HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Jobu

vCash: 500
Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129769

Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned.

With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club.

Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Judge Smails
How 'bout a Fresca?

I have a feeling Reebok and Gatorade may be a wee bit disappointed if young Sid wasn't part of the "new and improved" NHL, starting this season.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:05 PM
egotist

This seems like an obvious ploy to get Crosby some sort of exemption from the new entry level salary structure in the new CBA.

Even if its not, let him rot there in a 2nd-rate league on top of a lonely pile of money if that's where he wants to play.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails
I have a feeling Reebok and Gatorade may be a wee bit disappointed if young Sid wasn't part of the "new and improved" NHL, starting this season.

I have a feeling is that Sid doesn't get paid if there is no NHL. You can't tell me Reebok and Gatorade didn't put in provisions in case the lockout went on

Old
AM

see yah later!

dont go away mad just go away.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
He obviously will be. He is leading the "re-launching" of the NHL.

This is just precautionary talk, IMO...

Old
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
Interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129769

Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned.

With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club.

Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.
I say let him play in Switzerland if he wants. The kid is going to make a fortune unless he pulls an Alexander Daigle anyway, so what if he has to wait a couple years to hit the real home run? The best league in the world has to set a reasonable rookie cap and if he wants to play in that league, he will have to accept that reality. In his case it might be a bit unfair, but hey, who among us hasn't had to play with worse cards than that??

Old
Jobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by egotist
This seems like an obvious ploy to get Crosby some sort of exemption from the new entry level salary structure in the new CBA.

Even if its not, let him rot there in a 2nd-rate league on top of a lonely pile of money if that's where he wants to play.
It doesn't appear like a plot inasmuch as it looks like Brisson and IMG attempted to keep this quiet. I suppose the conspiracy theorists will suggest that this was all orchrestrated, but I doubt it.

Like Brisson says, it would be negligent for them NOT to listen.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
davemess

Im sure his sponser will be very happy to see him playing in Switzerland

Old
Jobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I have a feeling is that Sid doesn't get paid if there is no NHL. You can't tell me Reebok and Gatorade didn't put in provisions in case the lockout went on
His Gatorade and Reebok contracts are peanuts compared to the difference between $10m over three years and the max under the rookie cap.

Also, it's not like these products are not sold and consumed outside of North America.

Old
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by egotist

I thought the same thing and if it is a ploy BBB says it ain't going to work..

Old
07-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Gatorade was intervied on the Leafs Lunch and said that there is no such limit or restriction in Crosy's endorsement deal with Gatorade .. In fact its only a Canadian Endorsement only and Gatorade US and International had nothing to do with it, but it could be expanded in the future ..

Old
07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM
dont go away mad just go away.
Wow, what an incredible post! So much for making sure I read all of Bobby Mac's posts, I'm gonna have to make sure I never miss a single post of yours. Reasoning like this is impossible to pass up.

In all seriousness, as stated, I'm sure Reebok and Gatorade have an NHL clause in their deals. However, Brisson wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least listen to what the Swiss team was offering.

EDIT: Messenger has corrected me. Then it is a little more concerning.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
The first stages of the new CBA in action ...

Sounds like the CBA will be very fan friendly ..
OR

maybe he is trying to dictate where he ends up in the NHL. There is no way he goes to Carolina to rot there forever. If he gets drafted by Carolina, I bet anything he goes to Europe (and I dont blame him the way that franchise is run).

Maybe Sid goes and plays in the Swiss League, make an exorbitant amount of money for a couple of years, then re-enter the NHL entry draft in 2 years so that when he plays at the entry level contract, he has already pocketed an insane amount of money to hold him over for three years until he starts making the big bucks.

Old
Le Golie

The article and reaction are spinning out of control here. Here are two paraphrased quotes by Brisson that are very important, but everyone is ignoring:

"When a team offers that much money, the least you can do is listen to the offer."

"His goal is to play in the NHL, but we have to cover our basis."

Relax folks. Lugano is hard, all Crosby is doing is hearing them out until the NHL is back in busines.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Gatorade was intervied on the Leafs Lunch and said that there is no such limit or restriction in Crosy's endorsement deal with Gatorade .. In fact its only a Canadian Endorsement only and Gatorade US and International had nothing to do with it, but it could be expanded in the future ..

That's a brilliant business move if they're going to pay him while he is playing in Switzerland sleeping in motels.

BRILLIANT.

Old
London Knights

Reportedly it is 3 years 10 million.

Would he still not be considered a rookie when he finally went to the NHL though. He would be an overage rookie, but a rookie nonetheless.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
His Gatorade and Reebok contracts are peanuts compared to the difference between $10m over three years and the max under the rookie cap.

Also, it's not like these products are not sold and consumed outside of North America.
Are you saying his endorsements are less than ~6-7M over 3 years?? If so, he's getting ripped compared to other athletes.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Jobu

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores
Are you saying his endorsements are less than ~6-7M over 3 years?? If so, he's getting ripped compared to other athletes.
Well, I believe the Reebok deal is $2.5m over 5 years.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/dan_pollard.asp?id=117839

And the Gatorade deal is rumoured to be a lot less.

So, yes.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
X0ssbar

Another knee-jerk reaction by someone associated with the NHL b/c they want the status quo.

Times are changing in the NHL and these people should get on board instead of constantly balking.

The rookie cap is a necessary evil. Too often young NHLers don't prove their financial worth under the old system and the owners get left holding the bag. So god forbid a young player actually has to prove his worth in this league before actually hitting the big payday - sounds fair to me.

Its a crime that IMG is dragging Crosby's name through the mud like this. I guarantee it if you ask the kid himself he would play in the NHL no matter what the salary restrictions were.

I pin this one soley on the shoulders of his greedy agents. They said it in the article themselves - ""It's a serious offer. We're keeping in mind that Sidney's goal is to play in the National Hockey League but we have to listen."

The kid wants to play in the NHL - so get the fug outta the way and let him!

Old
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Hawker14

i wouldn't blame crosby if he did take the money in europe.

he'd certainly be worth more than $ 850,000/yr for whatever team drafts him in the nhl if he plays for them.

i think nba style salary slotting for draft picks would've been the best cba strategy for the league to ensure top prospects will indeed play in the league.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
The article and reaction are spinning out of control here. Here are two paraphrased quotes by Brisson that are very important, but everyone is ignoring:

"When a team offers that much money, the least you can do is listen to the offer."

"His goal is to play in the NHL, but we have to cover our basis."

Relax folks. Lugano is hard, all Crosby is doing is hearing them out until the NHL is back in busines.
Nash and Thornton said they loved playing in the swiss league during the lockout .. Wouldn't want to do it long term but was very enjoyable non the less..

Old
07-06-2005, 04:28 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Well, I believe the Reebok deal is $2.5m over 5 years.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/dan_pollard.asp?id=117839

And the Gatorade deal is rumoured to be a lot less.

So, yes.
thanks... I never looked into it. I just can't believe a pro athlete expected to head endorsements in the upcoming years gets so little... I know BBall and hockey are on different financial terms and so is their marketing power, but Lebron got like 60M from Nike while in HS...

just seems like Sid got ripped then.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Tra La La

Let Him go. Restructering the League is more important.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Nash and Thornton said they loved playing in the swiss league during the lockout .. Wouldn't want to do it long term but was very enjoyable non the less..
I thought that a lot of other guys complained though... espectially considering the bus rides, hotels, food, carrying their own equipment. I can't remember where, but I think that Halpern mentioned all those things in an article around the time his mother passed away.

Closed Thread