HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 04:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Maybe Sid's doing a little "Eli" manuevering pre-draft lottery???

Hey Pens fans, don't worry I'm sure that Jack Johnson is not a bad seed like Sid. Feel free to pick him first if you win the lottery.

Also, I'm betting this thread hits 30 pages by tomorrow morning.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
OR

maybe he is trying to dictate where he ends up in the NHL. There is no way he goes to Carolina to rot there forever. If he gets drafted by Carolina, I bet anything he goes to Europe (and I dont blame him the way that franchise is run).
Apparently, THAT franchise has made it to the big dance lately, has yours?

THAT franchise also followed up that SC run by resigning their players = showing loyalty. Then when the team faltered, they went into a rebuilding. Like, developing players, drafting them, etc.

THAT franchise also has the USA hockey coach as their coach.

THAT franchise also has some good young talent.

Maybe you should put a sign over your avatar that reads "DETOUR."

Old
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Not surprising by IMG to "create" a magical market. I say the owners call bluff and say ok go ahead to Europe. I'd be willing to bet there is more to this story than you think and I bet 95 percent of it is setup by the NHLPA and IMG. I can also say that Crosby will never see a Euro-league after the CBA is ratified too. I can't see Lugano offering 3.33m /yr on this kid, unless his salary is subsidized.....and I'll reframe to mention how this "creative market" can be created and by whom.
I say call bluff and laugh.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:45 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
The article and reaction are spinning out of control here. Here are two paraphrased quotes by Brisson that are very important, but everyone is ignoring:

"When a team offers that much money, the least you can do is listen to the offer."

"His goal is to play in the NHL, but we have to cover our basis."

Relax folks. Lugano is hard, all Crosby is doing is hearing them out until the NHL is back in busines.
THAT requires actually reading the article and understanding what was said...

Old
07-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores
I thought that a lot of other guys complained though... espectially considering the bus rides, hotels, food, carrying their own equipment.
My heart bleeds for them.

I know one football manager who takes his players and makes them work a 12 hour shift down a mine before every season starts just to remind them what real life is like and to make them see how lucky they are.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:46 PM
babybruin

This may have been covered eons ago, but I remembered seeing a comment from the QMJHL commisioner when it was very up in the air if there would be an NHL season coming up, or a draft etc. He stated that from their point of view if there was no NHL, then the Q was where he was contractually obligated to stay. I do not claim to know the legal justifications one way or the other, but I always wondered this during commentary here when people said he'll just go to europe. I managed to dig up an old link:

Crosby will remain in QMJHL - Courteau
Commissioner says star is bound by his junior contract
http://www.canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs....RIEF/301260057

Edit: Same content, but a bit more credibility via TSN:
No draft means Crosby in the Q?
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112587

Old
07-06-2005, 04:49 PM
AH

Quote:
Apparently, THAT franchise has made it to the big dance lately, has yours?

THAT franchise also followed up that SC run by resigning their players = showing loyalty. Then when the team faltered, they went into a rebuilding. Like, developing players, drafting them, etc.

THAT franchise also has the USA hockey coach as their coach.

THAT franchise also has some good young talent.

Maybe you should put a sign over your avatar that reads "DETOUR."
Who cares. Lightning in a bottle doesn't count for anything. That franchise has been a doormat for too long. Something has got to give.

And so what if they have the great Peter Laviolette as their coach. Honestly, that's nothing to write home about.

But anyways, I digress. This is not about whether Carolina is a well run franchise. It doesn't change the fact that Carolina and the likes are the backwoods of the NHL, and no phenom which the NHL envisions as a big marketing tool, will ever go to a place like Carolina.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
My heart bleeds for them.

I know one football manager who takes his players and makes them work a 12 hour shift down a mine before every season starts just to remind them what real life is like and to make them see how lucky they are.
Yeah, but didn't Blackburn chase Bobby away last year for being such a hard arse?

Old
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybruin
This may have been covered eons ago, but I remembered seeing a comment from the QMJHL commisioner when it was very up in the air if there would be an NHL season coming up, or a draft etc. He stated that from their point of view if there was no NHL, then the Q was where he was contractually obligated to stay. I do not claim to know the legal justifications one way or the other, but I always wondered this during commentary here when people said he'll just go to europe. I managed to dig up an old link:

Crosby will remain in QMJHL - Courteau
Commissioner says star is bound by his junior contract
http://www.canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs....RIEF/301260057

Edit: Same content, but a bit more credibility via TSN:
No draft means Crosby in the Q?
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112587
crosby isn't bound to the Q...they have no way of forcing him to return and rimouski has already basically conceded that he won't be back.

and with no nhl/chl agreement they can't even stop him from playing in the ahl either.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
no13matssundin

Ok, so, im nowhere pro-player in this mess, but if Im Sydney and I have the choice to make 850K plus 85K bonus a year for 4 yrs or 10 million dollars over 3 years, Ill take the 10 Million, play in Europe for three years, then sign as a FA in the NHL in 2008. Honestly.

From a financial standpoint, this is a complete complete no brainer. Take the money, get paid, and come to the NHL as a FA and make even more money as a seasoned player ready to play in the NHL instead of a rookie getting under a mil a year.

If Crosby DOESNT sign this deal with Lugano, I'll vomit.

I want to see him in the NHL too, dont get me wrong, but financially, this sets him up for life NHL or no-NHL.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Hunter74

Is anyone else getting the impression that Crosby has a really big ego now?

First his camp says if there snot enough money fro rookies he's going to Europ. Then he wants to break his contract with his Q team b/c he's too good for the CHL now. He is under contract with his CHL team right now isn't he? I seen something on tv were tehy were saying he is still under contract with his CHL team.

Whats up with this kid? Another shot at a memorial cup not good enough? Money more important than winning a memorial cup or even playing in the NHL.

I thought everyone was saying how he is so mature and down to earth. Sounds like your typical money hungry little punk whos only in it for teh cash.

Hope im wrong and its just his agent thats making him look this way.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:54 PM
tantalum

Well Crosby was signing autographs in his hometown here in HRM the other day and he certainly talking as if he is solely focused on the NHL. And based on the comments his agent made that people have ignored somewhat he is saying the same thing.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
Let Him go. Restructering the League is more important.
Agreed. I don't want to see a special entry contract just for Crosby. If he wants to he can go. By the second year of his contract he will be pissed that he is stuck over there as the NHL is back to playing great hockey.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

Complete idiocy if true. He has several multi-million endorsement deals already, and that could be where the bulk of his earnings lie and he wants to tarnish his image. Very short sighted if true. I said this about AO pulling similar recently (something about an apartment not being nice enough) and got skewered for it . . . . . but yes, would worry me a small bit if I got him but only as to future contract negotiations once the rookie cap ran out. Not enough that I would not want him, but still not a positive by any means.

Old
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
Ok, so, im nowhere pro-player in this mess, but if Im Sydney and I have the choice to make 850K plus 85K bonus a year for 4 yrs or 10 million dollars over 3 years, Ill take the 10 Million, play in Europe for three years, then sign as a FA in the NHL in 2008. Honestly.

From a financial standpoint, this is a complete complete no brainer. Take the money, get paid, and come to the NHL as a FA and make even more money as a seasoned player ready to play in the NHL instead of a rookie getting under a mil a year.

If Crosby DOESNT sign this deal with Lugano, I'll vomit.

I want to see him in the NHL too, dont get me wrong, but financially, this sets him up for life NHL or no-NHL.
Can he sign as an FA in 2008?

Old
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
and with no nhl/chl agreement they can't even stop him from playing in the ahl either.
Isn't there a minimum age of 20 for the AHL?

Old
07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy
Can he sign as an FA in 2008?

I would think If unsigned, at some point he renters the draft.

Old
07-06-2005, 05:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum
Well Crosby was signing autographs in his hometown here in HRM the other day and he certainly talking as if he is solely focused on the NHL. And based on the comments his agent made that people have ignored somewhat he is saying the same thing.
Isn't this the same kid who "accidently" mentioned he'd be a replacement player to play in the NHL. Obviously this is his focus.

Also, while he may be a UFA (when going to the NHL) if he goes to Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if he is still accountable to the entry level contract obligations whether he's 22 or 18. But that's just a guess based on the CBA.

Old
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO
Isn't there a minimum age of 20 for the AHL?
No there is no limitation on age ..

Old
07-06-2005, 05:03 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin

From a financial standpoint, this is a complete complete no brainer.
Yeah it is a no brainer alright. Just exclude Corporate agreements, merchandising money, tv/media appearance fees, being the face of the new NHL etc.
I bet 10 million will be peanuts what this kid will pull in over a 3yr period.

Also, if your the NHLPA and IMG, the last you want is to "REALLY" go to Europe. Not only will this kid bring in more dough, as mention above, but HE is a revenue generator....which increases revenues....which will increase ALL player salaries in a linked system. Think, don't assume.
Randy

Old
07-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Timmy

Quote:
...and would still be subject to the rookie cap?

If true, it would seem to me that he would make more money by playing under the rookie cap and then negotiate hard as an RFA than to re-enter the draft and sign as a rookie 3 or 4 years hence...

Old
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
AM

I dont think rookies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Wow, what an incredible post! So much for making sure I read all of Bobby Mac's posts, I'm gonna have to make sure I never miss a single post of yours. Reasoning like this is impossible to pass up.

In all seriousness, as stated, I'm sure Reebok and Gatorade have an NHL clause in their deals. However, Brisson wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least listen to what the Swiss team was offering.

EDIT: Messenger has corrected me. Then it is a little more concerning.
should dictate anything.

If he wants to play in Europe let him go.

Old
07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Not if the new CBA works the same way as the old one in that regard. If he signs with any other professional league, he's considered a "defected player" and his rights stay with the NHL team that drafted him.

Old
07-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
Interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129769

Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned.

With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club.

Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.

Good. Let his ass go over there and be miserable riding a bus learning a new language. He can wave bye bye to North American endorsement deals too.

Brisson sucks and is only trying to influence the negotiations.

Old
07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Pepper

Let him play in Europe, if short-term financial advantage is his main priority then we're not missing anything.

Closed Thread