HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Crosby Negotiating with Swiss Club

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
As Harry Sinden told Joe Juneau in 1988 when Juneau threatened to sign in Switzerland,"He better learn how to yodel"

Old
07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Slapshot17

I believe Sidney Crosby will be playing hockey in the NHL next year.

However this is big news, because I honestly believe that the NHL will lose some of the European players because of both the Rookie Cap and the Salary Cap in General. Now let me point out that I believe in this new system and I think it will make the league better but I do believe that there are certain European players that will say why do we want to goto North America when we can make more money playing at home. The NHL has prided itself on having the best players in the world, but that may soon change. It will be an interesting story to follow. The hockey will still be great, but the makeup of the league may be different.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
He obviously will be. He is leading the "re-launching" of the NHL.

This is just precautionary talk, IMO...
Completely agree.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
no13matssundin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26
Also, if your the NHLPA and IMG, the last you want is to "REALLY" go to Europe. Not only will this kid bring in more dough, as mention above, but HE is a revenue generator....which increases revenues....which will increase ALL player salaries in a linked system. Think, don't assume.
Randy
Think, dont assume??

Um, im not the one ASSUMING that he's gonna bring in big dough from merchandising, promotionals, et al... im the one talking about the ACTUAL 10 million hes in the process of being offered right now by Lugano, why its more appealing from a right-now financial point-of-view and not probabilities of possible monies to be given him the future by companies. As it has been stated, hes already got two deals from different companies and thats not stopping IMG from looking at the basics: 10 Million is more than the NHL rookie salary + bonus.

Simple math: 10 Million Dollars over 3 years as opposed to 935,000$ a year (after the 10% rookie max signing bonus) makes more financial sense.

Read, Randy, dont Assume.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin

Simple math: 10 Million Dollars over 3 years as opposed to 935,000$ a year (after the 10% rookie max signing bonus) makes more financial sense.
Crosby won't turn down the NHL if that opportunity arises. This is just a precautionary measure by him and his agent. It's that simple.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:15 PM
SENSible1*

More smoke from Brisson and IMG, what a shock?

Why anyone would take this seriously is beyond me.

P.S. How are the lawsuits they promised over the unsigned rookies coming along? How about the lawsuits from Joe Thorton and co. to get UFA status?...Complete and utter joke...

Old
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Otter

2 thoughts:

1: Seems to me that all the Swedish players have always been threatening to leave anyway. Is that on topic? ...almost.

2: If the on ice product is awesome, I will worry more about the players who do play than the ones who don't.

3rd thought! OA will never play for the Caps. Of this I am sure. That would be way to cool.

4th! I miss Dale Hunter.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:24 PM
craig1

Quote:
Think, dont assume??

Um, im not the one ASSUMING that he's gonna bring in big dough from merchandising, promotionals, et al... im the one talking about the ACTUAL 10 million hes in the process of being offered right now by Lugano, why its more appealing from a right-now financial point-of-view and not probabilities of possible monies to be given him the future by companies. As it has been stated, hes already got two deals from different companies and thats not stopping IMG from looking at the basics: 10 Million is more than the NHL rookie salary + bonus.

Well, Crosby could do that, but he would then need to take the rookie salary again if he wanted to play in the NHL. At that point, he would have lost out on both revenue from sponsorship deals and potential revenue from deals due to lost exposure and potential loss of goodwill. It becomes an issue of Crosby's confidence in his abilities......Does he want to take more guaranteed upfront and risk a larget risk adjusted reward in the future, or take a little smaller amount upfront, building towards a larger reward in the future.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Remember the offer from the WHA? 5 million a year? He turned it down, because he wants to play in the NHL. It's the same in this case. Money is not the most important thing in life (although, it could be argued that it is for professional athletes and owners.)

Old
07-06-2005, 08:36 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Remember the offer from the WHA? 5 million a year? He turned it down, because he wants to play in the NHL. It's the same in this case. Money is not the most important thing in life (although, it could be argued that it is for professional athletes and owners.)
He never turned it down because it was never legit.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Think, dont assume??

But the next round of endorsements will be much, much higher if he is an NHL star. That's what he's giving up. He won't want to come back to the rookie cap after making $3.3m year, but he won't get big sponsorship $ playing in Europe for another 3 years.

Also, he might not be eligble to reenter the draft if he is in a European league, depending on the CBA. He could well see his rights retained by his drafting team for a long time.

Still, if wants to chase immediate $ over future $, well that is his life and his choice. Enjoy the chocolate.

Old
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Why is it that every attempt by a player to make more money gets slammed by the same group of people on these boards?

So Crosby wants to make some cash? He's exploring his options. Covering his bases.
I mean, as we speak, we've got the half the freakin' board arguing about whether their team should have a 3 percent chance of drafting him, or a 5 percent chance of drafting him.
Evidently, the draft has been a contentious issue among the owners, too. All of whom want the chance to win the sweepstakes and build their marketing campaigns around the kid for the next 10 years.

And yet he's villified for exploring his options. He's greeted with "good riddance." Or "Cro$by." Or "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Old
07-06-2005, 09:03 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu
It doesn't appear like a plot inasmuch as it looks like Brisson and IMG attempted to keep this quiet. I suppose the conspiracy theorists will suggest that this was all orchrestrated, but I doubt it.

Like Brisson says, it would be negligent for them NOT to listen.
Coinspiracy theorists? "Attempted to keep this quiet"?

I am not sure if I can help you, youngster (and I am sure you must be a youngster if you are that gullible).

Old
07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Lard_Lad

Forgetting about Crosby's side of it for a minute...does this make any sense at all for Lugano? Their arena seats 7200, their attendance tends to be under 5000, and the top end of their salary range is under a million dollars per year. $10 million for three years, with a big chunk of that apparently paid as a signing bonus, just doesn't seem like a plausible offer for them to make.

Old
07-06-2005, 09:14 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
crosby isn't bound to the Q...they have no way of forcing him to return and rimouski has already basically conceded that he won't be back.

and with no nhl/chl agreement they can't even stop him from playing in the ahl either.
I am pretty sure you are wrong about that. Junior players do sign binding contracts that extend for the duration of their eligibility. If he signs elsewhere, he is in breach of contract and would be enjoined by any court from playing elsewhere. What's more, he would be liable for damages for breach of contract.

Old
07-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
Forgetting about Crosby's side of it for a minute...does this make any sense at all for Lugano? Their arena seats 7200, their attendance tends to be under 5000, and the top end of their salary range is under a million dollars per year. $10 million for three years, with a big chunk of that apparently paid as a signing bonus, just doesn't seem like a plausible offer for them to make.
Of course it doesn't make financial sense...just like the salaries coming from Ak Bars Kazan didn't make sense.

Old
07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
You seem to be under the impression that hockey teams are supposed to make money. I guess Bettman really has won.

Old
07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
I find it funny how easy it is for you all to turn down someone elses millions.
From the same people that want to give away other people's millions (not necessarily you )

Old
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
mackdogs*

Hell will freeze over before he plays in Europe (although maybe then he'll be offered even more to play in hell). Empty threat, posturing by his agent... call it what ya want it's a bluff. Sid'll lace em up in the NHL next year mark my words.

Old
07-06-2005, 09:51 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
Well, Crosby could do that, but he would then need to take the rookie salary again if he wanted to play in the NHL. At that point, he would have lost out on both revenue from sponsorship deals and potential revenue from deals due to lost exposure and potential loss of goodwill. It becomes an issue of Crosby's confidence in his abilities......Does he want to take more guaranteed upfront and risk a larget risk adjusted reward in the future, or take a little smaller amount upfront, building towards a larger reward in the future.
exactly... what are his assumptions of his future cash flow... IMG should be able to do a DCF model even if he couldn't.

Old
07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Of course it doesn't make financial sense...just like the salaries coming from Ak Bars Kazan didn't make sense.
Well, they made "sense" only because their owner had come into about a bazillion dollars through his oil business & he was willing to throw a good chunk of it away to try to win the championship for the city's anniversary.

It was a one-time aberration, I'm pretty sure you won't see those salaries there again.

That said, I think this is probably just agent speak. But if it's not, it could well be the best thing that could happen. The kid will get the millions no 18-year old should be without and his agent will get his. The neverending bickering over how to conduct this year's draft will vanish because Crosby is the only reason anyone gives a damn about the draft, anyway. If he's out of the picture, the controversy will just go away. The kid will have up to a few years (article says he would have an "out" clause) to hone his skills so when he skates across the ocean and returns to the NHL, he'll be better prepared to be annointed Pope... or king... or whatever.

Brilliant.

Last edited by Boltsfan2029: 07-06-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old
07-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Larionov

vCash: 50
I'm not sure how many of you read Sports Illustrated, but they did a review in there of the top 100 money makers in American sports. For pretty much all of them, both in team and individual sports, the endorsement deals were cumulatively worth far more than their actual earnings from playing their sport. Tiger Woods is the most extreme example, earning about $6 million on the PGA Tour last year but raking in $80 million in endorsements.

If Crosby goes to Europe, he would be throwing away millions in endorsement deals. These first two deals are peanuts, much like Gretzky's endorsements in the early days. There is millions more to be made for the young man almost immediately in endorsements if he stays in North America, even more if he gets drafted by a Canadian club.

Crosby's not going anywhere unless his agent is a total fool, which he isn't.

Old
07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov
If Crosby goes to Europe, he would be throwing away millions in endorsement deals.
Not to ask a stupid question, but do they not have endorsement deals in Europe?

Old
07-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Mr Sakich

I highly doubt this rumour. The lugana arena seats 5,000 with another 1700 standing room. They have never averaged 5,000 per game and that number includes children under 12 who get in free. If they average 5,000 paying customers per game at 35 franc, no freebies, for every game in their season, their total season gate revenue is 3,850,000 US Dollar

Didn't the WHA offer him 2 mill untill he realized they had no money? Maybe he should ask Mario how much a contract is worth with a team with no money. If Thei total gate is 3.8 mill, almost no broadcasting revenue, almost no corporate support and they are offerring him 3.3 mill, chances are they are headed for the poor house.

Old
07-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I highly doubt this rumour. The lugana arena seats 5,000 with another 1700 standing room. They have never averaged 5,000 per game and that number includes children under 12 who get in free. If they average 5,000 paying customers per game at 35 franc, no freebies, for every game in their season, their total season gate revenue is 3,850,000 US Dollar

Didn't the WHA offer him 2 mill untill he realized they had no money? Maybe he should ask Mario how much a contract is worth with a team with no money. If Thei total gate is 3.8 mill, almost no broadcasting revenue, almost no corporate support and they are offerring him 3.3 mill, chances are they are headed for the poor house.
Mr. Sakich, I am disappointed to see a good poster like yourself slandering the fabulous WHA What proof have ye that Mr. Hull didn't have a fantastic sum of money waiting for Sid the Kid?? Shame on ye

Closed Thread