HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egotist
This seems like an obvious ploy to get Crosby some sort of exemption from the new entry level salary structure in the new CBA.

Even if its not, let him rot there in a 2nd-rate league on top of a lonely pile of money if that's where he wants to play.
He might as well stay there forever if he is going to start there. I mean afterall even after three years in the swiss league, he'd still only be able to sign an entry level nhl contract, no?

Old
07-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
He might as well stay there forever if he is going to start there. I mean afterall even after three years in the swiss league, he'd still only be able to sign an entry level nhl contract, no?
Old CBA said age 25 is the ELS ceiling

Here is the old CBA limits

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/article9.html

Last edited by Mess: 07-06-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old
07-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Master Shake

The next collective bargaining agreement is believed to cap entry-level salaries to a maximum of $850,000 a season over three years, the same amount it was 10 years ago. Hard-to-reach bonuses could be worth as much as $3 million but they won't be gimmes like the previous deal

Whats he afraid of?

Old
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM
canes-sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
It doesn't change the fact that Carolina and the likes are the backwoods of the NHL, and no phenom which the NHL envisions as a big marketing tool, will ever go to a place like Carolina.
Hello hockey gods? Are you listening?

Old
07-06-2005, 06:00 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

I find it funny how easy it is for you all to turn down someone elses millions.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:00 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM
should dictate anything.

If he wants to play in Europe let him go.
Within the parameters of the cba I believe they should be able to dictate their own fate. As you said, if he wants to go over there, let him go. Similarly, if his agent wants to create a fake market for him, theres no reason that should be looked down upon. Its just "playing the game".

Whole lot of overreacting in this thread. So basically, an agent shouldn't listen to an offer that is worth millions more than the one he'll get in a few months? Interesting.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:03 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hunter74
Is anyone else getting the impression that Crosby has a really big ego now?

First his camp says if there snot enough money fro rookies he's going to Europ. Then he wants to break his contract with his Q team b/c he's too good for the CHL now. He is under contract with his CHL team right now isn't he? I seen something on tv were tehy were saying he is still under contract with his CHL team.

Whats up with this kid? Another shot at a memorial cup not good enough? Money more important than winning a memorial cup or even playing in the NHL.

I thought everyone was saying how he is so mature and down to earth. Sounds like your typical money hungry little punk whos only in it for teh cash.

Hope im wrong and its just his agent thats making him look this way.
Why? Because his agent is using the fact that he is the most highly regarded prospect since Lindros to get the most for his client? That, in some strange way, makes Crosby a money hungry little punk who's only in it for the cash? Ridiculous. Guess what, he IS too good for the CHL. I've never once gotten the impression that he had a particularly large ego, and no one's perception of him should change from that article.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Why? Because his agent is using the fact that he is the most highly regarded prospect since Lindros to get the most for his client? That, in some strange way, makes Crosby a money hungry little punk who's only in it for the cash? Ridiculous. Guess what, he IS too good for the CHL. I've never once gotten the impression that he had a particularly large ego, and no one's perception of him should change from that article.

This is IMG trying to subvert the CBA, Before it's finalised. Plain and Simple. Just Like The Crap about declaring unsigned draftees free agents.

To H#ll with IMG and all the agents. If Crosby has to go, then for the sake of the league let him. He's just a pawn in IMG's game.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:24 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Complete idiocy if true. He has several multi-million endorsement deals already, and that could be where the bulk of his earnings lie and he wants to tarnish his image. Very short sighted if true. I said this about AO pulling similar recently (something about an apartment not being nice enough) and got skewered for it . . . . . but yes, would worry me a small bit if I got him but only as to future contract negotiations once the rookie cap ran out. Not enough that I would not want him, but still not a positive by any means.
Someone mentioned earlier that his reebok deal is 500k a year and the gatorade one is lower. Looks like his endorsements are on par with an American bowler.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:25 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO
Isn't there a minimum age of 20 for the AHL?
that rule was set up as part of the nhl/chl agreement and applied ONLY to chl players. there is no limit for college or european prospects...but that agreement expired so the rule doesn't apply. thats why guys like horton, bergeron, etc played in the ahl at 19 this year...

Old
07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
fcbarcelona

As if anyone here wouldn't consider going to switzerland for 3.33 M per year!?

RANT ALERT!

I find it funny that some posters here treat players like dirt despite how involved they are in their communities. These guys are truly down to earth. Just witness how remorseful they are with the many quotes that have beem published.

If any group of people should be treated with such disrespect, it's the owners. Look how little tickets prices are being reduced. Look how idiotic some teams have been when handing out front-loaded contracts to pillage a team of its best players. Many of these guys only view fans as ATM machines. Blindly supporting the richest of the world...that's exactly what got Bush in trouble as well.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman
Someone mentioned earlier that his reebok deal is 500k a year and the gatorade one is lower. Looks like his endorsements are on par with an American bowler.
Let's be realistic. Endorsement deals are based somewhat on TV rating, as a majority of the advertising will be the related games. No NHL star is going to make a fraction of what a NFL or NBA star makes, because the TV ratings are so much lower.

I think that this is just a case of SC's agent doing his job and trying to scare the NHL into putting in a special clause in the CBA. If the NHL doesn't, all IMG can do is tell Crosby to suck it up for 4 years, and then cash in. Makes you wonder why he needs to be paying an agent a percentage, which is what IMG is scared by.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Crosby isn't worth a special clause.

Outside the die hard hockey fans, no one knows (or particularly cares) who Crosby is. He is not Gretzky or Lemieux. He is not the NHL's savior.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:43 PM
X0ssbar

I think its unfair to pin anything on Crosby at this point - he isn't even quoted in the article.

I don't know nearly what some of my fellow posters here know about this kid but every interview I've seen the kid seems pretty down to earth and all I've heard him talk about is playing in the NHL.

Unfortunately the kid is still a teenager and he has put his trust with his agents and it is they that are dragging his name through the mud will all of their so called options.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:48 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
This is IMG trying to subvert the CBA, Before it's finalised. Plain and Simple. Just Like The Crap about declaring unsigned draftees free agents.

To H#ll with IMG and all the agents. If Crosby has to go, then for the sake of the league let him. He's just a pawn in IMG's game.
Were you in their meetings when they planned this devious plan? Because if all you're going on is this article, then you're way jumping the gun. Brisson is just listening. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:53 PM
PredFred

As far as the "CBA Buster" talk...I don't think any Owner in the league is going to want to pay him any more than they have to...they still vote yes. Current players wont vote it down due to Crosby either...He'll just be taking more of the pie that they could have if there were some "special" exemption

Old
07-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal

The days of not holding players accountable for the negotiations of their agents are over. I hold any player just as liable for any actions or words his agent utters.

Brisson is just trying to interfere with the CBA. For that I have some contempt.

Old
07-06-2005, 06:57 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egotist
This seems like an obvious ploy to get Crosby some sort of exemption from the new entry level salary structure in the new CBA.

Even if its not, let him rot there in a 2nd-rate league on top of a lonely pile of money if that's where he wants to play.
I think we'll be seeing lots of stories like this ----- all in an attempt to hold the NHL hostage . . . . if he (or his agent) is going to play that game, let him go . . . . there are more than enough hungry, talented, young stars in the league that want to be here.

(And for what it's worth, I think this is all his agent's move ---- I think the kid would elect to play in the NHL if he was given his druthers)

Old
07-06-2005, 07:01 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
OR

maybe he is trying to dictate where he ends up in the NHL. There is no way he goes to Carolina to rot there forever. If he gets drafted by Carolina, I bet anything he goes to Europe (and I dont blame him the way that franchise is run).

Maybe Sid goes and plays in the Swiss League, make an exorbitant amount of money for a couple of years, then re-enter the NHL entry draft in 2 years so that when he plays at the entry level contract, he has already pocketed an insane amount of money to hold him over for three years until he starts making the big bucks.
That would set a horrible, horrible precedent . . . . . . what happens next year when Kessel doesn’t want to go to Washington, Pittsburgh, or Phoenix.

Old
07-06-2005, 07:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

As Harry Sinden told Joe Juneau in 1988 when Juneau threatened to sign in Switzerland,"He better learn how to yodel"

Old
07-06-2005, 07:06 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
Ok, so, im nowhere pro-player in this mess, but if Im Sydney and I have the choice to make 850K plus 85K bonus a year for 4 yrs or 10 million dollars over 3 years, Ill take the 10 Million, play in Europe for three years, then sign as a FA in the NHL in 2008. Honestly.

From a financial standpoint, this is a complete complete no brainer. Take the money, get paid, and come to the NHL as a FA and make even more money as a seasoned player ready to play in the NHL instead of a rookie getting under a mil a year.

If Crosby DOESNT sign this deal with Lugano, I'll vomit.

I want to see him in the NHL too, dont get me wrong, but financially, this sets him up for life NHL or no-NHL.
Could he do that or does the team that drafted him hold his rights until he's 28?

Old
07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
That would set a horrible, horrible precedent . . . . . . what happens next year when Kessel doesn’t want to go to Washington, Pittsburgh, or Phoenix.
I am not really sure on the rules in situations like this. Is there anything stopping a player from going overseas if he is not happy with his situation here? If there is not anything in place to prevent this, than I can understand someone wanting to improve their situation. (even though I dont agree with it.)

Old
07-06-2005, 07:18 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7
I am not really sure on the rules in situations like this. Is there anything stopping a player from going overseas if he is not happy with his situation here? If there is not anything in place to prevent this, than I can understand someone wanting to improve their situation. (even though I dont agree with it.)
Any player can elect not to sign with the team that drafted him and either go back into the draft or play overseas . . . . if he plays over seas he is defected and the team that drafted him hold his rights for a certain number of years.

I just don't want hockey players saying they will only play for X or Y team (like we see with football draftees)

Old
07-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike
Crosby isn't worth a special clause.

Outside the die hard hockey fans, no one knows (or particularly cares) who Crosby is. He is not Gretzky or Lemieux. He is not the NHL's savior.

No player is worth a special clause as far as I'm concerned..If he wants to go...well go..

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
07-06-2005, 07:31 PM
BINGO

thank you

Closed Thread