty calls and hits/blocked shots counting the way they should).

Old
09-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Ghost AsylumX91

This might sound stupid but I do not know where to find my Pre-Order code. Where is it? I Pre-order at EB Games and open the case to find the Season Ticket Info voucher thing, and the warranty/legal booklet. But found nothing that looks like a Pre-Order Offer Code.

Old
09-13-2013, 04:04 PM
NYR89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner McKay View Post
Stellar upgrade in terms of Be a GM. Is it perfect? No but it is massively improved (Sim speed is greatly improved, trade logic is slightly improved, drafting is improved in terms of finding gems in the later rounds and more accurate player potential). BAP... is another animal. Is it an upgrade? Technically and only so because they added some content. Has the original content changed? Barely. You still won't get traded if you request a trade. The interview questions become annoying and redundant. Its impossible to have below a 90 fan approval rating after your first or second year and if your team is winning, there are few answers that will drop your approval with management and allow you to be traded. I was demoted after 4 games (an 83 OV rated player who had 9 goals and was 1st place in the race for the Calder in order to teach me "a lesson regarding my lackluster play") even though I didn't have a single interview or chance to screw anything up.

I don't usually play for BAP or LTL but I am giving it more of a shot this year. Usually I purchase the game because of Be a GM. I simmed close to 500 seasons worth in NHL 10. Didn't do more than 15 in NHL 12 or NHL 13 due to the mode being so broken and slow. This year I have already simmed about 8 and am loving it. I wish they would go back to the whole A B C etc. for ratings instead of the stars but that's just semantics.
Thanks for the feedback. I play mostly Be a GM so that's encouraging.

Old
09-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost AsylumX91 View Post
This might sound stupid but I do not know where to find my Pre-Order code. Where is it? I Pre-order at EB Games and open the case to find the Season Ticket Info voucher thing, and the warranty/legal booklet. But found nothing that looks like a Pre-Order Offer Code.
You should have 2 codes on your receipt. One for HUT winter classic stuff, other for Be a Pro equipment (I think).

Old
09-13-2013, 04:37 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
I should stop boarding.

Old
09-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Haven't got the game yet last 3 games I have pre ordered. This year I haven't cuz of $ issues. I may wait until early October when rosters are finalized. After the demo I am itching to have it.

Got this $10 off EA games thing from Mcdonalds I hope I can use it at Gamestop and I wonder how much I will have to pay for the game if I trade in

Hitman
NCAA Football 13
NHL 11
NHL 13

and a few other games

Old
09-13-2013, 05:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

As I said before this game is definitely great and what NHL 13 should've been, but I do have a few problems.

1) The AI is still stupid and you can't rely on it for anything except setting them up for a snipe shot. This needs to be improved.

2) Defensive AI is still lacking considerable and now the only goals the computer is scoring are wrap around top shelfs from behind the net, such crap.

Besides this I am having a ton of fun thus far.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I love this game. I haven't played NHL since 2010, so this is a HUGE upgrade. Battling in the corners is much better. The skating actually looks like skating, and feels great, too.

I have a few questions, though. I'm not sure if my controller is acting up or I'm hitting the wrong buttons, but if I am skating with a player he'll randomly do a deke or if he doesn't have the puck he'll randomly go on his knees to block a shot. I would think this would be my controller being stupid, but I've noticed it do it sometimes when I push down on L3 three times for a speed burst. Is that no longer in the game? Could that make my guy do a random deke or randomly block a shot.

Old
09-13-2013, 07:29 PM
LilySmoov

Man I hate the new no-touch hitting system.

Now as a defenseman, when you're one-on-one with someone just trying to angle them off, if you get too close, the computer makes you throw a hit, taking you out of position and giving up open ice.

Why is there not an option for turning this crap off?

Old
09-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Is OTP any good this year?

Old
09-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I love this game. I haven't played NHL since 2010, so this is a HUGE upgrade. Battling in the corners is much better. The skating actually looks like skating, and feels great, too.

I have a few questions, though. I'm not sure if my controller is acting up or I'm hitting the wrong buttons, but if I am skating with a player he'll randomly do a deke or if he doesn't have the puck he'll randomly go on his knees to block a shot. I would think this would be my controller being stupid, but I've noticed it do it sometimes when I push down on L3 three times for a speed burst. Is that no longer in the game? Could that make my guy do a random deke or randomly block a shot.
You're probably accidentally pressing L1/LB, since L1 is what makes you go on your knees when thr opposing team has the puck, and it's the button that you use to make dekes.

09-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
Man I hate the new no-touch hitting system.

Now as a defenseman, when you're one-on-one with someone just trying to angle them off, if you get too close, the computer makes you throw a hit, taking you out of position and giving up open ice.

Why is there not an option for turning this crap off?
There is. It is in controller settings, near where you turn off auto-backskate.

Old
09-13-2013, 09:21 PM
LilySmoov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
There is. It is in controller settings, near where you turn off auto-backskate.
So there is. Lawl @ me.

I knew I should've checked first.

Old
09-14-2013, 12:27 AM
KaraLupin
카라

So how do you put a guy's head down in a fight? First you tie them up, then what?

Closed Thread